1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I-phone 3GS or B-Berry Bold.

Discussion in 'Questions and Answers' started by Sethdaddy8, Jun 18, 2009.

Which phone should I get?

Poll closed Jun 23, 2009.
  1. I-Phone 3GS

7 vote(s)
    87.5%
  2. Blackberry Bold

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  3. Keep/get both as I can get serious value out of both

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Sethdaddy8

Sethdaddy8 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    I currently have a regular cell-phone that I've had with Verizon for a looong time. Everyone I know has and has had that number for I've had it damn near a decade. Hell even the Mor has it. During that time, I went to AT&T to get a Blackberry because my buddy worked for AT&T and he got me a nice deal on one of the first blackberrys, which were exclusive to AT&T at the time. Over that time, I switched to an original I-phone. So now I have an I-phone on the slow 2g network, and a regular cell phone. I dont need both. SO...what do I do?
    I need the email and web browsing is nice incase of an emergency. I need to access my company's website from time to time. And I like my gadgets too, but I need a solid phone with a decent battery. Mind you im a switch hitter computer wise and I have a macbook, along with PCs at work and home.

Should I bag the I-phone for the B-Berry(i think the Bold would best suit my needs)sticking with Verizon?

Should I switch my Verizon # to AT&T and get the 3GS? 32gb is pretty impressive as I like my movies incase of downtime, and it syns perfectly with my macbook, as well as surfing the net better than any other phone out there by a country mile.

Please advise. Why does RIM stink or kicks Apples butt, or Vice-Versa? Or is there incredible and unique value each offers, and I should keep both? I would prefer not to financially speaking.
    As always, your thoughts and opinions are very much appreciated!

2. Jt0323

Jt0323 Fins Up! Luxury Box

Dec 7, 2007
    Las Vegas
    IMO it depends if you like to text, then go with the bold, if your not a texter then go with the iphone. The iphone does have a lot of applications and games, and if you are into that then go with the iphone.

Also imo if your not going to use it for business then i would not bother with a blackberry,

Sethdaddy8 likes this.
  3. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    yes i do text quite a bit, and it will be for both business and personal. texting is superior on the b-berry?!

4. Jt0323

Dec 7, 2007
    Las Vegas
    well i dont have an iphone but i have the dare which you text similar as its touch screen, honestly it took some time to get used to but i find it easy texting after a while. I dont make many errors. Some people say blackberry is much easier, but what i used on a black berry i can not stand their software. My buddy has the iphone and he loves it, i used it before and i liked it, easy to navigate stuff, and the internet browser is awesome.

Sethdaddy8 likes this.
  5. daphins

daphins A-Style

Mar 22, 2008
    just ordered a 3GS. Hopefuly get it tomorrow but more than likely it'll be a week or two. Not a fan of BB's. But I'm worried about ATT's coverage honestly.

6. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    yeah, verizon is very good.

7. daphins

daphins A-Style

Mar 22, 2008
    Yeah, but they're kind of like big brother from what i hear. They lock down their GPS system requiring you to by their service.....i've heard that it's unlocked in the new phones but am not sure. My service will be cheap, and there's only a $170 early termination fee (that goes down by $5.00 each month) so I figured if AT&T is as bad as I'm worried that it is, i can just terminate and unlock the iphone for another network. Won't break the bank.

Sethdaddy8 likes this.
  8. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    get the g-1. just go on ebay buy it if its open. boom *****ing phone with tons of free apps.

Sethdaddy8 likes this.
  9. mor911

mor911 pooping

Nov 25, 2007
    Austin, TX
    iphone still seems to be the phone to beat imo

Firesole, Sethdaddy8 and Jt0323 like this.
  10. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    I recently went with the BB-curve and really really like it. One huge downfall I have recently found is that Flash doesn't work on a BB

If you are into texting, the BB qwerty is really nice to have.
    The BB OS is EVERYTHING windows mobile should be. I love the simplicity and stability without missing any functionality.

All that said, the I-phone has MUCH more apps and forward looking functionality than any other phone out there. It isn't even close.
    For me however, a large part of the decision was the touch-screen GUI. I have had it with a handful of PALM products and just honestly don't care for it. For any that have had the I-phone for any length of time, do you have a scratched up screen yet?

Bottomline, can't really go wrong with either phone IMO

Sethdaddy8 likes this.
  11. dolfan32323

dolfan32323 ty xphinfanx

Nov 27, 2007
    Washington DC
    I would stick with a regular phone with buttons, but that's just me.

Sethdaddy8 likes this.
  12. TiP54

TiP54 Bad Reputation

Nov 25, 2007
    Live from the Internet.
    Iphone ftw!

Sethdaddy8 likes this.
  13. Jt0323

Dec 7, 2007
    Las Vegas
    tell you what, if iphone was available for Verizon i would gladly trade in my dare and get it. There are some many phones that try to compete with the iphone but i yet to see one that actually comes close to it...

Sethdaddy8 likes this.
  14. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    That warms my heart when you say that. :up:

To the original point, I love my storm and find it better then the I phone. I've heard that from customers in my store as well but I know any touch screen phone can be highly subjective to personal preference as a small amount of people come in wanting a touch screen phone but get sick of it quick or find it just isnt for them. IMO, the best thing to do is to use each phone in the store for a few minutes and see which one you like. If you try the storm make sure you use it with the newest software (version ending in 148) as it is more responsive then prior software for the Storm.

Working for VZW I cant be truly unbiased and to a degree they are kind of like big brother. However, with the launch of BB App World there are ways around buying different services. Granted the BB App World is still growing and hasnt yet accumulated as many as the I Phone (around 2000 apps right now, most of which are free...Yahoo fantasy baseball App and Pandora being most important lol).....but the I Phone's internal memory limits you to how many apps you can store anyway where as the Storm uses removable memory. :yes:

Also, for what it is worth VZW also has the prorated ETF which decreases by $5 every month. We were the first to do it about 20 months ago :tongue2:

Sethdaddy8 likes this.
  15. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    well, i made my decision, and decided to leave it to the Gods. I drove to the AT&T store, and figured, if on this lunatic mac-fanboi joyous day of the 3GS release, if they had any available, Id get it. and they did. i have a macbook and its just so easy to manage contacts, apps, and media. i will miss verizon though.

but what a money globber apple is...you buy a song on itunes for a buck, then if, and only if it has a little bell by it, you can convert it to a ringtone...for another buck.

Paul 13 and azfinfanmang like this.
  16. daphins

daphins A-Style

Mar 22, 2008
    Got mine on Friday too...LOVE it. Also don't pay for ring tones. There are tutorials online that tell u how to make them for free using only itunes.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Sethdaddy8 likes this.
  17. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ

some of those sites seem half baked. did you try yet?

18. unifiedtheory

unifiedtheory Sub Pending Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    Try one of the tutorials. I've got about 50 ringtones I created, all for free. This is the one I used.

Link.

Paul 13 and Sethdaddy8 like this.
  19. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    awesome. thanks amigo.

this works so easily! thanks again!

Last edited: Jun 21, 2009
    unifiedtheory likes this.
  20. Jt0323

Dec 7, 2007
    Las Vegas
    Yeah i never pay for ringtones, so much easier to make them your own. Ringtones is one thing i refuse to buy

21. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    this 3GS really does fly. i was posting on thephins real quick last night on it, and its impressive.

22. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    FYI, back up your contacts/anything important to your PC or Mac. From what I have heard from many customers if the battery ever needs to be replaced on that phone you run a 50-50 shot of losing your contacts and possibly having your phone erased. Same thing happened with my Ipod.

Also see if your insurance company will insure your phone. Apple wont so you may want to look outside in case the thing gets lost/stolen/broken/cracked screen etc...:wink2:

Sethdaddy8 likes this.
  23. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    you know, thats a great idea! when the worker told me itd be $600 to replace, and there was no insurance option, i was not pleased. i have broken 3 or 4 phones in the past.

but i do have a macbook, and everything is indeed backed up on there.

24. daphins

daphins A-Style

Mar 22, 2008
    I picked one of these up with my phone.

http://www.otterbox.com/?cid=gogot8&kw=otter_box&gclid=CO7YmPzsnZsCFSMeDQodJV4wpA

It's a GREAT case. I have a thick "rubber" case for my ipode, but this guy takes the cake. It has a hard plastic core with rubber that pulls around it. There are rubber caps that you can open and close for any part of the phone. It even has a cover for the touch screen (which works like a charm I might add).

Adds some bulk but gives me peace of mind.

Sethdaddy8 likes this.
  25. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    the defender right? that thing seems heavy duty.

-edit: i just ordered this thing on amazon.com. my $33 insurance policy :)

Last edited: Jun 22, 2009
  26. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    i just saw this:

http://www.theiphoneblog.com/2009/06/12/buy-offer-iphone-3g-insurance/

Paul 13 likes this.
  27. arsenal

arsenal Sunglasses and advil

Nov 26, 2007
    Commack, NY
    i just hate itunes with a passion... and the proprietary bull shizzle of dealing with Apple... otherwise i would have an iphone... i have the Curve and love it, the Bold is huge though and pricey, but i want that 3G, i'll probably upgrade to it soon...

28. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    I love my 3GS, got it last Friday, I had recently purchased a 3G, so it was within the 30 day return policy, got very lucky for once!! Now I have a faster 32 gb phone with video capture abiliy as opposed to a slower 16gb for the same price. I only wish the battery lasted longer.

29. daphins

daphins A-Style

Mar 22, 2008
    Yep, the defender. I bought mine for $50.00 when I picked up my phone :pity:. I had planned on shopping around, but the guy at the counter opened it up to "show me how to put it on" before I realized what he was doing.

Good purchase anyway.

And a little hint..when peeling the rubber part off of the case (you'll see what I'm talking about) peel it off of the BOTTOM first (where the button is). The top part has a skinny piece of rubber that can tear easily, so do your best not to stretch it, or it'll tear. When putting the rubber back on put the top (side side the small piece of rubber) in fist and stretch the bottom into position.

Also, the holster is meant to be worn with the touch screen facing IN not out......it will sit in with it facing out, but is much less secure.

Sethdaddy8 likes this.
  30. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    17 bucks is worth it to have it put on right. i went through about 3 screen protectors before getting it on right. i'll probably just use the one i already have, since its on so well.

thanks for the tips, i can be blunt and impatient when it comes to things like this.

31. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
  32. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    ooh, thats nice! i like this otterbox simply because the thing is a tank, and the screen is totally recessed within it. once 9 or 10 months pass, and it doesnt cost a small mortgage to replace the phone god forbid something happens to it, i'll probably switch to something "nicer" looking like this. thanks for sharing.

Paul 13 likes this.
  33. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    My iPhone is basically a full functioning computer. Took me a while to get it that way, but really the possibilities are endless with it.

34. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL
    i actually work for at&t..both phones are really good, but if you text and reply to emails a lot i prefer the Bold because of the actual physical key board. but you cant really go wrong.

Sethdaddy8 likes this.