1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How the return of Jones will impact the Defense

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by seabass0795, Oct 7, 2014.

1. seabass0795

seabass0795 New Member

Feb 26, 2012
    Orlando
    This is a well-written article about what the return of Reshad Jones truly means for our defense. Hopefully he can return to his 2012 form with our LBs finally being somewhat competent in coverage.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-of-reshad-jones-will-affect-dolphins-defense

EDIT:Here is a video of his highlights in 2012. If he plays like this again our defense will absolutely wreck.

[video=youtube;UZwwrz0c6Vg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZwwrz0c6Vg[/video]

2. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Jones>wilson...lol

Seriously man, I miss that dude, also Misi over Trunsik is such an upgrade.

I can't wait to see this defense play with these two players, add in starks then eventually the mishandled dion Jordan, we might be real good.

3. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Seriously, I might tweak out if I have to watch him at safety again. He's good as a slot CB, but holy cow, he's got to be one of the worst players I've seen at safety in taking angles to the ball, and on top of that, he's not a good tackler.

I'm interested to see how Misi does. Trusnik played better than I thought he would, but I think Misi CAN be better. At this point, I feel pretty comfortable with Jenkins moving forward. The rest of the group of Ellerbe, Misi, and Wheeler...eh, not so much.

djphinfan likes this.
  4. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    While having a 2012 prime Jones would be fantastic, what most likely happens is he'll be a step slow and will look downright sluggish as he gets his sea legs back.

5. PhinFan1968

PhinFan1968 To 2020, and BEYOND! Club Member

If they can use him like they did in 2012, with improvement from Jenkins and Wheeler...and if Misi's better than Trusnik at all...man...filthy.

6. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    2012 R Jones seems so far away. still, even 2013 R Jones is better than Wilson

7. RoninFin4

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I think Mark Duffner deserves a lot of credit. Jelani Jenkins is clearly improved, and the returning of Philip Wheeler to SAM and playing more on the line of scrimmage has netted a nice gain. I'm interested to see how Misi does.

And, to DJ's point, hopefully Dion Jordan's gotten himself straight and is in good shape as Olivier Vernon hasn't really taken off like many thought thus far.

8. PhinFan1968

Ya I'm very happy with those 2 LBs so far this year...and surprised. Bonus!

I've personally written Jordan off for the season...he's a mess so far...bad drugs, other bad drugs, too much weight gain, not enough play, doesn't seem to have any real fire...I'd be happy if we got ANY production out of him this year considering.

Would be awesome if he came back all re-motivated and ready to rip some heads off...we'll see.

9. 77FinFan

77FinFan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    Anxious to see Misi and hope to see some good things from Tripp too.

10. PhinFan1968

Slightly OT but I saw mention that McCain's going to be in the DE rotation against GB. Hope he sees a bunch of snaps.

SICK likes this.
  11. RoninFin4

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    That's good since we're light without Shelby, which is really a shame as he was turning it up this year so far. Fede looked okay against Oakland, but it'd be nice to have a 3rd guy who can provide pressure.

12. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Could see the Reshad Jones thing going either way, at least initially.

Wish McCain were on the field as a LB not just a DE. Still can't help but think he's too light and weak to be consistent as a DE on pass rush downs. But he could still be kind of a Mark Anderson that way. I just think he could be more.

PhinFan1968 likes this.
  13. PhinFan1968

Jones has been saying that its all been football for him during his suspension, and that he's treating his daily schedule like he was with the team...still...I agree with you there, toss-up what we'll see.

14. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

McCains athleticism should help contain Rogers in the pocket

15. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    That's not what he's gonna be doing tho if they use him the way they'd been. He's an all out rusher.

16. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Well..I think they want to try and get as much pressure on him using just their defensive front. Rogers is so tricky though..should be a heck of a game.

17. PhinFan1968

Good news.

SICK, ElNino and ToddPhin like this.
  18. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    We've seen McCain as a Nickel LB, stand-up edge rusher, and at a wider a technique than I think I've seen any other DE use in Miami. I don't think it's that likely McCain is pidgeonholed out of position.

19. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Reshad jones speed has always jumped out at me..never thought he was as fast as he is, but when he opens up, I've seen him run real freakin fast for a man 220.

20. roy_miami

roy_miami Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2013
    Misi and Jones would have made a huge difference vs KC (in theory anyway), they (smartly) went after Trusnick and if you beat Trusnick Wilson ain't bringing any load of a running back down. Not that it would have made any difference on the outcome of the game because Tannehill was completely inept accounting for only 3 unassisted points, but the defensive stats would have looked much better.

21. xphinfanx

xphinfanx Stay strong my friends.

Nov 1, 2009
    Nice youtube just mute it.