1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How much credit does philbin deserve?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by dullfandan, Dec 2, 2013.

1. dullfandan

dullfandan Active Member

Sep 15, 2013
    Charlotte N.C.
    A lesser coach would have folded under the circumstances... Troubled locker room, shotty o line, sherms questionable play calling.. Now how much blame does joe deserve? Personally I think he should be allowed to finish his contract with his staff.. After that then we reevaluate...

2. NolePhin15

NolePhin15 Well-Known Member

Dec 15, 2010
    Jupiter
    Unless he goes 1-3 or worse in the next 4 games he gets his third year imo.

3. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2013
    Norfolk VA
    I agree with this. Let's give him the time to complete his vision. I like him so far. The way he plays at the end of the 1st half is a good example why. Previous coaches were dying to get into the locker room, kneeling on the ball, etc.. Philbin calls timeouts on opposing team's 2 minute drives to get the ball back. Got us 6 (2 FG) in the Jets game doing this.

4. mlb1399

mlb1399 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2010
    I've liked the Joe Philbin hire from day 1. I'm not sure I'm sold on some of the coordinators but I like the way Philbin handles things, his attention to detail and how he treats people with respect. I think the problem with this organization(or at least what's keeping us from reaching the next level) is the fact that we are very young, RTH is still developing, we have a lot of personnel learning new systems at a lot of positions and our GM.

RickyBobby likes this.
  5. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Shefter gave him a national shoutout, for winning games amidst the controversy, and seemingly having the team playing well at the most pivitol time of the year.

6. dullfandan

dullfandan Active Member

Sep 15, 2013
    Charlotte N.C.

Actually that hat gave me the idea for the op... Wondered what y'all thought...

7. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Just like his team, he needs to finish strong..but he's got to beat a steeler team that isn't playing at the level their accustomed to..he's got to beat a bill team that came into our house and won, and he's got to beat the jets for the final home game of the season..those three things happen, he's got the third year imo.

8. pocoloco

pocoloco I'm your huckleberry Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    North Chicagoland
    We may have a keeper with Joe

9. Limbo

Limbo Mad Stillz

Mar 21, 2013
    Philbin's fine, but I don't think he deserves a ton of credit. We handled the Cogs controversy by getting embarrassed by Tampa on national TV. We haven't won consecutive games since week 3. I mean, we're a .500 team in a sh.t division. And I can't totally dissociate the OC's ineptitude from Philbin - he needs to get things straight with Sherman.

But the end of our schedule lays out beautifully for us to build some momentum. Get on a roll now on the road against one the NFL's premier franchises, beat down our sorry division opponents, and make a statement to the Pats to propel us into the postseason. Then I'd give Philbin some props.

finwin likes this.
  10. CD13

CD13 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 13, 2007
    Vestal, NY
    He absolutely deserves credit for the recent play, just as he would get the criticism if we drop the next two games against Pitt/NE.

11. cuchulainn

cuchulainn Táin Bó Cúailnge Club Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Hattiesburg, MS
    They're giving Philbin major props on ProFootball Talk right now for the coaching job he has done since the bullying crap and losing 2 OLine starters, in that we've gone 3-2 since then and are 6-6 and fighting with the Ravens for the 6th seed in the playoffs.

12. Fineas

Fineas Club Member Luxury Box

Jan 5, 2008
    I'm not much of a Philbin fan. I don't think any professional HC would have "folded" under these circumstances. Each week it seems like questionable coaching decisions cost us points (and very often games). And I think the whole bullying scandal was an opportunity to really bring the team together and I don't think that has really happened --- it has been the same inconsistent and mediocre team that it was before the bullying scandal.

13. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    As opposed to PFT admitting that the "bullying crap" was never a big deal to begin with?

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure they milked it for all the traffic they could and a lot of people fell for the B.S., but as far as player comments and on the field results go, there is ZERO evidence to suggest that this so called scandal had any real effect on the team's play.

14. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    I don't think Philbin has ever in danger of getting fired. Same goes for Ireland.

15. DOLPHAN1

DOLPHAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

except for the intrusion into the locker room by the media and then the investigators. constantly asking the same questions over and over, having to defend yourself and teammates...no. not a distraction at all....

16. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I'm judging him based on progression of the team relative to variables inherited..He's got his team peaking I believe at the right time..excited to see if this coach can handle the pressure of December expectations, and I don't believe my expectations are to lofty, I'm looking for improvement from the year prior.

17. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    I feel like Ireland is going to go, and Philbin will get another year and the new GM buying his groceries. If the record doesn't improve, or playoffs don't happen, we'll end up with a new coach from the new GM's choosing, or input. Of course playoffs all year likely changes that. I just dont see Philbin being let go given the job he's done, under the circumstances.

18. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Was listening to the Joe Rose show..forget who it was..but they said absolutely..Ireland is gone. No matter. Said it was the Dolphins who leaked the story that Philbin wanted Cogs gone after the golf course incident. Ireland doesn't have a chance.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

djphinfan and mlb1399 like this.
  19. mlb1399

mlb1399 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2010
    I had wondered about that and were it came from. IMO, Ireland hasn't been as terrible as many people would like to believe. He also hasn't been good. I think the biggest problem is his image with fans and the league. He's been involved in too many black eyes for this organization(Dez Bryant mom, incident with the fan, Incognito situation).

20. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

I think this is all Ross. He has been clear and upfront he supports Joe Philbin. He has been more clear in his silence in regards the Jeff Ireland.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

21. finwin

finwin Active Member

Apr 30, 2013
    Jamestown, NC
    Not sure how much of the Offense is Philbins but it ranks in the bottom third of the NFL so I can't disassociate Philbin with Sherman. I like Philbins attention to detail and when he criticized the way the team was playing when we were 3-0 and losing the TO battle, that's what sold me on him but I'm not sold on this offense and I'm glad he's not happy with it either.

77FinFan likes this.
  22. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Thank baby Odin for Joe Philbin's strong hand at the rudder. I can only imagine what kind of mess of underachievement, dysfunction, late-game collapse, bad play calling and game day mismanagement we'd have on out hands without him.

Fin D likes this.
  23. finfansince72

finfansince72 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    Its up to a new GM.....Ireland needs to go. If a new GM wants him I have no issue with it. But if keeping him means keeping Ireland...no thanks.

24. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    You seriously think they care?

25. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Even the biggest hater would concede this team is a lot more talented than the 2012 version. At this point last year we were playing out the string/looking forward to the draft and the year before that we were out of the playoff hunt by mid October.

That's not improvement?

26. Sethdaddy8

Sethdaddy8 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    I will say; 7-9, 7-9, 11-5, 10-1(going on 11-1, thus far this season).

I'll bet the Seahawks are glad they didn't quit on Pete Carroll after 2 competitive but losing seasons.

I am trying as a fan to be open minded and wade through all the b.s. What is right here, what is wrong. I think it is now blatantly clear that Ireland is wrong. Some players may be wrong, some coaches...like Sherman. But I think Philbin has good football instinct. The old saying, always used negatively, "where there is smoke there is fire." I think this applies to Philbin, but in a good way. Football people and our owner love him. If he were fired, it would take him .02 seconds to land back in Green Bay as assistant head coach, OC and/or in whatever significant capacity. There is something to this guy. I would like to see him given a bit more clout in the decision making process on personnel, because he will run guys out of town.

I can only hope we hire someone to the GM spot that can fill his needs to field a contender. My bigger concern is that he can make the tough call on his old lifelong buddy Sherman. We need a better play caller. We need someone who can call plays better given our personnel. Because, and especially in the Jet game...I see good play from our WRs. TE's could be more significant. I see good play from our RB, and I see good play from our o-line! And of course QB play has been very solid. We need a play caller who can get us in the end zone with what we have...which is something.

MAFishFan and Fin D like this.
  27. rdhstlr23

rdhstlr23 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    Exactly this. The Dolphins played a terrible Jets team. I've seen this all before...heading into December 6-6, 5-6, 6-5, 7-6, 6-7. I expect a 7-9, maybe 8-8 finish. For me, it's not good enough.

28. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Depends on the finish..but my eyes tell me we have improved.

29. rdhstlr23

Dec 2, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    At this time last year we were 5-7 and 1 game out of the WC. But yes, we've improved by 1 game.

30. MAFishFan

MAFishFan Team Tannehill

Sep 20, 2011
    Massachusetts
    Anything over 8-8 would a difficult sell to fire him. I'm with most and think getting rid of Sherman would be the better move. When not calling a QB sneak or bootleg on 3rd and goal from the 1 and 4th and goal from the 1 inch line is the norm, something needs to change.

31. rdhstlr23

Dec 2, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    To be fair, in Carroll's 1st year they still won the division, albeit at 7-9. But they had a playoff win over the defending champs and played the Bears tough the following game.