1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How the Phins can reach the Superbowl.

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Sceeto, Feb 14, 2009.

1. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    http://www.realfootball365.com/articles/dolphins/13634

"Bell broke on the scene in 2008, making an astonishing 120 tackles after netting just five stops the prior year. Like Carey, if Bell isn’t brought back, teams will be lining up for the services of a productive safety".

It's interesting to see Bell went from 5 stops in '07 to 120 tackles in '08. We definitely have to resign him or give him the franchise tag because there's not any Safeties in FA that would be better and if we draft someone, it'll take time for him to learn the ropes.

njfinfan likes this.
  2. late again

late again Senior Member

Nov 24, 2007
    Just me, but I think he's got it backwards. I see signing Bell as a bigger priority than Crowder.

funkdat likes this.
  3. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    I agree. The thing with Crowder is we would have to have a quality FA or a draft pick in mind that we were confident in enough for him to start at ILB because people can say what they want about Crowder, but when he was out this year for a bit, you could obviously see the drop off in our D. We couldn't stop the run or anything, so I'd say do anything we have to in order to keep Bell and find some way to keep Crowder unless we know we could find someone else, but Dansby will probably resign with the Cards, so I think we have to find a way to keep Crowder for now.

funkdat likes this.
  4. njfinfan

njfinfan The First Lady

Nov 23, 2007
    Newark, NJ
    I agree completely Scott. We need to lock up Yeremiah, seriously, before someone else gets him.

Sceeto likes this.
  5. late again

late again Senior Member

Nov 24, 2007
    I hear ya bro. But I also believe that the drop off in run stopping when Crowder was out speaks more to a lack of depth than anything.
    Furthermore, I think replacing/upgrading at Crowder's position won't be all that difficult. A draft pick would most likely be cheaper. Or maybe pay more to a FA upgrade and get a playmaker, rather than just a guy who tackles the RB right in front of him. IMO that's why some say tackle #s can be overrated. Because with a ILB you're going to get that simply because he's standing right in front of the guy to tackle.
    I would suppose, while I'm thinking about this, Bell probably wouldn't be so hard to replace/upgrade, either. Bell has tackles - 120 of them ; 1 sack; 10 PDs and no INTs. He did a nice job for us, but we could probably do better without killing the cap.
    I guess maybe it all comes back to the depth issue. Lose Crowder and Bell and we'll need to replace, while still being shallow with depth. But keep them and we're still mediocre, looking to add depth.
    Kind of a dilemma......final thoughts from me are - I'm glad I'm not saddled with the task, because it's hard to say what's the best direction to take.

Sceeto likes this.
  6. PhinGeneral

PhinGeneral PC Texas A&M, Bro Club Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Swamps of Jersey
    Considering Bell went down for the season with an Achillies tendon injury in the first game of 2007 I don't particularly see what's so astonishing (or interesting) about it.

7. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    I was about to post that :lol: would have been amazing for him to have 120 tackles in one game last year.

8. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    I know, but it shows what he's capable of when healthy and because of the injury, that hampered his practicing and learning, so he stills somewhat raw. It seems he must have a big upside and obviously the potential to be very good.

9. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    Yeah bro, I'm all for upgrading the MLB position over Crowder. I don't like how he over pursues and he gets faked out and misses open field tackles, like you were implying, but the thing is, what FA are you going to replace him with this year? Dansby? He'll be staying with the Cards. So, if we can draft a guy who can come in and start and make an impact, then I'm all for it and I think we definitely have to do that at some point, but I don't know if this is the year to take one so high in the draft. I think there are other positions I would go for first. If you can get a guy in the later rounds whom can come in and start, then I'm all for it, but you won't know until it's too late if you get rid of Crowder. It's a tough call.

Bell, on the other hand, I don't think will be that easy to replace. Again, who's out there who's a better upgrade? Because of Bells' injury 2 years ago, he's still so raw and if he was good last year, than I think he's only going to get better, with this year under his belt as well as more practice time etc. :)

10. GARDENHEAD

GARDENHEAD Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    this 120 tackles stat is very misleading. If our inside linebackers didn't suck, they'd make more tackles and Bell would have less tackle opportunities.
    Posted via Mobile Device

dirtywhiteboy likes this.
  11. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    We play a 3-4. That means TWO ILBs.

Why do people want to get rid of our best one, and imo the only quality starter on the roster. We should resign both Crowder and bell, and look to upgrade opposite Channing with a player that will complement him.

phinfanuk and Skeet84 like this.
  12. Skeet84

Skeet84 New Member

Dec 14, 2007

Crowder is not the the best MLB, But I know he is better than Akin. We need to find some playmakers in the draft no matter what position. I would like to get Bart Scott and Atogwe, But they may be just wishful thinking.

13. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

crowder had 92 solo tackles
    ayodele had 52 solo tackles, 4 passes defensed and 2 INTs.

bell had 100 solo tackles 1 sack and 10 PD, which isn't that much more tackles than crowder but still a lot for a S though.

Sceeto likes this.
  14. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Hes got his flaws, but for all that he had a very good year for us. Considering we have little depth behind him, we should not be looking to cast him off but get a LB who compliments him.
    Crowder does overpursue and get out of position sometimes, but hes a solid tackler, he can be asked to blitz (something Zach never could do), and generally play a good game. He might not be Ray Lewis, but damn hes worth keeping around.

15. Roman529

Roman529 Senior Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I hope we keep Y-Bell...but if we lose Crowder it's no big deal. I think Crowder is the most overrated guy on the Phins and he never makes a big play...EVER. LB's are a dime a dozen but good d-backs are much harder to find.

16. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

Roman, I totally agree that Crowder rarely makes any game changing plays, but there's more to his game than just that. He's a solid LB. Not great, not what we are used to in the MLB position with Zach and Offerdahl and Chambers and Buoniconti etc...but certainly very serviceable. Unfortunately, you seemed to have answered your critics with your very remarks...If good LBers are a dime a dozen, why is it that we don't think Crowder is good enough ?? He's very under rated in his run stuffing ability evidenced by the way we struggled when he missed time this year, but still doesn't make enough big plays. That is his only downfall though...

I do agree that Bell is the first priority with this group of FAs. But there are severe reservations about Bell's ability to stay healthy. Sure, he did this year, but he has missed more than his share of time with injuries...

Crowder likely will move on. I doubt the Trio is ready to pay him what he thinks he may be worth. But replacing him won't be as easy as you seem to think. Who, other than Bart Scott is available in FA that is as good or better than Crowder ?? And Scott will command probably the same money that Crowder will. Of course the question about Scotts play is just how much did he benefit having Reed, Suggs, Ngata, Price and Ray Ray along with him... Crowder has no such restraints as to his ability being what he showed...

I'd like to see Bell re-signed, but I also like to see a Leonard or Atogwe signed to complement him...

Replacing Crowder won't be impossible, but it'll be costly via FA and there will be a learning curve for anyone via the draft...just remember...sometimes you get what you ask for...