'I have a lot of room to improve' from Beck

33 replies

JEJerryCNew MemberOP
Dec 31, 2007, 12:40 PM

'I have a lot of room to improve'

http://www.miamiherald.com/616/story/362186.html

Good answers and shows where his mind is and his maturity.
Takes responsibility for his mistakes and admits he has a good ways to go, but kept the optimistic viewpoint that the playtime he had, good and bad ones, were good experience. Well done John.

SuperMarksBros.SuperMarksBros.Forum Veteran
Dec 31, 2007, 12:43 PM

good game from him.

fortunately for us, Parcells isnt going to kneejerk to Beck like some of the people in this forum. I expect Beck will have his shot.

"Best feeling in the world, when I'd call out the play the other team was about to run and see the look on their faces." ---Zach Thomas

JEJerryCNew Member
Dec 31, 2007, 12:45 PM

Yes I think Parcells will get him in a workout program, muscle him up some and see what he can do with proper development....I believe we will be happy with him.

like2godlike2godLuxury Box
Dec 31, 2007, 12:50 PM

"SuperMarksBros. wrote:

good game from him.

fortunately for us, Parcells isnt going to kneejerk to Beck like some of the people in this forum. I expect Beck will have his shot.

"JerryC wrote:

Yes I think Parcells will get him in a workout program, muscle him up some and see what he can do with proper development....I believe we will be happy with him.

Yupper, he is a smart kid and will only get better in time. I also believe that he is going to get his shot next year.


I love you Mom, you are the greatest woman that I've ever known.

TATampaFinsFan01New Member
Dec 31, 2007, 01:14 PM

"JerryC wrote:

http://www.miamiherald.com/616/story/362186.html

Good answers and shows where his mind is and his maturity.
Takes responsibility for his mistakes and admits he has a good ways to go, but kept the optimistic viewpoint that the playtime he had, good and bad ones, were good experience. Well done John.

ROFL...kind of stating the obvious, huh? He was absolutely horrible this year. He does have alot of room to improve. Hopefully he will.

Obviously, hes no Dan Marino (how many are). But this year, he looked liked if he improved greatly, he might be Jay Fiedler. And that is scary as hell.

Draft a QB, Bill. And do so early.

TATampaFinsFan01New Member
Dec 31, 2007, 01:18 PM

"SuperMarksBros. wrote:

good game from him.

fortunately for us, Parcells isnt going to kneejerk to Beck like some of the people in this forum. I expect Beck will have his shot.

He will get a shot, alright. And he better do more with it than he did with his opportunities this year.

I didn't expect him to be able to read defenses or check out of plays to beat a blitz, I did expect him to be able to take a snap. And he alot of trouble with that, and on more than one occasion.

It looks like he might be the QB of the future....more accurately, the BACKUP QB of the future. Now lets use the first pick to get a starter.

CACaptain louNew Member
Dec 31, 2007, 01:41 PM

"TampaFinsFan01 wrote:

ROFL...kind of stating the obvious, huh? He was absolutely horrible this year. He does have alot of room to improve. Hopefully he will.

Obviously, hes no Dan Marino (how many are). But this year, he looked liked if he improved greatly, he might be Jay Fiedler. And that is scary as hell.

Draft a QB, Bill. And do so early.

I'll make a little bet with you. If we draft a qb early rounds 1 or 2 I will never post again. But if we dont draft one you never post again.

Deus ex dolphinDeus ex dolphinForum Veteran
Dec 31, 2007, 01:54 PM

"TampaFinsFan01 wrote:

ROFL...kind of stating the obvious, huh? He was absolutely horrible this year. He does have alot of room to improve. Hopefully he will.

Obviously, hes no Dan Marino (how many are). But this year, he looked liked if he improved greatly, he might be Jay Fiedler. And that is scary as hell.

Draft a QB, Bill. And do so early.

I could actually live with Beck being a stronger armed version of Jay Keebler. While I felt Jay held back the offense with his limited arm strength, he did play with heart and was willing to take shots to complete passes or dive for a TD.

I see signs that Beck has a similar attitude about "doing what it takes" to move the chains or get the TD. He has a much better arm, which is HUGE since it will allow him to complete some passes that Jay couldn't.

Let Beck develop in 08, and if he fails, the Phins will have a high draft pick in 09 anyway. I am for getting a later round QB this year, and a vet to be #2.

A terrible play call, terribly executed.

Bonedoc7777Bonedoc7777New Member
Dec 31, 2007, 02:09 PM

hey the kid is no phoney, you have to really like his make up, hopefully he has the talent

"I want to buy the groceries" Bill Parcells

adamprez2003adamprez2003Forum Veteran
Dec 31, 2007, 03:05 PM

"SuperMarksBros. wrote:

good game from him.

fortunately for us, Parcells isnt going to kneejerk to Beck like some of the people in this forum. I expect Beck will have his shot.

Actually, Parcells makes up his mind immediately on players. He doesnt keep people he doesnt believe in. If Parcells has any doubts aboput Beck He'll become a professional clipboard holder next year



2019 DRAFT WISH LIST
1) DT Dexter Lawrence - Clemson
2) DE Jaylon Ferguson - Lousiana Tech
3) OG Chris Lindstrom - Boston College
4) CB Amani Oruwariye - Penn State
5) DE Shareef Miller - Penn State
7) C Sean Krepcz - Nevada
7) RB Wes Hills - Slippery Rock

Reporter: "Why did you fire Coach Gase?"
Ross: "Because he wants to win now"

Roman529Roman529New Member
Dec 31, 2007, 03:18 PM

"adamprez2003 wrote:

Actually, Parcells makes up his mind immediately on players. He doesnt keep people he doesnt believe in. If Parcells has any doubts aboput Beck He'll become a professional clipboard holder next year

QB is the one position where you have to get it right in order to compete. Unfortunately we have had nothing but average to below average QB's since Marino retired. I wish I was more optimistic about Beck, but I am not. Everyone says he needs time, and be patient, and he will improve, but I also think Beck is not much different than Fiedler, Feeley, Lucas, Green, Culpepper, Lemon, etc. I don't know if Ryan, Brohm or Brennan would be any better, but things are not going to change here unless we get a FRANCHISE QB.
:sad:

AZazstrykerNew Member
Dec 31, 2007, 03:22 PM

"TampaFinsFan01 wrote:

ROFL...kind of stating the obvious, huh? He was absolutely horrible this year. He does have alot of room to improve. Hopefully he will.

Obviously, hes no Dan Marino (how many are). But this year, he looked liked if he improved greatly, he might be Jay Fiedler. And that is scary as hell.

Draft a QB, Bill. And do so early.

Wow, we actually agree on something, now that's scary!!!!

adamprez2003adamprez2003Forum Veteran
Dec 31, 2007, 03:22 PM

"Roman529 wrote:

QB is the one position where you have to get it right in order to compete. Unfortunately we have had nothing but average to below average QB's since Marino retired. I wish I was more optimistic about Beck, but I am not. Everyone says he needs time, and be patient, and he will improve, but I also think Beck is not much different than Fiedler, Feeley, Lucas, Green, Culpepper, Lemon, etc. I don't know if Ryan, Brohm or Brennan would be any better, but things are not going to change here unless we get a FRANCHISE QB.
:sad:

Yeah. A QB is the most important position. Maybe Beck can really elevate but like you I dont really see the potential. I really think Beck starts next year on the bench again



2019 DRAFT WISH LIST
1) DT Dexter Lawrence - Clemson
2) DE Jaylon Ferguson - Lousiana Tech
3) OG Chris Lindstrom - Boston College
4) CB Amani Oruwariye - Penn State
5) DE Shareef Miller - Penn State
7) C Sean Krepcz - Nevada
7) RB Wes Hills - Slippery Rock

Reporter: "Why did you fire Coach Gase?"
Ross: "Because he wants to win now"

SilverphinSilverphinForum Veteran
Dec 31, 2007, 04:04 PM

So if we draft a QB in the first round and he puts up Beck 07 numbers, what are you going to do then? Hope we draft another QB in the first round next year?

cnc66cnc66Luxury Box
Dec 31, 2007, 04:05 PM

"Silverphin wrote:

So if we draft a QB in the first round and he puts up Beck 07 numbers, what are you going to do then? Hope we draft another QB in the first round next year?

of course.. all the while screaming for Beck to come off the bench and save us...

adamprez2003adamprez2003Forum Veteran
Dec 31, 2007, 04:10 PM

"Silverphin wrote:

So if we draft a QB in the first round and he puts up Beck 07 numbers, what are you going to do then? Hope we draft another QB in the first round next year?

Its not about numbers but rather potential, and eventually fullfilling that potential. You see it, I dont. Only time will tell



2019 DRAFT WISH LIST
1) DT Dexter Lawrence - Clemson
2) DE Jaylon Ferguson - Lousiana Tech
3) OG Chris Lindstrom - Boston College
4) CB Amani Oruwariye - Penn State
5) DE Shareef Miller - Penn State
7) C Sean Krepcz - Nevada
7) RB Wes Hills - Slippery Rock

Reporter: "Why did you fire Coach Gase?"
Ross: "Because he wants to win now"

Rick 1966Rick 1966Forum Veteran
Dec 31, 2007, 04:11 PM

We have a new GM coming in and probably a new head coach. They're going to want to start fresh with their own guy, and that doesn't bode well for Beck. I think this offseason we both bring in a veteran QB and draft a QB on the first day and Beck starts the season as the second stringer. Lemon and Green will be gone. Beck will have this offseason/preseason to prove to the new coach that he's worth keeping and if he doesn't, he'll likely be gone after this next season.

RGFRGFSupporter
Dec 31, 2007, 04:14 PM

[QU

OTE=TampaFinsFan01;34065]ROFL...kind of stating the obvious, huh? He was absolutely horrible this year. He does have alot of room to improve. Hopefully he will.

Obviously, hes no Dan Marino (how many are). But this year, he looked liked if he improved greatly, he might be Jay Fiedler. And that is scary as hell.

Draft a QB, Bill. And do so early.

I read the post,then checked to see who wrote it and it all made sense. Some things never change we`ve been on the same page for quite a while now.

SWsweeperNew Member
Dec 31, 2007, 04:24 PM

"like2god wrote:

Yupper, he is a smart kid and will only get better in time. I also believe that he is going to get his shot next year.

dude hte man got benched b/c our o line did NOT allow him more then 1 sec to stand in the pocket so they put lemon in who can scramble n run out of the pocket. This kid will be good once he has time to throw and players to throw too. I really like him. 4 int in what 5 games? thats good efor a rookie. And keep in mind it came against a very good S/CB.

Go for GHOL!

^^^^^^^^^
1st pick

FIFinsAreLifeNew Member
Dec 31, 2007, 04:34 PM

Beck's our man. We need consistency in Miami and we have to start by sticking with a guy whos been here for at least a year. He can develop into consistency and i think will have a decent year next year and great years to come after that.

JEJerryCNew Member
Dec 31, 2007, 05:58 PM

The key I think with Beck and Parcells(I think Beck has a lot of potential), is does Parcells see enough raw talent that he can develop properly, in Beck and I think there is, and if anyone can get the development done right, Bill will.

SilverphinSilverphinForum Veteran
Dec 31, 2007, 06:16 PM

"adamprez2003 wrote:

Its not about numbers but rather potential, and eventually fullfilling that potential. You see it, I dont. Only time will tell

And Beck doesn't have potential? After what we did yesterday? Provided, it was "garbage time", he made some of the nicest throws when he didn't have to dump off. Especially that TD strike to Hagan.

Rick 1966Rick 1966Forum Veteran
Dec 31, 2007, 06:23 PM

"FinsAreLife wrote:

Beck's our man. We need consistency in Miami and we have to start by sticking with a guy whos been here for at least a year.

:lol:
Consistency...1-15 is nearly the ultimate in consistency. Everyone who kept saying we should keep Cam-Ran kept going on and on about consistency. Being consistently BAD is not a good thing.

adamprez2003adamprez2003Forum Veteran
Dec 31, 2007, 06:50 PM

"Silverphin wrote:

And Beck doesn't have potential? After what we did yesterday? Provided, it was "garbage time", he made some of the nicest throws when he didn't have to dump off. Especially that TD strike to Hagan.

Let me rephrase that a different way. I really think the model for the guy is Drew Brees. If everything works out for him he could be a slightly bigger version of the guy. I think that is his ceiling. I like Drew Brees as I'm sure everybody here does. However, Drew Brees is not my type of QB. I simply dont trust that the guy will stay healthy throughout his career. I also think that he falls into the 2nd category just below the elite QBs. I dont think Brees can ever get into the Favre category. I know Brees has great stats but I think you have to put an all star cast around him for him to shine. That is easier said than done and almost impossible to expect. I'm not saying this to start a debate about Brees. Its my own opinion and I fully appreciate that others have different opinions and I am not saying that mine is right. It is simply my opinion. Last thing I'll say about Brees is it took him 4 years to develop into the QB he is today

Which leads me to John Beck. I dont think he'll be as good as Drew Brees, ever. I remember Brees early on and even though I didnt like his type of QB I saw something in his game that held potential for the future. He had a certain never say die attitude that I think in retrospect allowed him to survive his brutal learning curve. I dont think I see that in Beck. I see a guy that if he sees something for the first time will panic. And he is going to see alot of things for the first time over the next few years. I think he'll need the same four years to reach his potential and by then the Dolphins will have another QB in place because at 26 going on 27 he doesnt have 4 years to develop for us. He needs to take a huge leap forward next year. Its his make or break year IMO. I think if he fails to show all the good traits I read about him, he will stay on the bench for Miami for the remainder of his contract and his career will be put on hold. If that happens look for his progress to be put on hold and that could mean that he won't be reaching his potential till 32 or so, think Damon Huard.

Personally for him to become Brees he would have to have a very special heart and a whole lot of guts. I dont see it but I appreciate that others might. In the end I hope he becomes the greatest QB ever but I just dont want to gamble on that proposition. Bottom line for Beck IMO is that next year is a make or break year for him. If he fails to make an impression that he is really a QB who can lead a team to a Superbowl somewhere down the line (stats dont matter here - just progress and potential) I think he'll be slotted as a career backup by our coaching staff and his career qwill be put on hold for the last two years of his contract (assuming its 4 years)



2019 DRAFT WISH LIST
1) DT Dexter Lawrence - Clemson
2) DE Jaylon Ferguson - Lousiana Tech
3) OG Chris Lindstrom - Boston College
4) CB Amani Oruwariye - Penn State
5) DE Shareef Miller - Penn State
7) C Sean Krepcz - Nevada
7) RB Wes Hills - Slippery Rock

Reporter: "Why did you fire Coach Gase?"
Ross: "Because he wants to win now"

CACaptain louNew Member
Dec 31, 2007, 07:32 PM

"adamprez2003 wrote:

Let me rephrase that a different way. I really think the model for the guy is Drew Brees. If everything works out for him he could be a slightly bigger version of the guy. I think that is his ceiling. I like Drew Brees as I'm sure everybody here does. However, Drew Brees is not my type of QB. I simply dont trust that the guy will stay healthy throughout his career. I also think that he falls into the 2nd category just below the elite QBs. I dont think Brees can ever get into the Favre category. I know Brees has great stats but I think you have to put an all star cast around him for him to shine. That is easier said than done and almost impossible to expect. I'm not saying this to start a debate about Brees. Its my own opinion and I fully appreciate that others have different opinions and I am not saying that mine is right. It is simply my opinion. Last thing I'll say about Brees is it took him 4 years to develop into the QB he is today

Which leads me to John Beck. I dont think he'll be as good as Drew Brees, ever. I remember Brees early on and even though I didnt like his type of QB I saw something in his game that held potential for the future. He had a certain never say die attitude that I think in retrospect allowed him to survive his brutal learning curve. I dont think I see that in Beck. I see a guy that if he sees something for the first time will panic. And he is going to see alot of things for the first time over the next few years. I think he'll need the same four years to reach his potential and by then the Dolphins will have another QB in place because at 26 going on 27 he doesnt have 4 years to develop for us. He needs to take a huge leap forward next year. Its his make or break year IMO. I think if he fails to show all the good traits I read about him, he will stay on the bench for Miami for the remainder of his contract and his career will be put on hold. If that happens look for his progress to be put on hold and that could mean that he won't be reaching his potential till 32 or so, think Damon Huard.

Personally for him to become Brees he would have to have a very special heart and a whole lot of guts. I dont see it but I appreciate that others might. In the end I hope he becomes the greatest QB ever but I just dont want to gamble on that proposition. Bottom line for Beck IMO is that next year is a make or break year for him. If he fails to make an impression that he is really a QB who can lead a team to a Superbowl somewhere down the line (stats dont matter here - just progress and potential) I think he'll be slotted as a career backup by our coaching staff and his career qwill be put on hold for the last two years of his contract (assuming its 4 years)

He has a better arm than Brees. You simply cant assume ANYTHING in 4 games on THIS team. I'm quite certain you didn't watch every game Brees played in as a young player, and certainly without micro managed criticism. I not sure how you can say has hasn't shown toughness. He was pummeled behind our line and never showed happy feet or tried to break out of the pocket simply because of pressure. I think many of you just have unrealistic expectations for him or any young qb. DO YOU REALLY THINK ANY ROOKIE WOULD HAVE HAD SUCCESS ON THIS DOLPHIN TEAM THAT WILL GO DOWN AS ONE OF THE WORST TEAMS IN NFL HISTORY. YOU CAN'T ARGUE THAT THIS TEAM WAS FAILING ONLY BECAUSE QB PLAY. The offensive scheme was a failure, disorganized, and had nobody making plays,no TE, and a limpimg running game. I guess if Beck had the potential to be a big time qb those problems would have just gone away. GET REAL!