1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Highly Respected Mike Lombardi Shares His Thoughts

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by alen1, Sep 17, 2008.

1. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I really respect his opinion and always look forward to what he says. I even take notes lol. Mike Lombardi talked about the secondary's play, a simple way to be successful in the 34 defense and if they are building this team the right way.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/2008/09/national-football-post-diner-news-19/

anlgp, Larryfinfan, PMZQ and 3 others like this.
  2. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    we need real linebackers. we currently have zero.

3. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    That is the reason I think Selvie will be our pick. It could change if another linebacker emerges for us but I really think OLB will be our number one pick. Nice find btw

4. Tone_E

Tone_E Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    I had mentioned that our backers aren't creating any pressure, and the counter argument was that our secondary wasn't giving them the time to do so. It's the chiken or the egg thing.

We are headed in the right direction, I believe. Patience is a virtue. I just want to stop questioning the player selection. That will only happen when we see Ginn and J.Allen on the field, or we start winning with whoever.

5. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I've read several posts today in the Club Level about the draft and taking Selvie. Some, including me, think that he can be a good player outside but some think that he is strictly a Defensive End. I also think that we go with an OLB with the top pick. I look at it and I wonder, who else is the option there? We're likely going to be picking in the top six and I don't know if there is a better prospect than Selvie. Maualuga is a inside 'backer but I have a lot of questions about him. I have questions about Selvie too, every player in the draft obviously but I like Selvie's work ethic, explosiveness and I think that he's very coachable. If you don't want him outside, you can always get him to put on weight and move Merling outside. You made a great point the other day talking about the metabolism and how it could help him once he hits a certain age. I think you said it was 25.

I look at Maualuga and he's hitting the wrong holes, he's playing too reckless for me and he's out of position at times. I watched Maualuga videos and he likes to read the Quarterbacks eyes a lot. In the Illinois bowl game, he did that very often with Juice Williams whose not a good passer and doesn't look off his receivers well imo. I think a good QB can take Maualuga out of the play and/or out of his zone.

The guy I would like defensively other than Selvie right now is Michael Jenkins. I'm not high on Michael Johnson really and Maualuga worries me.

6. gafinfan

gafinfan gunner Club Member

I agree but I keep thinking "Wheres the plan", other than its a 3/4 defense. Do they not have a plan to make it work. It's one thing to say we will do something, which is a good thing, but something else when you see things happen that should have been fixed in preseason. This is why I'm questioning the coaching staff. I'm more than willing to be Patient but not to the extent that the staff appears to be reacting rather than acting. Sorry.:wink2:

7. RealDriscoll

RealDriscoll Banned

Jan 9, 2008
    Wow Rey Maualuga worries you? He worries me if I play RB for Ohio State. The guy is the best player in the draft.

Akin Ayodele has been more than decent for us this year.

8. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Yeah, I have questions about him, just like every other player. Like I said in the CL, he's my third option behind Selvie and Jenkins at the moment.

9. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    i think you might be onto something with Rey Rey, ive been tootin his horn since last year but the more i watch the more i fall in love with brian cushing.

Alen, i really dont think we just have to focus on outsidebacker, i think a middle backer is just as important, someone like zach who is always around the ball, cushing is always around the ball and he is a beast of athletisism, you can do many things with his talents.

Cant wait for real film on those two.

10. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    I think you hit on why Selvie will be at the top of our radar. Who else can get that type of pressure from the edge? I figure we will pick anywhere from 5 to 10. We're not the worst team out there. Thank God for the Rams and Chiefs. Plus I think we'll start to gell at some point and the second half schedule is pretty easy so getting 5 wins isnt that far fetched. I feel Selvie is the floor and if a better prospect shows up, great! We'l take him. Jenkins or Davis would be the CB picks if we go that direction. I think there's a 20% chance we take CB. BTW have you or anyone else seen CB Glover Quinn from New Mexico. I think he's probably a 5th rounder but man he had a game for the ages against Arizona. Might be a good 2nd day pick for us

11. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Cushing sounds like he can be a very good player in this league but I don't know about taking him top six. I think that's too early for him at the moment. If he continues to play as well as he is now, his draft stock will go up. He could be considered a top ten choice after the NCAA season. He certainly has the size to play at a high level. He's 6'4, 255 and runs a 4.5. I've heard him being better suited in a 43 defense though but I can't comment on that since I'm not sure about it. I, honestly, haven't seen much film on Cushing and saw him play only a couple times including the OSU game but I've heard a lot about him and I'm hoping to get around to watching film on him in the next few months leading up to the draft.

And I certainly agree with you that we don't have to focus on the OLB spot in the draft but I think that's what we will be looking at first. Cushing (possibly) and Selvie are definitely guys to look at. After looking outside, I think we have to look at the Cornerback spot. Malcolm Jenkins is going to be a very good player imo. It may be too early of an pick to take Jenkins but with our need, I think you have to take him if you don't like the first two guys on the board.

12. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Yeah, I'm looking at five wins this season for us.

That's the positive for us if we draft in the top parts of the draft imo. On draft day, if you end up with a better prospect than Selvie falling into your laps, then its a win/win situation.

I haven't seen Quinn of New Mexico but I'll try to find something on him. Thanks for the name. One guy that I really like right now is Dominique Johnson out of Jackson State. I've brought his name up several times but I think he can be a real player. One of the bigger CB's out there and has the athleticism and instincts. He had five interceptions for Jackson State a year ago and was originally a Missouri prospect who ended up transferring. Another name to keep an eye on is Sherrod Martin of Troy. Martin could be a develop-type of guy. He's 6'1, 193 and runs a 4.4 at the FS spot. Right now, he's projected as a player who will go undrafted. I think he could be a nice pickup as a UDFA if he was to go undrafted. Also, Michael Mitchell of Ohio. I haven't seen video on him but I've read that he's a good in-the-box Safety. He's 6 foot at 218 lbs and runs a 4.41.

adamprez2003 likes this.
  13. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    Ayodele has issues with getting washed out of the play, filling the wrong hole or sharing the problem with crowder that he isn't as instinctive on the inside as I would like. Both players allow the play to develop too far before filling the hole. The play needs to unfold a lot more than need be with some more instinctive LB's. Also neither is especially adept at shedding blockers which does hurt us.

The LB's particularly don't apply pressure well, and that leaves us in a lurch in the secondary. Crowder isn't a great blitzer, and never was. Ayodele was better on the outside but he is better than Crowder. Honestly, our LB's need a great deal of help - we have Matt Roth at OLB, that should say a great deal.

I wouldn't mind Clint Sintim (Virginia) being moved to the inside, he can blitz stacks and sheds well and has the size to fill the hole. Or, just leave him at the SOLB spot and see how he does.

alen1 likes this.
  14. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    exactly what I was saying in terms of the season, and that's that we will be much better in December then we are now. I'm expecting us to really struggle in the first half of the season while everyone within the organization is on the learn. It's a process people, and I think by the end of the season you will see how we gradually improved as the season went along.

15. ElCajonJeff71

ElCajonJeff71 Junior Member

Apr 25, 2008
    If you really think we will pick between 5-10 then please tell me who are the 4-9 worse teams than us??? I can't believe there are people who actually think this team can win more than 1 or 2 games !!!!!

16. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Just read up on Quin, still didn't watch video though. He's probably not going to get drafted according to NFLdraftscout.com. It may be because of his injuries. He has durability issues, suffering a torn and bruised muscle, groin injury and a couple other things. They say he's good in run support, has improved since he came to NM and I read up on the game against Arizona. Had eight tackles, an INT, two pass break-ups and a fumble recovery. Sounds like he's around the ball often. He runs a 4.5.

I'm interested in Wopamo Osaisai from Stanford. Compares favorably to Courtland Finnegan (stature-wise) who was a 7th rounder. Osaisai seems to be a higher pick though. I see you have him in your mock. Thoughts on him? The other guy is D.J. Clark out of Idaho St. Clark is 6'1, 200 and runs a 4.45. He had four picks and returned two for TD's. Hopefully I can get more info on him and watch video/film.

adamprez2003 likes this.
  17. PMZQ

PMZQ Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    Miami, FL
    Trust us, we all have seen this team look worse than last years team. If we win 5 it will be nothing short of a miracle. 2 or 3 is more realistic, and 0-1 is a real possibility.

18. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Its about identifying the player that we think will benefit in our system,trading down a little and still getting your player in the first is very appealing to me..

19. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    trading down isnt always an option. you have to have a desperate team like the jaguars that is willing to give up the sink.

20. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    Well the Rams are the worst team Ive seen this year followed closely by the Chiefs. Raiders, Browns, Ravens, Bengals, Falcons, Seahawks, 49ers are all teams that we could eventually end up better than.

21. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    Great speed, plays the ball well and likes to hit. Probably a 2nd or 3rd rounder from the mocks Ive seen so far.

alen1 likes this.
  22. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Rams, Chiefs, Raiders, Falcons, 49ers, potentially Browns, potentially Ravens, potentially Bengals, potentially Texans, potentially Lions.

23. PMZQ

PMZQ Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    Miami, FL
    Until we win a game, I can't say we are any better than them, and in many ways, we look worse than we did at this time last year.

Do you think this team would be able to take Washington to OT this year ? I don't think so. :pity:

24. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Sounds a lot like Finnegan of Tennessee. Thanks.

25. Regan21286

Regan21286 MCAT's, EMT's, AMCAS, ugh

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    A little late to this thread but I am definitely not high on Osaisai. Horrible coverage and really just can't handle the passing game. He can tackle sure but huge cushions given to WR's and 0 to little ball skills. Not to mention out of position very often. He can run but it's useless when the WR still gets separation. Stanford has one of the worse pass Ds in the country and he's a part of why. Anytime a Juco QB like Craft manages to fare well against your passing D, that's never a good sign.

alen1 likes this.
  26. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    LOL. How did you manage to find this thread when it was buried in the back?

Either way, I'm very glad you found it because I want to learn more about Osaisai. That doesn't sound good at all. What I wonder though is if he's that poor in coverage, why is he a possible 2 round pick?

27. Regan21286

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    Got kinda bored after the game, lol.

I would think he's a potential pick only due to his speed, tackling, and size. Maybe he could move to safety where his coverage lackings are minimized but this guy got burned by a bad offense and just has not shown he deserves to be out there on passing downs.

28. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Lol. Interesting. You and Adam seem to have different opinions on Osaisai. You say he barely has ball skills, if any, while Adam says that he plays the ball well. Who knows? Maybe it was just a bad day or Adam watched all the right tape?

29. Regan21286

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    lol, we have different opinions on him and Henne but we both agree that Mauia and Donnie Jones are the best superhumans on the planet :up:. I'm guessing he saw some of last year's tape against $C. All the things I'm seeing this entire season suggests bad ball skills and poor coverage so I don't think it was just a bad day. It's been going on all season and Stanford's passing D is suffering.

alen1 likes this.