1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

If I were GM

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by mroz, Feb 9, 2013.

1. mroz

mroz Fix the OL Club Member

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    I would:

In house moves:

Re-sgin
    Jake Long for 4 years 34 Mil (8.5 per is about right for Long considering his history good/bad)
    Fasano 4 Mil per (lowered from 5 to 4 Mil)
    Clemons 3.5 Mil per

Do NOT re-sign
    Smith
    Hartron
    Bush
    Starks

Cut Marshall (4.5 Mil cap relief) and D Patterson (another 4.6 mil in cap relief) < this money was not taken into account in my original post, I put 3 Mil of it towards Andy L, the rest goes to the pool of money for everything else)

Free Agents I would try to bring in:
    Andy Levitre, RG, 9.5 Mil per (added 3 mil from the original post)
    Michael Johnson, DE, 7.5 Mil per
    Greg Jennings, WR, 6 Mil per

With the release of Marshall the Fins would be right around 50 mil under that cap. The suggested contracts would add up to about 36 Mil leaving the Fins 15.6 Mil under the cap < changed to reflect gain from cutting Patterson) to sign their rookies and whatever other miscellaneous players they choose to sign.

Going into the draft the Fins would have taken care of the Vet WR position, RG and have a pass rusher to counter the Kracken. Holes that still need to be filled CB, WR, TE, OL (depth), RB.

Draft:
    1. Johnthan Banks CB (not my favorite CB because I dont think he is a hitter, sort of reminds me of SS24 in that sense but he is a ball hawk and that is about where he is slated to go)
    2a. Quinton Patton WR (from everything I have read (only way I can form an opinion on these guys) he seems to be a natural leader on and off the field. Can never have enough of those guys)
    2b. Jordan Poyer, CB (A CB that creates turnovers… imagine that)
    3a. Stedmon Bailey WR (would be the 3rd receiver behind Patton and Jennings)
    3b. Gavin Escobar, TE (an Escobar in Miami makes me LOL)
    4. Omoregie Uzzi, G (Mobile guard that is perfect for the zone blocking scheme. would be a back up to Richie and Levitre)
    5. Xavier Nixon, OT (project OT to back up Martin and Long)
    7a. Marcus Lattimore, RB (looking at this as a long term pick as I think he will take a year or so to get over his latest injury)
    7b. Brandon Williams, DT (small school project guy)

Offense:

LT, Long (Nixon)
    LG, Levitre (Uzzi)
    C, Pouncey
    RG, Incognito (Jerry)
    RT, Martin (Yeatman)
    QB, Tannehill (Delvin)
    TE, Fasano (Escobar)
    WR, Jennings (Bailey)
    WR, Patton (Bess) (Mathews)
    FB, Lane (Clay)
    RB, Miller (Thomas) (Gray)

Defense:
    LDE, M. Johnson (Vernon)
    LDT, Odrick (McDaniel)
    RDT, Soliai (Randall) (Williams)
    RDE, Wake (Shelby)
    OLB, Burnett (Freeny)
    MLB, Dansby (Spitler)
    OLB, Misi (Trusnik)
    CB, Banks (McCann) (Carrol)
    CB, Poyer (Stanford)
    FS, Clemons (Culiver) (Wilson)
    SS, Jones (Amaya)

P, Fields
    PK, Carpenter
    KR, Thigpen
    LS, Denney

that is 52 of the 53 spots… the last spot wold go to the 3rd QB.

With this in mind, how long would it take to start a Fire-Mroz thread?

:tongue2:

EDIT: I would put Lattimore on the IR and let him heal for a season

Fin-Omenal, MrClean and Bpk like this.
  2. feldspar

feldspar Member

Jun 28, 2009
    No way in hell Jake Long isn't offered at least $10 million per season by some team. That's the true market for him in my opinion. My guess is the REAL GM will not be able to retain him, low-balling him like that.

LandShark13 and Bpk like this.
  3. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    Not bad, like my team better though....:tongue2:

In all seriousness 5M for Fasano is way too much IMO.

mroz likes this.
  4. mroz

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    No one is going to offer Long 10 Mil considering his injury history and his poor play. Right now Long is a middle of the pack NFL LT. I think the top market for him will be in the 8 to 8.5 mil range. When you take into account tax ramifications the difference between 9 mil in one state and 8 Mil in Florida is not that much. Hell, Long's initial request was for 10 mil… he is not going to get "his" top number.

5. mroz

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    his hit 2012 for 2012 was 4.3 mil. So to satisfy both you guys… Give Fasano 4 Mil and Long 8.5 and we are still at the same cap number I had.

6. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    Andy Levitre will be getting Carl Nicks type money.

mroz likes this.
  7. Finsanity247

Finsanity247 New Member

Feb 7, 2013
    Miami, FL
    You're significantly underpaying Long and Levitre. Brandon Williams may be a small school guy but his stock has been in the incline. 2nd or 3rd round pick

Bpk and mroz like this.
  8. mroz

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    I adjusted Long to 8.5 Mil. He is not worth any more than that. Once again, he is asking for 10 Mil, no one gets what they ask for… and Long is not going to get 10 Mil considering his last two seasons. Levitre I would probably agree with. I did not count the 4.6 Mil gained from cutting Patterson. Add 3 Mil to Levitre from that pool and you still have 15.6 mil (give or take) for the rest of the team. As for Williams, I really cant speak on that right now. You may be right…

9. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    Assuming the above was all possible... Overall, I think this would be a good off season. Not too much to complain about.

Pros:
    Improved the offensive line: Should open up the middle for us in the run game. AL is a great G too.

Two rookie WR: Bailey and Patton are my favorite WR in this draft. Seeing them both in this mock off-season makes me happy as ****.

Jennings: Probably the guy we want and will get.

Big time DE: Instead of spending more money on the interior, spending it outside will make this offensive line complete. MJ is a real solid DE. Our defensive coordinator should know him well too.

Addressing CB early: If we let Smith walk, CB is just as big of a need as WR. Glad to see we addressed it in round 1 with Banks.

Escobar: He's a real interesting prospect. Never seen him play outside of a highlight reel. My opinion isn't worth much here... That said, He's got some ****ing ball skills. Constantly catching passes way off target, using tremendous athleticism. For a guy his size, I'm really impressed. I'd really like to hear from CK/Boomer/etc... Who has watched his game film what there thoughts are. Anyone know if he can block?

Lattimore: We took a chance on Gray. Hopefully that pans out. In the meantime, I think ML is another worthwhile investment in round 7. Will he be there is my biggest question?

Cons

Jake Long - That 8.5 million probably won't happen. I'd put him at 10 million with some kind of get out of Jail free card. That is to say, if he doesn't stay healthy and continues regressing, we need a way out of his contract. He have 45 million, plus with your cuts, around 55. You only spent 38-39 mill. So we can afford the extra 1.5 if we get a contract that we can escape. And I'm not to sure Jake will be happy to take less than 10, if Andy L. gets 9.5...

Huge cost for offensive line: I can't say I'm a huge fan of the cost for our new OL. I'd rather see that money allocated around. AL is great. But I don't think any G is worth that much.

Fasano: Do we really need/or want him? I think he's an alright TE (great blocker). But he's not really the pass catcher we need him to be. I think Keller is a better option for us. Not sure how much more (if he would) cost us, but I think that's a better upgrade in the passing game and a decent blocker for when we need it.

Inexperienced WR: Going into the season depending on two rookies (despite the fact I love both of them) is a scary concept to me. At least in context to Tannehill's development. Especially when you include Matthews who's a developmental prospect. And considering Jennings injury history as of late (despite the fact they're not long term injuries), this WR core worries me a bit in the short term.

Inexperienced CB: Even with Johnson and Wake (and Odrick too) providing pressure, I'm still not sure that I like two rookie CB starting. One? Sure. Two? Eh... This leads me to my next point...

Franchise tag: We didn't use it. Not sure that's a good thing. I'm honestly wondering if we shouldn't just rent Sean Smith for the next season. While he's not great, I think it would help us to maintain some consistency in the secondary. Signing Clemens was a good start. Starting two rookie CBs? Not so much. If it's between using AL money and franchising SS24, I think I might lean towards SS24. If he takes another step foward next season, great. If not, he was a rental and we get back his cap space.

mroz and GMJohnson like this.
  10. RickyBobby

RickyBobby VIP DIY

Sep 22, 2009
    Palm beach
    Weakens our defensive line and drafts picks may be unrealistic. Doesn't solve our te problem

Also, no way do I want poyer as my starter.

I do love Johnson and leviwhatever but I would rather draft a guard, too much $$

11. Clark Kent

May 9, 2008
    Can we afford to keep Starks? Is it even a smart decision to keep him? From a talent perspective, obviously. But from a cap perspective, I'm not so sure. Especially with Odrick. PS, Starks, and Odrick. One of them has to be the odd man out. PS just got a deal. And Odrick is talented, young, and under contract for a good price for the next two years. Starks is a pro bowler who will want money. Which of them is leaving? We can't have all three and improve the team in other areas that really need addressing.

12. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I'm really confident that Fasano could be part of a unit that is good enough to win a championship, his overall game is very good, he just lacks some speed and quickness, however, when you aquire that stretch tight end, it's almost comparable to the theory of a wide receiver taking the top off a defense and allowing an intermediate receiver to clean up, it's just more based between the hashes.

Clark Kent and Bpk like this.
  13. Clark Kent

May 9, 2008
    I think your point is fair and probably right. If the right players are around Fasano, he could be more productive. Championship quality TE? Eh, that's a stretch considering the 4 starting TE's in the championship game were Hernandez (sans Gronk), Davis, Pitta, and Gonzo. Four pretty awesome TE's. Last year had similar caliber TE's. This is becoming a trend.

He's not a player who can create on his own. And that type of player isn't a teams #1 TE. Not anymore. Not in today's NFL. Signing Fasano doesn't really improve the #1 TE position. A #1 TE is going to be on the field, by himself, more often than not (unless you're the NE patriots, who will line Hernandez up everywhere). Fasano is a really solid player. He won't hurt you. But He's not Gronk, Graham, Gonzo, Davis, Hernandez, etc... His ability to create by himself and for others is non existent. I think an upgrade is necessary. Otherwise, it's closer to more of the same than not.

TE is still a massive need for Miami Dolphins. And I don't think resigning Fasano is part of the solution. Unless his role will be limited to a #2 at best.

djphinfan likes this.
  14. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I was speaking under the assumption that we are going to add the element that Fasano needs, not comparing him to other starters necessarily, but if we hit on the stretch tight end, then fasanos skillset becomes more valuable in unison with that player and how it strengthens the unit as a whole..It's why I would consider strongly players like Finley, Fred Davis, and of course Tyler Eifert..

Clark Kent likes this.
  15. Clark Kent

May 9, 2008
    My bad. I thought you were speaking about an Egnew type. Someone with speed and explosiveness who can specialize in being a seam threat only.

16. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

If I were GM, I'd just hire Aquafin as my helper, let him do all the work, and spend my time at the titty bars, and the golf course. :shifty:

GMJohnson, Ohio Fanatic and Steve-Mo like this.
  17. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Sean Smiths franchise tag would be 10 Million a year. I'd have to pass.

mroz likes this.
  18. huck1974

huck1974 FU Gene Steratore

Mar 22, 2008
    Missouri

I could see Odrick traded and Starks retained. Grabbing bullets to fire at this save my GM job/win now mode.

19. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    I agree on the CB position. If we're gonna close the gap with NE we need corners and pass rushers in bundles. I can't see letting our top 3 guys walk under the assumption we will grab two rooks to take their place. There's no guarantee the guys you want will be available and there's def no guarantee they will come in and be ready to play at a high level.

It's a given that were gonna be weak somewhere on the roster, QB, OT, DE and CB are the spots where we almost have to have some talent/depth though.

20. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    CB is the least important unit on defense to beat NE.

Pressure up front is a must without blitzing too much.
    Coverage LB's who are smart
    Safety's with recognition ability to take away the seam.
    Then comes CB wich IS important but IMO discipline and smarts overtake flat out ability in this case.

NE rarely beats anyone with the X or Z WR.

21. MrClean

Like yours much better than Fin O'Meals. Your mock draft is ideal!

22. mroz

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    So do I… and THX

23. mroz

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    Who does this weaken the DL? Odrick for Starks on the inside is probably a loss of strength but adding MJ to the pass rush would counter balance that. Over all I think the unit would be better.

Also, what is unrealistic about the draft?

24. mroz

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    Pretty much agree with everything you wrote. There are some concerns about going into the season with 2 rookie WR and CB. We have done the 2 rookie CB thing before and not been burned by it (SS24/Davis). I am sure I am in the minority here but I like Fasano. I think this team could be a championship team with him as the starting TE as long as he is surrounded by other talent.

As for SS24 and franchise tag… There is no way in the world I pay a marginal player super star money. That is how teams get in cap trouble. If you are going to give big money contracts you have to be sure you are giving that money to super star players… ala Andy Levitre

Clark Kent likes this.
  25. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    I will shoot you in the face...with ----'s *****.

26. MrClean

I'd love to have the draft play out that way through the top 5 picks, but I also think it maybe unrealistic, mainly about Escobar. IMO, by the time the draft rolls around, he'll be the 3rd ranked TE on most boards, not that much of a step down from E&E, and gone well before the late 3rd.

27. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Ill be honest here (nothing personal): Id hate it if our offseason went like this. Hate it with a passion. Outside of Banks, Lattimore and Bailey and signing Johnson, I dont like it at all.

28. Clark Kent

May 9, 2008
    What irks you specifically and why? What would you do different?