1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Interesting top listing of draft prospects

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by Lee2000, Mar 9, 2013.

1. Lee2000

Lee2000 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Pearl, Mississippi
  2. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    man do i love me some tavon austin at #12

ATLFINFAN and ToddPhin like this.
  3. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    At 12 I want a guy who can help end Brady's career. We ain't winning **** till we can deal with him. Austin would make a fine fall back option though.

miamiron and P h i N s A N i T y like this.
  4. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    .... see signature. :shifty:

ATLFINFAN and Alex13 like this.
  5. P h i N s A N i T y

P h i N s A N i T y My Porpoise in Life

Apr 19, 2012
    Treasure Coast, FL
    jarvis jones - #53......... ok.

Bpk likes this.
  6. Alex13

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    wouldn't mind his buddy bailey later on as well :shifty:

ToddPhin likes this.
  7. Alex13

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    i'm done with that theory, from now on we have to freaking outscore them

pumpdogs likes this.
  8. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

While I do think he'll translate well, he won't be facing Javon Harris or Demontre Hurst a lot on Sunday's in my estimation.

9. jboogie

jboogie The sky is NOT falling!

Rhodes as the 7th best CB suprised me at #59.

10. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Not sure your point, KM. Those 2 guys aren't the only ones he's embarrassed the past 4 years. The list is long, and there's plenty of quality NFL caliber players on it. Tony Jefferson was supposed to be the last line of Oklahoma's defense that Austin gashed for 400+ yards, and he's a potential 3rd round starting safety, no? Vaccaro & Eric Reid are potential 1st rounders, and they didn't fare too well vs him either... nor did one of the country's top slot corners Tyron Mathieu.

pumpdogs and MrClean like this.
  11. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Agreed on Sheldon and Dion as top 10 picks, GM, you should hope for one to drop, you can unleash them on brady for the next 8 years, can't go wrong with Eifert or Austin...

pumpdogs likes this.
  12. Boomer

Boomer Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 30, 2007
    Xavier Rhodes is a top 15 pick.

13. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    Austin at 12? I don't know about that. I wouldn't take him over Patterson, that's for damn sure. I don't see why CP couldn't be used in a similar role with us as Tavon...he's just as quick, elusive, and agile despite being 40 lbs heavier and half a foot taller. I mean we'd be drafting Austin for these attributes and the ability to use him to create mismatches, not because he's some great polished receiver.

14. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I don't agree that CP is as quick, elusive or agile as Austin. I don't believe he's as fast either. I would also say that CP drops more passes.

Bpk, gandalfin, djphinfan and 5 others like this.
  15. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    that would be my choice.
    -2nd choice would be a TE

Austin is exciting, but I just don't see spending the #12 pick on him.

16. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    okay, Austin is a hair quicker and faster. but pound for pound no one's a better athlete in this class than CP (Mingo is close). I'd love to have Austin but I can't take him that high, the one thing with Patterson is at least he has a chance to become a bona-fide #1 WR in the pros, which is what I'd want if I'm taking a receiver at our current spot. can't say the same for Austin, he's just too small, and with his size who knows how durable he'll be at the next level.

I mean seriously, this is ridiculous LOL...who the hell takes a small receiver this high in the draft anyway?! the one similarity all the guys taken this early in the 1st share is size.. just off the top of my head AJ Green, Julio, Floyd, Blackmon, Fitz, Calvin, Andre, Roy Williams, Blackmon & Crabtree were at least 6'1. even the guys who didn't pan out like Charles Rogers, Heyward Bey, and Mike Williams were big guys.

Austin's start/stop ability, acceleration and versatility is amazing but so is Patterson's for his size and guess what, he's just as versatile.

17. KB21

KB21 Almost Never Wrong Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    I think once the ball is in their hands, they can do similar things. Where I think they are different without looking at the size difference, is what they do from the time the ball is snapped to the time they catch the ball. IMO, Austin is a better, more consistent route runner at this time than Patterson. With that said, I have seem some things in Patterson's route running that make me believe he will get it with hard work and dedication. There are times where he does a good job of "telling a story" with his route, and he has also shown signs of being able to use his hands to create separation.

Austin still has some work to do when it comes to telling a story with his routes, but right now, I think his cuts are sharper and breaks are better than Patterson's.

What this comes down to though, IMO, is what you would rather have long term. If both players meet their relative upside, your choice is likely between a Julio Jones type of receiver in Patterson or a Percy Harvin/Randall Cobb type of receiver in Tavon Austin. At their low end, you could be looking at a Robert Meachem type of receiver in Patterson who has all sorts of ability but never realizes that potential or an Andrew Hawkins type player who is limited due to his size with Tavon Austin.

Bpk likes this.
  18. miamiron

miamiron There's always next year

Jan 4, 2008
    Kinda difficult when they score 500+ points and our QB throws for 12 touch downs

19. ATLFINFAN

ATLFINFAN Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 23, 2007
    Which is why we need play makers like Austin.

20. pocoloco

pocoloco I'm your huckleberry Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    North Chicagoland
    If we draft a 5'8" 170 slot receiver that needs "work" at 12, I'm going to kick a dog.

21. Lee2000

Mar 23, 2008
    Pearl, Mississippi
    I don't either, but why not. My rational side says take a de or cb. But my gambling risk taking side says Austin.

22. PhinsRDbest

PhinsRDbest Transform and Transcend

Jan 5, 2010
    the next dimension
    Still think Bailey is better.

Bpk, Stringer Bell and Anonymous like this.
  23. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    their so different man..Austin> Patterson, jmo.

24. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Lol..he doesn't need work.I think if we get an offer, we can drop a little and feel good about Eifert or Austin being there..

25. CANDolphan

CANDolphan Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2012
    This Percy Harvin comparison is getting insane. Percy Harvin uses his agility, speed, and strength to rip out of tackles. The only WVU WR in this draft who has any type of strength is Bailey, not Austin.

What's ironic is that when you're talking about Patterson vs Austin, and mentioning Harvin as a comparison for one of the players, you're right. But it's Patterson, not Austin. Patterson ran the football as well, quite often in fact, and he did exactly what Harvin did. Utility man. He's much bigger, much stronger, and relatively fast for a big guy.

For me, it's not even close. I'm grabbing Patterson. Has the skill set and physical makeup of a truly elite WR in the NFL. He needs work, otherwise he'd be a top 5 prospect, but I think the route tree is overblown and he's capable. He is a dedicated worker ONE YEAR in a college system.

Bpk likes this.
  26. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    you sound to me like your in love with the guy from the waist down..I've seen enough issues above the waist that take him out of the picture for me..being a great pass Catcher is important to this staff..I don't see the talent in the hands for Patterson..

27. CANDolphan

Feb 18, 2012
    Ripping out of tackles, especially the way he does it, is an indication of strength and balance. He has both in spades. I also think he's a much more natural pass catcher than you want to give him credit for but I suppose that's where we differ on the situation. His gauntlet run in the combine just showed me what I already knew - he's fluid. I dig it.

Austin is just flat out too small. He's not Percy Harvin. He's 20 lbs lighter than Percy Harvin was coming into the NFL. Twenty pounds. Not only that, Harvin was a physical monster for his 5'11 193 lb frame, because he had insane upper body strength. Austin doesn't.

Bpk likes this.
  28. Lee2000

Mar 23, 2008
    Pearl, Mississippi
    I don't know who is better, Bailey, Harvin, or Austin or anyone else. I just want to see some luck fall Miami's way. We get Turners and Naanees and Egnews, and Sean Smiths who tease us with their potential. I want to see some personnel decisons that pay off. I also want to see an offense run like a finely tuned car. Haven't seen that in Miami in a long time.

Bpk likes this.
  29. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Patterson is no doubt an impressive specimen, but we do disagree above the waist..

I'll tell you why I feel like that, I believe he's a wheelhouse player, meaning, when the ball is in his wheelhouse, he's all good, when it's outside that wheelhouse, he's not..

I also think your misrepresenting Tavon Austin and his build, he's solidly built, and has never missed a game in high school or college, never..

Patterson is a great open field runner no doubt, i also think Austin is special in the open field, not only special in his vision ( which is exactly like a great running back)and the way he sees the field, but special quicks and speed to match, makes it all kind of special.

ATLFINFAN likes this.
  30. The G Man

The G Man Git 'r doooonnne!!!

Mar 18, 2009
    I still say if we can find a way to trade down a few spots in round one, and pick up another draft pick (ideally, another second rounder) I'd do it. That said, it may be difficult finding a trade partner in the early part of this draft. Only way it happens is if one of the blue chippers falls to us at #12.

Then there's Austin. Could be that he is coveted by a team drafting mid to late first round. Easy to see him still OTB at #12. I would be very nervous taking him there myself. He may be a playmaker, but for a team with as many full time positional needs, I'd have a hard time pulling the trigger on him at #12. I'd have no trouble trading back and targeting another player (Eifert, Patterson, Patton could all still be OTB).

The Rams have two picks in the first round (#16 & #22). They could be a great trade partner. I'd love to swap firsts with them (either #16 or #22) and pick up their second rounder (#46). Not only can you get a lot of talent with six picks in the first 82 picks, but you'd have ammunition to move up in a round if need be.

Bpk likes this.
  31. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    It would be nice if the rams really wanted a player at 12, offered us 16 and 22 for our 12 and our 2b, and prolly 3a..

Take Austin and Eifert..lol.

32. Hurricane

Hurricane Guest

#3 overall? Better than Floyd and Star? I'm not sure I agree.

It's a moot point since we don't have a (1st round) need inside anymore, but no way do I rank Richardson so far ahead of Floyd & Star. If at all.

33. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    Jarvis Jones at 53,Zach Ertz at 90 .If it turns out that way sign me up for trading down.:pointlol:

Hurricane likes this.
  34. seabass0795

seabass0795 New Member

Feb 26, 2012
    Orlando
    How are not a lot of people mentioning Johnathan Cyprien at the S position. He is rated here in the top 20, and in most mock drafts he drops to the second round. It would be a huge steal if we draft him with our 2a pick.

35. PhinsRDbest

PhinsRDbest Transform and Transcend

Jan 5, 2010
    the next dimension
    I think he goes top 25

36. CANDolphan

Feb 18, 2012
    Most draftniks have him as a mid to late 2nd, so I'm not sure "steal" is adequate.

And as for misrepresenting Austin, I just don't see how I am. He's not a strong guy, he's literally 5'9 173 lbs. That's very small for the NFL. There's no other way to represent that! Pat White was considered by many to be a tough guy for his size (6'0, 195... so much bigger than Austin, actually) and the main knock on him - size - proved to be his main downfall.

I guess we will see. I certainly don't have all the answers nor am I any type of draft expert, but I just like Patterson way more than I like Austin. I like Bailey more than Austin, but I think that's because we're discussing Bailey in the 3rd and Austin in the 1st. Relative value thinking.

Bpk likes this.
  37. seabass0795

seabass0795 New Member

Feb 26, 2012
    Orlando
    I consider him a steal in the second because of his talent. He had a great Combine workout and absolutely killed in his Pro Day. I really hope we draft him because him and Reshad Jones would make the best Safety tandem in the league.

4.56 40
    18 reps of 225 pounds, 3rd among all DBs

Also I feel he is a realistic possibility because Miami scouts were watching him at the pro day, we could use an upgrade at safety, and he is a homegrown talent and the Dolphins are trying to get more players like that.

38. seabass0795

seabass0795 New Member

Feb 26, 2012
    Orlando
    Hopefully not, many mocks have him slipping to the 2nd. That would be an amazing player to add in the 2nd

39. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Seems like some of you are forgetting we may soon very well have $100 million tied up in perimeter receivers. You don't do that and then immediately spend a 1st rounder on another perimeter receiver.

What you do after dumping $100 million into perimeter receivers is grab a guy who compliments them. That's Tavon Austin, not Cordarrelle Patterson. Plus Tavon is a more polished receiver at this stage and will likely contribute early on.

Phinfanjt likes this.
  40. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    where do you come up with this? Are you just making assumptions?