1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

If Henne is over-hyped, So is Mark Sanchez

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Miamifins854, Jun 8, 2010.

1. Miamifins854

Miamifins854 Finkle is Einhorn

Dec 15, 2007
    UCF
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/402747-as-miami-prepares-to-make-a-playoff-push-is-henne-poised-for-failure

This article was written by me. I am a Journalism Major at the University of Central Florida, and I am the Florida Regional Correspondent for a website called Stadium Journey. Every read helps so I appreciate the time you take to read!

the 23rd, gunn34, Pagan and 21 others like this.
  2. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Not bad. Wish you the best luck in all your future endeavors; may you have a long career at a major news outlet.

dolfan7171 likes this.
  3. mommabilly

mommabilly No riders allowed

May 3, 2010
    Nice work, just remember Jason, if you get a job in NY and have to write good things about the Jets, we will just as quickly put an ice pick behind your left ear. Best of luck in your future career.

Miamifins854 likes this.
  4. Mafioso

Mafioso Air Force's #1 Phin Fan

Apr 7, 2010
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Great article...I like the fire and confidence! Sometime opinions are built more on hype, perception and bias more than reality. Henne might not be the best qb in the league right now, but he's gonna do great things for us and has a bright future........ , ill be watching every game at 3am from afghanistan, because I believe....... GO PHINS!!!

Phinatic425 and dolfan7171 like this.
  5. MikeHoncho

Nov 13, 2009
    :eek:

6. PS17

PS17 NYJ 2010!!!

Jun 20, 2009
    NYC
    Sanchez is not overhyped. He is the real deal.

The only thing he is lacking is experience.

Henne is not overhyped either.

7. MikeHoncho

Nov 13, 2009
    I just don't see it.

8. PS17

PS17 NYJ 2010!!!

Jun 20, 2009
    NYC
    You will. The only thing missing is experience.

Feel free to quote me on this. :lol:

MikeHoncho likes this.
  9. The G Man

The G Man Git 'r doooonnne!!!

Mar 18, 2009
    I think we'll know a lot more about both of them by the end of this season.

MikeHoncho likes this.
  10. SeanP

SeanP Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Deltona FL
    Done!

But seriously, I do agree with you. Both of them will be the premier QBs in the AFC East once Brady steps out (from the sounds of it he's already on a decline). You do have to realize that Henne has had a full season at the position of Head Clipboard interpreter which is something Sanchez did not have. But he also inherited an offense designed for another QB.

Bottom line, this year is the year that we find out what the two of them can do, no excuses. I look forward to it. If it pans out like its looking like it will, we're going to have one HELL of a Jets/Dolphins QB rivalry for years to come.

11. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    IMO both QBs will be very good, but the extra year makes most any comparison impossible at this point.

dolfan7171, Miamifins854 and PS17 like this.
  12. xphinfanx

xphinfanx Stay strong my friends.

Nov 1, 2009
    Thanks for th read I have to say for a first year they look pretty good now if Henne can get the turnover rate lower we have a keeper.

Miamifins854 likes this.
  13. PS17

PS17 NYJ 2010!!!

Jun 20, 2009
    NYC
    Could not agree more. Time for Brady to GTFO.

SeanP, dolfan7171 and Tin Indian like this.
  14. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Purist Emeritus

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    (Mustn't...crap...on kid's...article!)

(Must...stay...positive)

[​IMG]

I really, really liked your article, man. You could be like a...sportswriter.

Pffft! naw, I read it earlier. A good start to your future endeavors. Keep it up!:up:

Miamifins854 likes this.
  15. sloppyjoer

sloppyjoer New Member

Apr 16, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Good article. I'm just so freakin excited for the season to get started.

Phinatic425 and dolfan7171 like this.
  16. Tin Indian

Tin Indian Rockin' The Bottom End Club Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Palm Bay Florida
    I agree with this completely. Sanchez played very well as a rookie and Henne played very well for his first year starting. I do believe both teams are set for the foreseeable future at QB. For both teams it has been a long time coming.

Cheers to the AFC East's real rivalry heating up again!:up:

dolfan7171 and PS17 like this.
  17. Makados10

Makados10 Active Member

Apr 24, 2010
    I think they'll both have good careers.

Henne was more consistent and got progressively better through the year, despite the OL and running backs going on IR every week it seemed... When Hartline emerged in place of Ginn, Henne started racking up yards. Of course, our defense also had a problem of giving up tons of first half points the last few games, so Henne was having to throw from behind. With Marshal this year, I am very excited.

Sanchez definitely had throws and games where he did very well, but he had some god awful interception games during the season. He played very well in the playoffs and that's where it counts the most.

At any rate, I think both teams have good reason to be happy with their quarterback situation compared to most teams in the NFL.

dolfan7171 likes this.
  18. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperbole

Sanchez went deep into the playoffs last season, his rookie campaign.

Henne went 7-9, in his second year, with two training camps under his belt.

Sanchez therefore doesn't need hype.

Sorry, I want the truth to be different too, but them's the facts.

19. MikeHoncho

Nov 13, 2009
    I didn't realize Sanchez stopped the Bengals cold for like 20 3-and-outs in the playoffs (Jets Defense)

I also didn't realize Sanchez once again, stopped a damn good San Diego offense, and got into Kaeding's head to make him miss about 5 field goals (That would again be the Jets D/ST)

He was asked to manage (ala Flacco 2008), and that's what he did (to his credit), but he wasn't lighting the world on fire, let alone leading anyone into the next round or coming from behind in the playoffs. (see also: Jets/Colts)

Sanchez to me, at best, is a poor-man's inconsistent Joe Flacco (based on past performance)

I give the man respect for his two games in the playoffs, but I never buy into the very real hype surrounding him.

By the way, don't mean to slight PS17 or Wagon Circler, but, if you put Sanchez in the Bills offense behind that o-line and that run-d, I can almost guaran-damn-tee you they win 1 game all season (the added turnover ratio wouldn't help). He's nothing to hang your hat on as a Jet fan (at this point in time). If anything, everything in 2009 outside of Sanchez for the Jets was absolutely fantastic and I invite you to hang your hat on that.

Pariah likes this.
  20. Gitrdone

Gitrdone New Member

May 22, 2009
    Canada EH!
    Actually, the Jets went deep into the playoffs last season. Sanchez went for the ride. Would he have gone that far without the number 1 defense behind him? The team carried him last year, but i do think he will get better.

21. Miamifins854

Dec 15, 2007
    UCF
    There is no question he will get better, he was just a product of the system last year. Defense ALMOST wins championships. In the NFL today you have to have a great offense to go far.

22. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

Good article, keep up the good work and do your research well. Hope you make it as a sportswriter, and remember your roots, we could use somebody in the media that likes the Fins! :lol:

Miamifins854 likes this.
  23. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Is he the real deal? Maybe. But you can't deny that he's extremely overhyped at the moment. I know he was a rookie last season and had some success but people talk about him like he was a Pro Bowler and broke records. Now some of that is obviously because he plays in New York (New Jersey), but a lot of it I don't really get. I mean, Stafford had a comparable season to Sanchez and was the first overall pick and no one talks about him.

Again, I'm not saying Sanchez won't become a good QB and I get why Jets fans are excited about him but let's see him win some game with his arm before we get carried away.

24. villain the foe

villain the foe Banned

Oct 5, 2009
    Whats your point? Sanchez was a rookie, Henne wasnt. Henne had a veteran QB to learn from, Sanchez didnt. Henne had a Coach that he had a history with, Sanchez was new to the NFL and had a Rookie "Defensive Minded" head coach. Sanchez needed help to get into the playoffs until week 17, Henne had his destiny in his own hands and threw interceptions down the stretch while Sanchez slipped into the playoffs and made history as a rookie having his best stretch in his very young career.

This thread seems like hatred to me. Henne has potential, but so does Sanchez.

Henne could not step up when the Fins needed him to, Sanchez threw 2 TD's in his last game against the Colts accounting for 14 of the 17 points we scored.

25. LandShark13

LandShark13 New Member

Oct 20, 2009
    North Miami
    I don't know man I really didn't see any hate in the article or in this thread. Everyone here recognizes that Sanchez has talent. Most of us do think that Henne will have a better career but right now its really to early to tell for either of them.

As for the article itself I thought it was well thought out and well written. It doe's show a degree of homerism though but a story written for a team on a teams blog will always have that feel. I wouldn't read to much into it.

The facts are there though and they are laid out rather nicely. Also the tittle of the thread that was also written by the author "If Henne is over-hyped, So is Mark Sanchez" is also quite valid.

Anyway Villian Welcome to thephins. :up:

26. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    Thomas Jones carried Favre in '08 and Sanchez in '09.
    How do replace 29 TD production?
    You fell in on your ear last year bro...

LandShark13 likes this.
  27. LandShark13

LandShark13 New Member

Oct 20, 2009
    North Miami
    I know Villian from JN. He's pretty open minded over there and normally the voice of reason. I'm not sure why this thread seemed like Sanchez hate to him though. I fully expect him to be a valuable contributor here.

PS17 and Killerphins like this.
  28. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    no hate at all towards anyone
    merely asking a question
    no worries :up:

LandShark13 likes this.
  29. LandShark13

LandShark13 New Member

Oct 20, 2009
    North Miami
    Ah dude its all good, I'm just trying to make him feel welcome. I've had some good discussions with him over there. He brings a different perspective and is very open minded. :up:

Killerphins likes this.
  30. Miamifins854

Dec 15, 2007
    UCF
    Hate? no. Frustration with the crush on Sanchez? yes. If you recall the Jets and Dolphins Monday night game, Sanchez was playing pretty well, as was Henne. Sanchez threw a screen pass to Thomas Jones, who ran it for a first down, and the announcers were drooling saying "Man, this kid is growing up before our eyes." Henne made a crucial third down completion that had the perfect amount of touch to get it to Hartline (or Camarillo) and the announcers just said "Pretty good throw by Henne."

You may like ESPN because of its extensive coverage of North East teams. I don't. There is a certain bias that ESPN has, which is similar to a bias CNN has towards more left-winged viewers.

My goal as a sports writer is to just report the damn news, unbiased, and give credit where credit is due. This article was out of my long frustration with the constant coverage the Jets, Patriots, Cowboys, and other high market, diva teams get. ESPN has gone from reporting the news to reporting more personal stories, like a paparazzi. I didn't like to see Tony Romo on ESPN for the mere fact that they were discussing his breakup with Jessica Simpson, just like I don't like hearing about a photo shoot Sanchez took part in before the season.

I just want football. I don't like the bells and whistles that ESPN has decided to cover, and I don't particularly understand why the New York media has to be so New York. There are 32 other NFL cities. If you are going to take a quote from Tom Brady or Mark Sanchez, you should probably take a quote from other players, not ones in the Northeast.

Sanchez is talented, yes. He was also a product of the system last year. He has not proven that he can bring his team from behind by 14 points in the fourth quarter. He has shown that he thrives with play fakes, with 8 men in the box, and with the lead. For him to be the elite quarterback that the media wants him to be, he is going to have to drastically improve when the game is on the line. There isn't much you can do when your defense gives up 84 points in your final three games. Henne made quite a few comebacks last year as well. If he had the support of his defense he would have one at least one more game.

MikeHoncho, Pariah and LandShark13 like this.
  31. Pariah

Pariah Revolutionary

Nov 27, 2007
    Little Rhody
    I teach freshman composition at a University and love when I (rarely) get students with the ability to write like yourself.

One piece of advice I can offer you which was passed from a writer who is an old professor of mine, Thomas Cobb (he wrote the book Crazy Heart which was recently made into a move for which Jeff Bridges won an Oscar):

"If you want to be a writer get yourself a comfortable chair, because your a** is going to spend a lot of time in it."

You have a talent, keep it going.

LandShark13 likes this.
  32. Gitrdone

Gitrdone New Member

May 22, 2009
    Canada EH!
    Nor could the Dolphins D. If the Fins had the Jets D last year, our offense would have been even better. We could move the ball when we needed to, but we couldn't stop a thing.

33. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

The point of the article was that the jests team around Sanchez was better than the team around Henne. He was saying that IF Sanchez gets all the hyperbole and hype for bringing his team along last year, then so should Henne due to the fact that they had identical stats. The difference between the two teams was the jests D versus the Fins D... The jests team went further than the Fins, but the QBs were nearly identical...
    There was no doubt in anyone's mind that Sanchez waned late in the season with is development. He digressed. But the D held fast. In Henne's case, while he didn't set the world afire late in the season either, his D let games slip. Additionally, thru a schedule fluke, the last couple of games really didn't matter to the jests (Colts and Bungles)...so the pressure was off him by then...

The author makes very good points about the media bias for all things NY. Like it or not, it exists. Mainstream media is building up Sanchez as the next Brady or Manning...He may very well be, but so may Henne, both have proven they need more time to start calling them elite QBs.

LandShark13 and MikeHoncho like this.
  34. villain the foe

villain the foe Banned

Oct 5, 2009
    Of course most of you would think that Henne would have the better career...this is a Dolphins site. Go over to Jetnation and that would be a VERY different story.

Now, on that note the hatred that I seen was this. "If Henne is over-hyped, so is Mark Sanchez". How? I dont know how much "hype" Henne is getting but what hype are people talking about with Sanchez? I've heard that Sanchez has "alot of promise" and will be "a star in this league" but hype? Please bro, We werent favorites to beat the Colts when Peyton was sitting, We werent favorites to beat the Chargers in San Diego, We werent Favorites to beat the Colts in the AFC Championship game. Where's this hype that people speak of?

If you're talking about Jet fans then the statement is ridiculous because if you want to talk Hype I remember the Fins owner saying that Henne will be be the best QB in Fins history. I never heard Woody say some "over-hyped" shyte like that.

If its about comparing careers then I would have to give that to Sanchez as well, given that he has more talent around him on Offense and Has a better defense that will get him back on the field. "Team sport" ya see, so I sense Hate by attaching Henne to Sanchez as if Sanchez can only be "as good" as Henne but never better than Henne.

P.S. What up Landshark! lol. Sup bro.

PS17 and LandShark13 like this.
  35. villain the foe

villain the foe Banned

Oct 5, 2009
    These statements are somewhat true. Thomas Jones carried a Brett Favre since week 6 because he had a torn muscle in his arm that was then disclosed a year later, though any Jet fan paying close attention knew that something was wrong with Favre just by the way he held his arm after damn near every throw. He was hurt. Not to mention that Favre was in a completely different Offensive system and didnt participate in OTA's or Training Camp. He knew only 75% of the offense efficiently by Week 10 and I dont think he ever learned the playbook to the extent that he could take advantage of defenses. Lets be serious here. Was Jones NOT supposed to carry the team?

Sanchez, was a rookie. He's not a 4 year Vet bro, however, though he fell on his ear to get into the playoffs he made teams Pay for letting us slip in. The Jets got hot and Sanchez showed that he is the future of this franchise his very first year in the playoffs...Something that Favre couldnt even do with the Jets and he's been in the league for 20 years.

Put it like this, if the Jets wouldnt have made the playoffs last year and his season would have stood like it was then many Jet fans would be skeptical....I cant front. However, how he got into the playoffs wasnt the point, his production against the "top tier" teams for that particular season was very commendable, Beat his childhood fav player Palmer, Showed that he can be poised when behind in the 2nd half to beat a Rivers Charger team, and in his first 5 throws threw two TD's, one for 80yds and another for 15yds while being crushed by the defense to keep the lead though Greene went down and we were 1 dimensional for the rest of the game against the Colts.

Dolphin fans tend not to talk about those upsides, You like to talk about 20 picks in the reg season and how we were lucky to get in the playoffs...yet you dont talk about the will we inflicted on those teams who thought we were just push-overs who fell on their "ear".

LandShark13 likes this.
  36. villain the foe

villain the foe Banned

Oct 5, 2009
    Good lookin Landshark. I just feel alittle defensive because im in rival territory :knucks:

37. villain the foe

villain the foe Banned

Oct 5, 2009
    Yeah, they said it....whats your point? Sanchez should have still been at USC throwing for Pete Carrol at that moment most people thought. So for him to be in the NFL keeping pace with a 2nd year Vet is actually pretty impressive dont you think? Maybe Henne didnt get the "oh my god he's maturing in front of us" remark because people probably already look at him as a mature veteran....is that not possible? Maybe they dont look at him as a rookie who left school early to become a pro. Maybe they see him as a QB that has been in the system going on his 2nd year and has a better understanding. :yes:

And it simply seemed like the commentators gave credit where credit was due. I dont see you talking about how the media was tearing Sanchez a new one when he threw 5 picks against the Bills. Being unbiased yet saying that if Henne is over-hyped then so is Sanchez is only showing that Sanchez cant deserve the hype if Henne was "over hyped". C'mon bro, its either unbiased or not.
    I agree, at the same time if 31 other cities dont like the way NY does it I say start they're own Media coverage. I wouldnt mind that. I cant front, ESPN, Daily News,....they're all biased. But with knowing that I dont tihnk that it would be fair to take away what Sanchez HAS done...especially on the big stage in the playoffs. Dude was very poised and showed that he should be the leader of this team as a rookie. Thats not over hype. Henne didnt hold his coach's or Tuna's job in his hands. Sanchez wasnt only playing for himself, but Tanny's Job, Rex Job and especially Shotty's job was directly linked to the success that Sanchez had. The type of pressure Sanchez had to deal with and for him to be solid in the playoffs as a rookie deserves all the praise that it got.

First off, the only QB that can be said not to be a product of the system is Peyton Manning. I hate that statement because every QB has a QB coach, offensive coordinateor, head coach etc. especially as a rookie. Really, what is your point here. He could be a product of a system yet he still has to go out and execute...just like Henne does so its still a level playing field. Yeah, Sanchez may not have shown that he can pull off a game from 14 down, but Henne hasnt shown that he can buckle down and get his team to the playoffs let alone win 2 playoff games so whats your point? You acting like Sanchez was supposed to do everything that a QB can EVER do in his first year. It seems like the only over hype here is yourself towards him. How about letting the dude have a career? Sanchez will win games in the 4th Qtr and he will certainly blow games too. Every QB does, Give him a chance to have a career first, you talking about all the stuff he didnt do and he hasnt even played 18 games as a professional. Damn.

Like I said, it aint unbiased....but then again I guess its not supposed to, you're a Fin fan and Im a Jet fan. It'll be too easy if we all agreed :hi5:

LandShark13 likes this.
  38. villain the foe

villain the foe Banned

Oct 5, 2009
    Point taken. Im wont sit on this site and front like Sanchez had the greatest rookie year ever, or he's Montana reincarnated. But dude showed what many Jet fans have never seen before, solid consistency in the playoffs. He didnt lose us any playoff games, in fact he kept us in every game, which 2 out of the 3 we won.

Most of you guys are old enough to remember Marino, 80% to 90% of Jet fans never seen Namath live. We only know the legend. So yes, Sanchez may get more love than what his stats showed, but he also showed flashes of great things to come as a rookie, and for that alone many Jet fans are excited for the future, especially with the talent around him.

Look at Marino, freak of nature QB and one of the best to ever do it....CANT DENY IT,.....however, he never had talent around him. Sanchez has talent around him. Arguably the best O-line in the game, Arguably the best Center in the game. top 10 best backup RB in the game in LT, Solid Starting RB, top 5 wide receiving corp...and this is just the Offense. On defense he has possibly the best defensive mind coach duo in Rex and Pettine, arguably the best CB tandem in "The Island" and Cro with "the Island" being the best CB in the game, Top 5-Front 7, top 3 DT in Big Jinx, top 5 LB in Harris as well as a solid Safety net in Leonhard and Pool. Im not saying this to gloat, all im saying is that we havent won a thing in over 40 years....maybe its just our turn, we certainly got the talent now.

Landshark can tell you, on Jetnation I said that with the moves that the Fins made this year I wouldnt be surprised if the Fins made it to the AFC championship game and that the Pats are sitting in 3rd place in the AFC. I like Henne, and his arm is unbelievable, but I just think that this year, with the talent and the flashes that we seen from Sanchez and him being in his 2nd year many Jet fans think that we can really make it to the Superbowl. I just dont see a team scoring 24 points on this defense and I dont see how our offense with this talent CANT score 24 points.

LandShark13 likes this.
  39. villain the foe

villain the foe Banned

Oct 5, 2009
    I understood the point and I still dont agree. If the difference was only the Defense then I would have to give the edge to Sanchez purely off the fact that Henne was a Vet and Sanchez was a rookie. Henne been in the system and wasnt "learning as he went", Sanchez had to absorb all this info and learn on the go...trial and error. Not saying that Henne didnt have some form of that though, it was his first year starting as well, but he did have a leg up in regards to the information and learning the system. No one talks about hat though. He had a chemistry with the team and people already believed in him, everybody on the Jets looked at Sanchez as "the kid, the rookie".

to compare the two in the fashion that it was done wasnt fair, Henne is a good QB, but the only over hype that I've heard about any two QB's is when your owner said that Henne would be the best QB the Fins ever had. That is basically saying that Henne WILL possibly the greatest QB ever. He hasnt started well then because in Marino's first year he took the Fins to the superbowl. If anything Sanchez looks more promising if thats the case because he took his team to the AFC championhip game his rookie year...something Marino didnt even do.

All im saying is that it could go either way

LandShark13 likes this.
  40. LandShark13

LandShark13 New Member

Oct 20, 2009
    North Miami
    For the record I think both QB's are getting as close to an equal amount of Media hype. I also think both QB's have shown enough in their first seasons to warrant such praise.

Let me please clarify what the owner said about Henne and provide the exact quote. I would have done this over at JN but its quote hostile over there for us Fin fans.

For some reason, sensationalism perhaps the media completely over looked the fact that Ross clearly stated that he was hoping that Henne would go down as the greatest QB in Fins history. The use of that one little word completly changes the entire context of his statement and shouldn't be over looked.

The author can correct me if I'm wrong but I believe he is only refering to the media hype.

Again I believe he was just referring to Media hype. I believe both QBs will provide their respective teams something to cheer about that we both missed for years to come. Here's hoping that they both remain healthy.

Just hanging out bro. Now go post a hello in the introduction thread. :up:

Gitrdone likes this.