1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm Liking Ryan Mallett at #15

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by jpep13, Apr 14, 2011.

1. jpep13

jpep13 Coach Of The Year Club Member

Dec 2, 2007
  2. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Me too if we trade back. lol.

:tongue2:

3. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    We're having him in for a 2 day visit. Apparently we have LOTS of questions about his teammate DJ Williams...... either that or he talks in circles. :shifty:

4. Darrelle Revis

Darrelle Revis I BELIEVE!

Apr 21, 2010
    New York City
    The drug addict guy?

5. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Yeah kinda like Marino, remember him? :wink2:

PSG likes this.
  6. Den54

Den54 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 23, 2007
    AMERICA!

Yeah that QB that did the fake spike and TD against the Jets.
    Love that guy.

7. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    Eric Ainge?

ToddsPhins and Stitches like this.
  8. The G Man

The G Man Git 'r doooonnne!!!

Mar 18, 2009
    I posted this in the Club Level yesterday, and think it's pertinent to this conversation:

ToddsPhins likes this.
  9. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Why? would you like to go to medicinal school with him? lol.

10. texanphinatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Its the big question. Bottom line I think is that if Ireland thinks Mallett is "the guy" and can be a franchise QB, we take him at 15. His talent is certainly worth it, it is up to the FO to dig through his personality and see how much of a concern or not that is.

11. The G Man

Mar 18, 2009
    Understood Tex, but I guess what I'm wondering is if Mallet is their guy, and they think they can get him later on in the first, do they take that chance? Or, do they pull the trigger at #15? I think the answer lies in several factors...1) How far they trade down? 2) Who else they are hearing might have an interest? 3) What there back up plan is in the event someone moves up to get him? This is where the real strategy in a draft comes into play. Accurately predicting what others will do is HUGE, IMHO.

12. jpep13

Dec 2, 2007
    Smokescreen to trade with Seattle and get a 2nd round pick

13. The G Man

Mar 18, 2009
    Think you're the first one to suggest the Phins interest in Mallet is purely a smokescreen jpep. In fact, there was an exchange in another thread earlier today in which others strongly suggested their interest is genuine. Especially after four visits. I'll be somewhat surprised if that is the case (i.e., it is a smokescreen), but I don't put anything past this FO. They seem to be excellent poker players.

14. jpep13

Dec 2, 2007
    i don't know what to think anymore. It seems genuine, I just do not want then to trade up to 10 and take Mallett. If they think they Vikes want him.

15. texanphinatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    I think if Ireland truly feels that Mallett (or Locker, or Ponder, whoever) is a franchise quality guy, then you take him at 15. You do not let a franchise QB get by you. If he is a franchise guy, he is worth the 15 and then some.

16. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Unless you're the Ravens.

17. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Who drafted Joe Flacco anyway.

texanphinatic likes this.
  18. SnakeoilSeller

SnakeoilSeller New Member

Mar 16, 2011
    I just cannot get my head around drafting Mallet. How do you state we need speed, than draft the slowest QB possible? How do you say you want character guys, then draft him? He isn't intelligent, he comes across as dumb as a box of rocks. I think too many fans try to draw a parallel between him and Marino and I just dont see it.

19. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Yea, that's why I used them as an example. They had ample opportunity to draft Flacco, yet traded back.

20. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    I agree that he is slow (not sure about slowest available, maybe he is), but I don't know how you can say he isn't intelligent when you have no knowledge about his intelligence. You also know nothing of his character beyond a few unsubstantiated reports, to which there are just as many claiming his character and work ethic is impeccable now.

I'm not saying he's a genius or a saint, as I don't really know but I'm not going to call him dumb as a box of rocks or a character risk either when I have no way to prove the statement one way or another.

21. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    They traded back, then traded up.

22. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Yes, I'm aware. Even with trading up they still passed up the opportunity to draft their franchise QB when they were initially on the clock.

23. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Trading up after trading down negates the trading down. :lol:

24. jason8er

jason8er Luxury Box Luxury Box

Dec 7, 2007
    Beaufort, SC
    There is a legit comparison to be made here IMO. And, besides their mobility (or lack there of) it has to do with their pocket presence. Mallett may not be as good as Marino in this regard, but he's damn good with it.

I'll take a QB with great pocket awareness over a mobile QB any day of the week.

25. SnakeoilSeller

Mar 16, 2011
    His 20 on the Wonderlic test indicates that he wont be attending any MENSA meetings anytime in the near future. I can only go by what I read with my own eyes and hear with my own ears when he speaks - he does not come across as intelligent, and you need to be smart to succeed at QB, IMHO. He obviously is not fast, running a 5.37 forty - slower than most lineman. And his off the field issues, well when there is smoke, there is sometimes fire. I think Omar said it best the other day in a column, (to paraphrase) he is the type of player that gets your coach and GM fired for drafting. I would stay away, if I was picking a QB in round 1, I would try to trade down and take Colin Kaepernick.

26. SnakeoilSeller

Mar 16, 2011
    Don't get me wrong, I hope the kid succeeds, and if the Phins draft him, I'll be his #1 fan. His arm strength and his experience in a pro style offense make him tempting, but if I were Ireland, I dont know if I could draft him.

27. texanphinatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    The Wonderlic is actually quite a poor judge of NFL ability, and Mallett had no issues with the pro style playbook Petrino uses.

Speed is also not that a big deal. In today's NFL you need to either be a mobile QB (Rodgers, Vick, etc) or you need to a pocket passer with good pocket mobility who knows when to throw it (Manning, Brady). You can be a good QB without speed.

Character issues? It seems many times that teams try and get fires going for their own purposes. I do not think any of us can really make an accurate assessment of his character. We do know that he was voted a two time captain for the Razorbacks and that several teammates have gone to bat for him.

Kaepernick imo is one of the most overrated players in the entire draft.

28. SnakeoilSeller

Mar 16, 2011
    Last night and earlier today I decided to sit and and do a little more Mallett research. (I was bored, it is raining.) I was wrong with my original opinion of him. I went back and not only read articles about him both in the 2009 and 2010 seasons, but watched his interviews. My opinion has done a complete 180. His southern draw is unique, but he is not a dumb kid. I actually came away thinking he is even more prepared for being a stating QB in the NFL than I originally imagined. Funny thing, I could not find any mention of drugs until he got close to the combine. I can see why the Fins are interested in him. Now I am beginning to wonder if he will be there at #15 when the Fins are on the clock.

29. UCF FINatic

UCF FINatic The Miami Dolphins select

Apr 17, 2008
    The whole thing with that is I have a feeling most people in the NFL circles know that we want to get Mallett. If we trade down there could be a chance that a team trades up in from of us and takes him. I could see us trading down and trying to take him, but another team trade ups right in front of us to take Mallett...

30. The G Man

Mar 18, 2009
    Man, IDK...these drug use allegations are starting to be more than a little worrisome to me. It's one thing if you're talking about a 5th-7th round prospect, but we're not. If this FO is seriously thinking about taking this kid at #15, I sure as hope they have done their homework and know what they are getting themselves into.

JMHO.

31. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    It's the quarterback position you have to get it right. If it's the difference between a free agent journeyman RB and Mark Ingram so be it, but I'd rather the journeyman RB and Ronnie Brown coming back then not make sure the quarterback position is right. 20-30 years ago a team would not go without an excellent quarterback, they just wouldn't.

You can either out coach a team - we won't with Sparano
    You can have talent all over the place on defense- we're good but not that good on defense
    You can have a QB like Roethlisberger, Aaron Rodgers, etc...- who knows you might have a chance at that

It's a true impact position. It's probably worth multiple positions as far as value on the field. Have to get it right.

32. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    Apparently they're no longer just allegations. Rotoworld is reporting that Mallett admitted to teams that he was or had been (hopefully) a recreational drug user. I don't have the link, CK posted it in the Club.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  33. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    How is Ckap overrated when there is less than 5 people on this board that want to draft him?, me being one of them....he's underrated imo, especially with all the hype the other guys have, and are getting.

34. jpep13

Dec 2, 2007
    just draft the injured Ponder and be done with it.