1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

If We Don't Resign Ronnie Brown, Who Would You Want?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by slickj101, Jun 29, 2009.

1. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    I know there's a good chance he does resign. But I'm just curious who else you guys would want to bring in/draft.

Franchise him for a year? Wouldn't be shocked there either.

Who would you like the team to acquire if he's gone? Let's keep it realistic.

Personally, I'd love to steal Michael Bush from Oakland.

alen1 likes this.
  2. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Great call on Michael Bush. I like him too.

I haven't seen anyone in the 2010 free agency list that has intrigued me but I have about three guys that I wouldn't mind seeing in a Dolphins uniform via draft. I doubt that the management will go high with a halfback because of the position being easily replaced and depending on what he runs, Jonathan Dwyer of Georgia Tech is a guy that I talked about last year as a replacement for Brown. Dwyer is a big tailback who's quick and has good vision. He's only had 282 carries in two years including 200 that came last year alone in the Georgia Tech option offense. He's very talented but if he runs well, which wouldn't surprise me despite him being 6'0", 230 lbs or around there, he'll likely go earlier than where they would like to take a tailback.

Another guy that I like a lot who is small but has great strength in his lower body, has good patience, keeps his legs moving and good vision in my opinion is Kendall Hunter of Oklahoma State. I think I recall reading he's around 5'8" and I think he's heavier than 200 but who knows. I like him a lot though and I think, depending on what he runs, he could slip a bit similar to Javon Ringer because of his size.

I think Charles Scott of LSU will grab their attention. He's not going to run away from but he's a guy that will run through people and fits the smashmouth attack that I think they like. He's 5'11", 233 lbs. and can really pound the rock. Had a big year with LSU with the downfall of Keiland Williams - who by the way could grab their attention late in the draft because of his potential and size.

slickj101 likes this.
  3. Crappy Tipper

Crappy Tipper AKA Hero13

Aug 23, 2008
    I'm personally anxious to see how Patrick Cobbs does this year. His burst and receiving skills could prime him to step up.

Xeticus, Ophinerated and alen1 like this.
  4. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Appreciate it. I follow very little college so my opinion is lacking in the draft aspect of a replacement.

Like I said, I think Michael Bush is a beast and could be had for a low pick right now.

If we were going to make that move, I think it'd have to be asap. Reason being, I think Bush puts Fargas on the bench very quickly and never looks back. If he's still in Oak at the end of the season, I doubt they let him go.

5. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Completely agree. I really like him and I recall the Raiders shopping him this past season for a fourth rounder, which drew the interest of the Buccaneers but nothing ever happened between the two teams. I know they want Darren McFadden to take on a good portion of the load over there and then Bush to be the second part of the two-headed duo with Justin Fargas looking on the outside. Personally, I don't think McFadden lasts long until he's injured again and Bush impressed last season against Tampa Bay so he could be the favorite there to have a breakout season. However, I think this management could steal Bush away for a draft pick. Problem is, are they willing to trade a draft pick for a position that they don't think is hard to replace? My money is on no but I hope I'm wrong.

6. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    If it was a 4th or later then maybe. Def not anything more than that though, IMO.

Maybe a player and a 5th-7th for Bush.

Al Davis is out of his mind so you never really know what could happen.

7. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Who could you ship off though? Brandon London? He may not have a space on this team IMO. Also a draft pick with it? I think they value those late draft picks because of Ireland's ability to find gems.

Lol, def true.

8. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    There's quite a few guys on D that I'm sure Oak could use.

Edit: Oakland thinks they could use.

London is another possibility since Hayward-Bey is already hurt.

I think you're right about Ireland with those draft picks. I remember Parcells was so bothered we lost that 7th for McDaniel that we had to give away Satele just to get it back.

9. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Lol, true. Just trying to think of who we can give up. We could ship off Jason Allen. Allen did run a 4.39 and 4.44 at one point and we know Al's obsession with artificial numbers. :lol:

True and Javon Walker isn't anything to brag about. Though I like Chaz Schilens.

10. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Johnnie Lee Higgins could be really good IMO.

I was thinking Paul Solai.

Oakland did just sign Ellis. But their crazy if they think he plays 2 years without injury, IMO.

11. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    True, he could be a good slot.

I'm guessing you're assuming that we will pick up a future NT in the draft?

Why so?

12. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    I reeeeally hope we do bc I don't see Solai as the future, at all.

Ellis is 33, has had bad injuries, translating to a 4-3, etc.

I just don't see that signing being a success, at least not for long.

13. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Yeah, I could see why.

He's actually been really reliable outside of the year he tore his achillies I think it was. In regards to the 4-3, it won't really be a transition for him because he played it for a number of years and played pretty well in it.

You may be right.

14. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Who knows though. They could end up running a 3-4 under Cable.

If that was the case then Matt Roth and a 7th for Bush would be very welcome.

15. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Possibly. I dont' know how much experience he has but its possible.

No way unless we could find a guy who could do Roth's job just as good IMO.

16. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    IMO, a feature back (Bush has that potential) is worth more than a 2 down LB.

17. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Do we need a feature back in this system? In my opinion, we don't because we don't run ti that way; we have a two headed duo - three if you include Cobbs.

18. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    I guess I should of said "lead" back then. Almost every team uses 2 RBs now.

IMO, Bush would get 60% to someone elses 40%.

19. Finstache

Finstache New Member

Jun 29, 2009
    I really want to re-sign Ronnie. I just don't see a suitable replacement out there, unless we draft one... Who are the best RB prospects coming out?

20. PENNSYLVANIADOLPHAN

PENNSYLVANIADOLPHAN Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2008
    I remember ToddPhins mentioning C.J Spiller a while back. He's sort of a scat back. Amazing speed. And his vision is amazing, If I remember correctly.

21. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOCKIwYzkV0"]YouTube - Toby Gerhart top powerback in 2010 draft[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFQfITF1oPQ"]YouTube - Clemson's Cj Spiller[/ame]

22. emeraldfin

emeraldfin All I've got is insane

Dec 12, 2007
    Carlow, Ireland
    Jahvid Best from Cali.

23. FinsAreLife

FinsAreLife Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2007
    I dont even want to bother to think about it yet. Lets get through this season first and then worry about it.

24. finserg

finserg Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Linden,NJ
    Tobys a beast

25. NorFlaFin

NorFlaFin Active Member

26. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I doubt we would take CJ Spiller. He's a first rounder IMO. A lot like Brian Westbrook.

True.

PENNSYLVANIADOLPHAN likes this.
  27. The Aqua Crush

The Aqua Crush New Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Calgary Alberta Canada
    Of course we all love ronnie and would love to have him stay on board, but with running backs i think stars can be made with mid round picks used. Especially if we have a great run blocking oline, which i think we have brewing/developing.

I wouldn't want to go after anyone on other teams, i would rather draft one in the 3-4th round. If we got a great offer from someone to trade ronnie, like a first or 2nd round pick even before he becomes a UFA, i would say do it. Not because i don't want ronnie or think he can be great for us, but rather from a business standpoint, if someone wants to overpay for a runningback and we can greatly increase the value of our team from trading ronnie, then i say we would have to do it. Not sure however what the market for ronnie would be.

28. like2god

like2god Typical white person Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    CNY
    I don't honestly think that Ronnie is in danger of not being resigned.

cnc66 likes this.
  29. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Especially not after he runs for 1700 yards and 18 TDs this season!

Maybe that's wishful thinking. Maybe not. But seriously, I can't imagine Ronnie not being a Dolphin.

cnc66 and like2god like this.
  30. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I think what slickj101 was asking was not if you think he'll re-sign but if he didn't, who would you want? So think of it as them saying Ronnie won't be here and you had a choice of a replacement, who would it be?

slickj101 likes this.
  31. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    thank you.

32. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    I'm not sure if this was directed at me or not, but I understand exactly what the the point of the thread was. I was just agreeing with l2g, and going off on a slight tangent. Sorry if I created any confusion. If I really have to pick a running back I'd like to have if Ronnie were to not return, then ok, I'll pick

Walter Sanders - The lovechild resulting from the unholy union of Barry Sanders and Walter Peyton.

Happy now? :wink2:

33. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Wasn't directed at you specifically.

And why the attitude?

34. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    No attitude. I edited in a :wink2: must be right after you replied so that you would know it was tongue in cheek. :hi5:

35. like2god

Nov 22, 2007
    CNY
    [​IMG] :pointlol:

I don't think any RB would be able to put up those numbers in this offense, they just wouldn't get the number of carries to pull it off. I'm not in the business of making predictions, and even if I were, this OL is a big ? and doesn't fill me with confidence. I can picture Ronnie doing really well this season, but I can also imagine him getting hit behind the LOS and fighting for every yard just like he has throughout his career. Until the OL can prove that they can stay healthy, I'm not a believer.

But if you don't really believe that Ronnie is in danger of being replaced, why choose a replacement? Getting a little ahead of ourselves. :wink2:

MonstBlitz likes this.
  36. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    You have to admit that there is at least a reasonably chance that it will happen. I think anyone who says "no, it's impossible that he won't be here in 2010" is just not being realistic.

If you admit that the possibility is there, why not think about what other options are out there?

And yes, I am the captain of the Michael Bush Bandwagon.

alen1 likes this.
  37. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    I have a slightly more optimistic view of our O line than yours, but I do agree it would be awful tough for a RB to gain 1700 yards while sharing carries with Cobbs and Ricky.

I do think 1200 yards and 15 TDs could be a realistic total for Ronnie. At the very least, I'm thinking we are going to get good and consistent production from him this year.

38. like2god

Nov 22, 2007
    CNY
    No player is safe, sports is a business and if the Dolphins are presented with an offer for any player, they could be moved. And if any player puts dollar signs ahead of the team commitment, then they will be replaced. Up to this point, we haven't been given any indication that the FO is thinking of moving Ronnie or that Ronnie is looking for a ridiculous amount of money, so I think it's jumping the gun a bit. JMO :wink2:

39. like2god

Nov 22, 2007
    CNY
    Well, you have to take into account how often we'll be running the WC and what his role will be in that. Last year he was extremely successful taking snaps out of the WC, if White is going to be running those plays and Ronnie is going to be relegated to a more traditional base offense, then that's going to have an impact on his production. I think the reason we ended up using the WC as much as we did last season is because our running game in the base offense just wasn't working as effectively as the team would have liked, if that continues then Ronnie will struggle.

40. Onehondo

Onehondo Senior Member Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    I think what happens with Ronnie depends on what he does this season. If he is not productive enough for their satisfaction or he gets hurt again they can't afford to wait to get another running back with Ricky getting older. We might see Ricky getting traded before Ronnie anyway. IMO runningback is not a priority but it is something they will be looking at in the next draft.
    I know I have read that they are real happy with how hard Ronnie has been working and that he is more powerfull and has added more muscle to his frame. We may see an even better version of Ronnie this year, one that none of us will want to see leave the Dolphins.