1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

If you could only fire one, who would you let go? Philbin or Ireland?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by LBsFinest, Dec 24, 2013.

HC or GM?

1. Philbin

8.8%
  2. Ireland

91.2%
  1. KB21

KB21 Almost Never Wrong Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    The Cardinals linemen can at least slow the rush down. Miami's linemen are getting beat off the snap, consistently. The reason Miami gives up so many sacks is because the line can't even slow down the pressure. It's compounded by the fact that Ireland can't even give the coaching staff running backs that can pass block. Miami's line cannot pass block. The backs cannot pass block. The tight ends are not good pass blockers. The results are the most sacked quarterback in the NFL despite the fact that he gets rid of the ball quicker than any other quarterback in the league.

Paul 13 likes this.
  2. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Again, that's taking a starting point and working backwards and not even coming up with a lot of stuff to support it other than repetition.

The team has linemen it knows are bad, and they keep going pass-heavy, with under-manned protection schemes, with bad personnel decisions, with predictable play selection, predictable blocking schemes, and even predictable snap counts, while doing little to nothing in terms of constraint play. It's like Mike Martz on acid out there.

Then they've got a run scheme where they don't have the foggiest clue what works best for the players they've got on the roster, so they keep plodding along with what they want to do, despite it being unfeasible and maybe the worst possible option.

3. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    Based on what, exactly? What do you have to back any of this up?

4. KB21

Dec 6, 2007
    And what scheme works better when you have piss poor linemen that can't block zone, man, or gap?

5. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    We're generally on the same page 99% of the time when it comes to the Dolphins, but I just don't agree with you here.

I'm not even saying the coaching staff is full of wizards, but they're not nearly as maladroit as you make them out to be. I still think the biggest issue is the fact that the team is just really young and that causes an ebb and flow from game to game.

That's why I love looking at Carolina as a mirror for us. Similar situations. Rookie head coach and QB in 2011, they improved in 2012 and had the same problems we've had this year, finishing games and holding onto leads. Now, in their 3rd year, they're blossoming.

I fully expect us to continue progressing and being even better next year with Philbin and Tannehill in their 3rd year. And, if we're not, then I'll rethink my stance on Philbin. Right now, no way in hell I'm firing him.

6. KB21

Dec 6, 2007
    The results.

Arizona's adjusted sack rate is 7.1%. Miami's is 9.2%.

Miami has given up 59 sacks. The NFL average is 38 with an average adjusted sack percentage of 7.0%.

7. KB21

Dec 6, 2007
    Carolina also fired their GM after last season.

8. Rocky Raccoon

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Yes they did, and they kept their head coach too. Which I think is the same road we're going down.

9. KB21

Dec 6, 2007
    It has to happen. We can make a coaching change. It won't matter any unless we make a change at the head of the table and replace the guy that has put the players on this team.

10. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    A guy who's first 5 years running the team saw them in the Super Bowl and a conf. championship game another year, then after 4 straight seasons without a winning record he got axed....damn I wish Jerry Richardson was our owner, Ireland woulda been fired a while ago.

11. Rocky Raccoon

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    I think there will be a ton of guys who would love to work with Philbin if the GM job were to open up. Philbin is highly respected around the league and his vision of what kind of team to have is something a lot of GMs are in sync with, IMO.

12. cdz12250

cdz12250 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Coconut Grove
    Why is there the slightest doubt as to what is wrong with the offensive line when a fading veteran is brought in and has to do the offensive line coach's job out on the field, then go public with "suggestions?"

Forget about Philbin and Ireland. Turner has no clue. He's got to go.

13. Rocky Raccoon

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    When it comes down to it, I was on the fence about Ireland coming into this season. And I said this year would push me one way or another. The fact this team is in playoff contention with an atrocious offensive line and god awful linebacker play is a small miracle. And that's a credit to Philbin and a discredit to Ireland.

Ireland not only built a terrible offensive line, but two guys that Philbin DIDN'T EVEN WANT ON THE TEAM, caused our franchise national embarrassment and scrutiny while landing us in the middle of an impeding investigation.

Ireland has to go.

14. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    If I could only fire one.?...

It depends on the outcome Sunday, they lose that game then for sure Ireland is gone, but Philbin wouldn't be out of the weeds.

Paul 13 likes this.
  15. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

What do you have to back up your claim the Cards have a worse OL?

16. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    IM really trying to figure out how a team beats two elite qbs in a row then loses against Thad Lewis and the bills.

It's hard to blame it all on a bad matchup on the oline..19-0... Then one might say, "well they were spent after two weeks of beating those two elite qbs, and sometimes teams just don't come to play after some emotional wins", for which I could see is understandable and accepted on some level, but when you lose control of your destiny in the process of that letdown, really those two weeks prior, where you gave everything you had, doesn't mean sh&$ anymore..

It's really a topic maybe for another thread..it just blows me away..and the more I think about it, the more illogical it becomes and more rage overcomes me to think this team, a team that hasn't ever accomplished anything in this league, would come out flat and unemotional when everything was finally in our own hands???, that just doesn't make any sense but maybe were missing something in the human nature area..more and more, it just seems like they knew they were overmatched along the front line so they knew they wouldn't be able to execute their offense, which then let down the defense..

It's a tough one to figure out..

17. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

I really think alot of people are over thinking the Buffalo game, IMO.

We didnt match up well on the line. Tannehill was affected by the weather quite a bit. Then we just layed an egg. It happens. Sometimes the best teams in the NFL....can have games where they just flat suck. We dont ever play like that except on occasion. Most of the time, we play well enough to beat or lose to anyone.

If we lose to the Jets however. I say fire them all. I hate to make it a one game exam like that, but this is a game you cannot lose.

18. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Firing everyone can affect Tannehill's career... Just fire Ireland... A new coach may want his own quarterback.

19. rdhstlr23

rdhstlr23 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    I don't think Tannehill will have any issue. QB's that are drafted as high as he was tend to get a chance on talent alone (Gabbert, Cutler, etc).

20. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    pretty much where I'm at too.

21. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    Don't be willfully obtuse, you know what I'm talking about.

They want to run their unadulterated passing concepts no matter what. They don't want to help out linemen in troubling 1v1 match-ups, they don't want to run constraint plays, they don't want to alter non-linemen blocker personnel. They want to run their protection schemes that advertise what they are pre-snap, and if those aren't going to work they're going to go down shooting.

22. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    I don't think you can hand-wave it away with a nebulous sense of the team being young, especially when there are so many other glaring coaching issues on this team. If collapsing in the clutch isn't part of that, it might be the only coaching element that is being done well with any consistency.

23. The G Man

The G Man Git 'r doooonnne!!!

Mar 18, 2009
    I didn't vote because rather than choosing between firing Philbin or Ireland I think I'd be more inclined to fire Sherman.

But, if I had to choose between Philbin and Ireland, it would be Ireland. And, it's not even close. Win or lose Sunday, I'm giving Philbin one more year (and hopefully more talent this off-season) to git 'er done.

24. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    That statistic also takes into consideration opponent strength and only deals with sacks, rather than pressures or hits. Which is exactly the combination of missing the big picture and unnecessary complexity that is characteristic of Football Outsiders, but that's another deal. Is it somehow more acceptable that you've given up sacks to a good opponent than a bad opponent? Why are we ignoring the overwhelming majority of negative pass protection plays when anyone whom has watched a degree of football has seen multiple low-sack games where pass rush pressure was a huge factor in a lack of offensive production? It's also worth mentioning you're bringing up that stat and Miami isn't the worst team on that statistic.

PFF has Miami's pass blocking efficiency at 18th, which takes into account all of the actual negative pass rush plays a team suffers. When you look at the nature of their pressures, the only single unique thing about their situation is that they convert an inordinate amount of pressures into sacks, and I think it's pretty clear when you watch Tannehill sitting in the pocket not taking his eyes off the downfield until it collapses that it's obvious why that is the case. It's not some unique phenomena reflective of the offensive line, it's how the coaching staff has chosen to handle their young quarterback(terribly).

25. KB21

Dec 6, 2007
    Oh, give me a freaking break. This team has 8 wins with a team that has 7-8 win talent. Poorly coached teams don't overachieve like this. This is not 2007 with Cam Cameron taking a 6 win team to 1 win.

26. fins104

fins104 New Member

Oct 1, 2013
    I don't know if any of you actually know this or not but Miami's pass blocking grade is not even close to as bad as the run blocking grade. Thats the bigger problem IMO.

cdz12250 likes this.
  27. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    both bad.. it's like saying a 7.2 earthquake is not as bad as a 8.2. Both are going to do catastrophic damage at the epicenter

28. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    You've determined the level of talent based I'm not sure what and are working backwards from that and I'm not sure what kind of sense that makes in light of being able to see individual and unit performances, why the team has lost games, and what kind of situations the losses have been.

29. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Ok, so you disagree with the folks that think keeping this Qb in the pocket at all costs is necessary to his long term pocket development?

I've been trying to understand that development process considering it's about staying and going thru his reads, but my issue has been is it neutering his instinct to escape too much, where he loses sight of that critical line when to bolt, or is it worth it to make him stand in there as long as possible for the long term, I get a lot of folks who tell me the latter is more important, even though the sack # is growing exponentially.

30. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Ever think about the possibility that it might affect Tannehill's career for the better?

Sure this is the coaching staff that made Ryan Tannehill a 1st rounder. It's also the coaching staff that made him a wide receiver in favor of Jerrod Johnson and Stephen McGee.

Very strong possibility that Tannehill is being hindered by this offense more than it's helping him.

cdz12250 and DePhinistr8 like this.
  31. cdz12250

cdz12250 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Coconut Grove
    They're being physically overpowered because they're weak, and outmaneuvered because they're slow and immobile, in both run blocking and in pass blocking. They suck. They are the reason our offense sucks. Their coach has no clue of how to help them improve. The general manager decided to go with what he had when it was clear they were totally inadequate, and passed on free agents who could have helped. It's the perfect storm and it's the story of this season, whether or not we beat the Jets on Sunday and get into the playoffs.

32. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    Yes, with as bad a blocking situation as the Dolphins has, it's more likely that keeping Tannehill in the pocket is going to result in him developing bad habits vs. pressure than letting him react to it how he would naturally.

They're acting like Tannehill is a read option quarterback whom isn't going to go down his progressions when pressured, when the guy already shows good timing and decision making when he's been allowed to do it.