1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hyde5: Dolphins attendance drop worst in NFL

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by jinx, Nov 28, 2012.

1. jinx

jinx Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2010
    http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/...ce-drop-worst-in-nfl-20121128,0,4691387.story

2. Bumrush

Bumrush Stable Genius Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Doesn't matter which side of the fence you stand on, if I'm Ross and the Fins flame out these last 5 weeks, Ireland needs to be fired.

This team is hemorrhaging fans and needs to do something drastic to bring back the fans. Pathetic numbers.

oakelmpine, padre31 and Aquafin like this.
  3. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    You don't run a business by listening to the rabble. At least not all the way.

4. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    How does firing the GM help ticket sales?

FinNasty and CD13 like this.
  5. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    More than the team, more than the record, more than the players, more than Ireland, more than Ross, more than the media, the real problem is Miami and its economy.

Link

People are broke and out of work. It costs a couple hundred dollars for a few hours of entertainment when there are infinitely cheaper things to do, like go to the beach for example.

oakelmpine and mnfinfan like this.
  6. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Miami Dolphins are in the rare position of having the GM being the #1 complaint amongst it's fan base. Put aside your personal opinion of whether that's fair or not. When you retain the biggest complaint of a fan base, and things do not improve, attendance drops. It's a pretty simple formula. Firing the GM will have a marginal increase in attendance. But in the end, only winning will improve attendance to where it needs to be. So, if Stephen Ross retains Jeff Ireland he better be pretty damn sure retaining him will lead to more wins. If not, Ireland is out the door. The bean counters will tell Stephen Ross a story that will make it hard to retain Ireland if this season doesn't end better than last.

oakelmpine, Aquafin and djphinfan like this.
  7. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    The reality IMO is that you're selling amenities that don't appeal to high-end clients, while trying to charge prices that match high-end amenities. The people that can afford spend $700+ per person for a day's worth of entertainment aren't going to do that at Sun Life Stadium.

Stitches likes this.
  8. Fineas

Fineas Club Member Luxury Box

Jan 5, 2008
    I really don't think it that. The unemployment rate is only about 2-3% higher than the norm and those 2-3 people out of every hundred probably weren't the people going to the games. In fact, if you look at the jobs chart on that link, there are actually more jobs than there were in 2004. Unemployment is up because there are more people overall, but there are more employed people now than in 2004. Most people are making the same or more than they were 2, 4 or 6 years ago. People are still spending plenty on sports and entertainment. Look at what Heat and concert tickets go for. And attendance isn't really down in places with winning teams.

Ozzy likes this.
  9. Aquafin

Aquafin New Member

Jun 16, 2011
    the poor house
    let me ask you this , how much of this is contributed to not having a a premire wr or even two wide receivers ? i would not pay my hard earn money to go see Bess and Hartline. nor Fasano or Bush . remember when we had Irving Fryar , Dan and the Marks brothers, now that was worth the money .:pity:

10. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Yep, a part of that was drone ball, the other part is a lack of wins.

Fans are far more interested in high scoring/lots of action then a 19-14 loss or even win.

Though it is always preferrable to win, but when you win and you are still boring..

11. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    Just for the sake of context, here are average home #'s for some teams:

Kansas City: 70,378

Jacksonville: 63,765

Buffalo: 69,510

Tennessee: 69,143

Miami: 55,758

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 5, 2009
    Only Tampa Bay averages less than Miami.

13. Fineas

Fineas Club Member Luxury Box

Jan 5, 2008
    I agree with the premise, but there aren't many (if any) $700 seats at Sun Life. Many of the empty seats are $40 (or less) and those tickets really haven't gone up in price much at all over the years. While there are certainly people who can't afford that, there are a lot who can, but simply choose not to. And it's not that they just do free things. They still probably spend the same as they always have on entertainment, but they just choose to spend it on something other than the Dolphins.

djphinfan likes this.
  14. jinx

jinx Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2010
    Wow.

15. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    The fact that Jacksonville is averaging better attendance should scare the absolute **** out of any Miami Dolphin fan.

16. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    Right, but what kind of atmosphere are people in Miami looking for? Half the people I know going to Heat games only go because they feel its a place to see and be seen. Sun Life Stadium needs to provide that if they want to attract casual fans. Thats the reality of South Florida.

17. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Recall the Orange Carpet and Club Liv that "real" football fans despised?

Uhm, yeah, Ross knew what he was doing, but that is gone now, or at least not emphasized.

18. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    I think Ireland needs to be fired, but I'm not sure doing so will automatically give the attendance a boost. Ultimately, it's about winning. Stadium upgrades would be nice, but as the Marlins found out, you need a winning product to keep fans coming back.

oakelmpine and gafinfan like this.
  19. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

how much ARE season's tickets, by the way? And I guess there is no wait list, huh?

20. Bpk

Well, what's concerning is that usually a new QB spells hope and gets people behin a team.

BUT this team has lost, and disappointed for so many years that fans have even lost faith in REBuILDING.

21. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Unemployment or not, the economy is bad and people aren't going to spend all that money for tickets right now.

And Heat numbers don't prove the point, because the arena holds 20K. The Dolphins bring in more than 20K a game.

22. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    That is exactly the type of crowd that they need to attract.

The Club Liv thing was poorly executed. Operating the club during the game was a dumb idea. It certainly would be a good idea IMO to operate the club before the game and after the game though. Thats only one aspect of it though. They need to a lot more than that to attract the high-end consumer.

23. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    When Jacksonville and KC are pulling in 15K more fans per game; and when Oakland is pulling more fans; there is a lot more to it than just winning or losing.

Winning games certainly would help. But even if this team is winning, I don't think you're going to see a big affect. The people in South Florida that actually care about winning 11 games as opposed to winning 8 are few and far between.

Bpk and unluckyluciano like this.
  24. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    This.

Also, as excited as people were that they drafted a QB high in Round 1, Tannehill kinda felt like a consolation prize. Like Andrew Luck and RG3 were the Showcases, but we underbid and were left with a Vespa we won from Plinko.

Guarantee you if we had drafted either of those two guys, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

25. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    The Washington Redskins averaged 77k fans for home games last year, with Rex Grossman and John Beck as their QBs. With RG3, they average 78k fans per home game.

Bpk and unluckyluciano like this.
  26. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    I think in this more market, moreso than in others, winning does have that big of an effect. Maybe even moreso than winning, it's Star Power. Marino, Wade, LeBron. Stars. Who's the biggest star on the Dolphins right now? Cam Wake? Would you pay just to see him?

oakelmpine likes this.
  27. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    See above.

28. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Dual strategy, high end and lower end customers imo.

Filling club liv is not going to really help the thousands of empty seats, that is more of a winning and losing problem.

29. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Reggie Bush, but of course, he probably won't be back.

Bpk likes this.
  30. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    I thought about Reggie. I guess you could say he's the biggest star. But I agree he's gone after this year.

Bpk likes this.
  31. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Fixed that for you.

It's not the fans who have to worry about low attendance. It's the people running the team.

Jeff Ireland should be wearing asbestos underwear.

32. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    How much revenue exactly is lost with 15k low-end seats?

33. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Of course winning will help. Of course marquee names will help. Of course stadium improvements or a better stadium will help.

Even with those things we aren't going to see the numbers we hope to because fans have less money and the experience costs more.

34. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Looks pretty dire. Never thought I would see Miami in a position to where there could be legitimate reasons to ship the team out of town.

PSG, ssmiami and djphinfan like this.
  35. Bpk

Which is why, from a revenue perspective... just GET REGGIE THE DAMN BALL.

36. Bpk

What the heck is club liv? I keep picturing liv tyler and that's distracting. lol.

37. Bpk

The question is, is Ross the type of owner who would want to do that. I feel like a large part of his interest was in the property-development and facility-management aspect of the organization. The stadium. And development.

Wasn't there a waterpark or something they wanter to open next door too?

38. Bpk

guessing arounf $750,000 per home game... so, like millions.

Also, concessions. Parking. Ancillary stuff.

MAFishFan likes this.
  39. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    Its around $7M per season.

Remember last season when Jeff Ireland was $10M below the salary cap? Stephen Ross isn't sweating $7M.

40. Bumrush

Bumrush Stable Genius Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    After our 1-15 season, the hire of Parcell's brought back season ticket holders.

We have essentially been rebuilding since Wanny was fired. Think about that for a second.
    In 8 years we have had two winning season, one of which was a 9-7 season under Saban, but were out of playoff contention after starting out 1-5.

So outside of 2008, this team has been nowhere near playoff contention. At 5-6 and facing NE twice and SF on the road, we will be playing for nothing again in December.

oakelmpine and Aquafin like this.