1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I feel bad for A.J. Edds

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by MrClean, Jul 31, 2012.

1. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Sort of Dolphins related since he is a former member of the team...anyway, reports out of Colts camp is he left the field with an apparent knee injury. The other knee from the one he injured with Miami.
    I really had high hopes for him when we drafted him. Seems like a good dude with class and intelligence. Hate to see him struggle with injuries like he has.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/n...067/report-colts-lb-aj-edds-may-have-torn-acl

2. FinNasty

FinNasty Alabama don’t want this... Staff Member Club Member

Dec 1, 2007
    Just saw that too. Feel terrible for the kid...

MrClean likes this.
  3. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    Dude at worst will make 100k+ as some figure head for an Iowa buisness. I know what you mean but the reality is what it is.

TiP54 likes this.
  4. MrClean

He was durable at Iowa too. Ya just never know who the injury bug will hit. His knee injury with Miami was non contact too as I recall. He may never play much again, or he may go ten years without another injury.
    This is somewhat similar to Yatil Green. He never tore up a knee in college. Only had some muscle pulls and such. Then we all know what happened after that.

5. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    Torn ACL. Poor guy.

6. PhinsRDbest

PhinsRDbest Transform and Transcend

Jan 5, 2010
    the next dimension
    Was my favorite pick of that draft, probably would be competing with Misi to start at wolb if no injury.

7. seabass0795

seabass0795 New Member

Feb 26, 2012
    Orlando
    Wow i feel bad for him... I tore my ACL a couple months back and the 6 month recovery and the feeling that you cant play football are both terrible terrible feelings... I pray for a speedy and successful recovery for him

ASUFinFan and Stitches like this.
  8. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    Shame. He really had a great deal of potential and I think would have wound up a starting OLB somewhere (if not here) if not for his injuries. Really feel bad for him.

9. gilv13

gilv13 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2009
    That was one of the more intriquing picks of that draft for the Fins imo. Sometimes it's just not meant to be I guess.

10. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    What happened to Yatil Green is the best evidence that we have of this team being under some vodoo curse.

11. Den54

Den54 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 23, 2007
    AMERICA!
    Well Jimmy Johnson forced him back too soon from his first knee injury if memory serves.

12. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    This is one of th reasons why I do not complain when a player holdsout for more $$$, a career can end in a single moment.

13. MrClean

I thought he had this 2nd knee injury in the next year's training camp. They were about one year exactly apart. Is that how you recall it too?

14. Den54

Den54 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 23, 2007
    AMERICA!
    That sounds right. I seem to recall Yatel stating he felt he needed more time because he was experiancing soreness in his knee. JJ basically threaten to cut him if he didn't get out there and go full speed. Yatel did, and his knee went pop for the second time.

I could be wrong.

MrClean likes this.
  15. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    true, but it's a little different when you have legitimate childhood dreams within your grasp that get dashed after working your entire life to get there.
    The emotional factor has gotta be quite significant. I've seen how it affects high school kids who never had a shot at Division 1 college, let alone the NFL.

16. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    He screwed up his quad too IRRC.

17. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    Another great pick by Ireland.

18. BlameItOnTheHenne

BlameItOnTheHenne Taking a poop

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie

LOL solid bump

19. evz

evz Feral Druid Club Member

Yeah he should have seen those injuries coming...

Tin Indian and BlameItOnTheHenne like this.
  20. MrClean

Is that all you come here for? To ***** about Ireland? No GM in history has been able to effectively predict injuries. Edds was a solid pick in the 4th from a talent perspective. He'd been durable in college. So, it's all Ireland's fault that Edds got hurt?

ToddPhin likes this.
  21. BlameItOnTheHenne

BlameItOnTheHenne Taking a poop

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie

Much better sig. Much better.

22. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Clean, stop feeding the trolls. Its not worth it.

MrClean likes this.
  23. MrClean

I like Brazil. Ain't yet been there, but it is one place that is near the top of my 'yet to see but want to' list. :)

24. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    Edds was healthy and playing well in the preseason and we still cut him.

25. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Make up your mind will you.
    Which one is it---- a bad pick?.... or a good pick that we mistakingly cut?
    Orrr, are you not being sarcastic and feel Edds was a great pick by Ireland but the staff cut him regardless? :shifty:
    Nothing of your posts make sense other than twisting everything into hatred of Jeff Ireland. It's so extreme that nothing you say can be taken seriously IMO.

Added:
    after reading through the old "Dolphins waive Edds" thread, the only thing that makes sense about your posts is that they sound similar to these ones:

Fin D, Disgustipate and MrClean like this.
  26. MrClean

Ahhh, our old friends DolfanJake and Abbi...perhaps resurfacing under new user names. I'm also convinced that poster who goes by something like jw3102 is also DolfanJake's long lost brother. :lol: I think you and I would both be better off to just put posters like all of them on 'ignore' status, and avoid the aggravation.

Fin D likes this.
  27. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    I've been a long-time lurker but I'm not sure who DolfanJake and Abbi are outside of the posts from the past Edds thread I just looked up and referenced, so I can't help you on this one, MrClean.

but it's like a bad train wreck--- impossible to turn away. :lol:

MrClean likes this.
  28. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    If you're going to have a parachute account you should probably make it harder to figure out by not being the one guy who is that irritating and harps on the same thing.

Fin D likes this.
  29. MrClean

But, there are so many new user names who pop up seemingly to mainly denigrate Ireland. If you can figure out who else they may be, you are better at it than I am.

30. smahtaz

smahtaz Pimpin Ain't Easy

I had high hopes for Edds as well. Really liked the kids attitude. Too bad about his luck.

31. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    okay well now i hope you're being sarcastic. anytime you cut ties with a 4th rounder after only one season, that's not a good thing. especially in Edds' case since he didn't play one meaningful down for us. he was a bad pick. same with Shawn Murphy. and Patrick Turner. and Pat White. and John Jerry, a lock to be cut pretty soon. and Mr. Clyde Gates could be next to join this ever growing list of wasted mid round draft picks.

32. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Compile a list of all 4th to 7th round draft picks the last five or so years. Prove ours have been any worse than any other team. Come back.

There I made it easy for you.

ToddPhin likes this.
  33. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    So what you're saying is Edds was a good pick (hence your "Edds was healthy and playing well in preseason" statement) but the Miami coaching staff failed to responsibly develop him? :shifty:
    A 4th rounder who misses his entire rookie year due to a preseason injury is not in a good situation to begin with. Just ask the talented Greg Childs who was recently cut by Minnesota after tearing up his knee. Vikings, however, didn't give him a year to see what happens; they cut him immediately.

It's never good when picks don't pan out.
    Unfortunately in this case neither you nor I knows who was responsible for those picks; HOWEVER we do know Parcells ran the draft and admitted to drafting White and said the following about it, "It was a deviation from [my] principles," Parcells told Sports Illustrated. "He was not prototypical. … He wasn't accurate enough and didn't throw it well enough."

As for Jerry, Turner, Nalbone, and Murphy:
    -Jerry & Turner both fit Parcells' mold. In '09 Parcells was in Mobile, Alabama scouting players at the Senior Bowl (Jerry & Turner were 2 of 'em).
    -Murphy also fit Parcells' mold. His father, Dale Murphy, referenced Bill Parcells as the person who drafted him, "We were glued to the TV," Murphy said. "After my wife Sandy screamed, my first thought was, 'Really. Bill Parcells picked Shawn.' What a compliment. ... I know he's one of the best evaluators and successful coaches in the history of the game."
    -Nalbone was Parcells hometown New Jersey guy.
    -Gates. Anyone complaining about Miami taking a 4th round chance on Clyde has NO business discussing football and should immediately head to the kitchen and put on an apron.

34. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    If you want to continue blindly throwing blame at Miami's poor picks from '08-'10, then aptly throw it at the person who was in charge [Parcells], not his protege.

*** said about Parcells just prior to our '09 draft:
    *** Miami Herald article October 2010:

*** April 2011 Miami Herald:

***Sept 2010, USA Today:
    Thankfully Armando was wrong about Ireland likely continuing to pick prototypical Parcells players once the Bill Parcells safety net was lifted and the protege was given the green light by BP to become the man running the show.

Fin D likes this.
  35. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007

I've probably run this into the ground, but there's no need to throw anyone under the bus. I don't think you can start from an adequate frame of reference, and having looked at what a normal NFL draft looks like in terms of success rates and players produced and claim the Dolphins have been worse than average.

36. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    I'm not sure who you think I'm throwing under the bus. I think you may have misunderstood the intention of my post, but that could be more my fault.

I'm not saying they've been worse than average, nor have I been criticizing Miami's failed picks. IMO we've been better than average and have managed to field a talented team.

37. MrClean

Jerry was a player in the 2010 Senior Bowl on the team that the Dolphins coaches coached. So they should have known him very well as a player, as for what his strengths and weaknesses are.
    I do not recall whether Patrick Turner played in the 2009 Senior Bowl, but our coaches did not work as one of the staffs that year, IIRC.

38. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    I didn't mean to mischaracterized your comments, I meant it as a generalized thing. People will try to absolve Ireland by blaming Parcells for something, when the grounds for criticism isn't that great.

ToddPhin likes this.
  39. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Purist Emeritus

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    I agree. The last girl had that creepy Benne Gesserit witch hairline...

40. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    You win cool points from me with the Dune reference.