1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hooking up sound to an xbox 360.

Discussion in 'Questions and Answers' started by TiP54, Sep 3, 2010.

1. TiP54

TiP54 Bad Reputation

Nov 25, 2007
    Live from the Internet.
    I normally play PC games. My gpu fried so while waiting on it to be delivered, I found a 360 that was left at my house by one of my friends. Since I don't have a TV in my room, I plugged it in to my monitor. Now I know that usually it requires a VGA cable to hook up a 360 to a monitor, but my monitor has av slots, so I am able to run it in full 1080p thanks to the blue and green AV cables. My problem is that I can't figure out how get audio. Any suggestions?

2. TrueDolFan

TrueDolFan Minion of Satan

Jun 17, 2008
    Twin Cities, MN
    You say your monitor has av slots, I think you mean that it accepts RGB (red, green, and blue) component video RCA plugs.

Plugging the 360's grey, color-striped RCA plugs into those takes care of the video part.

Does your monitor have audio RCA inputs (white and red)? If it does, then all you should have to do is plug the corresponding solid white and red audio RCA plugs into your monitor, and you'll have sound.

If it doesn't, and all you have is the standard lime green 3.5mm audio jack, you'll need an adapter like this one: http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?sku=A0743338&cs=04&c=us&l=en&dgc=SS&cid=52102&lid=1342490

The only other option would be to plug the audio RCA cables into an external stereo that has RCA inputs.

3. TheAnswer385

TheAnswer385 Stay Low Run Free

Jan 7, 2008
    PA
    If you post a picture it could clear things up