Interesting article about Jon Gruden

13 replies

MarcoMarcoForum VeteranOP
Dec 14, 2011, 11:53 PM

“I miss it a ton,” he said one day, after a long morning of watching tape in Tampa. “In some ways, I can’t believe I’m not a coach.”

From the New Yorker: http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2011/12/12/111212fa_fact_sanneh?currentPage=all

Like they say about the SAT exam, the first answer that comes to mind is usually the best. Similarly, I believe the first Dolphins coaching rumor will turn out to be the one that holds true. It was back in October when Dan Pompei wrote Miami's head coaching job was Gruden's if he wanted it. There must have been some weight to the rumor because a week later, ESPN announced a five-year contract extension. It was enough to throw press and public off the scent even though the deal isn't effective until next September. I think his ideal situation would be a team with a first round pick high enough to take a top quarterback prospect while being able to pick his personnel man. No such job exists yet (A.J. Smith may be on the outs with Norv Turner in San Diego. However, just as Jim Harbaugh never wanted to leave the Bay area as the locals here have said, I suspect Jeff Fisher is waiting on a chance of returning to his SoCal stomping grounds). If Gruden were put off by the current openings, he could jump into the college coaching carousel going on right now. He may be open enough to dealing with someone not of his choice for a few months. We don't even know what happens to Jeff Ireland after April's draft anyway. Heck, the basis for a working relationship between the two might be as primarily simple as, "Jeff, get me RG3. Got it?"

Ross wants a big name? Fine. Regardless, he'd be amiss not to have each interviewee make the case he's trustworthy enough to stay for longer than two or three years. If Gruden doesn't feel the job situation is workable, they'll pick his brain for who he feels are the best prospects out there. I wouldn't be surprised if they're doing that with Bill Cowher now and with Jon you may see him give his brother Jay a recommendation.

RoninFin4RoninFin4Supporter
Dec 15, 2011, 12:13 AM

Good read. Thanks for posting that. Gruden's on the top of my list right now.

@KevinMD4

UCF FINaticUCF FINaticNew Member
Dec 15, 2011, 01:25 AM

Out of all the "big-time" coaches we have been rumored to go after (Cowher, Gruden, Billick) Gruden is the only one that appears to have that fire in his belly still. He just looks hungry. I mean he does shows with Quarterbacks and other bits all the time, he still wakes up at like 4:00am to watch tape, and he is constantly around the game. When I look at Cowher or Billick I don't see them doing anything like that at all. I, personally am hoping we get Gruden or a young up and coming coach. The worst possible scenario is getting a Cowher or Billick and them not being 100% in.

Thank you giovafin for this awesome Sig!

DevilFin13DevilFin13Supporter
Dec 15, 2011, 03:32 AM

I don't like his knock on stats. That's not a good sign to me. He doesn't elaborate on the level of stat-geekery he thinks is "bull****". But if you have that attitude I doubt you are familiar with statistics or put much stock in them. And what worries me about that is he might be similar to Sparano, stuck in his ways and not very willing to adapt or learn something new. You don't have to fully understand the methodology, but I think it would be crazy if you didn't have a statistician on staff giving you probabilities on all sorts of game situations and helping your scouting team use stats to evaluate players.

Ohio FanaticOhio FanaticSupporter
Dec 15, 2011, 06:41 AM

He's been my predicted coach for us since mid-season. Now that we can officially eliminate Cowher, Gruden makes a lot of sense. Send J-Lo to his MNF trailer to "convince" him.

testing

gamblerxgamblerxNew Member
Dec 15, 2011, 12:54 PM

Not coming.

Fin DFin DForum Veteran
Dec 15, 2011, 01:04 PM

"DevilFin13 wrote:

I don't like his knock on stats. That's not a good sign to me. He doesn't elaborate on the level of stat-geekery he thinks is "bull****". But if you have that attitude I doubt you are familiar with statistics or put much stock in them. And what worries me about that is he might be similar to Sparano, stuck in his ways and not very willing to adapt or learn something new. You don't have to fully understand the methodology, but I think it would be crazy if you didn't have a statistician on staff giving you probabilities on all sorts of game situations and helping your scouting team use stats to evaluate players.

I thought Sparano was known league wide as a stat geek?

Larry LittleLarry LittleSupporter
Dec 15, 2011, 01:18 PM

I wouldn't hate Gruden as our new head coach. Jeff Fisher/Jon Gruden/Les Miles/Bill Cowher for me, in order. I could get behind any one of them. Just get a QB.

The thing you have to remember about critics is that they can't do it themselves. - John Cleese

Fin DFin DForum Veteran
Dec 15, 2011, 01:23 PM

"Larry Little wrote:

I wouldn't hate Gruden as our new head coach. Jeff Fisher/Jon Gruden/Les Miles/Bill Cowher for me, in order. I could get behind any one of them. Just get a QB.

Ewwwww.:lol:

DevilFin13DevilFin13Supporter
Dec 15, 2011, 01:53 PM

"Finascious D wrote:

I thought Sparano was known league wide as a stat geek?

Really. That would make my opinion of him even worse.

rafaelrafaelForum Veteran
Dec 15, 2011, 02:00 PM

Sparano was definitely a stat geek. The problem was that he focused on the wrong things. It seemed like he finally recognized it when he changed his out-dated offensive philosophy and brought in Daboll.

vt_dolfanvt_dolfanSupporter
Dec 15, 2011, 05:10 PM

"gamblerx wrote:

Not coming.

Really Nostradamus......care to elaborate besides....."not coming"

"The more difficult the victory, the greater the happiness in winning"
Pele

AquafinAquafinNew Member
Dec 15, 2011, 05:30 PM

what makes people think that just because Marino talks doesnt mean he is a 100 % right there could be a smoke screen there too.

here is my coaching choices

#1 Jon Gruden

#2 Bill Cowher

#3 Les Miles the man has a big passion for football .plus he is not Nick Saban.

#4 Mike Shula if he keeps d.c. Nolan
#5 Mike Gundy the can put a great offense on the field.
#6 Randy Shannon maybe , can he be a capable of being a nfl coach.
#7 Andy Reid or Steve Mariuchi

DevilFin13DevilFin13Supporter
Dec 16, 2011, 01:18 AM

"rafael wrote:

Sparano was definitely a stat geek. The problem was that he focused on the wrong things. It seemed like he finally recognized it when he changed his out-dated offensive philosophy and brought in Daboll.

I agree that he probably focused on the wrong things because if you look at all the stats and trends he would have been throwing the ball more before Daboll got here. Though one area where he used them well was probably short distance 4th downs. He was aggressive in those situations, which is weird because you would think that would translate to being more aggressive in other situations.