1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ireland & Coaching Fit

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Da 'Fins, Jan 20, 2012.

1. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    I know it's a bit late in the game because we are on the verge - evidently - of hiring a new coach (a decision may already have been made at this writing).

But, I've been thinking about this for several days. It really is not a good fit - as much as I want it to happen - for a WCO coach like Philbin (or anyone else) to come and work with Ireland.

What great organizations have is a consistent philosophy up and down the organization. In other words the GM and scouts for Green Bay, for example, all understand the offense and defense - the system for which they are scouting. They know what players will fit in their system and are excellent at scouting those (particularly Green Bay's offense). Same could be said for Pittsburgh. These teams have a the entire organization on board with their system and look for players that are talented but who fit with their system.

This is an often over looked feature in scouting. it's not just - "does this guy have talent" but does this guy project to our system? We see this, of course, on an obvious level. A 3-4 DE who goes 6'5, 290-300 is not necessarily going to fit well in a 4-3.

But, the same is true for RB's and WR's that may be better suited for a WCO than for another offense. Same is with QB's.

Personally, I am not sure Ireland would have the ability to effectively scout for a WCO coach and that's probably why it's not a great fit. I'm sure Ross would love that style - but I also don't think he knows enough about the game to really understand what's necessary.

What really needs to happen with Miami is a man at the top running the team - with Ross out of the picture - who is president of the org and can see the whole big picture. And it should be someone who really knows the league and football and can build an organization from top to bottom. Personally, I am convinced Jeff Ireland is not that guy. I don't know what will happen with this next coach but I do not see this going to a SB championship, imo, without someone with more organizational ability and football knowhow to run the Dolphins.

2. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii

I don't think Ireland has the ability to effectively scout for players, no matter what type of offense or defense the team is playing. I also don't think that a head coach should be rejected by Ross just because of the inability of Ireland to select the right type of players for a WCO. If Ross feels that everything must be done to satisfy what Ireland wants. He should just name Ireland the head coach/GM, and let's see what Ireland really knows when it comes to building a winning organization.

Ireland has been flying under the radar for the last four years, while he has yet to prove that he is capable of being an effective GM in the NFL. He no longer has Parcells or Sparano here to blame the poor record of the three years on. Perhaps after next season, Ross will finally see where the real problem is and he will accept that he should have fired Ireland at the same time he fired Sparano.

Da 'Fins likes this.
  3. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Players are players, and while there are some situations in which a player would be tossed for a scheme fit issue, I don't think we're really in those kind of circumstances.

In terms of offensive schemes, you can't really at all use WCO, Coryell, or what have you to really identify what a team does. It's all blended together and prone to so much variation that it's almost meaningless, it's more about playcalling terminology than anything. There's no such thing as a WCO runningback. Different backs do well in different blocking schemes, but blocking schemes aren't really attached to offensive trees anymore. There are more zone blocking than man blocking WCOs these days, and Bill Walsh was a man blocking guy. Receivers are the same kind of thing, it used to be that WCOs were about short timing routes, but route-trees have blended together between offenses.

Defensively I think it's less of an issue. It's positions and responsibility. Those 6'5" 290+ pound defensive ends might not make good edge rushers, but they're still the prototypical build for 4-3 DTs, and even play the same techniques and positions in the current Nickel package.

I think the big issue is about if Paul Soliai will be retained, and even then, I'm of the opinion we should let him walk even if we continue to run a 2-gap 3-4.

Da 'Fins likes this.