1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I have a question

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by dolpns13, Oct 26, 2009.

Tags:
  1. dolpns13

dolpns13 Chest Rockwell is my hero

Dec 3, 2007
    North Jersey
    On the one wildcat play where Ronnie was ran back and was swarmed by the blitz for a 4 yard loss, why wouldnt he just throw the ball away? He was the QB, and was being chased by 4 or 5 defenders, everyone on the field, including Ronnie, had to know he would have been tackled for a loss so why wouldnt he simply throw the ball to the sidelines and away when he was outside of the hashmarks saving us 4 yards. Is there a rule against this? Do you think he was just trying to make a play? All he had to do was toss the ball 5 yards over the sidelines. I was screaming at the TV for him to throw it away instead of getting tackled for a 4 yard loss.

2. opfinistic

opfinistic Braaaaains!

Dec 7, 2007
    Peeking in Nabo's Basement
    I'm amazed it was only a four yard loss, I think he was trying to make a play.

3. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

i think as a natural RB and not a natural QB when he's behind the LOS his instincts are to make it back to the LOS not to toss the ball away like a QB.

dolpns13, Stitches and opfinistic like this.
  4. PHINANALYST

PHINANALYST Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2008
    North Carolina
    i think we were all screaming that during that play ... but RB isn't a QB ... his mindset is to make plays using his feet. it wasn't pretty, ended badly ... but i won't assault RB for it

5. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    sense it was a run play, there was probably linemen down the field to block.....meaning if he threw the ball it would have been inelligible receiver down field....resulting in a penalty and more of a loss. ronnie did the smart thing. very good job by him.

6. dolpns13

Dec 3, 2007
    North Jersey
    Im not assulting him for it.. Just wondering.. Youre all probably right, it was just instinctual for him to try to run the ball and make a play rather than throw it away..

7. DenverDolfan

DenverDolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 13, 2009
    Lakewood CO
    Ineligible man downfield

8. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Banned

Oct 8, 2009
    Anyone notice how there wasn't ONE holding call made in the game? Joey Porter was getting held all game. Way to go, refs. Another completely one sided job. There is a conspiracy going on.

dolfan7171 likes this.
  9. dolpns13

Dec 3, 2007
    North Jersey
    What if he didnt throw the ball downfield, or past the LOS? Is there a flag for that?

10. TiP54

TiP54 Bad Reputation

Nov 25, 2007
    Live from the Internet.
    Then it counts as a fumble, i think.

11. bbqpitlover

bbqpitlover Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Maine
    I believe Ricky doesn't practice throwing the ball in practice so he did what he does naturally the last thing we really want Ricky doing is trying to throw the ball when he isn't suppose to even when just getting rid of it, and let me remind you all of Garo Yepremian.

12. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    hes talking about ronnie......

13. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    It would be intentional grounding if he didn't reach the line of scrimmage or there was no receiver in the area. That would be a penalty (I believe from where he threw it and a loss of down. Also if the receivers were blocking across the LOS that could pass interference. And as has been mentioned above there would be lineman downfield who would be penalized as ineligible receivers.

RB made the right choice to not throw it. I certainly wasn't screaming for him to throw it and I'd be surprised if any of the coaches were either.

DenverDolfan likes this.
  14. RickyNeverInhaled

RickyNeverInhaled Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2009
    Alabama
    i was angry about the same thing. i even mentioned it on the game thread that he should have thrown the ball to the sidelines. but it looks like SICK has a pretty good explanation for it. i wonder if Ronnie knew that.

15. krypto

krypto Banned

Sep 22, 2009
    I think you're over-analyzing and giving Ronnie a lot more credit than what is there. i guess IMO, he's a RB and was just trying to make a play with his legs.

16. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    knowing this coaching staff. guaranteed they practice that situation.....and ronnie knows when he can and cannot throw the ball.