1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I blame Brandon Marshall

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by LikeUntoGod, Oct 18, 2011.

1. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    I'm not sure how you can say he's a disappointment to everyone. You do not know the expectations each person had for Marshall.

2. NJFINSFAN1

NJFINSFAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    I don't think he is top 10 at all.

Welker, Jennings, C. Johnson, Fitzgerald, Smith, DeSean Jackson, White, Wallace, A. Johnson, Nicks and I think you can argue Bowe, Maclin, Nelson, AJ Green, V. Jackson could be better right now.

Again, I don't want to get rid of Marshall, but he has been a disappointment.

3. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    I'm sure there is not a single Dolphin fan anywhere that had low enough expectations of Marshall to be happy with 3 TD's last season and 1 TD so far this season.
    I don't believe that at all.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 5, 2009
    I wouldn't take Welker, Smith, Jackson, or Nicks over him.

5. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    With all due respect, there are fans that don't look at TDs as a function of the WR solely. Some look at TDs as a function of team success.

Personally, I look at a WRs yards-per-target and catch-rate before anything else. Marshall's numbers for those categories has been consistent with where he was before coming to Miami. To me, he hasn't really changed much as a player since arriving in Miami.

6. Vendigo

Vendigo German Gigolo Club Member

Nov 30, 2007
    Brandon Marshall has played pretty much the way I thought he would play. Sometimes it's the expectations that are the issue, not the actual performance.

7. Anonymous

Jul 5, 2009
    His drops are worrisome, though.

8. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    You mean when your expectations are for your #1 WR to make plays and score TD's.
    Yeah that is way too much to ask.
    He has played the way you thought he would play..... WOW. :lol:

9. Anonymous

Jul 5, 2009
    Amen to that!

10. Vendigo

Nov 30, 2007
    To me, they aren't. Some receivers drop balls because they don't have soft hands. These are worrisome because you can't teach soft hands, not at the pro level. Other receivers drop balls because their team stinks and they simply can't build up the sort of tension and concentration required. These aren't worrisome because I'm usually not looking to build a team that stinks. Most fans usually hate the latter category; I don't because I don't worry about symptoms. I worry about reasons.

11. Vendigo

Nov 30, 2007
    So when you said that there was no Dolphins fan who expected Marshall to play the way he has, what you really meant was that there was no Dolphins fan who expected Marshall to play the way you didn't expect. Got it.

12. NJFINSFAN1

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    You wouldn't take Steve Smith??????? Nicks is better, say what you want about Welker, he catches everything (but he is a slot guy). Jackson I would say is equal right now.

13. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    Dude that is a pass and you know it....
    You are letting him off the hook. He has always dropped balls and it is a liability. Besides that BM is not a big playmaker. I had to laugh yesterday when he was quoted as saying he has never ever been able to get behing Champ Bailey. Another glaring limitation but this one he admits. :up:

14. bakedmatt

bakedmatt Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Hah, that's incredible!

15. Anonymous

Jul 5, 2009
    No, I wouldn't. Smith is a perfect example of why you can't give up on Marshall. He was in the same situation as Marshall is in now. Hell, he was in a worse situation. He wasn't as productive and he was older. But enter Cam Newton and now he's a top ten receiver again.

You give me Marshall over any of those guys. Just wait until he gets a legit QB to play with.

16. Vendigo

Nov 30, 2007
    I'm not his teacher, so I don't hand out pass or fail grades. I'm simply not surprised at all that Brandon Marshall underperforms on a team I consider mediocre at best. Players like Brandon Marshall usually underperform on these type of teams. If anyone expected him to come here and produce All Pro numbers with the kind of offense and talent we have, then expectations are the issue, not Marshall. I don't buy a cat when I'm looking for something that can bark.

17. Anonymous

Jul 5, 2009
    He is a play maker.

18. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    We have 3 10 million plus dollar players on the roster:

Marshall
    Soliai
    Dansby

None of which are making impacting plays.

19. Vendigo

Nov 30, 2007
    Marshall is going to make impact plays once you solve the QB situation and install an actual offense instead of a string of plays. Dansby is going to make impact plays once you pair him up with an ILB that compliments his strengths and weaknesses rather than with a clone who's one step below him talent-wise. Soliai is going to make impact plays again once you take away his money.

20. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    If Marshall catches just two of those TD's he dropped he would have tripled your production expectations.
    If he catches all five TD's in your eyes he would have been a serious overachiever.
    There is something very wrong with that. :shifty:

21. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Then they are not worth the money Vendi, if a guy is being in the top 5 in the league, they elevate the unit, the unit does not elevate them.

22. NJFINSFAN1

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    I would take Smith in a heartbeat over Marshall, no questions asked.

23. Section126

Section126 We are better than you. Luxury Box

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    this isn't fantasy football. You are being a prisoner of the moment. Steve Smith was on everybody's cheap cut pickup list last offseason. Now he is on your magical great WR list. The only guys that are actually better than Marshall on your list are: Fitzgerald, A. Johnson, C. Johnson, and maybe Jennings. Interesting that a guy that has been worse than Marshall (R. White) gets a pass, because his team is actually competent.

What is gonna happen if the hate brigade get their way is that you will see yet another player leave miami and become a superstar elsewhere. You CANNOT find Marshall's combination of skill and size at his position easily. You can only trade for it or pay a ton for it in Free Agency.

Of course..some here want to just CUT HIM! Just LOL.

Anonymous, Sceeto and Ozzy like this.
  24. NJFINSFAN1

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    You should try reading the post next time first. I said you could argue Roddy White, Jennings is so far better than Marshall as is Steve Smith. And I'm not a Marshall hater, I never said we should get rid of him, but I have said he has been a disappointment. And I also don't think he is a top 10.

Now you can get back to your soapbox!

25. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    I got a great idea....

When Atlanta Cuts Roddy White because he sucks now and the Jets cut Santonio Holmes because he sucks now as well and the Colts cut Reggie Wayne because you know..he sucks too...

We Cut Marshall..but pickup all three for Andrew Luck to throw too.

SUPER BOWL!

Anonymous, Aqua4Ever04 and Clark Kent like this.
  26. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    "So far"?

no.

as in THIS SEASON? nope. Roddy White has not been better. He has been dreadful.

27. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Today certainly, but would you have done it 2 years ago though, or even at the start of this season? I find it hard to believe that most people would say yes.

I think the problem with Killer is that he issues a blanket statement - Marshall is not a playmaker and never will be. That is just flat out incorrect. I don't know if he honestly believes that or (as is more likely) he is just trying to rile people up. He has been a playmaker, and still does make some plays as our lamented friend Jason Allen can say.

Unfortunately, at this point in time Marshall is also showing a propensity to drop passes that can have an impact on the game, and while he still does make big plays, they are fewer and have less overall impact on our season, and are punctuated by missed opportunity. He has, in essence, become a microcosm of the team as a whole, exhibiting a lack of focus and determination for consistent periods of time.

What is interesting is that he is not the first receiver to see this kind of slump happen. Steve Smith is a perfect example. Randy Moss would be another.

With Smith, he was a dominating wideout for years, then as you saw Delhomme and the team as a whole crash, all of a sudden he was looked at as a washed up guy, someone they needed to trade to get what they could out of him even though they have no other decent wideout on the team. Cam Newton is drafted, and all of a sudden, Steve Smith is having a great year again.

Similarly, Moss went to the Raiders, slumped, went to a team with a real QB and exploded.

This is why for someone like Killer to believe that Marshall does not stand a good chance of improvement with better QB play is silly. It happens.

I won't argue that Marshall is playing well, or playing up to his contract (who on Miami is?), but to cut him, trade him for a low round pick or suggest he has no value going forward is just asinine. Either he is deluded, Marshall has killed someone dear to him or he is just a common message board troll.

dolfan32323 and Anonymous like this.
  28. Rouk

Rouk Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Hollywood, Florida
    If we were a high scoring offense and Marshall was putting up no td numbers I would blame him but at the moment no one on our team can score and our offense is so predictable its impossible to get any player going.

29. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    Seriously..... There isn't a problem with the way I am thinking because other than a few of his player fans most people seem to believe Marshall was looking for his pay day and now that he got it oh well.
    Of the other WR's mentioned how many have been diagnosed as a head case?
    Before you go taking shots at me you need to remember that this is a board where opinions on players is welcome and it is why we are here. Negative or not they are within the rules.
    You aren't here to discuss me personally which is what you did in your last comment. You need to keep those sorts of things to yourself.
    I don't sit here and analyze why you feel the way you do . That is not the point of a message board. If you want to debate my points about how I think Brandon Marshall is a fraud then that is fine.
    But to ask a rhetorical question about if I'm deluded, been wronged by Marshall or just a troll is crossing the line.
    I don't troll this board ever..... I give honest opinions and shoot straight. If you can't handle it ignore me.

djphinfan likes this.
  30. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I don't think your last paragraph is fair at all...Not speaking for him but I think his criticism comes from what is relatively fair considering how much he gets paid, and how he was perceived when he arrived...some folks base their level of criticism on those things, and I think thats what Killer does in Marshalls case..He is underperforming relative to the contract and perceived status, by more than a little.

Killerphins likes this.
  31. Anonymous

Jul 5, 2009
    It is fair. Killer swears up and down on the bible that Marshall is a mediocre football player and will never live up to his Bronco status. He also takes shots at him every chance he gets. It's obvious he has something against Marshall.

32. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    I critique Marshall then people take shots at me. That isn't how it is supposed to go here.
    My negative opinion of a player is allowed per the TOS. Negative opinions toward me are not.
    I take shots at players when they are underperforming then that players fans take shots at me .... Get it?

33. Ozzy

Ozzy Premium Member Luxury Box

What you do is attack us as a group by calling us silly *** names. You seem to be up on the TOS so I'm guessing you think you're slick by saying bull**** like that...

texanphinatic likes this.
  34. Styla

Styla #1 Davone Bess Fan!!!

Apr 1, 2008
    Chillaxin' in So.Cal
    So if newly acquired J.P. Losman throws 3 td passes to B.Marshall Sunday vs. the Giants, does Killer stay quiet for a week or how does that work......:shifty:

Dolfan4Life likes this.
  35. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    Not only will I shut up but I'll sweeten the pot.
    If Marshall scores three TD's in a game I'll let the people choose the Brandon Marshall avy I'll wear for the rest of the season. :pointlol:

It has to be a Marshall though.... No rainbow flag or hello kitty or any of that lame stuff.

Deal? :wink2:

36. Anonymous

Jul 5, 2009
    You call us player fans and take shots at us too...

Ozzy likes this.
  37. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    Point taken...........

38. Anonymous

Jul 5, 2009
    Not sure what that point is but OK.

39. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Heck, you should do the Marshall avy, even for 2 TDs in a game, since he has never done that before for us either.