1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How would you feel if our first four rounds came out this way?

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by AGuyNamedAlex, Apr 8, 2020.

1. AGuyNamedAlex

AGuyNamedAlex Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2015
    I was just doing a mock draft on PFN and I kind of like how this shook out. If you dont like Herbert, replace him with Tua as both were available. I made two trades I'll list as well. The trades dont have to be this exactly, it was what the CPU would accept to get me into position.

#5 - Justin Herbert - QB: The QB position gets taken care of right away. Herbert has all the tools I look for in a QB so I went with him over Tua.

#18 - Jedrick Wills - OT: With the #18 pick we continue to build the foundation of our offensive line. I was shocked he was here at 18, but I can see it happening if there is a run at other positions. There is a lot of talent this year.

#26 - Antoine Winfield Jr. - S: We have our two lockdown corners, here we add a ball hawk and well rounded safety prospect to an already strong secondary.

#39 - Cesar Ruiz - C: Again we turn to creating competion along the line. Ruiz could be a dominant center long term for us, and he could compete with Karras right away.

TRADE:

Dolphins Receive: #64 & #133
    Seattle Receives: #56

#64 - Laviska Shenault Jr - WR: A strong route runner with solid hands and good physical skills. He could share reps from the slot immediately. Has durability concerns or he may have been taken higher.

#70 - Raekwon Davis - DT: A big body who can solidify the inside on run downs. We would be counting on Flores to light a fire in him but the talent is absolutely there. Substitute a DT you like here if not Raekwon.

TRADE: (I dont like this trade but I wanted to secure Dillon. The cost in reality may be less to move up, it's all the CPU would accept)

Dolphins Receive: #105
    Vikings (I think it was) Receive: #133, #153, #154

#105 - AJ Dillon - HB: Incredible size/speed combo is too good to pass up. He could make the offense very dangerous if he pans out.

#141 - Justin Strnad - ILB: Havent watched a ton of tape, but he could be a decent ST player and potentially develop into a starter at some point. Decent athlete that provides versatility on defense but has parts of his game to work on.

2. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I'd be happy with Herbert, Wills and Ruiz. Wills is a player that a lot of people see going in the top ten, so thats awesome.

I'm not that high on Winfield, and would think that there were other safetys that I like more available at that spot. Personal preference.

I'm fine with making those trades, but I don't really care for either Shenalaut or Dillon. Dillon especially is the opposite of what I want at the RB position, and I'd rather take one of the guys that I do like in the second or third round.

AGuyNamedAlex likes this.
  3. AGuyNamedAlex

Sep 12, 2015
    Honestly, Shenault could stay or go. There was no-one at the slot I felt especially strong about and traded down. I've seen many here who want a WR to replace Wilson/Grant so I went with a guy I felt has potential over his draft position and would fit in the slot.

What is it you dont like about Dillon? I think if he has a line that can get him to the second level he becomes pretty dangerous in the NFL with his size/speed combo. There are definitely a couple backs I like better, but Dillon to me is value in the 4th round.

I should say that after round 2, I believe the success rate is so low for any player to succeed that I'm looking for guys who have large potential and coachable issues as opposed to guys who may be more technically solid but have limited upside.

4. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I want to flat out move on from Wilson and Grant without putting resources into replacing them this season. Let Parker, Williams and Ford be the top three, with Hurns as the fallback. Then see what we have in Gary Jennings too, who I liked a lot in college. If we're going to bring in a few other late round guys, that's cool, but I think we have our top five.

As far as Dillon goes, I simply don't like the big, power, brusing style of RB. I strongly prefer guys who are average size, with top end speed, who will dodge contact rather than run through it.

5. AGuyNamedAlex

Sep 12, 2015
    That is fair enough.

I definitely think we have enough at WR to skip it for a year or two, I'm all for letting the guys fight it out and develop. Though I'm also a proponent of keeping Wilson to see how he performs healthy. I dont see as much in Ford/Jennings but I'm not against letting them compete.

For a HB I just want a guy who is as fast/faster than the LB and more powerful than a corner/safety. Regardless of who is carrying IMO we need a stronger line.

6. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I think that it likely depends on what your focus is at each position. Ford and Jennings both have skills to catch the ball and move the sticks with regularity, and that's my number one. Wilson and Grant are much more boom/bust, which I'm not a fan of.

On the OL, we definately agree. I want the OL to always be a top focus, and we just haven't done nearly enough.

7. phinswolverinesrockets

phinswolverinesrockets If he dies, he dies

Oct 31, 2013
    Houston
    That's pretty good, Alex.
    I used your draft website, and gave it a shot for a 7 round mock...

5. Tua Tagovailoa (PFF #2 rank QB)
    18. Jedrick Wills (PFF #1 rank RT)
    26. Josh Jones (PFF #2 rank LT)
    39. Xavier McKinney (PFF#2 rank S)
    56. Justin Madubuike (PFF #4 rank DT)
    70. Tyler Biadasz (PFF #2 rank C)
    141. Lamical Perine (Our backup RB)
    153. Jonah Jackson (PFF #1 rank RG)
    154. Lavert Hill (CB depth)
    173. James Proche (Led nation in catches)
    185. Stephen Sullivan (TE with 4.6 speed)
    227. Jon Runyan Jr. (OG depth)
    246. Bravvion Roy (DL depth)
    251. Adrian Killins Jr. (Fastest RB in draft)

xphinfanx and AGuyNamedAlex like this.
  8. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    This was my first go around with a mock at this site, and I like it a lot. I like that you can propose trades with the other teams, and I like that they will trade with each other, but do they ever propose trades with the user? I made several trades to end up with four first rounders. I would be pretty stoked with this draft, if it were real.

12. Justin Herbert, QB
    18. Jedrick Wills, OT
    20. Andrew Thomas, OT
    26. Xavier McKinney, S
    39. Cesar Ruiz, C
    56. Reakwon Davis, DT
    80. Cam Akers, RB
    141. Solomon Kindley, G
    154. Jonah Jackson, G
    173. Lavert Hill, CB
    185. Antoine Brooks Jr, S
    227. John Runyan Jr, OL
    246. Michael Warren II, RB
    251. KJ Osborne, WR

xphinfanx likes this.
  9. AGuyNamedAlex

Sep 12, 2015
    I like McKinney, obviously the tackles are great and you got Herbert + Ruiz as well so I like it.

I'm not sure Herbert would be there at #12 though, especially if it is true Tua has failed a couple team physicals as the news is saying.

Wills I can see being there if we are lucky like I said in mine. There is a lot of talent and a run at WR early or another position could free up a tackle or two. Especially since there is depth at OT this year, teams may feel they can grab a quality player later and pass.

I honestly havent watched enough Akers to judge him but we definitely need a HB so a quality pick if he pans out.

Also I consider Center probably the most underappreciated but impactful position on the field by most fans. Grabbing a guy who could be top 5-10 at the position would be great for us going forward.

I havent had a team propose me a trade btw, but I also like that the CPU trades and they usually make sense.

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  10. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Akers is my third favorite RB in the draft, after Swift and Dobbins. In mock after mock on this site, I was hoping to take Dobbins at 56, only to see him taken just before that. I've considered trying another one where I work to trade for a pick between 39 and 56.

But having said that, going into the draft with the intention/plan of taking Herbert with my first pick and Akers in the third round, this one felt like I was getting one of the best OTs in the draft for free after the trades. And then I loved how the 4th-6th rounds fell too. Lavert Hill was at one point being talked about as a second or third rounder, like McKinney.

11. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I did another one there where both Tago and Herbert were available at #5. And after I couldn't get either the Jags or Raiders to do a deal to get their two first rounders to move down, I traded #5 for #12 and Oakland's 2021 first round pick, plus a few later round picks.

Then, when I still really liked who was still available, I took a bit of a risk and traded #12 to Denver for #15 and #75.

At #15, both Wirfs and Herbert were still on the board, so I gambled that Dallas and Atlanta wouldn't grab a QB and took Wirfs. Then ended up drafting Herbert at #18.