Hyde: Ross certain to pursue Harbaugh, Gamble again

180 replies

padre31padre31Luxury Box
Dec 17, 2014, 12:35 AM

"Sethdaddy8 wrote:

Hickey absolutely does not deserve to be canned. He had a solid first season. But if he is collateral damage for a huge transition...so be it.

There is a balance point of cleaning house and targeted cleaning house do to a lack of effectiveness.

If worst case scenario is Hickey hires the next HC..what is the downside and upside?

Clean house and toss it into Ross's hands to choose both..downside and upside?

And keep in mind with Harbaugh, he missed spectacularly on Kaepernick's contract, we are coming to the same cross roads with Tannehill

FinSaneFinSaneForum Veteran
Dec 17, 2014, 01:00 AM

At first you don't succeed..

MrCleanMrCleanSupporter
Dec 17, 2014, 01:02 AM

"mroz wrote:

Why did gamble turn us down? Wasn't it because his dad was ill or something like that?

To remain near to his ailing father, who has since passed away.

“... I hope I never ridicule what is wise or good. Follies and nonsense, whims and inconsistencies do divert me, I own, and I laugh at them whenever I can.”

― Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

FinSaneFinSaneForum Veteran
Dec 17, 2014, 01:04 AM

"CashInFist wrote:

Yeah I can't see it

Wouldn't want to be taking a piss next to your urinal stall...

FinSaneFinSaneForum Veteran
Dec 17, 2014, 01:04 AM

"Sethdaddy8 wrote:

Oh, I thought we were both talking about my penis. I apologize.

Lol gotta love the ambiguous context of this thread

PAPaulyForum Veteran
Dec 17, 2014, 01:06 AM

"Larry Little wrote:

I think there is most likely a good reason why a Superbowl team enthusiastically lets go of their head coach.

The Baltimore Colts knew what to do with a knucklehead head coach who couldn't win the big game. There was a reason they let him walk.

MrCleanMrCleanSupporter
Dec 17, 2014, 01:09 AM

"Piston Honda wrote:

Jimmy, Saban, Parcells, all awesome hires. If it were that easy we'd be having parades every other year.

At this point, I try to temper my enthusiasm about any such hire. With Jimmy and Satan, I was so excited, imagining how many Super Bowls they'd each lead us to, only to end up feeling like I was kicked in the nuts when they left. From now, no matter who gets hired, I am as if from Missouri...ya gotta "Show Me"

“... I hope I never ridicule what is wise or good. Follies and nonsense, whims and inconsistencies do divert me, I own, and I laugh at them whenever I can.”

― Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

FinSaneFinSaneForum Veteran
Dec 17, 2014, 01:10 AM

"Pauly wrote:

The Baltimore Colts knew what to do with a knucklehead head coach who couldn't win the big game. There was a reason they let him walk.

The Chargers looked like geniuses after firing Marty Schottenheimer after he took them to 15-1. Haven't done squat since.

MrCleanMrCleanSupporter
Dec 17, 2014, 01:15 AM

"Sethdaddy8 wrote:

Open your eyes stoopit.

Harbaugh, Gamble, Lazor at OC, Sexy Rexy as DC,

Rex did work with John Harbaugh...there is a connect...maybe.

This would really be a Riley-esque off-season. A double rainbow, if you will.

Sounds like a dream scenario, but I am guessing some team will offer Rex a HC job.

“... I hope I never ridicule what is wise or good. Follies and nonsense, whims and inconsistencies do divert me, I own, and I laugh at them whenever I can.”

― Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

MrCleanMrCleanSupporter
Dec 17, 2014, 01:17 AM

"Paul 13 wrote:

I have my doubts that Mr Ross can pull this off.

I agree. Better to think of this as doubtful, then if it happens be pleasantly surprised. Rather than get too hopeful and optimistic.

“... I hope I never ridicule what is wise or good. Follies and nonsense, whims and inconsistencies do divert me, I own, and I laugh at them whenever I can.”

― Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

FinSaneFinSaneForum Veteran
Dec 17, 2014, 01:20 AM

"MrClean wrote:

At this point, I try to temper my enthusiasm about any such hire. With Jimmy and Satan, I was so excited, imagining how many Super Bowls they'd each lead us to, only to end up feeling like I was kicked in the nuts when they left. From now, no matter who gets hired, I am as if from Missouri...ya gotta "Show Me"

I was more depressed about Saban than Jimmy. Just never felt Jimmy had his heart in it. Couldn't build the team exactly how he wanted it. Never built an offense worth a damn around Dan and took away his audible option. Defense never fully put together either.

Saban came from Bellicheat's tree and seemed to emulate that demeanor. I was really hoping he'd build our team back up and we'd give the Pats a taste of their own medicine. We were finally beginning to get respect back after the miserable Wanny years. That first year under Saban there was a lot of optimism. Once he left I couldn't believe it. All hope I had for this team was sapped instantly. I was somewhat excited about Parcells coming here, but the sting of Saban leaving left me never feeling too optimistic about who this team hires to lead it ever again. I wasn't surprised at all Parcells left and his regime failed. Saban's departure ripped out whatever confidence and respect this team had and was followed by many embarrassing moments, from 1-15 to the current mess we have with Philbin's December swoons.

jinxjinxForum Veteran
Dec 17, 2014, 01:33 AM

"Paul 13 wrote:

I have my doubts that Mr Ross can pull this off.

He hasn't shown he can close yet.

The biggest issue with Harbaugh is getting him to leave the Bay Area. Albert Breer noted that while Harbaugh prefers living in the Bay Area he also wants to be one of the highest paid coaches, and Breer isn't sure Oakland will pony up the cash. Should be interesting to watch.

djphinfandjphinfanSupporter
Dec 17, 2014, 01:35 AM

"Piston Honda wrote:

Jimmy, Saban, Parcells, all awesome hires. If it were that easy we'd be having parades every other year.

jimmys heart wasn't in it...sabans heart definitely wasn't in it..parcells heart is black.

my hope is that were not convincing anyone to coach our team..

jinxjinxForum Veteran
Dec 17, 2014, 01:41 AM

Jimmy's heart was in it in the beginning. Saban's heart was in it until he realized he picked the wrong QB. Parcells was a PR hire. He was on his way to Atlanta and Huizenga wet his pants and gave a boatload of money to a coach who was great 25 years ago to run personnel. Just a bad decision, which was Wayne's specialty.

djphinfandjphinfanSupporter
Dec 17, 2014, 01:42 AM

"Launchpad McQuack wrote:

Wouldn't want to be taking a piss next to your urinal stall...

''good things good things.''

HEheylookatmeForum Veteran
Dec 17, 2014, 01:50 AM

"Larry Little wrote:

I think there is most likely a good reason why a Superbowl team enthusiastically lets go of their head coach.

Well, yeah. An owner with an ego problem is a good reason why a team might give up a great head coach. Carroll Rosenbloom, anyone?

Georgia FinGeorgia FinForum Veteran
Dec 17, 2014, 06:13 AM

Ross has about as good of a chance of pulling this off as Wheeler did catching Brady. Would be real painful to watch and then 6 weeks of media coverage on how he swung and missed again. He needs to write the checks and let the football people handle the football business.

It's the gift that keeps on giving.

BumrushBumrushSupporter
Dec 17, 2014, 07:06 AM

"Georgia Fin wrote:

He needs to write the checks and let the football people handle the football business.

Isn't that what he has done his entire tenure here?

magicapmagicapNew Member
Dec 17, 2014, 07:17 AM

Mr Ross please pull this off. Can you imagine the excitement that this hire would bring? season ticket sales would skyrocket. Just think if he just tweeked us like he did the niners and had us competing!? The respect of this once proud franchise would return and Ross would be the absolute man.

and then I wake up..................

I'm so Dolphins that my sons first and middle name is Zach Thomas.

bigbrybigbryNew Member
Dec 17, 2014, 10:35 AM

"Paul 13 wrote:

I have my doubts that Mr Ross can pull this off.

Please, this man is a football genius.

Alex44Alex44New Member
Dec 17, 2014, 11:18 AM

"magicap wrote:

Mr Ross please pull this off. Can you imagine the excitement that this hire would bring? season ticket sales would skyrocket. Just think if he just tweeked us like he did the niners and had us competing!? The respect of this once proud franchise would return and Ross would be the absolute man.

and then I wake up..................

Gamble would excite me. Harbaugh would not. The more I look there are 5 or so guys I'd much rather have. Harbaugh is better than Philbin so that would be a plus to me.

On the draft Quentin Rollins bandwagon.

FineasFineasLuxury Box
Dec 17, 2014, 11:44 AM

"Larry Little wrote:

I think there is most likely a good reason why a Superbowl team enthusiastically lets go of their head coach.

Truth is, that happens pretty often. In recent years, the Colts did it with Caldwell, the Cards did it with Haley, the Bears did it with Lovie Smith, etc. Going back a ways, the Colts did it with Shula.

It seems like the reason -- friction and animosity between Harbaugh and Baalke/front office -- is pretty well known and has been publicly reported for a long time now.

:bighug: Toonie Luvs Ya

Piston HondaPiston HondaForum Veteran
Dec 17, 2014, 12:00 PM

"Alex44 wrote:

Gamble would excite me. Harbaugh would not. The more I look there are 5 or so guys I'd much rather have. Harbaugh is better than Philbin so that would be a plus to me.

Any thoughts on why the 49ers brass wants Harbaugh out?

JWjw3102Forum Veteran
Dec 17, 2014, 12:08 PM

"Larry Little wrote:

I think there is most likely a good reason why a Superbowl team enthusiastically lets go of their head coach.

Perhaps you forget that the Baltimore Colts traded Don Shula to the Dolphins after going to the SuperBowl. That certainly worked out well for the Dolphins franchise for the next two decades plus.

Sometimes ownership and the head coach just don't see eye to eye and it is best for them to part ways. That appears to be the case with the 49'ers, just as it was with Shula and the Colts ownership in 1970.

To me, it would be the 49ers loss and the Dolphins gain if Ross is able to bring Harbaugh to Miami. I just think it is more likely Harbaugh will end up with the Raiders, Jets, Giants, or Redskins.

The Raiders would seem to satisfy his wife's desire to remain in Norther California. I just think she is in for a shock when the Raiders end up moving to LA in the next year or two.

If he doesn't take the Raider job and he is willing to take a head coaching job on the east coast. The job with the Jets, Giants, or possibly the Redskins would certainly be a more high profile job than the job with the Dolphins.

Dol-Fan DupreeDol-Fan DupreeForum Veteran
Dec 17, 2014, 12:13 PM

"Fineas wrote:

Truth is, that happens pretty often. In recent years, the Colts did it with Caldwell, the Cards did it with Haley, the Bears did it with Lovie Smith, etc. Going back a ways, the Colts did it with Shula.

It seems like the reason -- friction and animosity between Harbaugh and Baalke/front office -- is pretty well known and has been publicly reported for a long time now.

you forgot Jerry Jones did it with Jimmy Johnson

Holland is a huge upgrade over McCain

I want to be alive, I am alive! Alive, I tell you! Mother, I love you, those are no longer just words. I want to hold you, I want to run in a stream, I want to taste ice cream but not just put it in my mouth and let it slide down my throat but really eat it. - Robot Morty