1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ireland is the Man for Ross (and therefore the fans)

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Da 'Fins, Jan 13, 2012.

1. PhinsRDbest

PhinsRDbest Transform and Transcend

Jan 5, 2010
    the next dimension
    7-9, 7-9, 6-10. Nobody should be safe. A good owner would not show any allegiances. Fact is Fisher was #1 on his list and if you have to get rid of a guy who you think is a "good" gm to get your top choice of HC you have to make that move.

jw3102 likes this.
  2. Tin Indian

Tin Indian Rockin' The Bottom End Club Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Palm Bay Florida
    What seems to be lost in the mix is how completely devoid of talent the team was when Parcells and Co. got here. It took alot of work to improve that steaming pile of dung to what I think is a real Qb and an offensive lineman away from being an upper level team. Ireland and Ross are not the devil here. If they can have any blame it is the same blame that should be shared by everyone in charge of this organization, including Shula, going all the way back to a few years after Dan Marino was drafted. There has been NO real investment at Quarterback save a pile of squandered 2nd round picks. I don't care who is coaching this team because it will not improve until the Dolphins finally make the investment in a legitimate Qb prospect. I think that Ireland and Ross will make the neccessary moves to secure one. Frankly, with the way this thing with Fisher went and the embarrassment from the Harbaugh fiasco last year, I don't see they have a choice. At least if they want actual fans in the stands for the foreseeable future.

Bumrush and padre31 like this.
  3. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I don't know why you would think that's the case and if you have anything to support it with.

4. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Ross chose Ireland over Fisher

http://www.dolphinstalk.com/

Well, no surprise, and can we now put the 'Fisher likes Ireland" stuff to bed?

He maybe liked him, doesn't trust him.

5. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    Not completely about "trust". Fisher probably feels he was burned in Tennessee and was absolutely adamant that he gets to help select the groceries. his success depends on it in his own mind. It doesn't imply that he couldn't work well with Ireland.

6. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    4 yrs in, the performance is unacceptable, we should be a contender by now, instead we are sub .500 team and not a single player or front office job should be safe...not a single one.

PSG and Adam Strange like this.
  7. FinNasty

FinNasty Alabama don’t want this... Staff Member Club Member

Dec 1, 2007
    It says Fisher likes Ireland and would bring him into StL. Fisher just wants final authority to shop for his groceries, even though he has faith in Ireland's ability.

Ireland is a pretty good GM. I wouldn't want to part ways with him unless I was sure we would have a better personnel man in place. And that won't be easy to do...

8. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

Fisher most likely wouldn't trust any GM after Vince Young got him fired.

9. finsincebirth

finsincebirth Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2007
    I think this is such a poor misrepresentation of what Roz's intentions and and thoughts about head coaches were. I think everyone saw Jeff Fisher with a value of 10 while other candidates have a value of 2. Here you have a value gap of 8 and if you miss on Fisher then you really did blow the offseason. However, I think Ross saw the value gap to be smaller, and in my opinion he felt it wasn't large enough to give away personnel control. If Ross thought the value gap was truly an 8 then fisher would be our coach no doubts about it.

Also, wasn't Peterson the one who recommended Fisher. Maybe Ross was never really convinced?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

10. bigbry

bigbry Huge Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Colorado

And how difficult would it be to improve "that steaming pile of dung" ?? Not trying to be argumentative.

Parcells saw an easy job/money. What we got out of that was a year we caught everyone off guard and a few very very good football players in which we might be able to build around if their expiration date doesn't run out.

Ross should of fired Sparano at 0-7, which would of put us into a steep, spiral spin into the top 2 draft picks. New HC?- no problem. Fan excitement? -no problem.

11. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Purist Emeritus

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    When you take a practice off and your coach calls the police and says you have suicidal tendencies...WTF?

It simply wasn't a good match between Ireland and Fisher, I'm glad we passed.

12. Tin Indian

Tin Indian Rockin' The Bottom End Club Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Palm Bay Florida
    Quarterback. Whatever it takes to get one they must do it. Bellichek was nothing without Brady but a sub .500 coach who was close to being run out of town. He backed into one of the all time greats on a 5th round flier and all of a sudden he's a genius. Look how the Colts, a team that most people thought pretty highly of and had won 10+ games a year for the last decade were exposed as a joke without Manning. With the goofy rules in place in the NFL these days, if you don't have a top flite franchise Qb, you don't have anything. No Qb, No winning. End of story.

Fin D likes this.
  13. FinSane

FinSane Cynical Dolphins Fan

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    In other words, Fisher would want Ireland(or any other GM) to work FOR HIM, not other way around. Fisher wanted to be the guy in charge of a football team, didn't want to be working under the authority of a GM.

padre31 likes this.
  14. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
  15. Pandarilla

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    He just doesn't want Young 2.0

16. BigDogsHunt

BigDogsHunt Enough talk...prove it!

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    In other words, in most FOOTBALL minds, STL was and is a better situation currently than MIA.

17. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    Bush was not a free agent. He was still a member of the Saints and Ireland had to give a draft pick to get him. The best free agent running back was Darren Sproles and he replaced Bush on the Saints without the Saints having to give up any draft picks. If you look at the total yardage gained by Sproles this year in New Orleans, you will see that he had far more total yardage than Bush. His team is also in the playoffs this year while Bush is sitting at home watching the playoffs. The Dolphins would have been better off saving the draft pick and signing Sproles.

As far as Ireland picking the best FA QB available. The reason a QB becomes a free agent in the first place is because his previous team doesn't think he is good enough to be their starting QB. So basically what you are saying is that Ireland picked the best of what no one else wanted as their starting QB to begin with. Of course Ireland was the same man who drafted Pat White and Chad Henne, so that tells you what he really knows about picking a quality NFL QB. Matt Moore was an effected backup QB for the Dolphins this season, I will give him credit for that. He is not the long term answer at the position and based on the QB picks by Ireland so far, I have no confidence that he will get it right this time.

18. Pandarilla

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    They've got a young franchise QB, of course it's a better team considering our draft position.

19. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    Free agent or trade, I meant on the veteran market. Sproles isn't a better runningback than Bush, nor would he have been able to produce the same kind of receiving yards here as he would in New Orleans. Nor did he have far more yards than Bush. Unless you're counting returns, which has nothing to do with him being a runningback.

That's really absolute gibberish. Who gives a **** if Moore went under the radar when his performance proved that analysis was incorrect?

Back-up quarterbacks don't perform like Moore did this year, and when they do they lose the "back-up" aspect very quickly.

20. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    They've got a guy they paid a lot of resources to that they're married to for a while and has performed well below the curve for young starters. He's not a franchise quarterback, he's just paid like one.

Tin Indian likes this.
  21. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Jeff Fisher was so impressed with Jeff Ireland that he wanted veto power over Ireland's decisions.

Yep, makes sense.

PSG and jw3102 like this.
  22. Anonymous

Anonymous Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 5, 2009
    I'm a fan of Ireland, so I see this as a good move, personally.

Just hire the candidate who gives you the best interview. I think that will be Mike Zimmer.

23. bigbry

bigbry Huge Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Colorado
    Whats teams would trade for Moore to be their starter?

24. Aquafin

Aquafin New Member

Jun 16, 2011
    the poor house
    YES I did watch the season yet I will admitt that the problem was just as you said and that was what i meant to say so I accept that mistake . but if Manning snubed San Deigo dont you think it could happen to us . with the reputation Miami has that is a big fear of mine regardless of how real it might be . so the first part i accept blame but the last part I am telling you that we are being killed in the public perception that draft picks can very easy hold out which it shouldnt happen but it could happen if the perception isnt corrected and soon.

25. PhinsRDbest

PhinsRDbest Transform and Transcend

Jan 5, 2010
    the next dimension
    So you think Fisher was not the #1 guy on Ross's list?

26. Bumrush

Bumrush Stable Genius Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    More importantly, can you REALLY blame them for thinking Henne was the answer after 2009? The guy played at a level not seen since Marino and I'd venture to guess that at least 90% of the people in here were very excited about Henne leading this team in 2010.

27. jinx

jinx Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2010
    I'm sure Fisher would hire Ted Thompson too but would still want veto power.

28. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    Who knows? Teams have traded significant resources for guys who have done less and done it not as well.

Kevin Kolb, Matt Schaub, AJ Feeley, Matt Cassel come to mind immediately.

29. jw3102

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    Zero, if he were released by the Dolphins tomorrow, he would only be signed as a backup QB by any other team in the NFL. The fact that some people on here actually feel he is a legitimate starter in the NFL shows how low their expectations for a quality NFL QB have become since Marino retired from the Dolphins.

PhinsRDbest likes this.
  30. jw3102

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    I understand your putting Matt Cassel and AJ Feeley in this discussion because neither of them ever lived up to expectations once they became their new teams starter. I think because of injuries this past season, it is too early to know if Kolb will become an effective long term starter for the Cardinals. As far as Schaub is concerned, are you serious? I would take him as the Dolphins QB right now. He has been a top ten QB in the NFL for the last three seasons and he was having a great season this year before going down with a season ending injury.

The problem with the Texans before this season was certainly not Schaub and the Texans offense. It was the defense that was the reason the Texans collapsed the two seasons prior to this year. If the Dolphins traded their first round pick for Schaub this year, I think it would be a great trade for the Dolphins. I also don't think the Texans would ever make that trade.

31. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/passing/sort/quarterbackRating/seasontype/2

Seriously, Tavaris Jackson? Mark Sanchez? Colt McCoy? Rex Grossman? Do you have any idea who were starting quarterbacks in the NFL last year?

If you think they are better than Matt Moore this really isn't a fact based argument. Or you're ranking how much you like them as human beings. It clearly isn't about football performance.

32. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    You are misunderstanding what I said. Go look at what Matt Schaub did before he was traded.

33. jw3102

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    I went back and read your comment again. You are correct, I did misunderstand the comment you were making. I read it the first time and thought you were were referring to the play of these QB's once they were the starting QB's on their new teams. I apologize for the mistake. We obviously don't agree on much on this forum, but I certainly have no problem admitting when I am wrong in reading the comments of a poster on this forum.

Fin D likes this.
  34. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Then we're even better off without Jeff Fisher. Ted Thompson deserves far more deference than Jeff Fisher when it comes to roster-building.

35. jw3102

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    It really doesn't matter what I think about these QB's. I just don't think that any of these teams above would make a trade with the Dolphins in an attempt to replace any of these QB's with Moore. I think Moore is seen around the NFL as a quality backup QB and nothing more. I take nothing away from the play of Moore over the course of the time he was the Dolphins starter. I just don't think that he is a long term starter in the NFL. That is my opinion, and you have your opinion, I can live with that and I certainly hope you can also.

36. jw3102

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    Well Fisher certainly has the opportunity to hire Thompson now that he is with the Rams and the team has no GM. I doubt seriously though that the Packers are going to let Thompson go to the Rams. If Thompson was the GM and Fisher were the HC, I doubt that Fisher would have a problem with the players Thompson was drafting or selecting in free agency. Thompson has a record of success to back up his time as a GM. Ireland does not, and that is why Fisher wanted final say over all player transactions with the Dolphins.

Ireland certainly hasn't proved that he is capable of selecting players which are capable of providing a consistent winning team in Miami. Thompson on the other hand has shown that he is one of the top GM's in the entire NFL. In a few years, Dolphin fans will look back and rue the day, Ross selected Ireland over Fisher.

37. jw3102

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    If you are watching the game between the Saints and 49er's today and you still think that Bush was a better pickup for the Dolphins than Sporles would have been. I would love to have some of whatever you are drinking. Sporles is a a much better receiver out of the backfield and he is an excellent returner in the the kicking game. Bush on the other hand was one of a number thousand yard rushers in the NFL this past season.

While Bush performed well during the last part of the season as the Dolphins primary running back. Sproles was an effective player for the Saints though out the entire season. I am sure if you asked the Saints front office and Sean Peyton, who they would rather have as a player on the Saints at this time. They would all tell you that Sproles is the better all around player and they got him in free agency without having to give up anything in return.

I will admit that Bush turned out to be a better back than I thought he would be, but he is nowhere near the overall offensive and special teams threat Sproles is.

38. Da 'Fins

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    We don't really know because he was not in charge. Neither of us know. But, that was not, and nothing I've said in this thread, is a defense of Fisher. It's not about Fisher - it's about Ross' unwavering trust in Ireland.

39. Da 'Fins

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    I've probably been looking at drafts since before you were born. By "middling" I'm saying "middle-of-the-pack." If you think Ireland's drafts were at the top of the heap, argue the case - it's easy to criticize every opinion. It's another thing to actually make a point that is willing to be open to criticism. The reality is, this team - even as it is constructed today - still has several holes and is mediocre/inconsistent on both O and D. And, the one constant since Cameron left is Jeff Ireland. Perhaps he'll get better - certainly hope he becomes a guru - and we can argue (ultimately only by surmising & assumption) that all the "bad people" drafted were on someone else and not Ireland, but he's been the GM.

PSG likes this.
  40. Da 'Fins

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    Just have to say again how elated we must all be that Ireland and the Dolphins passed on Gronkowski (with a TE need) to draft the great Koa Misi who can't beat out 83 yr old Jason Taylor.

PSG and bigbry like this.