1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hey, young whippersnappers; help a 40 year old understand something, will ya?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by charlestonphan, May 16, 2009.

1. charlestonphan

charlestonphan Junior Member

Mar 22, 2008
    why do many people wear baseball hats with the bill completely straight now?

i notice this in particular, with New Era MLB hats. i know this has been popular among the rap/hip hop crowd for some time, but why?

it just looks all out funny to me, because until you put a little bend in the brim, those hats do not fit right, or form to your head, they make people look like a conehead from saturday night live fame.

seeing it in the mall is one thing, but now i see several MLB players and college baseball players with the flat brim look.

bonus points to the person who can help me understand the point of leaving the big sticker on top of a New Era hats bill that tells what size the hat is.

thanks in advance, loungers, for bringing an old geezer up to speed! :up:

2. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    For the same reason you old guys wear black socks and shorts....:shifty:

3. Colorado Dolfan

Colorado Dolfan ...dirty drownin' man?

...because both are totally stupid to do? I guess I can see that... :pointlol:

4. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    Old guys can have the "swagger" too.

[​IMG]

Fin D likes this.
  5. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Can't help you man, I think it looks dumb too.

6. Lt Dan

Lt Dan Season Ticket Holder

Mar 23, 2008
    Eglin AFB, Fl
    I think it looks dumb as well. to each his own though

7. dolfan06

dolfan06 New Member

May 19, 2008
    Arkansas
    wearing a baseball hat backwards or cocked to the side looks pretty lame to me. what the hay, what do i know, i've been creasing mine and wearing it forward for over 55 years.

Fin-Omenal likes this.
  8. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

I just don't understand the sticker :dunno:

Wear your hat whichever way you please (forward for me, thanks) but the sticker is stupid.

charlestonphan and Fin D like this.
  9. pocoloco

pocoloco I'm your huckleberry Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    North Chicagoland
    cause it looks brand new, and since you wear brand new things, you must have cash

opfinistic and GISH like this.
  10. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    i wear my hat like that......its more comfortable imo.....and looks better.....just a style

[​IMG]

charlestonphan and 54Fins like this.
  11. 54Fins

54Fins "In Gase we trust"

Nov 29, 2007
    over there
    It's just fad,my friend.I'm sure by next baseball season it will be something else.
    The sticker thing? I can't explain.I'm old like you..:pity:
    There are people I work with that leave the tag on their boots until it falls off.

charlestonphan likes this.
  12. 54Fins

54Fins "In Gase we trust"

Nov 29, 2007
    over there

You "ARE" stylin',bro. :knucks:

charlestonphan and SICK like this.
  13. TheHighExhaulted

TheHighExhaulted Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Fitted hats are supposed to be like that.

Brown42000 likes this.
  14. Jt0323

Jt0323 Fins Up! Luxury Box

Dec 7, 2007
    Las Vegas
    I personally hate the sticker thing and i dont care for the straight brim. I like my brim with a bend to it. Thats why i can't stand MLB hats because their hats are horrible to bend. Their brims are terrible.

15. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    turn it a little to the side and it fits great. sometimes i wear my hat inside out.

16. UCF FINatic

UCF FINatic The Miami Dolphins select

Apr 17, 2008
    rally cap?

17. anlgp

no it doesn't.

late again and Motion like this.
  18. phinnhedd

phinnhedd Reality.

Oct 10, 2008
    Port Saint Lucie, FL
    i think they keep the sticker on so they can take it back and get a new hat next week.

19. Brown42000

Brown42000 Chillin

Nov 24, 2007
    RI
    I wear it like that too. Matter of preference and the type of environment you live in definitely plays a part. At school if someone would show up with a hat that had a folded brim they would never hear the end of it. I think it looks a little better but they aren't meant to be worn for recreation or work imo its to go with what your wearing. Its a style.

charlestonphan and SICK like this.
  20. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Just a style, like others said. My hair is shaggy so baseball caps don't really go well for me. However when I had short hair, I wore a hat backwards mainly because it felt more comfortable... Unless of course my objective was to get the sun out of my eyes...

I'm really not a fan of the straight brim though... However I agree with Sick, it is more comfortable to wear your hat the way he does if you don't fold the brim...

21. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    its a pretty silly look, imo. in fairness, those hats have crappy brims that dont bend well, but thats not an excuse for not buying a hat with a better brim

guys who wear their hats tilted to the side dont realize that walking around like that sets off the douchebag alarm to everyone else around them. maybe its better that way

22. charlestonphan

charlestonphan Junior Member

Mar 22, 2008
    thanks for the responses... up next is my popped collar thread. j/k

:)

23. dolfan06

dolfan06 New Member

May 19, 2008
    Arkansas
    kinda looks like you were loaded and in a hurry when you put your hat on as you went out the door!

24. cnc66

cnc66 wiley veteran, bad spelur Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    he's got it pulled down tight.. it's the shape of his punkin' head that makes it sit like that... maybe :shifty:

[​IMG]

anlgp, Colorado Dolfan and SICK like this.
  25. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    i was loaded......but in no hurry.....i was actually laughing hysterically before and after the picture....but got serious for the flash haha....

and yes marty.....my head looks that way :lol:

cnc66 likes this.
  26. The G Man

The G Man Git 'r doooonnne!!!

Mar 18, 2009
    Same reason they wear their pants hanging down so low their underwear (and, in some cases, even more than that) is showin'. They think it looks cool now. But, one day, maybe twenty years from now, they'll look back at a picture of themselves dressed like they are, or wearing a baseball cap as you've described, and they'll ask themselves "why in the hell did I do that? I looked like such an idiot!" And...they'll be right.

I know I've looked back at some of the fashion statements I made as a teenager, or a young man, and thought the same of myself. But, truthfully...I tried to do my own thing. I tried to be my own person. I never really followed the crowd, or tried to emulate what was "in" at the time. And, to me...that's a big difference.

Many of today's fashion statements are simply too, well...too stupid to follow IMO. Yet, many do. Whether it's wearing your pants hanging so low your a** is hanging out, or wearing a baseball hat that makes you look like your head is too big for your body, I just can't imagine doing something, so well...stupid. But, hey...that's JMHO.

Coral Reefer likes this.
  27. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    i know for myself.....i got into wearing my hat that way around 2003 (i was 16) because i absolutely loved watching dontrelle willis pitch for the marlins......my favorite player....and he wore his hat like that.....and i played ball....so when i did, i wore my hat like him as well. and it has stuck.....i don't even think about it anymore.....when i throw a cap on.....thats how i wear it....its 2nd nature. and honestly i could care less about how people "look at me" cause its my style....its comfortable for me....and iam fine with it. i am sure there are plenty of flaws on everybody in here with their "style" to each his own :up:

28. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I'm 35.

I will never complain about a clothes fad, because like G-man said, I've looked back and thought, what the hell was I thinking.

What I don't understand, is how older folk, who've worn stupid crap when they were young, take the new generation to task, after they admit they did the same thing.

29. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    I remove the sticker and bend the brim, but I do wear my hats backwards because I think it simply looks better on me.

steveincolorado likes this.
  30. dolfan06

dolfan06 New Member

May 19, 2008
    Arkansas
    pretty soon they'll get the word. the cops just love em wearing there pants like that. kinda hard to run with your pants around your knees.:yes:

31. anlgp

there most certainly is not.

32. Coral Reefer

Coral Reefer Premium Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Back in Miami
    It's the look born out of Rap music.

The underwear hanging, out shorts halway down the arse, gold toothes and a tilted straight brim hat.

IMO, In actuallity it tells the world that you embrace and celebrate ignorance but the followers of the music don't think about it. They see 50 pesos wearing it and want to be like him. That's really all the thought that goes into people deciding to follow with the trend unfortunately.

33. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    not all people that wear their pants like that will ever have a reason to be chased by cops........

34. cnc66

cnc66 wiley veteran, bad spelur Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    That's pretty harsh bro, I don't support that statement at all.

King Felix and SICK like this.
  35. Coral Reefer

Coral Reefer Premium Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Back in Miami
    I didn't expect to gain favor with the statement.
    The bottom line is that it's what I believe the whole genre of rap represents and this "fashion trend" comes directly from it.

Sorry but "big hair" in the 80's was also a trend but it wasn't one that celebrated violence, capping cops, rapin beyatches, celebrating crime, completely disregarding education, promoting racial angst, etc.

36. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    werent alot of songs in the 80s that set fashion trends about breaking the law, doing drugs, partying all day and night, drinking, speeding, disobeying your parents, having sex with women etc etc?

gimme a break dude

37. King Felix

King Felix Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    old people can be so ignorant sometimes. just go drink your coffee and watch matlock.

i can do it too

38. steveincolorado

steveincolorado Spook, Storme & Pebbles

Mar 23, 2008
    Colorado
    I wear my underwear inside out so I can get 2 days out of them:shifty:

39. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    lmao

40. NJFINSFAN1

NJFINSFAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    The Hat does not bother me, its the pants below the knee that I can't understand.