1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hypothetical Business Proposition.

Discussion in 'Questions and Answers' started by TiP54, Apr 12, 2011.

1. TiP54

TiP54 Bad Reputation

Nov 25, 2007
    Live from the Internet.
    This is nothing but an idea, really. A very raw idea at that. After catching myself watching a movie, that I wasn't really watching, rather just watching the actress, and not a single thing that was going on around her. It got me thinking...why not create a website where there would be cutups of movie stars, in their movies of just scenes that envolve them. First thing that comes to mind is creepy, of course. But seriously. There are hundreds of thousands of fans around the world of movie stars, wether it Scarlett Johanson, Tom Cruise, Brad, Angelina...whatever. Create cutups of their movies with just them. Charge a hypothetical amount of $ in order to support the site and put a bit in the pocket? No?
    The obvious hurdle here will be the copyright infragment. But there are thousands of websites where you can watch any movie you want, right there right now. My legal knowledge is basically non existent. Is this possible, even in a purely hypothetical way?

2. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Possible. But you would have to make it worth while to the copyright owners, who must give you permission to use their material.

3. TiP54

TiP54 Bad Reputation

Nov 25, 2007
    Live from the Internet.
    Is there a way of doing t without it? There are thousand of sites that have those very movies free to watch and or download that operate well.

4. Tone_E

Tone_E Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    As soon as you profit from it, it becomes illegal unless you have the appropriate rights to the clips.

5. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    You don't even have to profit from it for it to become illegal. I would recommend finding a different get rich scheme, personally.

6. TiP54

TiP54 Bad Reputation

Nov 25, 2007
    Live from the Internet.
    Its not a get rich scheme at all (winning the lottery is, duh) it just something thout sounded good at 330am
    (Yes, I know it's 330 am as I type this) but theoretically, what happenes if a site such as that was set up.

7. GridIronKing34

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Well first off, it will require a lot of server space along with hard drive space... not to mention time it will take splicing those videos together... especially if you're not very experienced. Exporting time... you'll have to store those videos somewhere for archive purposes... possibly codec issues...

Getting the rights will be expensive too and honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if you didn't get through to many production companies... if you do get in touch with them, good luck getting them to take you seriously...

Sorry, man... I just don't think it's worth your effort.

8. MarinePhinFan

MarinePhinFan Banned

Oct 11, 2010
    Ummmmm.... I think that kind of a website already exists.

9. GridIronKing34

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    If you say YouTube, then you're wrong.