1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

if Cam is fired, opinions on possible HC targets.

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by fastball83, Dec 10, 2007.

1. fastball83

fastball83 Active Member

Dec 10, 2007
    I mean if Cam is fired, and it's not sure thing for now, 3 HC target are possible IMO.

1/ parcells :

good :

very know and respect in the business from everybody
    know how to rebuilt a roster

bad:

old , so stopgap coach

2/ Marty schot :

good :

experience
    know how rebuilt too

bad :

like parcells, old .....so stopgap too

3/ cowher

good :

younger of the pack
    fidelity
    every year his team compete hard game after game
    give all his heart and soul for his team and his player
    10 or more years of good standing with many playoff sport
    defensive guru (and we need one badly now)

bad :

only a SB ring in many playoff sport
    not sure about his motivation to be a HC again this coming year

My choice is cowher ( he was may choice last year too but Cam pleased me too , I be honest), but now cohwer seems to be the better choice because his team compete hard game after game and it's a must on dolphins team now.

Be honest and give me your opinions .

GO FINS GO !

2. pocoloco

pocoloco I'm your huckleberry Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    North Chicagoland
    After Jimmy Johnson just sort of being here before finally retiring, I cannot see Wayne doing that again. I think he would rather try and lure Pete Carroll out of college ball again before that, but any big name guy would be crazy to take this job at the moment. Older guys won´t be able to put in the years it will take to put together a contender. If they want to be play a GM or advisor role, fine )and I´ve always admired Parcells drafts), but I can´t see them doing every sideline and press conference.

In other words, younger is better, preferably with a guy who hasn´t won anything and will be driven to try. Cowher is good, but I also question his committment. I say go crazy and get Jason Garrett or Mike Singletary, boom or bust types. The safest bet, if it´s available, will be John Fox though.

3. Finatic8480

Finatic8480 New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Miami
    Jason Garrett, Mike Singletary, Leslie Frazier, New Englands OC and maybe Charlie Weis. Charlie weis is a long shot because he has sucked this year at ND and i would probably like a coach who is currently in the NFL. In Order I would probably try to nab Garrett, Frazier, Singletary or NE Offensive Coordinator....

4. schmolioot

schmolioot Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    I'd be leery of Cowher, seems like a burnout case to me. Schottenheimer would be my first choice. He is a proven "turn around" artist and might be just the respected authority that this team needs.

If we're looking at assistants (which I'm not against despite our Cam experience) Garrett is an obvious candidate. Another guy who intrigues me is Giants DC Steve Spagnuolo. Worked for Parcells in Dallas I believe and has the giants D playing extremely well despite some injuries. Has resuscitated Madison's career.

5. Dorfdad

Dorfdad Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Garrett, while he may be good as an offensive coordinator he was here for years and the organization did not think highly enough of him to keep him already!

Cam can not come back, the players do not like him won't play for him and it shows.. Even Dave had a better record than this clown. I honestly think a combo of Bill Cowher as Head Coach and Let Bill be the Defensive Coordinator would work. Let Bill bring in some guys to groom as the New Head coach in 3-4 years when cower retires for good.

Wayne can play them both and having that combo will provide us with great drafts, good coaching, some attitude and honestly some respect and the possibility of 2 years to contend.

If we let Cam and Randy draft for us this year when we have the best draft positions and number of drafts they will ruin it. This is our ONE chance to have a great draft, an with new coaches, GM we can bring in some decent Free-Agents.. Do you think people will be banging down the doors to play for Cam and the 0-16 Dolphins? If they do we will have to OVERPAY big time..

I have a sinking feeling that if Cam is fired we will all be REALLY pissed as Dom Capers will probably be the replacement. If this happens I hope the entire fanbase revolts and storms the Dolphins headquarters hunting for Wayne's HEAD!

6. fastball83

fastball83 Active Member

Dec 10, 2007
    not another rookie HC coach please !

7. Phins28

Phins28 Up the Irons

Dec 4, 2007
    Puerto Rico
    just fire every front office member, bring scott pioli as president and mike singletary as a head coach.

8. Awsi Dooger

Awsi Dooger New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    That's a very intriguing name. Almost every summer I spend a few weeks at Saratoga and attend Giants camp in Albany. Last summer they screwed up and gave me a VIP pass when I happened to walk in through the wrong gate. That allowed me to sit front and center during two practice sessions, in front of the defense.

I was extremely impressed with the DC. He was barking out strategies and advice, extremely aggressive and enthusiastic with sensible recommendations. When they finally had an offense vs. defense scrimmage he was more in charge and involved than Coughlin. He was challenging his defense by setting up down and distance scenarios and telling them how vital it was to understand how to vary schemes and coverage based on situation. I finally asked two guys next to me who he was and they gave me the name Steve Spagnuolo. They smiled when they said it, like he was a new secret weapon.

It's only one year but I expected the Giants D to be awful and it's been anything but that. YPPA defensively isn't great at 6.9 but he's dealt with some personnel issues including an old Madison and a rookie in Ross. The number of sacks is up dramatically from last season, always a good indication.

9. lbmclean_sj

lbmclean_sj New Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Pioli would be great, but I am sure he would choose the HC

10. schmolioot

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    Awsi,
    Very cool story. Every time I see the Giants play I am impressed with Spagnuolo on the sidelines. A coach who is very into the game and seems to have a good rapport with his players. What I like most is the way that "D" has continued to improve. As I'm sure you remember they were atroscious the first two games but got it turned around. That's what you want to see, continued improvement.

11. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    For you people considering Schottenheimer, stop and consider that he'd be a candidate for the position that his old offensive coordinator just got fired from. Schottenheimer loves Cameron, and I don't think Schotty would take the job that Cam just got dumped from, simply out of respect for Cam, a concept sorely lacking here lately.

12. schmolioot

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    Desides,
    I won't speak for others but I have no ill will towards Cam and I don't relish when someone loses their job. In fact, I liked Cam when he was hired and thought he was the best of the finalists (which was an uninspiring bunch, if you recall). However, I stand by my opinion that Cam is not a good coach and that this organization would be better off severing ties right now than to wait 3 years only to confirm what is apparent now.

On Schotty, I would only say that there are only 32 of these jobs in the world and if this is the one that MArty gets offered and he wants to coach, he will take it.

13. Awsi Dooger

Awsi Dooger New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    He definitely has an excellent rapport with the players. That's what impressed me immediately. He wasn't screaming at them in a stressful atmosphere a la Saban. It was instructional with a positive bent.

Plus, and this is what I loved, he had a very confident almost arrogant approach to the "our guys vs. their guys" aspect of the controlled scrimmage. He would bark out things like, "3rd and 8. No way they make 8 yards if we execute. What is it now, 5 straight failures on 3rd down?"

14. schmolioot

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    So, should we start the "Sapgnuolo for Head Coach" bandwagon Awsi? lol

15. BALLS DEEP

BALLS DEEP New Member

Nov 30, 2007

Ya know that's not crazy. Pioli can be had for a badoodle of money. Wayne would need to pony up though. Man that would be a coup!!!!!!

16. Awsi Dooger

Awsi Dooger New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    I don't pretend to know what the decision will be regarding Cam. Like you, he was my top choice among the finalists last year, but the lot was uninspiring at best. You stole my word.

Uninspiring can also describe Cam on the sidelines. I'd hate to have to guess the score simply based on camera shots of his expression, or lack thereof.

The area would be captivated and intrigued by Spagnuola, once they got to know him, and over the shock of another unknown assistant being elevated.

Obviously it's a huge longshot but when I saw your mention of him it felt like watching Jeopardy. I thought, "hey, I know something about that guy!" :lol:

17. schmolioot

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    Ha, we're on the same level Awsi. When it was between Cam, Chan Gailey and Jim Mora, Jr. I was all for Cam.

You know more about Spagnulo than me. I just liked what I saw while watching the g-men from time to time. Thanks for the additional insight

18. Swampfox

Swampfox Season Ticket Holder

Nov 27, 2007
    What about Steve Mariucci?

19. schmolioot

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    He's not horrible but his Detroit experience leaves a real bad taste.

20. Awsi Dooger

Awsi Dooger New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    He's the guy I wanted for the Canes job last year. IMO, he's got Pete Carroll potential as a college coach but he's been too stubborn to realize that. An upbeat personable guy like that in his early 50s would be a recruiting terror and run a fun program that would virtually recruit itself, particularly if he had any type of early success.

Rumors he might be in line for the UCLA job.

21. schmolioot

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    That would be a great spot for Mooch with his Cali roots. UCLA is a sleeping giant of a program.

22. Zod

Zod Ruler of the Universe

Nov 25, 2007
    I've got one question. Who will be their quarterback? Cause if you don't know that, you are probably going to want 1,2, or 3 fired next year. Who then?

23. Whitedolphin54

Whitedolphin54 From the land of legends Luxury Box

Nov 26, 2007
    Somerset UK
    Why are we considering firing Cameron?

24. Zod

Zod Ruler of the Universe

Nov 25, 2007
    For the same reason we wanted Dave Wannstedt gone.

For the same reason the sabre rattlers wanted Nick Saban gone.

We don't have a quarterback. :thumbup:

25. magnum

magnum New Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Mike Shanahan

26. Mr772

Mr772 New Member

Nov 28, 2007
    I don't see any good coaches out there? Taking the Miami job would be coaching suicide anyway. This team is a QB/Coach killer. Cam is worthless. We have very limited talent and only a slim chance to compete if we play mistake free - who wants that job??

27. Bonedoc7777

Bonedoc7777 New Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jason Garrett with parcells as GM, Parcells has said many times that Garrett is head coach material

28. #1dolphinsfan

#1dolphinsfan New Member

Nov 23, 2007
    IF Cams gets fired i sure hope he doesnt but if he does i think we would try and get Cower

29. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

He was linebackers coach under Jim Johnson in Philly for several years, so he has learned from one of the best.

30. joker2thief

joker2thief New Member

Nov 24, 2007
    Along the Watchtower
    why the big love for Garrett?
    what has he shown to you guys that he is head coach material-?
    what his offense in Dallas? he has t.o and romo-did he pick anyone on that team? he just calls the plays-so yeah what has he done-seems to me just the next assistant everyone pushes up because his team is doing good.seems we already have that guy.Do you really think he would have done anything different with this team?
    I am not pulling on anyones jock or stepping on it either.

ZOD said it best-I've got one question. Who will be their quarterback? Cause if you don't know that, you are probably going to want 1,2, or 3 fired next year. Who then?

31. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    What about bumping Dom Capers up to Head Coach?

We are rebuilding, he did launch two teams from scratch so he knows how to take the heat of that process.

32. joker2thief

joker2thief New Member

Nov 24, 2007
    Along the Watchtower
    get the steelers front office if you want someone new
    take a page from the steelers- they keep the same basic system on offense and defense each year so you draft players into your system not the best player available but players that fit your system.There will be continuity you can just plug people in and get rid of the older players as you bring in the right replacement for them.If your d coordinator coach leaves his under study is there to keep everything smooth since the defense will not change an the players will not have to learn a new system.They have been doing this for the last 15 years or so and have been pretty competitive during that time.

33. finfan1966

finfan1966 New Member

Dec 9, 2007
    My first choice is Marty. The guy has the experience and his teams make the playoffs. We don't need any more coaches that don't have any NFL experience. Its time to get a person that knows what they are doing. Also I say let him be the GM too. Mueller has shown from this years draft that he is clueless. The Ginn pick over Brady was almost as bad as the Texans passing on Bush!

34. DallasDolfan

DallasDolfan New Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Marty is definitely the man.

35. joker2thief

joker2thief New Member

Nov 24, 2007
    Along the Watchtower
    The ginn pick over brady? how can you even evaluate that right now-when one guy hasn't even played yet.
    Texas passing on Bush-what has bush done to show he should have been picked
    he is a situational player at best.The Texans pick is a starter and he is actually working out well for them.

36. finfan1966

finfan1966 New Member

Dec 9, 2007

If you don't know by now that Ginn wasn't worth the 9th over all pick in this years draft then you better go watch some more Miami games this season. Real rookie play makers don't need years to show they are good. He was definitely not what the fins needed most at number 9. If you take Trent, Cleo and Beck - together all these guys don't add up to a decent quarterback!

37. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

And how...pray tell...can you surmise that Beck wont be a decent QB?

38. joker2thief

joker2thief New Member

Nov 24, 2007
    Along the Watchtower
    you should probably stop looking into your crystal ball-
    look at Edwards-he is now begging to dominate in his third year-just like brown was doing before the injury

39. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    So the Lions screwed the pooch by drafting Calvin Johnson?

500 yds and 4 tds from the #2 pick? I thought he was a "sure thing"?

Ted Ginn is averaging almost 15 yds per catch, and has a combined total of over 1500 yds with Kr.

And he wasn't a starter until Chambers was traded.

Ted Ginn is about the only player we have that can do the things that he does for us, there is no substitute for him for us.

A great pick up by Mueller and Cam.

40. Swampfox

Swampfox Season Ticket Holder

Nov 27, 2007
    No one has mentioned Mike Martz yet :up: