1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Holes at the Holes

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by cobrajet, Apr 19, 2010.

Tags:
  1. cobrajet

cobrajet Mr. Ross - sell the team!

Jan 12, 2010
    Ireland said something very interesting last time he addressed the media with his poker face. He said "there are only so many big guys walking the earth" (paraphrased)

NT's are rare and there are a few good slabs of beef in this draft so I look for an NT (or other misc linemen) to be taken early and often. Soliai is a puzzle and Ferguson is suspended and aged. Little doubt remains in my mind what we will take early.

I also feel that LB and S will also be addressed in quantity as the draft wears on.

cobrajet likes this.
  2. Wildcat23

Wildcat23 Here kitty kitty

Nov 9, 2009
    Im feeling a 4th rounder for NT.

TheMarshall likes this.
  3. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    Ireland was simply expressing the basic "planet theory" which I believe this F.O. follows, but other than Odrick in the 1st or Cam Thomas in the 2nd or 3rd (if we move down, get more picks, etc.), I don't see a NT until later in the draft (4th and on).

4. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    jeff owens in the 6th round is my call

rafael likes this.
  5. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Starting NT suspended 8 weeks, need at least 2 LBs who can start right away as well. Lost a nickle CB, and still need a FS who can start. We've got holes in different area codes.

TheMarshall, CaribPhin and Agua like this.
  6. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    We get Will Allen back from Injury, so we def don't need another cb this year.

As for the LB spot, i'd say we need one. Wake/Anderson will be fine for one of the spots.

NT is certainly a weak spot, but nothings as weak as Safety.

7. FinFan316

FinFan316 Banned

Apr 3, 2010
    My advice would be to try to get two of the four positions totally squared away with the draft. Try to bring in two NTs and two or three OLBs. Of those guys, find the guys that can play this year to help us. That means at FS and RG we are going to have to fill either from in-house or UDFA. But instead of trying to shotgun it, I wouldn't mind if we drafted Dan Williams and Jeff Owens. Get the two or three best OLBs with the other picks. In the seventh, use those pick on any guys you think can come in and compete, possibly at KR/PR. We filled major needs with Dansby and Marshall. We have still have good competition at WR to find the five best.

I keep repeating, as the Saints showed last year...you dont have to be great at every position on defense. You have to be "good enough".

8. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

Cobra, sounds like more dribble a week before the draft than anything else to me. Everyone knows that our deepest hole is at OLB. Afterall, do you think Moses/Anderson on one side and Wake on the other is very comforting ?? Not to me...

It's most likely that Odrick, Suh and McCoy will be gone by #12. Williams is next on the list and really is a 2 down guy, possessing little pass rushing skills at all. I see them looking for a guy to spell Soliai in the 4th round with someone like Owens from Ga Tech (i think)...JMO, but for sure, OLB is the weakest position on the team and with no 2nd round pick it could be tough to pass up one of the guys who would be available at 12 (Morgan, Kindle, Hughes, JPP, Graham, etc)...

9. LandShark13

LandShark13 New Member

Oct 20, 2009
    North Miami
    Jeff said the same exact thing after last years draft.

10. brparkway

brparkway Season Ticket Holder

Dec 16, 2007
    Roanoke, VA. U.S.
    Unless they draft one to convert to safety, which I've heard some of the "gurus" mention as a possibility.

11. Agua

Agua Reality: Try It!

Apr 28, 2008
    Easier said than done. That would be a remarkable draft to find two rookie starters out of the gate who are improvements over even journeymen vets.

Saints did it with freakishly timely turnovers.

12. late again

late again Senior Member

Nov 24, 2007
    I agree without a doubt. Ireland also let something "slip" right before their first draft mentioning the importance of needing that first pick of the draft to be someone who would anchor our defense for years.
    And then we drafted Jake Long

13. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

[​IMG]

14. cobrajet

cobrajet Mr. Ross - sell the team!

Jan 12, 2010
    Taylor Mays should have been born an OLB because his hip mechanics are terrible in M.O.M.C, but he is a splendid physical specimen and hits hard. Any team needing to fill both positions would be smart to get him because of his dual purpose potential, but not at 12. If he flunks out at S he could be used well at OLB.

I expect a 90% defensive draft with multiple picks at LB, S, NT DE (maybe DE). We have a ton of picks in this draft especially late so every position will be covered well. As for #12, I have no idea, and neither do the Dolphins until #11 is picked. Time will tell as we fill holes at the holes and much more.

You guys are probably right: no one could bust their way through Jeff Ireland's draft disinformation.

15. FinFan316

FinFan316 Banned

Apr 3, 2010
    The rookies don't have to start...they have to contribute. As a matter of fact, we had two rookie starting at CB last year. Its not unheard of.

The Saints did it. Somehow, someway, a way less than perfect defense found a way to be good enough.

I think it can be done.