1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hi. Just got banned from finheaven.com

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Redemption, Jun 17, 2017.

1. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Hey, just like the old testament then.

As for Christian morals, anyone who needs the promise of a life after death or the threat of burning in a literal hell for eternity to be a good person, is a pretty damned sorry excuse for a human being.

2. Irishman

Irishman Active Member

Oct 16, 2017
    High Point, NC
    I appreciate this clarifier. It is consistent with what I see coming from news sources more interested in getting some kind of shocking headline rather then letting the actual information come through unmodified.

3. Irishman

Irishman Active Member

Oct 16, 2017
    High Point, NC
    I believe in nature; others call it God.

MrClean likes this.
  4. danmarino

danmarino Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Sep 4, 2014

"
    Well, yes, we do need to name more, because while clearly there were wars that had religion as the prime cause, an objective look at history reveals that those killed in the name of religion have, in fact, been a tiny fraction in the bloody history of human conflict. In their recently published book, “Encyclopedia of Wars,” authors Charles Phillips and Alan Axelrod document the history of recorded warfare, and from their list of 1763 wars only 123 have been classified to involve a religious cause, accounting for less than 7 percent of all wars and less than 2 percent of all people killed in warfare. While, for example, it is estimated that approximately one to three million people were tragically killed in the Crusades, and perhaps 3,000 in the Inquisition, nearly 35 million soldiers and civilians died in the senseless, and secular, slaughter of World War 1 alone.

History simply does not support the hypothesis that religion is the major cause of conflict. The wars of the ancient world were rarely, if ever, based on religion. These wars were for territorial conquest, to control borders, secure trade routes, or respond to an internal challenge to political authority. In fact, the ancient conquerors, whether Egyptian, Babylonian, Persian, Greek, or Roman, openly welcomed the religious beliefs of those they conquered, and often added the new gods to their own pantheon. "

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/rabbi-alan-lurie/is-religion-the-cause-of-_b_1400766.html

5. Slk018

Slk018 New Member

Aug 21, 2018
    Looks like the thread isnt dead and irrelevant..LOL

eltos_lightfoot and Ohiophinphan like this.
  6. Ohiophinphan

Ohiophinphan Chaplain Staff Member Luxury Box

You have resuscitated a monster! :confused1::lol:

7. RevRick

RevRick Long Haired Leaping Gnome Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Itsnotevenonthemap, GA
    Not if we all keep our wits about us... Including me!
    Being a military history afficianado as well as a (now retired) ordained minister seems a rather odd concatenation of mental exertions... but.. From what I have read, I concur with danmarino... almost all of the wars have had as their root an egotistical leader parading an economic base before the populace (either his or the one he wished to subjugate.) Even Hitler started his attempt at world domination seeking 'lebensraum' (I believe it is spelled) for the Aryan race. That was a bit of a fabrication (ahem!) on his part - but it became the same which has led to most wars - personal power of a tyrant seeking a tyrant's version of grandeur - domination and raw power.

8. Jt0323

Jt0323 Fins Up! Luxury Box

Dec 7, 2007
    Las Vegas
    its crazy that its been that long. Wow time flies. I joined in 2004 when i was 15. Known some of you for almost 15 years already... wow