1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How long is it going to take to turn this around?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by mroz, Nov 11, 2012.

1. mroz

mroz Fix the OL Club Member

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    I wish I could say that I see the light at the end of the tunnel but I dont. Every year I look at this team and I see huge holes. I cant remember the last time I thought that a player here or there would get us over the hump or just competitive. Right now I am looking at this team and I see a team that needs to replace (or re-sign in the case of Long) at least three (LT, LG and RG) OLman. We need to replace the entire secondary with the exception of maybe R. Jones. We need to add a passrusher. Fassano is a FA and we have no one behind him. Need at least one WR… I dont think DT is the answer at RB full time though I like Miller. We are talking (IMO) about replacing about half the starting lineup…. that is not a one off season type of project.

Aquafin likes this.
  2. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    Well, after we fire Jeff we can rebuild via the draft.

No way in hell do I want that guy making decisions when we have big financial pickles to deal with.

Berezo, smahtaz, LBsFinest and 3 others like this.
  3. oakelmpine

oakelmpine New Member

Oct 16, 2012
    Dude this team is YEARS away from contending. It's going to take someone with a clear vision to build the team, not some one that seems to play pin the tail on the donkey when it comes the draft.

Berezo and Aquafin like this.
  4. oakelmpine

oakelmpine New Member

Oct 16, 2012
    Get ready to be disappointed......I'm sticking with my guns, Ireland will be drafting for us come next April.

Boy do I hope I am wrong.

5. Dtronic

Dtronic Season Tickets Sec. 150

Dec 7, 2007
    Cape Coral FL
    How long??

Depends on two things.

How fast we fire Jeff Ireland.

And the progress of RT. Hopefully he is not Henne x2.

Berezo likes this.
  6. CD13

CD13 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 13, 2007
    Vestal, NY
    Actually bad day to discuss future. I mean are Giants fans saying they need to toss the whole team out the door. Bad losses happen, but I think our team has more pieces than your tone indicates. Actually I like the line, rather have them gel than replace three pieces, although open to another guard. Definitely need more playmakers, WR/TE on offense, pass rushers on defense, nickel corner. We are 2 years away in reality, but we have a coach, and a QB finally so future is bright, just today it is really ****ing cloudy is all.

mroz and Phyl like this.
  7. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    This is awesome, it's like the last 8 games of the season didn't happen and these same posters are doing the same thing with nary a sense of understanding or recognition of anything that has transpired.

Also, you're a fool if you think Jeff Ireland is getting fired anytime soon.

8. oakelmpine

oakelmpine New Member

Oct 16, 2012
    I agree he will be drafting for us this April. Not what I wish to happen, but its the real world and that will happen. Ross doesn't have the smarts to do anything different. Ireland has been his man he's turned to for 4 years now, and that isn't going to change. I'm sure Ireland spins all of this to being the coaches fault and not his.

Ross may only listen when that stadium is completely empty.

9. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    Funny. Sounds to me like we have problems with our roster. Not just because guys are FA, but because the guys we have simply arent good. Two different coaching staffs now, plus a few different sets of co-ordinators. Guess what, we're in the same spot. We've seen this team looking more competitive this year. You can probably chalk that up to better coaching. However, games like this, and upcoming games such as NE, SF, and Seattle I think we're really going to see that coaching, can't fix the problems we have here. We have roster, and talent issues. That's on your GM.

10. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    You can't compare the Giants and the Dolphins. Yes they both loss big today, but the Giants went on the road and had a bad day. The Dolphins lost at home to a team which has been terrible lately.
    The Giants also can be excused because they have been SB winners twice in recent years.

The Dolphins haven't been squat for years and therefore Giant fans will take this loss with a grain of salt. Dolphin fans though have to realize that the team they saw today is still a long way from being a playoff team, while I have no doubt that the Giants will be in the playoffs when this regular season is over. In fact I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see them in the SB again this year.

Berezo, Aquafin, dolfndav34 and 3 others like this.
  11. muscle979

muscle979 Season Ticket Holder

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    Of course Giants fans aren't saying that. The Giants have won two of the past five Super Bowls. Miami hasn't done anything but mostly be a joke.

12. oakelmpine

oakelmpine New Member

Oct 16, 2012
    If he has done such a great job then why have other teams gotten better in the time we've stayed basically the same ? I judge it on results and the results are not there. Since Jeff Ireland has been on his own the team has a losing record. That is not just one year, two years or even three. He is into his 4th season on his own and the record is not demonstrably better. As has been pointed out, some of the same holes in the roster are still holes after 3 of his drafts with out Parcells.

You can defend him all you want, but the record he can't run away from is the bottom line - they have a losing record with him as their GM (35- 39). If he survives it will be interesting to match his winning total against that of Matt Millen who is considered by many to have been maybe the worst GM in the NFL in the last 20 years. If the Dolphins are 10 games better than his record I would be surprised.

Aquafin likes this.
  13. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    The quality of the teams isn't the same, but the comparison is noteworthy because of the fan reaction. Giants fans have clamored pretty loudly to have their coaching staff and GM fired at times(most notably in their Super Bowl years), and I think that might be the only thing that really puts Dolphins fans into some sort of redeemable perspective.

14. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    Judging a GM by wins and losses is stupid, especially when it is universally agreed upon that the coaching was bad.

15. jw3102

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    We can only hope and pray Ross wakes up soon and sees the disaster, Ireland is as this teams GM. Exactly what has this team accomplished this season that they didn't accomplish the last three years. They have beaten a group of teams with sub 500 records this year. The same thing they did the last three years. Their offense hasn't been any more effective this season than it was last year. The defense continues to fold at the end of close games. The running attack has taken a giant step backwards. The OL continues to have trouble protecting Tannehill and opening holes for the running backs.

The secondary continues to create no turnovers and the pass rush is the worst it has been in the last few years. So please explain how this team has actually progressed this year. Remember, they were 5-3 in their last eight games last season. They are 4-5 this season, playing an easy schedule. I'm not sure how this equates to an improving team.

Aquafin and oakelmpine like this.
  16. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Stop with the double standard.

Praising Ireland when we are 4-3, blaming coaching for this debacle. It's a bad combination of both. But the talent is sub standard and guess who gets that blame?? And there's no Parcells "out" this time.

17. jw3102

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    The real difference is that the Giant fans were mistaken in wanting their GM fired. The Dolphin fans aren't mistaken in wanting Ireland fired. I seriously doubt if the HC and GM of the Giants would still be with the organization if they had the same combined record over the past five years as Ireland has, as the Dolphins GM.

pumpdogs and oakelmpine like this.
  18. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    I didn't just start saying Ireland was a good GM. How is that possibly a double standard?

19. oakelmpine

oakelmpine New Member

Oct 16, 2012
    The coaching isn't the problem as much as it is a lack of talent. That is the GM's responsibility. He has done an awful job. This team has almost not depth except at DL. In 5 drafts & off-seasons he has not put together anything resembling a winning team, much less a playoff or Super Bowl contender. Again that is on the GM.

Disgustipate I wish no argument with you. But facts are cold and hard and they say, that Jeff Ireland has not done his job.

In any other profession, if you are a CEO and have 5 losing years you more than likely get canned. Same rules should apply to our GM.

We need a fresh way of doing things, and a fresh vision for this franchise. It should have been done at the same time Philbin came in, but our owner just didn't have a clue that he needed to do it that way. Mr Ross has an empty stadium, and he deserves it until he either sells or learns.

Aquafin likes this.
  20. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    Miami is hovering just outside of the top 10 in both those stats this season.

21. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008

You pointed to coaching, wich to an extent I agree. But the lack of talent at numerous positions is evident. And that's on a teams GM.

oakelmpine likes this.
  22. jw3102

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    How else do you judge the GM? According to your view, it is Philbin who should be fired. Because the Dolphins have a won- lost record right now which is worse than the teams won-lose record over the last eight games last season.

This team is what it is because of the overall lack of talent on the roster. This team has a lot of below average players on the roster and coaching can't change that. Ireland loaded the roster with these below average NFL players and he is the one who needs to be held responsible for where this team is right now.

oakelmpine likes this.
  23. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    This game showed you this...how exactly?

This was almost entirely explained by ****ty effort and a rookie quarterback performing poorly, and we've got loads of information contrary to the idea that we're awful in any area.

24. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    You judge the GM by looking at what other GMs have done in terms of talent acquisition? It's not rocket science.

I'm not in any sense suggesting Philbin should be fired.

25. RickyNeverInhaled

RickyNeverInhaled Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2009
    Alabama
    We will turn things around Thursday Night. But after next draft we will have the least amount of needs in a long time IMO.

26. oakelmpine

oakelmpine New Member

Oct 16, 2012
    I can't see how so many people can't see that about the situation, that the talent is average at best and most likely below average. I think the difference in coaching has been the only thing that has us with 4 wins so far this season.

And we know, that Philbin was Ross' call not Ireland. Ireland wanted McCoy from Denver.

27. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    To quote you...

I didn't just start saying Ireland was a bad GM this week.

:up:

ckparrothead likes this.
  28. jw3102

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    You have a knack for quoting stats. I only care about wins and losses and right now the Dolphins have more losses than they have wins. Just as they have for the past three seasons.
    The one person who has been here for all those losing seasons is the GM. Parcells has been gone for over two years. Sparano was fired last year. Now it is time Ross gets rid of the last
    holdover from the failed regime of the last five years.

Maybe after the Bills beat the Dolphin on Thursday night, you will finally see the light.

pumpdogs likes this.
  29. jw3102

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    I guess that is the argument Ireland will try to make to keep his job. He will tell Ross that he should have hired McCoy and not Philbin.

30. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    You didn't have good support for your argument then. At the absolute nadir Ireland looked like a pretty much average GM, and that's before a lot of decisions looked dramatically more successful this season.

31. oakelmpine

oakelmpine New Member

Oct 16, 2012
    Then why are we still awful at WR, and 2ndary ? Those were problems for more than 6 years now.....longer than since Ireland has been here. What has he done to make those better ? He drafted Vonte & Sean and both appear to be less than stellar picks. His other picks there and his free agent signings on the 2ndary have been just about equally bad.

He has spent an awful lot of team capital building an offensive line, which right now looks like its just above average. With 2 first round draft picks and a high 2nd this OL should be an elite in the NFL. But they aren't more than "just above average". That is unacceptable, especially when you sacrifice WR and other playmaker positions in order to build your OL. That is crappy job of scouting. That is on your GM.

PERIOD.

32. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    And that's lazy and unnecessarily reductive. You have the means and information to come to an informed decision, it should be embarrassing rather than something you are proud of to choose not to.

Aqua4Ever04 and Two Tacos like this.
  33. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008

My support was results...

Your argument was blaming everyone besides Jeff. Your quest to defend Jeff is coming a screeching hault.

34. oakelmpine

oakelmpine New Member

Oct 16, 2012
    I could see him doing that, throwing Philbin under the bus......fits his personality.

35. jw3102

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    Since you are the stats man. Please tell me what other GM's are still with teams which have a sub 500 winning record for the past five years. The only one I can think of is Scott Pioli in KC, and he will be gone when this season is over. Quality NFL organizations don't stick with a losing GM, year after year. They eventually see where the problem lies and they get rid of the problem. This organizations problem is an inept GM. Hopefully Ross is starting to realize this.

oakelmpine likes this.
  36. jw3102

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    Unfortunately, so can I.

oakelmpine likes this.
  37. jw3102

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    I am beginning to wonder if Disgustipate isn't really a relative of Ireland's. That would be the only reason he could actually want him to remain the Dolphins GM. Of course he could also be a Jets fan who just likes to get on here and try to convince some weak minded Dolphin fans that Ireland really knows what he is doing. I wouldn't put it past those hateful Jets to put a trouble maker on this forum.:up:

Fin-Omenal likes this.
  38. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    We're not, and you can't justify the idea we are. We are quite likely to end up with two 1,000 yard receivers with a rookie quarterback.

Sean Smith has been playing like a good starting cornerback, and Reshad Jones deserves Pro Bowl consideration. Chris Clemons has been playing pretty well, and Ahmad Carroll has been playing above where you'd expect. The secondary overall has been pretty good. They've been inconsistent, and given up a lot of yardage, but they've also played quite well at times.

No, you actually look at the individual picks and think medium-hard about them.

The only "pick" you can really be all that critical of at this point is John Jerry, and while having Jimmy Graham would have been great, it was hardly a clear decision, and getting what looks like an average starting guard in the 3rd round isn't a failure.

39. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2012
    The coaching on this team was never an issue. The offense can't get into the endzone because they aren't good enough. That's on the GM.

oakelmpine likes this.
  40. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    Even if you put aside how stupid judging a GM by wins and losses is, a pretty much .500 record is not in any sense the damning indictment you think it is.