1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I Drafted Ronnie Brown on my Fantasy Team

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by PS17, Sep 2, 2010.

1. PS17

PS17 NYJ 2010!!!

Jun 20, 2009
    NYC
    So that brings up the question: How will Ronnie do this year? What will his numbers look like? Will he have the annual season ending injury, or will he make it through all 16 games?

Thanks, Fins Fans!

Note to mods: I think this is in the right forum, because it's discussing the future performance of a Miami Dolphin.

2. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I wouldn't count on it.

Stitches and Anonymous like this.
  3. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I have a good feeling about RB this season. He's the healthiest he's been going into the season since the last time he made it through 16 games. Obviously, nobody knows what's going to happen, but I also drafted him in my fantasy team this year so I do have some confidence. IIRC this is the first year I've drafted him.

4. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    he will have a good year , what round you got him ? our draft is on sunday and i pick 9th in our snake league, i would be happy if i somehow get him with my 3rd or 4th pick of the draft, we won´t know if he makes it through a whole season, the injury concern for him is way overrated though , he got hurt on 2 freakin moments, tearing his ACL after he tried to make a tackle after an INT and the one last year after a fumble, he will be alright, with marshall takin care of the 8 men in the box, i would say he could have around 1100 yards with 10 td´s , his receptions could go up bigtime as well, chenne used the RB´s in general in the passing game so far in the preseason.

5. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    which round buddy ? my draft is on sunday, gettin little nervous the closer it gets, is your league PPR ?

6. Pariah

Pariah Revolutionary

Nov 27, 2007
    Little Rhody
    Since you are one of the cooler jet fans around, I hope he has huge games against the jets, this way it will soften the blow. I mean, it is inevitable we sweep them so you might as well get something out of it right??? :P

For real, I think he will be a steal this season, its a contract year and he is in great shape. I think they will look to him in the passing game so in a PPR league it could be even more of a nice pick-up. I will be looking to get him in my league as we draft on Sunday.

I really see a 800-1000 yards on the ground, 400+ yards receiving, and possibly a passing TD or 2. So essentially for a 2nd or maybe 3rd back in some leagues, you get a 1500 all purpose yard guy and maybe more...IF he stays healthy, which I think he will.

Edit: I speculate 12 total TDs, but wouldn't be surprised with 8, nor with 15.

7. Pariah

Pariah Revolutionary

Nov 27, 2007
    Little Rhody
    With Ricky stealing carries I don't see him getting 1100 rushing yards, if you meant rushing only. I could easily see him getting 900 and Ricky getting 800. But again I wouldn't be surprised if they both got close to 1000, but I wouldn't bet on it.

And I absolutely love RB in a PPR league, which is why I will be going after him.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 5, 2009
    Ronnie Brown is OK fantasy wise, I think. It doesn't help that he's injury prone, has to share carries with Ricky, and the interior of our offensive line isn't a strong point. But, he should still help you out.

9. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I don't know that my draft will be indicative of yours. There were some odd picks. Mine was a 14 team league. I picked 11th in a snake draft and I got RB in the 5th round. When I mocked my draft on ESPN they had him going about the 48th pick, on average.

10. Phinatic425

Phinatic425 MIA State of Mind

Feb 19, 2010
    Upper Left Corner
    I also drafted him :knucks:

11. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    Ronnie Brown is a terrible pick, IMO. I've been burned so many times when I've drafted him.

He either explodes for big fantasy points or gets next to nothing. One of the biggest reasons why is Ricky Williams. Ricky is just as good of a goal line runner and gets pretty equal opportunities.

Ricky is actually a better FD pickup because he can be had in later rounds, will see adequate touches (especially in the red zone), and is more durable. He was the best FA wire pickup in the league last year I think.

12. Pariah

Pariah Revolutionary

Nov 27, 2007
    Little Rhody
    To say he is a terrible pick is a blanketed overstatement. Now if you pick him in the 1st few rounds I agree, its a bad pick. But if he is your 2nd or 3rd back (depending on number of players/people in the league) and you are already secure in other areas, somewhere in the 4th/5th/6th round he is by no means a "terrible" pick.

This exact statement could be said for a vast number of players that are rated much higher that RB on draft boards. Most teams use a 2 back system.

Ricky is another solid pick in later rounds, but I don't believe he holds the value Ronnie does, especially in a PPR league. Ronnie will have more receptions, and receiving yards, and will have his fair share of TDs. Most likely Ronnie will rush for more yards as well.

His durability is an issue obv, but then again, any fantasy pick is a risk. There is no doubt that multiple players from the first few rounds will get injured, so the risk for Ronnie could result in a major reward if he stays healthy, if not, then you lose a later pick.

In almost every league I have done (and I have been doing this since dial-up), the best teams are usually the ones who draft well in the later rounds, and/or made the best pickups during the season. Now granted picking smart the 1st few rounds is important, but I have seen many-a-team who had big names fail because they had no one to support the big names.

13. mommabilly

mommabilly No riders allowed

May 3, 2010
    He was gone when it was my turn in my draft so I had to settle on CJ Spiller.

14. JamesBW43

JamesBW43 Misanthrope

Aug 24, 2010
    FL
    Hard to say how Ronnie will do this year. Besides the obvious injury risk, the interior of the o-line is completely different from last year's.

15. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    Which fantasy leagues are you playing in? Ronnie is 3rd round (maybe early 4) RB in most leagues. And he is not worth it unless you can get him as late as you claim, which I've not seen. Maybe terrible isn't the right choice of word, but he's not a good pickup, period.

Yes, but most teams have a guy who consistently does goal line. Miami has two guys who do goal line, and they makes Ronnie and Ricky's situation much different. D-Williams and Jon Stewart are in the same boat, which is why they're not fantasy studs (especially Williams who is 1st round pick)

In a PPR league, Ronnie > Ricky. I'll give you that.
    Kind of a ridiculous statement. Obviously anyone can be hurt at any time, but some guys are more likely to be hurt than others, and Ronnie is one of those guys. And again, I'm not sure why you keep saying saying Ronnie is a great later pick. The guy is still being drafted very high. In a 12-14 team league, he's going in the later parts of round 3. That's way to high. If on the off chance he falls to 6 (in a 12-14 team league) then he's worth a shot if you only have 1 back.

16. Mafioso

Mafioso Air Force's #1 Phin Fan

Apr 7, 2010
    Anchorage, Alaska
    I actually missed him in both of my drafts, funny the jets fan got RB and i wound up with Greene, however i did get Henne and Marshall in both of my drafts!:hi5:

17. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    Ronnie's fantasy value is overblown by most right now. He went in 4th round in my 12 man league. In my 10 man league, I got him in the 7th round. Now that's a steal, and to be honest is probably where he should be picked.

Ophinerated likes this.
  18. DePhinistr8

DePhinistr8 Season Ticket Holder

Mar 24, 2008
    In my 8 man league I got him in the 10th round (73rd pick overall). I thought that was an absolute steal.

He was the no.1 fantasy back in the league last year before the broken foot.

Also, the 8 team league I'm in starts 2 QB's...so I picked up Henne in the 7th round. I have a hard time believing that he won't throw for at least 3400 yards and 18~25 TDs, which is fine for our 2nd QB's.

He basically played a 1/2 against SD, and 1/2 against Pitt...so that's 12 games (stats-wise). So he averaged 239 yards per game as a first year starter w/o his no.1 running back and a receiver allergic to catching passes. Project that to 16 games and it's 3824 yards. Not too shabby.

Now he has a monster receiver, healthy running game, and receivers that compliment his monster receiver nicely. The red-zone is no longer a run-only area for us.

19. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    i drafted ladanian tomlison as my flex/bench rb behind ryan grant and jonathan stewart........

20. PhinishLine

PhinishLine Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Maryland
    Ronnie is a 10 game rental with an option to buy. That option to buy is Ricky Williams. I had Ronnie last year....then he went down. I didn't have Ricky. I juggled RB FA every week based on matchups. I limped to to championship only to win it and further impose my fantasy football dominance in my league! Real managers are made after the draft!

Anonymous likes this.
  21. Gitrdone

Gitrdone New Member

May 22, 2009
    Canada EH!
    I was reading in a fantasy draft book that he was a top 5 fantasy RB till he went down with injury. So basically, if he actually stays healthy, you will do well to have him. But if not, some might reach based on that potential.

22. Ophinerated

Ophinerated Preposterous!

Apr 1, 2008
    During my live draft on the 30th for my nfl.com league(10 team), I was able to get Ronnie in the 7th. I couldn't believe it when I looked and he was still there. :pity:

finyank13 and rafael like this.
  23. Section126

Section126 We are better than you. Luxury Box

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    If you are not looking at Ronnie Brown around round 4 or 5...then you are a dumbass.

Check his career fantasy numbers. he scores TD's. he catches the ball well for you PPR guys.

His average finish in PPG for RB's in fantasy since being a rookie is 7th. he has made the top 5 twice. he was #1 once.

In other words, he is a helluva fantasy option.

This is also a year he DOESN'T get hurt. he gets season ending injuries in odd numbered years.

24. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    I got Ronnie in the 4th round.

His fantasy PPG is ridiculously good. Only question is whether he can stay on the field. I would have to wager that he does this year. He could follow the same career path as Fred Taylor.

25. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010

If RB stays healthy he will go off this year....especially in PPR leagues...

and there is a section in this site dubbed "Fantasy Football"....:lol:

26. The Aqua Crush

The Aqua Crush New Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Calgary Alberta Canada
    I have both R&R. I went heavy pass/wr early then took late rb's. Got them both in 7-8 rounds of a 10 team league.

I think they will both have great years, especially with the spread d and blocking marshall brings to the table.

I think our backs will both have very solid fantasy years.

27. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    I took Ronnie in the 3rd round, along with Harrison from Cleveland, Ryan Matthews in SD and

28. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

However long he will play, he will play well. I suggest stashing Ricky on the bench though.

29. Vendigo

Vendigo German Gigolo Club Member

Nov 30, 2007
    That's an urban legend - at least with the current coaching staff. In 2008, Brown had 33 receptions, no TD. In 2009, he had 14 receptions, no TD, and averaged 1.4 receptions a game before he was hurt. That's hardly the stuff PPR dreams are made of.

30. Vendigo

Nov 30, 2007
    In our PPR league, I'm inclined to draft Williams ahead of Brown actually.

31. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    to get RB in the 4th or 5th round, hell even in the 3rd.....and he does what he does....thats value....even if he does get 33 receptions...

Pariah likes this.
  32. Vendigo

Nov 30, 2007
    Totally depends on the scoring in your PPR league. Usually, WRs are way more valuable than Brown at that position.

33. Pariah

Pariah Revolutionary

Nov 27, 2007
    Little Rhody
    I believe I covered the fact that he would be good from round 4 on and I did say depending on the structure of the league. And as people have stated here, they have picked him later in drafts, so it does happen.

Obviously the late 3rd round/early 4th round in a 12-14 person league is pick 42-56. In a 10 person league that is the 4th-5th round, and if you can get Ronnie in the 5th Round that is a pretty solid pick imo. But the difference is in the 10 person league at pick 50 on, you would/should already have 1-2 HB Studs, Stud QB, and 1-2 Stud WRs/TEs. Again, Ronnie there is a very nice pick. Would stand as a plug-in play in cases and if he gets injured its not a huge loss. fantasy wise he can be beastly, IF he stays healthy.

Do I agree he gets injured more frequently than MJD for example, sure...Butthat is why I am not pushing him as a 2nd or 3rd round pick. If he stayed healthy he would be a top 10 pick. I am not sure you read my post correctly.

finyank13 likes this.
  34. surferosa

surferosa Balance and Vision

Mar 23, 2008
    From a fantasy perspective, Ronnie's very undervalued this year IMO. As the engine to the wildcat, you know hes going to be featured a lot. Last year, in 9 games, Ronnie had 750 yards from scrimmage and 8 TD's. Over a full season, that comes to 1300-1400 yards and 14 TD's. Thats tremendous output from a #2 RB that can be had in the 4th round.

OF course noone knows if hes going to stay healthy, and that knocks him down a bit. That said, I can see him easily surpassing 1000 yards rushing and 10 TD's which is great value relative to his draft position.

I'm targeting him in my leagues.

finyank13 and Pariah like this.
  35. Pariah

Pariah Revolutionary

Nov 27, 2007
    Little Rhody
    But unless you are talking a Percy Harvin style WR, the HB will also get the rushing yards.

I love HBs in the WR/RB slot in PPR leagues. May not get the same value in PPR, but in many cases will make up for it in rushing yards.

finyank13 likes this.
  36. Pariah

Pariah Revolutionary

Nov 27, 2007
    Little Rhody
    But that was in an offense without B.M. He could really flourish in the passing game this season. A risk? Yes, but I like risks in round 4-5...

finyank13 likes this.
  37. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    Obviously RB isnt a WT, but as far as RB's go....RB is one of the better options in a PPR league...

38. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    especially later in the season in cold weather games...ie...your playoff games...

39. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    This....thats why he can easily be had in the 4th 5th round, especially up here in Pats land with all the Dolphins haters...:up:

40. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I drafted Brown in the 5th round of my 14 team league. He is my third back behind Gore and Foster. His average draft position (ADP) according to ESPN in the thousands of mock drafts they've done was 47.9 at the time of my draft. That means that in a 12 team league he goes early in the 4th and in a 10 team league he goes late in the 4th, on average. If you haven't seen him go later than the 3rd or maybe early 4th, then you haven't seen many drafts.

Section126 and Pariah like this.