1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

If if's and but's were candy and nuts

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Trowa, Oct 5, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Trowa

Trowa A world of pain

May 8, 2008
    If, for just one moment, we stopped worrying about finding the next Dan Marino, the next Don Shula, or the next perfect season, or even the next super bowl, and simply focused on developing a team; our team, THIS team, we would be light years ahead. If we didn't run quarterbacks out of town on a yearly basis, if we didn't demand perfection in every aspect from our coaches, if we didn't declare a player a bust after a year in the league, we would be happier as fans. If we took the time to do it right, if we as fans gave the front office the time to do it right, instead of demanding instant gratification and *****ing and whining when it doesn't happen, maybe, just maybe we would have a contender in Miami once again.

That's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

DaFish, Merauder, SeanP and 12 others like this.
  2. FinFan316

FinFan316 Banned

Apr 3, 2010
    I think you are wrong. Heres why: Your analogies are horrible.

Dan Marino? I dont even know if Chad Henne is the next Matt Hassellback or Jake Delhomme.

Don Shula? I dont even know if Tony Sparano is as good as Wannstedt. Remember, Wannstedt won a playoff game here in Miami...and then got worse every year. Looking pretty familiar.

Perfection? Hardly. I am not looking for perfection, just better preparation and execution. You might have a point if we were complaining after winning close games. But we lost won close game and lost one in a blowout. Thats hardly flirting with perfection. Thats flirting with disaster.

You think Bonagermo should have been retained? Because his special teams guys weren't perfect? They were far from perfect....they were disasterous. But by your "Kumbaya" standards, he should be given "more time".

IMO, your post is making excuses for having low standards and trying to discourage others with high standards from speaking out. i think thats wrong...and weak.

3. RGF

RGF THE FINSTER Club Member

Nov 24, 2007
    NY

You honestly think we arent giving the front office time to get things right? And,instant gratification? We havent won a super bowl in over 35 years so we have been nothing but patient with this organization.

4. RGF

RGF THE FINSTER Club Member

Nov 24, 2007
    NY
    Exactly !

5. Trowa

Trowa A world of pain

May 8, 2008
    And you are 100% entitled to that opinion.

6. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    With all respect, the only thing wrong and weak is you giving an argument based on "ifs".

There's a difference between having high standards and having UNREASONABLY high standards. Your use of "ifs" is a perfect example. This is an extremely young & new team that's in its infancy stage, and as such needs time to develop. Growing pains are inevitable. If you want a short term quick fix comprised of expensive veterans with little tread left, then you should think about becoming a Jets fan.

The Patriots have a history of winning IIRC. Do you see them going after the quick fix right now even though they were privy to their potential defensive problems? No. They do it right; they build from within & develop their youth via the draft. This takes time.

I for one want a dynasty. These don't happen overnight, but it IS possible to see the signs of one developing...... and if you don't see the signs here, then I feel bad for you. :wink2:

7. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

How are you even possible? I know this has to get posted on a comedy board somewhere.

8. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

People forget that we started rebuilding while rebuilding. In 08, we had a bunch of vets. In 09, we got younger but the age of the vets showed. In 2010, the vets are all but gone and now we're going all in with the Parcells regime with players they acquired. YOUNG players. 2011 is honestly the last year of reasonable expectation. That's when Vontae will be the top CB in the league, Bess top slot, new fresh RB's, new TE, more secondary help.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  9. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    For someone who's in Baghdad on deployment, you sure spend a lot of time on the net. What are you, a snow disposal officer?

10. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010

Yep. People forget we're 2-2. One game out of first. Not saying we didnt just get our @sses completely kicked in every phase of the game by what IMO is a lesser team, but no matter much you lose by, it only counts as one loss. Time to get back to work and look ahead to Green Bay, no sense crying over Monday night anymore.

11. FinFan316

FinFan316 Banned

Apr 3, 2010
    Wow. The OP said we expected Marino, Shula,and Perfection.

I said it was looking less than Hasselback, Wannstedt, and far from perfect.

How you interpret that as UNREASONABLY high standards is beyond me.

You really want to bring the Patriots into this? Ok.

How long did it take Belichick to start winning SBs with the Patriots?

I think my point is made.

12. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    I love comparing apples to potatoes too. :wink2:

Belichick basically inherited the team he went to the SB with and LUCKED out with Brady. His team was not, I repeat NOT in a major rebuilding overhaul like we were. They were full of veterans intermixed with some young talent who had been playing together for at least 2 seasons for the most part. He drafted well that year by grabbing Light & Seymour, and acquired Vrabel from Pitt....... and that was ALL that was needed.

If you think for a moment that Belichick could've taken over this team, added 1 key player and a few important rookies, and turned us into SB champs in 1 year, then you're sadly mistaken!!

We've had to overhaul nearly the ENTIRE team. What part about that do you NOT understand? What part of our youth and inexperience that comes with it do you NOT understand. No matter how good a coach may be, young players and young teams can only develop so fast.

Belichick is presently doing with his defense EXACTLY what we had to do with our ENTIRE team: rebuilding it from scratch via the draft and developing it. Has genius, magical Belichick turned this young, new (but talented) defense into the league elite? NO, he hasn't..... not even close...... b/c it's friggin next to impossible for a group of toddlers to compete week in & week out against grown men in the NFL. All your Belichick example does is support the argument against you.

13. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    honestly i dont think you understand how this organization is building this team and what the plan is. when they came in three years ago they added a lot of short term veterans to stem the bleeding and build a foundation on which to work from. But the plan has been and will continue to be building through the draft. That is not the quick fix solution you are looking for but the rest of us are happy with it. We would rather have a period of five to ten years of having a good team rather than trying to win it all in a three year span and if failing having to start from scratch all over again

look at the pieces we have in place for the next five years

QB - Henne. Potential franchise QB.

WR -Marshall. Top 3 receiver in the league

WR -Bess - top 3 slot receiver in the league

LOT - Long - Top 3 LOT in the league

DE - Starks - Pro Bowl caliber 3-4 DE

OLB Wake - potentially pro bowl caliber sack artist. on pace for a probowl berth this year. still too early to say for sure

ILB Dansby - Pro Bowl caliber inside linebacker

CB - Davis -Could be top 3 CB by the end of the season

P Fields. - pro bowl caliber if he had punt protection in front of him

K Carpenter - has only missed one FG from inside 40 in his career and is 60% from 50+

This list doesnt even include people like Ronnie, Clemons, Jerry, Carey, Odrick, Misi,etc . I think what you fail to grasp is how young this team is and to expect a team of 1st, 2nd and 3rd year players to win a super bowl or play flawlessly is beyond ridiculous. We have long term pro bowl players at every level of the team. We're now at the point where we dont have to draft entire units but can simply pick and choose select players and BPAs. If you cant grasp how rare that is then I feel sorry for you. This team will win. If you don't have the patience to wait then thats your problem not ours. we get that you're one of the miami faithfull who thinks this is madden football and you should win just because you feel you should. the real world isnt so simple. you have to build the foundation first and that takes time. the foundation has been built in three years and now we can start adding those pieces that will put us over the top

Trowa, djphinfan, SeanP and 4 others like this.
  14. Rick 1966

Rick 1966 Professional Hipshooter

Nov 23, 2007
    Powell, WY
    You are definitely wrong because WE the fans don't run ANYONE out of town. None of us fired Wannstedt, none of us fired Cam Cameron, none of us cut Jay Fiedler, none of us traded for AJ Feeley nor did we trade him away. Our attitudes on this message board or on radio talk shows affect those decisions very very little. A lot of people here seem to have an incredibly overinflated view of the crap we talk about on this board.

15. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    2 Question Pop Quiz...you up for it Sport?

1. Was the Patriots record 1-15 the year before Bellicheat took over?
    2. Have the Patriots won a Super Bowl since they were busted for cheating?

Since the answer to both of those are "No", then it makes your point look pretty wrong

16. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

Look, this franchise hasn't seen a solid team since Marino retired. They have been close, but not gotten any cigars. The fans have been patient thru JJ, Wanny, Saban, Cam-Cam and now Sparano/Tuna. That's 14 seasons, counting this one. The Saints turned it around in just 3 seasons under Payton. The pasties have been contenders since 2001. The Cards even became contenders for a short time. The f&^*)$% jests even have what appears to be a better team than we do at this point ?? You tell me, have the fans been 'patient' enough ??

17. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    I have a lot of respect for our men and men of the armed services, especially those overseas...but I laughed. Hard. Nice one.

18. Samphin

Samphin Κακό σκυλί ψόφο δεν έχει

Mmmmmm Candy and nuts....

Wait, did I miss the point of this thread?

Trowa and unluckyluciano like this.
  19. SeanP

SeanP Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Deltona FL
    You're kidding right?

Do you understand why they got fired? Because when a team loses games, fans stop going to them. When fans stop going to games, Owners do not make money. When Owners do not make money, people get fired.

So, there is a direct correlation to fans displeasure, and the firing of staff... When the fan base whines, complains, the threat of losing ticket sales prompts ownership to make changes.

I assure you, most owners would not care about the quality of the product on the field if they knew they were always going to get 100% attendance at the games. Some of them are here to enjoy the game, ALL of them are here to make money.

Trowa likes this.
  20. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Purist Emeritus

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    three is that you from the old site that I can't even remember anymore that went defunct and closed a few years back. If so, how's it going! glad to see you here on thephins forum. Where ya been? I can't even remember my username...

21. Rick 1966

Rick 1966 Professional Hipshooter

Nov 23, 2007
    Powell, WY
    Huizenga was not a money-first owner. He bought the Dolphins because he was a fan. Ross may or may not be a fan. Fan displeasure was NOT the reason Huizenga did things---if it were, he would have fired Wanny MUCH earlier.

22. miamiron

miamiron There's always next year

Jan 4, 2008
    You call it growing pains
    I call it getting blown out 41-14
    by a team who has more 3 year or less players
    than we do...35 for New England to our 30

I agree with everything you have said regarding New England except for "it takes time"

New England has been 90-26 over the past 8
    seasons while we are 50-66 thats 40 less wins

while New England will have a perfect opportunity to
    take care of any defensive problems with 10 draft picks
    next season with two first round picks,two second round picks, two third round picks,and two fourth round picks

One team is going in the right direction and has been for quite some time while the other team is going in the wrong direction