In Too Deep of a Hole Already?
49 replies
First off, I'm like most of you...I could care less about the Patriots, the Jets or the Bills. They can all rot in hell as far as I'm concerned. Okay, being a bit melodramatic here, just my utter fan devotion to the Dolphins coming through, but after today's loss, a reality is beginning to set in that I think needs to be discussed and the question asked...
After our week two loss to Houston and the wins by the Patriots, Jets and Bills, the Dolphins are in the cellar at 0-2 behind the aforementioned teams all at 2-0, so the question I ask is...
Have the Dolphins already fallen too far into a hole to be realistically competetive for a post season run?
Please, a mature facts based discussion without insults or snide comments.

“The person you will spend the most time with in your life is yourself, so you better make sure you’re someone interesting”
No, but if we lose 2 of the next 3 then we will without a doubt. Two games (and two of the harder on our schedule) is not something that is insurmountable, but it is a hole that will be hard to overcome, especially the way we are playing.
Not yet, but we really need to win the next 2 games, and keep in mind the Jest and Bills have not played the Pats this yr.
But 3 AFC losses to teams likely to contend effectively hurts our WC chances
Realistically? yes .
Teams that start 0 and 2 miss the playoffs 88% of the time I believe , add to that we have 3 division teams at 2 and 0 and two of those teams are NE and NY , doesn't offer any real hope for a playoff birth.
Doesn't mean things can't turn around , and I by no means am saying to tank the year , to suck for Luck , but realistically after two games we are staring at the unenviable position of looking to next year if playoffs are the goal.
I hate that , but it is what it is. Then you add as padre has mentioned , it isn't one area , it is multiple ones and what is bad can change from game to game , apparently.

"The_Dark_Knight wrote:
First off, I'm like most of you...I could care less about the Patriots, the Jets or the Bills. They can all rot in hell as far as I'm concerned. Okay, being a bit melodramatic here, just my utter fan devotion to the Dolphins coming through, but after today's loss, a reality is beginning to set in that I think needs to be discussed and the question asked...
After our week two loss to Houston and the wins by the Patriots, Jets and Bills, the Dolphins are in the cellar at 0-2 behind the aforementioned teams all at 2-0, so the question I ask is...
Have the Dolphins already fallen too far into a hole to be realistically competetive for a post season run?
Please, a mature facts based discussion without insults or snide comments.
There is no chance the Dolphins sniff the playoffs.
None.
I have to ask though, why do you even care if we do or don't? This current football team is a first round punching bag to most legit playoff teams. I don't understand the fascination with overachieving to make the playoffs when you know you got no shot at going deep.
Well, here is the thing:
Texans figure to win the AFCS
Pats figure to win the AFCE
AFCN is wide open
SD figures to win the AFCW
Basically this season is a replay of 2010, meaning the intra divisional games are simply not as important to us as beating the rest of the AFC schedule, 1-3 or 0-4, this season is essentially over as that would be 4 AFC losses and we lose pretty much every tie breaker in that case.
May not be too late, but showing up next week would definitely not be too early!
More discouraged by how we playing than losing. Our defense which was supposed to be our strength looks worse than our offense. Our deepest position, the DL, is not getting much pressure on the passer, but they are making up for it by not stop the run.
Thought we would have to win games by the score of 13-10 this year, but it is looking more like we are going to have win them 31-30.
"AdamC13 wrote:
May not be too late, but showing up next week would definitely not be too early!
More discouraged by how we playing than losing. Our defense which was supposed to be our strength looks worse than our offense. Our deepest position, the DL, is not getting much pressure on the passer, but they are making up for it by not stop the run.
Thought we would have to win games by the score of 13-10 this year, but it is looking more like we are going to have win them 31-30.
The d to me just not look to be in good condition, but if we recall, they did not start out 2010 as being that good either.
We also have no idea how serious Vontae's injury is
"electrolyte wrote:
There is no chance the Dolphins sniff the playoffs.
None.
I have to ask though, why do you even care if we do or don't? This current football team is a first round punching bag to most legit playoff teams. I don't understand the fascination with overachieving to make the playoffs when you know you got no shot at going deep.
I know I said no snide comments or insults, but I have to ask...
Are you even a Dolphins fan? Your posts somehow suggest the contrary.

“The person you will spend the most time with in your life is yourself, so you better make sure you’re someone interesting”
"dolfan22 wrote:
Realistically? yes .
Teams that start 0 and 2 miss the playoffs 88% of the time I believe , add to that we have 3 division teams at 2 and 0 and two of those teams are NE and NY , doesn't offer any real hope for a playoff birth.
Doesn't mean things can't turn around , and I by no means am saying to tank the year , to suck for Luck , but realistically after two games we are staring at the unenviable position of looking to next year if playoffs are the goal.
I hate that , but it is what it is. Then you add as padre has mentioned , it isn't one area , it is multiple ones and what is bad can change from game to game , apparently.
That's kinda what I was thinking...that by going 0-2 already, we've shot ourselves in the foot....especially with how well the other three teams in our division are playing.

“The person you will spend the most time with in your life is yourself, so you better make sure you’re someone interesting”
"The_Dark_Knight wrote:
That's kinda what I was thinking...that by going 0-2 already, we've shot ourselves in the foot....especially with how well the other three teams in our division are playing.
Well, Jets and Bills have not played the pats, and tbh sort of have played soft games to start the season, so do not over emphasize.
"The_Dark_Knight wrote:
I know I said no snide comments or insults, but I have to ask...
Are you even a Dolphins fan? Your posts somehow suggest the contrary.
That's the basis you need to question if someone is a Dolphin fan or not? interesting
and as someone already posted. Teams that go 0-2 are very likely to miss the playoffs.
Its more than likely too deep. We obviously aren't as good as NE. Unless something crazy happens to them we will probably at the very best split with them and have another factor determine the division winner. The Jets are probably about as good as they have been the past two years, which means they can easily split their series with us. The Bills are playing well offensively, which could give our surprisingly mediocre defense problems. So that series has to potential to be split.
So just in our division it doesn't look promising. And just focusing on our team, I don't see any reason why we are a playoff team. Yeah its only two games. But this team looks the same way it has for the past two years. It does one thing well, another poorly, and the rest either average or mediocre. That's enough to keep us in games for a while. But a good team pulls away or we lose close games to average teams. Obviously I hope it changes, but I'm not betting on it.
I'm as positive as anyone.
We're cooked.

I'm on Twitter @ut_pez
Yea I agree 0-2 in the AFC and everyone in our division is 2-0 and none of them have played each other yet.
The Dolphins are the softest team in the NFL. Tua hater starting 12/11/22.
To get into the playoffs, we are most likely looking at facing off with the Jets, and either Baltimore or Pitt - whichever doesn't win the division. The Jets game will be key - if we lose that go 0-2 in the division and 0-1 against what would likely be a direct playoff rival. It would also mean at best we are 2-3, more likely 1-4. That is not a hole we climb out of imo.
And just looking through the remaining 14 games, it is hard to see more than 5-6 wins all told.
"electrolyte wrote:
That's the basis you need to question if someone is a Dolphin fan or not? interesting
and as someone already posted. Teams that go 0-2 are very likely to miss the playoffs.
It just seems you're cheering for the Dolphins to lose which makes absolutely no sense to me coming from a fan. A fan cheers for his team to win, no matter how good or how bad they are.

“The person you will spend the most time with in your life is yourself, so you better make sure you’re someone interesting”
"The_Dark_Knight wrote:
First off, I'm like most of you...I could care less about the Patriots, the Jets or the Bills. They can all rot in hell as far as I'm concerned. Okay, being a bit melodramatic here, just my utter fan devotion to the Dolphins coming through, but after today's loss, a reality is beginning to set in that I think needs to be discussed and the question asked...
After our week two loss to Houston and the wins by the Patriots, Jets and Bills, the Dolphins are in the cellar at 0-2 behind the aforementioned teams all at 2-0, so the question I ask is...
Have the Dolphins already fallen too far into a hole to be realistically competetive for a post season run?
Please, a mature facts based discussion without insults or snide comments.
0-2 isn't the biggest issue here.
The Dolphins are in too big a hole talent wise to be competitive for even being close to a post season run.
Our staff left too many need positions unaddressed while actually making 2 positions weeker. (OL and RB).
RIP Jetssuck
Dolphins most likely have to go 9-5 or 10-4 to make the playoffs. They're already 0-2 in the AFC, 0-1 in the division, so 9-7 probably won't do it, but it's possible... They would probably need to sweep the Jets. (Well, we're also 2 games behind the Bills and the season just started....so we need to beat them also) The Patriots suddenly become the Dolphins best friends.
However, this team is way too inconsistent. Ireland & Sparano will most likely be gone in 2012.
1972 Miami Dolphins - The ONLY Perfect NFL Team
K I K O
The line sucked last year too.
The Dolphins are the softest team in the NFL. Tua hater starting 12/11/22.
There is no chance the Dolphins sniff the playoffs.
None.
I have to ask though, why do you even care if we do or don't? This current football team is a first round punching bag to most legit playoff teams. I don't understand the fascination with overachieving to make the playoffs when you know you got no shot at going deep.
I understand the frustration, but come on. You start a thread saying we should lose for luck and now you say the dolphins might as well give up after two games. Really? The guys on the roster are the Dolphins. Those men from the glory days are part of our past, and they will stay there forever. If you dump our roster right now all you are left with is a Logo and a Logo can not win games. Fans support the men wearing the logo. I am not saying you should not critique the team and the organization, that is healthy. But outright writing them off, to me, is ridiculous.
IMO if we go 0-4 by the bye week, then I think yes were in the hole...


Calm Like A Bomb!!!.....:freestyle:
Props to GISH for my avy and badges!
2012-2013 NBA CHAMPIONS MIAMI HEAT!!!
We were 0-2 in 2008 too. Just saying. :shifty:
"Rocky Raccoon wrote:
We were 0-2 in 2008 too. Just saying. :shifty:
And who was co-coach of the year.....I believe it was TS and Mike Smith. I don't think were done, but if we lose next week?
I just see some differences between that team and this one. Back in 2008, in the first game, we started the game off really slow on offense with our new Quarterback that had only been here a few weeks. But by the end of the game, Pennington was mounting a ridiculous comeback that only ended on the final play throwing into the end zone from the red zone, and failing to come away with the necessary score. Honestly I remember my buddy a Jets fan being absolutely convinced during the 4th quarter that the Jets were going to lose and that Pennington was going to complete the comeback. It just fell a little short, but we gamed to the finish in that game. In the next game, the entire team came out totally flat and got housed by the Cardinals after traveling cross-country. That wasn't a stamina issue, that was just a game where nothing we schemed went right.
Here we have two games where we were able to stay semi-competitive for about 50 minutes in each game and then fell apart due to what seems like a conditioning problem. That to me is a little more concerning than what was the issue back in 2008 in our 0-2 start that year.
I miss the days when the Miami Dolphins embraced their home heat advantage, with the 1pm September home games being viewed as bonuses on the schedule because we were so relatively unbeatable in those games. Those teams never had stamina issues. Then comes along the Nick Saban Memorial Bubble...and we've not been a September home team since. It's not just the bubble, I think it could be an attitude thing.
Twitter: @ckparrot
3 Yards Per Carry Podcast - Featuring Boomer, Section126, and ckparrothead
threeyardspercarry.podbean.com