1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hyde's retake on Ryan contract.

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by djphinfan, Feb 15, 2015.

1. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/...hins-ryan-tannehill-0215-20150214-column.html

Makes some good points.

ASOT, sports24/7 and Unlucky 13 like this.
  2. Tannephins

Tannephins Banned

Dec 23, 2014
    And I'd say those two things are connected, because the team needs to believe its QB can win a shootout with the other top QBs in the league in games in which that's what it comes down to.

3. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I found the quote at the end where Hyde says the players are saying two different things privately and publicly to be a little frustrating, he came back with this article after he threw out those numbers last week, has he heard some discontent that Ryan is gonna get paid that much without necessarily proving to be worth it and p,ayers are mumbling.

4. Tannephins

Tannephins Banned

Dec 23, 2014
    They must not be considering the value of the contract. He's worth it.

5. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    His 4th quarter comebacks would be fine if his defense did their jobs in at least 3 games this past year. (Incidentally, that would have put us in the playoffs and having beaten teams like Denver & GB.) But yeah, Tannehill is to blame.

EverFin, Mexphin, SICK and 9 others like this.
  6. 77FinFan

77FinFan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    I agree with the 4th quarter D ,but it does not impact his 4th quarter qbr numbers. That does need to improve

7. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Those are blanket statements, the offense had ops to close deals as well.

8. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    I think Hyde brings up some very valid concerns regarding Tannehill. While Tannehill has certainly shown improvement in his first three years in the league, I just keep wondering if his teammates have as much faith in him as some of his supporters on this forum have in him.

I do not understand the need to sign Tannehill to a new contract at this time. While it certainly isn't just the fault of Tannehill, the fact remains that after three years as the starting QB for the Dolphins, the team has a sub 500 record over that time period and not a single winning season.

The Dolphins already have Tannehill under contract for this coming season and they have the option to keep him for the 2016 season at a cost of $15 million. That is the same amount of money that has been reported he would earn in 2016 under the contract the Dolphins have offered him to sign a new contract.

To me, it would be wiser to pick up the option for 2016 and see how he develops this coming season. If the Dolphins once again fail to make the playoffs or have another season where they fail to win at least 9 games, Philbin and the rest of the coaching staff won't be around after next season. It is also likely that another season like the last three years will also lead to the firing of Hickey.

If Tannehill has a great season next year and the Dolphins make the playoffs, they can always sign him to a new contract after the 2015 season. Even if it cost them more by waiting. If Tannehill shows next year that he can be the long term answer for the Dolphins at the QB position, the extra money it will take to sign him would be worth it.

If on the otherhand the Dolphins don't make the playoffs and Tannehill doesn't continue to improve, the new HC and GM will have the option as to whether they want Tannehill as their long term QB. There is still plenty of time over the next couple of years to determine the future of Tannehill in Miami.

The desire to sign a QB who still has a lot to prove, to a big money contract before they have to, just doesn't make sense to me.

gunn34 likes this.
  9. Tannephins

Tannephins Banned

Dec 23, 2014
    Unless the defense is among the best in the league, it isn't likely to "do its job" against teams such as Denver and Green Bay, which have among the best offenses in the league, and so to win with any regularity against teams such as those, the Dolphins are going to need to win the shootout at the QB position.

You can't bank on the unlikely prospect of defeating the best teams in the league by having one of the very best defenses in the league. The player you have at the position from which points are scored primarily in the league -- QB -- is going to have to outduel the best QBs in the league on a regular basis. Not always, but regularly.

Notice that the top four playoff seeds in the league this year (Seattle, Green Bay, Denver, New England), and the only team to surpass one of them in the playoffs -- Indy (over Denver) -- had such QBs.

10. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    He's the best Qb we've had in almost 2 decades. Like the article states, he's a good-very good QB that hasn't hit his ceiling yet. The odds of finding ANY QB that can even play at his current level are pretty slim. I'd rather not take that chance. We can win with RT.

EverFin, Taco Bob, ASOT and 5 others like this.
  11. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    Basically....Fin D is the king of excuses.

ASOT likes this.
  12. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    shall we start the list of what you're king of?

Rocky Raccoon and Unlucky 13 like this.
  13. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Hyde did a great job in the piece laying out the choices and not force feeding his opinion on anyone. At different points in the column he makes each choice sound like the one he's setting up to be the smartest, most obvious choice. That's a good job laying it out.

Dave and I talked this over a few days ago and I think he's come to my way of thinking that you should engage delay tactics so that when it comes time to make a choice, you have as much information as you need. Basically the Flacco route. I think some of our discussions are what prompted this. He had already created a blog post with the information he got hold of about the numbers being discussed for Tannehill. What he needed to do now was really put it together into a Sunday opinion column.

djphinfan likes this.
  14. 54Fins

54Fins "In Gase we trust"

Nov 29, 2007
    over there
    Yeah, and I remember Omar saying if Tanny hits a 85.0 QBR this season we will make the playoffs. That man shuts his mouth and hides when you call him out for it though...:lol:

As for Hyde, I always enjoy reading his stuff...:up:

15. I agree with jw that its premature to offer him an extension but whats done is done. I would of kept the extension dangling in front of him as his carrot to help motivate him to break last years ceiling. I assume they felt assuring him of their confidence in him was more important.

16. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    No.

We aren't talking about just wins. We are talking about 4th Q comebacks. Tannehill did enough in the 4th quarter to win games. He sat down with the lead and the defense dropped the ball. All a QB can do to have a 4th Q comeback is sit down with the lead.

Aqua4Ever04 likes this.
  17. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    But I talked bad about a part of the team, you should agreeing with me, while furiously masturbating because someone said something negative about the team.

18. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Its official.

Welcome back Shouright.

Taco Bob, SwampChomp and Piston Honda like this.
  19. Piston Honda

Piston Honda Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2014
    Lol you're so late, it's been official for weeks.

20. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I feel the same way. RT isn't a 10 and he's not likely to become one, but he's a 6-7 and is trending upwards. If his ceiling is an 8 (and I think that sounds right), then that's good enough to win with with the right coach, it's better than most of the league has, is better than we're likely to find again in the near future, and to top it off, he comes across as a player with absolutely no character or intelligence concerns.

When you spend your life waiting for the next Marino and not accepting anything less, you're going to grow old and very disappointed before you get it.

21. Piston Honda

Piston Honda Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2014
    Whether Tannehill is extended today or a year from now, as long as he's a Dolphin I'm good.

22. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    I think the option year will cost at least 15 million against the cap. A new deal would allow the team some relief from that, and it likely plays a large role in their thinking.

LI phinfan and 77FinFan like this.
  23. shamegame13

shamegame13 Madison & Surtain

Dec 15, 2014
    I agree with you on this area but in case you havent heard, all the sacks are the OL's fault...

24. jcliving

jcliving Active Member

Aug 19, 2014
    I agree he did a fantastic job laying out the options. Further, I agree that the two year approach is a careful and good approach. I prefer the long term contract. The commitment to build around Tannehill clarifies other decisions. It allows the front office and the coaching staff to building the team around him. The long term approach has more risk, but this franchise needs to focus on a plan and execute. The franchise needs to give itself a chance to succeed.

77FinFan likes this.
  25. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Literally no one has ever said this.

Hiruma78 likes this.
  26. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    do agree that he is the best qb we've had in two decades..

27. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    that qbs statement doesn't paint a full picture, stats can be misleading sometimes, critical plays in critical situations are real as well and important to the outcome of the game.

28. shamegame13

Dec 15, 2014
    Dont forget about Andrew Luck, his OL this year might of been the worse out of the whole bunch. He overcame it and got to AFCCG.

29. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    and we lost games, and we lost games when the offense couldn't sustain a drive..we lost games all kinds of ways..

shamegame13 likes this.
  30. shamegame13

Dec 15, 2014
    It is heavily implyed by many posters.

31. shamegame13

Dec 15, 2014
    I know RT17 is the best QB we have had since Marino but it's still ok to criticize his weaknesses. Maybe its just me, but I have always been a "strive for greatness, dont settle for mediocrity" type person.

djphinfan likes this.
  32. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    A new deal is apparently going to cost the Dolphin $15 million a year anyway, so what's the real difference here?

They let him play out the next two years and he makes like $16 million, an $8 million per year average. And if he proves himself during that span, he's got nothing to worry about. He'll get that new contract just like Flacco got his.

33. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    There's a lot of grey area between mediocre and the HOF. RT was mediocre his rookie year, but he's above average now, and he's clearly trending upwards with room to grow.

34. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007

anyone wanna argue this point about Luck or wilson and their olines, were they not sieves too?, what the stats show on those lines relative to ours, pressure wise?

35. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    the difference is almost negligible..maybe a few mill.

36. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I dont necessarily need great, I just have to feel confident about a certain level of play in certain situation consistently.

of course the debate is about patience and projection considering the variables he's dealt with since entering..some can imagine what the game would look like if all the variables around ryan would improve..Im looking at him in isolation and having a tough time seeing championship caliber...i KNOW i can make the playoffs with better units around him..its about multiple championships.

37. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    And?????

What QB doesn't leave plays on the field Deej?

Jesus this is getting insane. Tannehill isn't perfect....no effing QB is. All of them leave plays on the field. All of them need other facets of the team to bail them out. Every last one. Wilson had horrible games this year. Brady had horrible games this year. Luck had horrible games this year. Rodgers had horrible games this year. The difference is those guys benefitted from other parts of the team stepping up.

This fanbase is effing ludicrous.

resnor likes this.
  38. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007

WADR, BS.

You say that, but then you nitpick 17 to death and hold him to standards you hold no other QB to. According to you and all the others, Tannehill has to be perfect. Do you guys say he needs to be perfect? No, you just decree that he won't be much until he fixes every flaw he has (and others he doesn't). That is expecting perfection.

39. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Difference between what

40. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I think part of this movement to lock Tannehill up with a big contract is about wishful thinking, to be honest. Having a "franchise" quarterback locked up on a long term contract will make people feel good about the team. You're declaring mission accomplished and putting the banner up over the aircraft carrier. We're done here, so you guys don't need to worry about this position anymore. All because of the contract and not because of the quarterback's actual play on the football field.

But the reality is you've got cases all the time where a team declares a guy to be a franchise player with that huge contract, and then not far into it they find themselves kinda sorta wishing that weren't the case. Look what's happening in San Francisco with Colin Kaepernick. Look what's happening in Cincinnati with Andy Dalton. Look what's happening in Chicago with Jay Cutler.

I don't have a problem with paying a true franchise quarterback at the full level franchise quarterback level. You look at teams out there that have those guys and they're paying them around what they should be paying them, Steelers with Big Ben, Baltimore with Flacco, Dallas with Romo, New England with Brady, Denver with Peyton, Green Bay with Rodgers, New Orleans with Brees, New York with Eli, San Diego with Rivers...some of these teams may go through a hiccup because of some bad personnel choices, but most of them win a lot of games every year and even when one or two of those teams do have some problems I'm not sure you can really source those problems in paying too much for the quarterback play they're getting.

I just think people don't WANT to imagine the possibility that two years from now we're sitting around and thinking, man this Tannehill guy just can't get over the hump. He's good but he's not a franchise player. Sort of like people are saying about Kaep, Dalton, Cutler, Alex Smith, like they said about Schaub in Houston.

I mean a year ago Sam Bradford had a passer rating in the low 90's in St. Louis. Arguably with a much worse surrounding cast than Tannehill had this year. One year later everyone in the league is expecting them to part ways with Bradford and go looking for a new passer. We just don't want to think about that possibility because it's unpleasant, and so we hope if he give up that franchise QB contract we'll never have to think about it.

I say delay. Avoid the commitment as long as you can because too many things can happen year to year that COMPLETELY change your mindset. If he's the right guy then two years from now we will know that, and we will get him signed and keep him a Miami Dolphin for a long time. But we could also be staring at a situation two years from now where we're saying...I don't think he's the right guy.