1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Humble Pie

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by The_Dark_Knight, Jan 1, 2017.

1. The_Dark_Knight

The_Dark_Knight Defender of the Truth

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    well, we got whipped today against the Patriots. We all had a fat slice of humble pie. So as I asked in the pregame thread, can Gase and the Dolphins regroup against Pittsburgh next week?

I hope this loss doesn't kill our momentum but it does show that even with the success we've had this year, we still have a long way to go

Surfs Up 99 likes this.
  2. Galant

Galant Love - Unity - Sacrifice - Eternity

Apr 22, 2014
    Pittsburgh are currently 14-14 against the Browns - so humble pie all round.

I think a loss here is actually good. Shows the Phins where they are at. The mistakes that have cost them. The slow start that cost them. All the ways it's possible to lose if you don't start the game switched on and keep it on, at full volume, all game long.

dolfan7171 likes this.
  3. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Best to take this loss when it didn't have huge implications. Gives the coaches a lot to look at and plan for IF they can get past Pittsburgh.

For everyone shocked and happy Pittsburgh is tied with the Browns, are they trying? I saw a stat line for Landry Jones, so I don't think they had starters going unless The Rapist got hurt.

4. Deus ex dolphin

Deus ex dolphin Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Pittsburgh was resting a bunch of starters, I believe. The Steelers will be rested and ready next week. Even if we have a one-and-done playoff exit, there is a lot to build around for next year. Too many injuries and more defensive help is needed before we can compete with the top teams.

MikeHoncho likes this.
  5. muskrat21

muskrat21 Well-Known Member

May 11, 2014
    the difference is, pittsburgh is playing their 3rd and 4th stringers the whole game.

6. Surfs Up 99

Surfs Up 99 Team Flores & Team Tua

May 5, 2016
    Good question. I think Gase and our team can. What do we have to lose? Everyone will be 0-0, and it's winner take all. I look for them to pull out all the stops and fight to the end. It's not going to be easy. Bell is healthy and he is the type of back that gives our defense fits. Roethlisberger extends plays and can take advantage of our secondary if they don't stay focused and within the scheme. Win or lose, in the long run, this game will be good for our team, IMO.

7. ExplosionsInDaSky

ExplosionsInDaSky Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2011
    Yeah. ..we got whooped, but it was expected.

8. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    I really didn't see us getting whooped...we were four yards away from making it a six point game in the fourth- exactly this teams's MO. Then we fumble and give NE an easy score- that was a 15 point swing in 15 seconds. If not for that one play, we had a solid chance at winning the game.

VManis, Finster, dolfan7171 and 2 others like this.
  9. LI phinfan

LI phinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 6, 2013
    We were never going to stop the Pats today, that Td would have made it interesting... but NE would've kept scoring .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. hitman8

hitman8 Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2016
    Which is exactly what we should have done, KC is not going to lose to san diego playing for the 5th seed was stupid.

Sent from my F3111 using Tapatalk

11. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    I believe the Dolphins already know where they are as a team. The defense has been terrible for the last month and I have no doubt the front office and the coaching staff are aware that they are very fortunate to be heading to the playoffs.

I am usually one of those individuals who thinks that there is one winner and 31 losers every NFL season. Yet I thought going into this season the Dolphins would be lucky to win six games. So as far as I am concerned, this season has been a success, no matter what happens in Pittsburg next week.

The Dolphins need to severely upgrade the LB position in the off season and add more talent in the secondary. Right now they are a bottom tier defensive team and with all the backups they are having to start, I really think they are going to have a hard time holding the Steelers below 30 points next week.

I will certainly be rooting for them to win the game but I will also be completely surprised if they beat the Steelers in Pittsburg.

gunn34, Colmax and Surfs Up 99 like this.
  12. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    I don't know...we stopped them the two previous drives. But of course, that's ignoring the TD and the 2-point conversion too.

I did expect us to lose and I'm glad we hung with them most of the game anyway. It's something to build on going into the playoffs and facing Pitt. I really like our chances in that one.

13. hitman8

Nov 11, 2016
    We already beat pit pretty easily the first time. We can certainly beat them again. We just have to fix the holes in the defense.

14. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    I personally think our defense is fine- they just need to start faster. Brady did anything he wanted to in that first quarter and it made coming back almost impossible. They were stopping them fairly well in the 2nd half....although NE did catch a lot of penalties that helped.

phinzi likes this.
  15. hitman8

Nov 11, 2016
    Our defense is fine? What are you smoking? Did you see the Edelman td? That was in the second half not early. Last week should have been an easy win against the bills or offense was scoring but our defense just kept letting them back in the game. We havent beem able to consitently stop anybody all season all of our wins have basically been the offense catching fire and outscoring the opponent along with some timely big plays on special teams. Aside from generating some key tirnovers the defense has been horrendous all season long.

gunn34 likes this.
  16. evo8904

evo8904 Active Member

Dec 31, 2015
    Tampa, FL
    OMG LMFAO!!!!!! Our defense is far from fine. Ranked 30th and gives up 141 rushing yards per game. There are a lot of holes to fill on our defense. I don't think that it can happen in 1 offseason, maybe 2.

17. mlb1399

mlb1399 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2010
    This season has already so far exceeded my expectations and given my hope/optimism for our future that this game really doesn't matter. I would love to see us win but just knowing that we finally have a good coach who can get guys to buy in, play better and overcome every possible injury to make it the playoffs, leaves me knowing we are heading in the right direction.

Furthermore, our last 2 drafts have been some of the best in recent Dolphins history and we're finally on the good side of trades. That trade with the Eagles may go down as one of the best in the last 20 years. To net 3 starters, with one being a top OT prospect is quite incredible.

For the first time in many years, I feel like we are on the path to be perennial playoff contenders and maybe even a Super Bowl with another offseason or two.

18. Galant

Galant Love - Unity - Sacrifice - Eternity

Apr 22, 2014
    That 2 point conversion was such a slap in the face. Double whammy to challenge the Patriots to make up for the earlier conversion point lost (that's a good attitude to have) and prove that they were able to get whatever they wanted from us.

Embarrassing.