1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

If Urban Meyer is the coach to be, fire Sparano now....

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by CANEPHINS, Oct 24, 2011.

1. CANEPHINS

CANEPHINS No Tats & Dreads Allowed

Jan 4, 2009
    Savannah, GA
    And once again Bill Cowher and the NFL have taken notice of this.

Word is that Cowher has been keeping a watchful eye on Miami and said he wouldn't discuss any potential job with them until there was a coaching vacancy. He was very disenchanted when Ross went after Harbaugh while Sparano was still the head coach of the team.

Now the Herald is reporting that Cowher and several other high ranking NFL peeps are ticked off that Ross was having a good time on the sidelines yesterday with Urban Meyer. *** (Coach Urban Meyer) was chatting it up with Dolphins players and Ross looked to be having a good time with the free agent coach. A FA coach, while you currently have a head coach, shouldn't be hanging out on your sideline and chatting it up with the players and big wigs. In the box, on the field for halftime, back up to the box for the rest of the game. Never should there be contact between the two. Ross, has again painted a scarlet letter on the franchise.

Now if you are planning on hiring ***, ok....fire Sparano and bring him in. But don't woo a potential HC on the sidelines during the game while your current HC is hanging by a string. Ross, doing this intentionally or unintentionally, has left a bad taste yet again in the NFL's mouth.

MF'r just can't do business right.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. schmolioot

schmolioot Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    The article by Armando was ridiculous.

Urban Meyer was a guest of the team and was appearing during the halftime show. He wasn't there randomly or to discuss anything with Ross.

Should Ross have ignored the guy when he saw him? If cowher really gives a crap about such nonsense then who needs him

3. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    the speculation and conspiracy levels are getting ludicrous

ludicrousspeed.jpg

4. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Shouldn't you be doing something more useful Cane? Like tracking Ross' plane as he flies to the west coast on a "Business Trip"... ? :shifty:

5. CANEPHINS

Jan 4, 2009
    Savannah, GA
    There is a right way to do business and a wrong way. There is a way to carry yourself and a wrong way. There is a way the franchise is perceived and a way it should be seen.

Look at the Steelers and the way their front office is run from ownership down to the coaches. They are the model for how a team should be organized and run. Miami is the farthest thing from that. It is fair for Cowher to want to look for that stability in a franchise and a job. I know I wouldn't want to work for a boss who keeps on crapping all over his current staff....whether it is intentional or unintentional.

Whether Ross intended to do harm or not, he did.

Like I said, Meyer shouldn't have been on the Dolphins sideline and Ross shouldn't have been engaging him right in front of his current head coach. Bad business.

6. CANEPHINS

Jan 4, 2009
    Savannah, GA
    Hey now...

We all knew what Ross was up to thanks to that info. :)

finyank13 likes this.
  7. CANEPHINS

Jan 4, 2009
    Savannah, GA
    It isn't even that. No conspiracy...no theory. It is just bad business and people notice.

8. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    Steelers' Rooney is an ambassador to Ireland (the country, not our GM... :lol:).. I do agree that Ross (like Sparano) is in over his head...

9. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    He's out here again this week... :shifty:...

10. CANEPHINS

Jan 4, 2009
    Savannah, GA
    Great....is he going to try and convince Luck to not go back to school?

Nothing would be more fitting than him tampering with a college athlete.

11. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    Stephen Ross, the ambassador to California :shifty:

12. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    Wouldn't that be something? Now if he were meeting with Oliver Luck and just talking "business" that would be okay... :shifty:

13. bakedmatt

bakedmatt Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Yeah, Stephen Ross doesn't know business...

2k5 likes this.
  14. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    Technically Meyer is a ESPN annalyst......so I guess Ross can't talk to Steve Young when we have Monday Night Football, cause it could be tampering with a "free agent" right?!

whata joke.

xer0 and unluckyluciano like this.
  15. BlameItOnTheHenne

BlameItOnTheHenne Taking a poop

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    *** would have an heart attack on the sidelines.

16. CANEPHINS

Jan 4, 2009
    Savannah, GA
    Young isn't a potential coach.

Big difference, especially when Meyer has made it no secret that he will be getting back into coaching next season.

SICK likes this.
  17. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    I havent seen Meyer make it no secret hes getting back into coaching next year......do you have a link? (seriously, im not being a smartass lol)

18. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Ya I don't agree with that one at all.

19. Phyl

Phyl New Member

Dec 26, 2010
    Meyer proved that he couldn't hang with the SEC if he didn't have once-in-a-lifetime talent. He's not coming to the NFL. He'll take the Ohio State job in a year or two and that'll be that.

20. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    the hiring of Meyer is its own awful issue. i dont even want to contemplate it

21. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Steve Sarkissian? I mean it's out of left field but with the limited talent he's had there, he's actually doing pretty well without Locker. Pro style coach, young. Ya I'm biased, but still he's a good guy to look at.

22. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    hmmmm so the conclusion is what? To do good business don't have any public conversations with anyone who could potentially fill a role that you will be interviewing for in a couple of months? lol Thats the dumbest **** I've ever heard.

23. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    It's not just a public conversation... it's happening on your sideline, while the guy you are talking to is being honored along with the opp's quarterback, while your team is self destructing on the way to losing a 15 point lead with three minutes left, going 0 and 6, 10 months removed from you flying out to California to find your coaches replacement, who is still currently coaching your team. Cue Britney Spears and her Circus song... lets dance...

24. CANEPHINS

Jan 4, 2009
    Savannah, GA
    .....and 1-12 in your last 13 home games. Don't forget that one.

25. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    Or it's a desperate attempt to link something miniscule with other events so as to make it seem larger then it is.

xer0, rafael, Phyl and 1 other person like this.
  26. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007

Whatever it is, it's aweful... AWEFUL timing. And he should have learned from the January Harbaugh fiasco. Can't blame the media one bit for running with it. Especially Armando and his Amigos...

27. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    Bill Cowher is done. He's not an NFL coach anymore. He's now Jimmy Johnson. Why do you people give a **** about him anyway? It's not like the Steelers fell apart without the guy. It's not like he didn't coach a bunch of mediocre teams during his Steelers tenure. he's not a savior. He's an old, unemployed, seemingly happy, analyst. Let it go.

xer0, ChrisKo and lohink like this.
  28. Samphin

Samphin Κακό σκυλί ψόφο δεν έχει

Mountain out of a molehill. Honestly guys, you are bordering on lunacy with the criticisms now. Just come out and say that you hate Ross and everything he does and be done with it.

Personally, aside from the losing, I have no problem with ownership. Huizenga lost a bunch too but no one seems to bemoan him. Ross goes out of his way to spend money on this franchise, albeit perhaps ill spent money, but nonetheless, he cares about the team and wants it to improve from where I sit. That is all I ask for in ownership. If he wants to skip up and down the sidelines with Urban Meyer while Sparano's team collapses yet again, that is his right.

xer0, PhinGeneral, rafael and 4 others like this.
  29. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    What the moron doesn't seem to understand is that wins turn around a team. I don't care about the name. Mike Hawk could be the coach's name if he wins. That's why I'm annoyed seeing stuff like this. Meyer was burnt out by the college game, the pro game will absolutely cause this guy headaches. He will leave an unhappy man.

30. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

Ya know, this is the exact thought I had as well. It was, afterall, the Florida Nat'l Chpnshp celebration by the organization (however distasteful it was to do this in the first place, but it was done). He was being cordial. Even Ross is smart enough to realize that his little courting of Harbaugh was wrong last year so he certainly wouldn't repeat the process....this is a non-story, at this point...

Aside from that, if in fact Meyer had medical issues that caused him to give up on coaching at the NCAA level, why would he jump into the NFL fray, especially a franchise that needs rebuilt from the ground up ??

No story here folks. Move on.

31. CANEPHINS

Jan 4, 2009
    Savannah, GA
    Were they selling Tebow jerseys in the stadium as well yesterday?

32. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

Ummmm.... The fact the Stillers didn't fall apart when he left is a testament as to how he left the organization...at any rate, I believe you are dead wrong about Cowher...the only issue, to me, with Cowher would be who his FA staff would be (Kahn, etc)...that would make the difference as to whether or not he can succeed....but he has a track record of keeping good folks around him...

33. mbmonk

mbmonk I have no clue

Aug 4, 2008
    That entire article is based on sources "familiar w/ how Cowher thinks". So it's not based on Cowher himself and what exactly qualifies for "being familiar w/ how Cowher" thinks? Is that person an ex-player, ex-assistant in the pros, someone who worked with him for 1 year in 1970's? This is a very vague, and not worth dwelling on... or reporting on, but I guess this is the stuff that gets printed when you are 0 - 6.

texanphinatic likes this.
  34. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    Urban meyer reminds me of steve spurrier. I don't know if his game is going to translate well into the nfl. I hope we're concentrating more on a GM who can find us some pro bowl players rather than a coach becsause no one is winning with our personnel

35. schmolioot

schmolioot Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    Urban is a hard worker though. That's how he developed his health problems at UF.

Spurrier simply didn't want to put in the effort. We'll never know if the fun 'n gun could succeed in the NFL because Spurrier wasn't willing to put in the time to make it happen.

I think Urban would put in the time and his version of the spread can be easily tweaked to resemble what NE is doing, and in fact, he and Belichick are tight and have studied each other's systems.

I'm an fSU fan but I would not hate Meyer as the HC at all

36. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    end thread...But Ross has to learn how evil the media is.

Marco and smahtaz like this.
  37. Clark Kent

May 9, 2008
    Evil? Or just bored? Look at forum. We dramatize everything to due with our team for the sake of discussion and entertainment.

38. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Out of curiosity, anyone know of a coach that was brought in from outside an organization during the season to replace a fired one?

39. Clark Kent

May 9, 2008
    None that I can think of, at least in the modern era. There would be so much crap to deal with coming in as an outsider. You don't have a plan, your coaches, your system, etc... Interim coaches are so much more practical.

40. finsincebirth

finsincebirth Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2007
    A few things on Meyer and his health.

1) He has a diagnosed brain cyst that is supposedly non life threatening. It has been an issue since his Notre Dame days when he would suffer headaches while acting like a maniac on the sidelines.

2) I believe the heart health issues were mostly caused by the stress of recruiting. If I remember right he would personally go on every recruiting visit, and I think the NFL would be less stressful because the absence of recruiting. It was also documented that he would spend all day in the office and was missing meals regularly, and if I remember he would even sleep in his office some nights.

3) Not health related but I think he really did want to spend more time with his kids, since he now has 2 daughters in college and a kid about to be in high school. He really hated missing their games and with his new analyst schedule he is able to make every game.

4) Lastly he was having an affair with a coed and that was also a huge reason why he left.