1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

If you are a PFF guy....

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Fin-Omenal, Jun 10, 2015.

1. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
  2. cbrad

cbrad .

Dec 21, 2014
    Would be nice to see their full grades. Hard to argue for or against it without that.

resnor likes this.
  3. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

Well, as their grades are subjective and we've argued their validity ad nauseum, I won't go into too much. Suffice to say I don't put stock into their grades as much as their stats. That said, these aren't weighted by position I don't think. Therefore a really good punter or bad kicker could skew it. Not to mention neither the Bills nor Jets have a reliable option at QB as it stands. QB's mask deficiencies.

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  4. Limbo

Limbo Mad Stillz

Mar 21, 2013
    Yeah things like this usually don't accurately account for how much more valuable the QB really is. PFF's grading and rankings systems are mostly worthless. Looking at their individual stats, however, is what you want to do.

5. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    A couple of issues I see with this, if it's based on what I think it's based on:

1. There's an issue with Dion Sims. The way they do it, I believe Sims counts as a full position (1/12th of the offense) but Miami used 3-WR/1-TE an extreme majority of snaps in 2014...so really when you're scoring up the depth chart you should be looking at the 3 WRs, 1 TE, 1 RB, 1 QB, 5 OL.

2. This is moot but they have Dallas Thomas and Billy Turner reversed.

3. Ja'Wuan James is a below average starter to them even though he was either average or above average when he played right tackle for the Dolphins in 2014...which is where he'll be playing again in 2015.

5. They have Brice McCain rated the lowest possible ("Poor"). Last year in Pittsburgh he was an average to below average player. I don't know why they have it this way unless they've scrubbed through and isolated only his slot snaps in and used that as justification since he's going to be Miami's slow corner. But that doesn't make sense relative to what they did to Ja'Wuan James. Maybe it's based on multiple years.

Those are issues that are more process/methodology in nature as opposed to having a go at their ratings. If I'm going after their pure ratings I'd point out that having Koa Misi as a "Good" while Jelani Jenkins is an "Average" is a bit flawed.

Clark Kent, Fin4Ever and Unlucky 13 like this.
  6. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    Positional importance isn't factored in which is always arguable but to me a huge factor. We have without a doubt the 2nd best QB in the East, and to me that is more valuable than a couple of LBs rated higher than ours.

7. PhinFan1968

PhinFan1968 To 2020, and BEYOND! Club Member

I have premium and can't find that article on PFF.

Edit: OK so I'm a bit slow...the article was written specifically for ESPN.

8. PhinFan1968

PhinFan1968 To 2020, and BEYOND! Club Member

Ya I see their depth chart, and there's definitely some eyebrow raisers there...along with the few you mentioned, what surprised me was:

L. Miller - Good (below Very Good and Elite)
    J. Cameron - Good
    G. Jennings - Equal to Matthews at Average (below Good)

9. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...ets-and-eagles-among-nfls-most-talented-teams

Even though the Bills and Jets are higher than Miami, it should make you feel better. Miami is 7th in this one.

10. cbrad

cbrad .

Dec 21, 2014