1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ireland: 2nd-rounders risk losing up-front money

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by ATVZ400, Jul 10, 2008.

1. ATVZ400

ATVZ400 Senior Member

Mar 22, 2008
    parts unknown, NJ
    Phins to sign 3rd rd pick Kendall Langford any day now

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/blogs/..._losin.html?cxntfid=blogs_inside_the_dolphins

Bpk, Crunkcore, Larryfinfan and 5 others like this.
  2. Regan21286

Regan21286 MCAT's, EMT's, AMCAS, ugh

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    Any day now...

3. ATVZ400

ATVZ400 Senior Member

Mar 22, 2008
    parts unknown, NJ
    http://www.palmbeachpost.com/blogs/..._losin.html?cxntfid=blogs_inside_the_dolphins

Crunkcore and alen1 like this.
  4. ATLFINFAN

ATLFINFAN Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 23, 2007
    I understand the NEED for them to be in camp at the start, and the fact that we all want them there, but the only one that REALLY matters to me, this year, is Merling. He is the only one that SHOULD see some playing time this year. Henne should stay on the bench for a year, and the rest are backups this year.

5. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

I want them ALL signed by July 25, someone please let Jeff know for me will you?

6. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    http://www.palmbeachpost.com/blogs/...008/07/10/ireland_2ndrounders_risk_losin.html

There is a clear message to the holdouts and their agents .Less bonus money for those who sign late.

Crunkcore and Celtkin like this.
  7. Skeet84

Skeet84 New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Thanks Crunch. I hope they are both signed by training camp

CrunchTime likes this.
  8. finserg

finserg Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Linden,NJ
    Hope they get signed today

CrunchTime likes this.
  9. texasPHINSfan

texasPHINSfan New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Bellevue, WA
    well this shoots out of the water any theories that there was no rush to get them signed. clearly the fins want these guy signed and in camp. Therefore, its obvious that it is the players and their agents that are holding up the process at this point.

hope it gets resolved soon.

CrunchTime likes this.
  10. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Well to be fair, Ireland JUST got back from vacation himself (from reports).

11. ATVZ400

ATVZ400 Senior Member

Mar 22, 2008
    parts unknown, NJ

I'm calling Jeff right now.....:lol:

12. Crunkcore

Crunkcore The Crunk One

Jun 17, 2008
    As long as they're all in TC, thats what matters.

13. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

I don't know, I got the impression that Merling is a project. I think there is speculation as to whether he is a 34 OLB or a 34 defensive end. somewhere I read that his weight was up around 290 at one point prior to the draft. If that's the case, it would appear that he would be more of a 34 defensive end. Based on the speculation, my guess is that he'll be in the rotation and play some this year but not be that "first round" impact player (okay... He was technically selected in the second round).it also could be that he is going to spend this year as a defense of end rather than the standup outside linebacker. Then next year after he's gained some strength and learn the game a little and of course depending on his weight he could convert back to the standup outside linebacker.

Either way, he needs to get signed and into camp. I wouldn't say I'm concerned at this point that he's not signed, but it certainly bears watching.

14. ATLFINFAN

ATLFINFAN Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 23, 2007
    I understand what you are saying, and we are both just guessing, but I would be somewhat surprised to know that we spent a #32 pick on a project that wasnt a QB. He was rated much higher than 32 with his health being the possible problem. I think he gets into the mix early. We will just have to wait and see who's guess is closer.

15. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

I would be happy if Henne misses some of camp. That just increases the chance Beck will get the starting job and, then, a fair audition to see how he performs with decent coaching, time to prepare, and a decent O-line in front of him.

I fear we won;t give John a long enough look, despite all his talents and leadership qualities. Having Henne pushing to start will create a quicker hook for Beck, so PLEASE CHad HOLD OUT!!!! As long as you want.

By week seven of the season we'll know if Beck is progressing or regressing. That's when I'd care about the other QB's being ready.

Beck was a 2nd round pick. Let's fully explore his value before letting henne shove beck to the bench.

16. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

By the way, i lov Jeff ireland.

:) Even in his media pieces he is negotiating... letting the picks know that the later they sign, the less of the rookie pool money is left for them.

Pitting Henne against Merling is a good strategy (unless they have the same agent)... the same way we locked down Jake Long early, I'll bet, by letting him feel the heat of knowing there were other rookies competing for what he wanted.

17. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    I wouldnt mind seeing Beck regress. He did rather well in college. :D

Bpk likes this.