1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How is Ajayi ranked so low going into next year?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Rickysabeast, Jun 17, 2017.

1. Rickysabeast

Rickysabeast Royale With Cheese

Jul 26, 2016
    #9 https://www.profootballfocus.com/fantasy-football-rb-rankings/
    #6 http://www.sportingnews.com/fantasy...heat-sheet-rookies/1urr6ibwk8eyh12u9p7vbjsuqt
    #9 https://www.fantasypros.com/nfl/rankings/rb-cheatsheets.php
    #7 http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/05/20/...ers-david-johnson-leveon-bell-ezekiel-elliott

I DO NOT understand the disrespect being shown for Ajayi. I feel he's without question in the top three with Bell and Johnson. He's arguably the toughest runner in the league and gets more yards after contact than anyone else. The guy runs like he's literally crazed and on fire.

2. cbrad

cbrad .

Dec 21, 2014
    I think what some people don't like is his lack of consistency in terms of YPG. He ended overall 4th in YPG, but he had so many games with low rushing totals with a few great ones interspersed among them. So I can see how some people push him down because of that.

Personally, I don't see how you put a guy that had 3 games in the same season with 200+ yards and overall 4th YPG out of the top 5.

dolphin25, miamiron and thetylernator like this.
  3. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    Good. I want to draft him.

4. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Fantasy depends on consistency. You'd rather a guy 100 yards rushing and 1 td per game, than 200 yards rushing, and two TDs every other game even though at the end of the year you're at the same totals. Ajayi had a handful of fantastic games, but also a bunch of games where he didn't do much, especially down the stretch. And those games are playoff games for fantasy.

Now, if you are in the championship in your league, and your league plays in week 16, his 200 yard performance with a TD gets you 26 points and that likely helps you win it all. But before that, we're talking 50-80 yards a game for 6 games straight. And only one TD in that 6 game stretch.

So that doesn't help your fantasy team.

dolphin25 likes this.
  5. Finster

Finster Finsterious Finologist

Jul 27, 2013
    Jayjay's on field accomplishments didn't ring in fantasy as well, as Brad mentioned, bottom line is that if he was a starter for your team, he was a disappointment.

You only got 4 games of good fantasy production.

I expect him to be better this year, but I know where this is coming from.

6. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    His oline isn't that good at run blocking..without pouncey terrible

Last edited: Jun 17, 2017
    rafael likes this.
  7. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    They graded out above average in run blocking for the year....I'm so tired of hearing these kinds of generalizations.

If I said, "Tannehill wasn't that good last year, without Pouncey he was terrible"...the trolls would be screaming bloody murder. Yet the line graded out higher than Tannehill overall and we still hear this nonsense daily.

8. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    without pouncey they graded out above average?

Fin D likes this.
  9. btfu149

btfu149 Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    Specifically if we're talking fantasy, especially PPR leagues, Ajayi loses even more value. Still targeting him this year!

10. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I have Ajayi rated pretty highly on my fantasy list. I expect that he'll be used considerably more in the pass game and the points he gets there will really even out his consistency as a fantasy scorer. And he's already proven the ability to have a huge game at any given time.

But I understand the trepidation league-wide. We're a team with OL questions that didn't do much on paper to improve things this off-season. I'm more optimistic than most b/c I've always believed that OL play was more about having guys playing together than about dominating individual talent. I think that having Gase and the same system going into year 2 rather than year 1 will make a huge difference. That even if we have injuries that we'll have better depth that's able to play at a competent level. And speaking of injuries, I believe that Bushrod was injured and that he'll be better this year.

11. Rickysabeast

Jul 26, 2016
    Actually in my league he would get 36 points. 1 for every 10. Then 6 for td. Then bonus of 10 for a 200 yd game.

12. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

Not American. In fact, he will probably have to go back to England and build a wall between US and them. Or is it they and we?

13. Fin-O

Fin-O Initiated Club Member

Sep 28, 2015
    Got to display consistency.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. dirtylandry

dirtylandry Well-Known Member

Aug 2, 2015
    The entire Miami offense is under the radar. I can't say I don't blame the statisticians. Miami was what, 24th in offense, without a splash? They were even worse, 29th,on defense, without a splash. The media loves splashes. They love teams that trade up. We know internally what we have, but we have been wrong for so long, the media would rather side on caution. The media would rather get burned than to give Miami or its players any street cred. Becareful what you wish for, because it is best to fly under the radar

15. Simon

Simon The Other English Simon Club Member

Mar 28, 2014
    London
    I don't see any problem with any of those rankings. He's in Tier 2 along with Jordan Howard, LeSean McCoy and Melvin Gordon. All the tier 2 RBs have question marks - whether it's age (McCoy), only one good season under their belt (Gordon), the team having no passing game (Howard), etc. Ajayi has an unproven interior line in front of him, consistency issues (as someone has already highlighted) and an injury question mark (which may or may not be a red herring): he's definitely not tier 1. You could make a case for him as RB4 or equally as strong a case for RB8.

16. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    He was also one of the most stuffed RBs in the league. Not blaming him, could be blocking, but fantasy doesn't care about blame, only results.

17. Two Tacos

Two Tacos Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 24, 2007
    Graded by whom? I really question those grades. We are talking about a unit that had people fired during the season for cause.

18. VanDolPhan

VanDolPhan Club member Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    I would question those rankings considering Ajayi ranked near the top of the league for getting hit in the backfield. Hence the amazing broken tackles and yards after contact numbers.

19. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    The people you're accusing of potentially reacting that way, have said exactly that, We say Thill needed good olinemen to play better, literally for years.

All we do is remind you guys that with Pouncey, Albert and James playing we were like 8-1.

This is precisely why I get angry....you guys just have no idea what we've been talking about then accuse us of all kinds crazy stuff when our message has been simple and consistent for the vast majority of Thill's career.

If you genuinely want the board to improve...then stop arguing and pay attention and really understand what you and the others have been arguing against all this time.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
  20. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    First off, this conversation was about run blocking. Our offensive line graded out well in that category. DJ said the run blocking was bad. I did listen, and then I responded to his comment directly. And as you can see, others responded after that....we were still talking about football here.

Then here you come with the personal attacks saying that everyone need to listen to you more. I understand what you've been saying about Tannehill- EVERYONE gets it because you attack people over it on a daily basis. We just don't all agree with you.

And if you can't respect that, then I don't know what else there is to say.

Fin-O and jdang307 like this.
  21. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Stop!

You, Keyfin, said:
    If I said, "Tannehill wasn't that good last year, without Pouncey he was terrible"...the trolls would be screaming bloody murder.

1. We do, in fact, believe Pouncey helps Thill play better. Along with Albert and James. We have said so for years. It has literally been our main argument.
    2. Because of the quote & #1, it proves you don't understand the argument that you and the others have been arguing against for years. An argument that is responsible for a lot of the bad blood here.
    3. You, keyfin, are the one that brought Thill up.
    4. You, keyfin, are the one that got angry and spouted off angrily and insulted because you disagreed with a point.
    5. You DO need to listen but you DON'T need to agree. You do need to listen more so you at least understand the argument you're opposing, which you clearly do not, as #1 & #2 have proven.

Someone made a point, you didn't like it, so you made an angry accusation at a portion of the board that entirely mischaracterizes what they've been saying for years, and you do all of that while PMing me with self-righteous indignation about how I do all those things.

So again, agree or disagree, I don't care, but at least understand the argument and stop telling people they ruin things while doing X, all while you're doing X yourself and that will go a long way towards fixing things. You do those two things and I'll stop 'cursing with *" and posting angry. Deal?

That is all.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2017
  22. Finster

Finster Finsterious Finologist

Jul 27, 2013
    You're using w/l record to show us how good RT is when he has good OL play, but you are also the guy who keeps on saying that w/l record is a team stat, not a QB stat, so you are actually contradicting yourself there.

The second half of your post basically says, you get angry, and the board would get better if we all just realized that your opinion is actually fact.

See, I think you would get less angry, and the board would improve if you could admit that, your's is just an opinion, and it's possible you MIGHT be wrong, because that is the actual truth, it's an opinion, and hence can be wrong.

To be clear, I'm not saying your opinion is wrong, I'm just saying, it's an opinion, subject to all things opinions are subject to.

jdang307 and Fin-O like this.
  23. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    That's not what I was saying at all.

I'm saying agree or disagree, but understand the argument being made. His post showed he clearly doesn't understand the argument that has been made. I don't care if he agrees or disagrees as long they at least understand the argument being made. So yes, he and many others need to listen more, but not to agree but rather understand the argument. BTW, the post you quoted very clearly states this, which again, proves you guys aren't really paying attention to what the other side actually says.

I was inarticulate when I made the post you're referring to in regards to the record. That part isn;t anyone's fault but mine. I didn't complete my thought. If Thill had had Pouncey, Albert & James starting for more than 9 games over a few years, our record would be different and people wouldn't be blasting Thill. As I and numerous others have been saying, having a crap oline has killed Thill's effectiveness because the two biggest tools to fight that bad oline are a commitment to the run and being able to audible.

I have no problem admitting I like to argue. I have no problem admitting I'm often aggressive in doing so. I do, however, have a problem, when people like yourself act like I never admit my stance is an opinion all the while you don't either. That is hypocrisy. You post your opinions, takes, stances all the time and you don;t really argue them as if they are an opinion but instead as if they are fact. Most people on this forum do that. Calling me out for what most people who post in forums do, including yourself, is hypocritical.

eltos_lightfoot likes this.
  24. Rickysabeast

Jul 26, 2016
    Well Pro Football Focus has him as #2 rushing back behind only Bell. Can't share a link as I have a subscription. Overall they have him as #3 RB. I'm good with hat seeing as they are the ones without their heads up their asses.

25. Rickysabeast

Jul 26, 2016
    Have you rever noticed that you are at the epicenter of every argument that throws a thread spiraling out of control? Why don't you start your own threads and argue there? It's hard enough to make conversation this time of year, don't need you pissing in everyone's cheerios because you just can't get along.

jdang307, Fin-O and KeyFin like this.
  26. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    No I'm not.

27. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    Yup, I debated something that DJ said. Notice though, I didn't attack DJ. I didn't say he was stupid or didn't belong here. I didn't call him names. I just challenged his post because I have respect for him- even if we disagreed. Big difference.

Like I said, I was talking about football. You keep talking about other members and trying to make things personal. Very big difference.

jdang307 and Fin-O like this.
  28. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    No, you called people who defend Thill, trolls. And you did it because you misunderstand the entirety of the Thill defense argument and during a discussion that had nothing to do with Thill at all.

I guess this means you aren't willing to make the deal I offered?

29. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    That's your argument. I understand your argument. I listened. Try to remember that as you read my reply so there aren't any misunderstandings. Let's talk football only.

Here's why I have a problem with your viewpoint- Name one starting quarterback in the NFL that wouldn't put up better numbers with a better offensive line.

I'm not saying the line didn't suck at times. I'm not saying that the coaching wasn't a joke. All of that is true...it's basically a fact in my opinion. But that doesn't mean a QB gets unlimited "do-overs" while those problems get fixed. We've cut/traded/benched 13 quarterbacks over the last 15 years and almost every single one of them were also behind a bad line, stuck with a lousy head coach, etc.

In my opinion, Philbin was nowhere near the worst we had- Sparano was far more frustrating with 100% running plays with 2 quarters left to play because we had a 3 point lead. And Henne showed tons of potential to really light up the field, it wasn't a lack of talent that got him traded (or got Sparano fired). Very few were rallying around him though saying that if he only had an offensive line and a coach with some brains, he could be a franchise QB.

Not only could Henne not audible, he couldn't even throw a freaking pass in the 2nd half if we had the lead.

I like both Tannehill and Moore- I always have. But if they're not putting wins on the board, then you can place only so much of the blame on their surrounding pieces. Maybe it is the line's fault at times (like week's 3-5 last year) and maybe the receivers were a letdown (Marshall taking plays off, Hartline only able to run two routes, etc.). In a win-now league though, the quarterback takes a good bit of the blame since he's taking the snaps and moving the ball around.

Plain and simple, we judge quarterbacks two ways- by wins and by productivity. Last year was Tannehill's first winning season out of five years, and his overall rating has placed him in the bottom 2/3rds of the pack (across his career). That's just not good enough when we've overhauled the entire offensive line, the receiving corps, etc. Henne's numbers were similar before we did all of that stuff.

Once again, I understand what you're saying- I just don't believe it's a valid excuse after five seasons. Last year was incredible and maybe Tannehill has truly turned the corner (I personally think he has anyway), but I'm still going to judge him on a week by week basis off of the same two criteria- wins and productivity. So even though I really like the guy as a person and a QB, I'm going to be asking for changes in year six if the offense isn't getting the job done.

That's because my opinion changes weekly though based on what I see right now...that's how coaches judge talent because it's how teams stay competitive in the NFL. I'm not thinking about 2012 or 2016 at all- my focus is always on production from this Sunday and how it gets us ready for next Sunday.

Please note- I haven't called you any names. I was respectful and only talked about football. I did not call your ideas stupid. I didn't bring up things you've said in the past. I just listened and then shared my opinion in as much detail as I could, so you can understand me as well. Let's see if you can extend the same courtesy.

jdang307, Fin-O and Steve-Mo like this.
  30. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    You didn't call anyone names?

31. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    I write out 10 paragraphs trying to take your "olive branch"...and that's all you got from it? I don't think there's anything more that needs to be said except this-

troll
    One who posts a deliberately provocative message to a newsgroup or message board with the intention of causing maximum disruption and argument.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=troll

Rickysabeast, Fin-O and Steve-Mo like this.
  32. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Ok.

Cool definition.

Are you saying you weren't calling people trolls?

33. Fin-O

Sep 28, 2015

End/debates

jdang307 likes this.
  34. Fin-O

Sep 28, 2015
    Im still waiting on this majestical list of Qb's who could and could not audible in the NFL..

Can someone post a link!! :chuckle:

35. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    I'm saying that you need to stop trolling- and then people can stop referring to you as a troll. It's funny how everyone on this site knows exactly who is being talked about when someone uses the word.

It has NOTHING TO DO with people defending Tannehill and EVERYTHING TO DO with attacking others to sabotage the forums.

Rickysabeast and Fin-O like this.
  36. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    So I'm clear, you called me (and other Thill supporters) trolls, even though I had nothing to do with this discussion at that point. Then you claim you didn't insult anyone, but then admit you did insult me.

All while accusing me of doing those things?

Put me on ignore, I'm done.

37. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    If you don't want to be labeled a troll, then stop going out of your way to hijack every thread where people you don't like post. This is about the 10th thread this week alone you've stopped football conversations to attack people and start arguments. Since it breaks the website's terms of use, hopefully this problem is solved in the near future.

I'm not going to ignore you anymore though- feel free to keep attacking people and hijacking threads with this nonsense. I want to make sure that I have a front row seat to wave goodbye.

Triggercut and Fin-O like this.
  38. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    You attacked me and other people who support Thill. You called us trolls. You did that. No one provoked it. You did it all on your own. You did it in the 7th post of this thread. In posts 1-6, no one said anything about any poster, no one insulted anyone. Then you went ahead and called people trolls for a made up reason.

39. Fin-O

Sep 28, 2015
    Fantastic and factual post.

That will more than likely fall upon deaf ears.

KeyFin likes this.