1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hey if any are interested... Some Jets OTA notes - 5/22/08

Discussion in 'AFC East Rivals' started by 124, May 23, 2008.

1. 124

124 Banned

May 12, 2008
    5/22/2008 Jets OTAs
    Posted on May 22nd, 2008 by Bassett
    Here’s some notes from camp today. I’ve interspersed my thoughts, but thanks to the beaties for posting these up in short order. We’ll try to post a video up from SNY as soon as we can so you can get a look at what it was like out there today. Our thoughts after the jump …

Clemens Is No Lemon — Clemens was set to work today with the first team and he had a good day, Cimini called one of his passes “gorgeous.” It was a 45 yard strike up the right sideline to Laveranues in a spot where only Coles could catch it, and Revis had no play and was in tight coverage. Beyond that one pass, Boland noted that he “threw a handful of very precise deep passes.” If Clemens can continue to look as good as he did today, one would think he’s a shoo-in for the job, but we’ll have to see he could doing this twice a day in grueling heat, and even more important in game situations. As has been said here ad infinitum, we think his starts last year were typical of rookies, and he got an even rawer deal with the line with which he had to play.

Playmaker? Check — Dustin Keller is showing the versatility that made the Jets move up to get him, and the reason we love him in this offense. Keller has been lining up as a flanker, in the slot and motioning. The fact that he’s been lining up detached from the formation is all you need to know about how the Jets will use him primarly, a beefy receiver and sometimes backfield blocker. Keller might not have the numbers in year one, but he’s a secondary coach’s worst nightmare. Baker is the key to keeping things together as he has the skills to both block and catch.

Stuck on Stuckey — For those of us who have been holding our breath for Chansi Stuckey, it seems he’s been worth the wait. Boland writes that Stuckey “is clearly the third receiver on the depth chart and keeps making catch after catch.” It’s just like his camp last summer, where he was making catches all over the field, and had some beautiful grabs on the sidelines. If he can stay healthy into the fall, this kid could see a lot of time on the field in spread offenses. Brad Smith who emerged as the three last year has been limited, so it will bear attention on how Stuckey progresses on the field, and Smith off. We could have a real competition for the No. 3.

Franks Comes Back to Earth — I didn’t get too jazzed on Bubba Franks’ big day last week and it seems that today he wasn’t quite the touchdown maker he was last time.

Dwight’s Last Minute Flight — It seems that Lowery has been working as a corner, but he’s working his way up from the bottom, only seeing some second team duties (mostly third). Lowery apparently got in last night late after finishing his finals.

Routine Can Help — Abram Elam is back with the team after his time off to be with his family and is practicing, but is currently working with the second team.

No Excuses — Danny Woodhead had a rough day and ran a number of laps on muffed punts. It seems that there was some hail and rain at the time, but it’s not an excuse for Woodhead, who has to do everything he can to beat out established players and will be competing across positional spots (wide receivers, corners etc.) for special teams work. If he wants to make this team, not handling inclement weather now doesn’t bode well for late November in a snow-squall.

No Rush, Yet — Justin Miller has been slowed in practices, but Mangini addressed the situation during his presser saying that he expects Miller to be ready for camp.

alen1 and Vinsjets like this.
  2. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    How is Gholston doing?

3. Music to my ears....beautiful

Week 1 baby!

4. Im a huge Stuckey fan, i hope he has a breakout year!!!

5. 124

124 Banned

May 12, 2008
    Well right now the NCAA doesn't allow the players to compete in OTA's or anything until June after their rookie minicamps so he's still in Ohio. Can't wait to see him in some Preseason action and Training Camp. :up:

6. Disappointing news about Woodhead, I think we're all pulling for the kid to make this team.

Can't wait for Justin Miller to get back to the team

7. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    DEFINITELY NOT a Jets fan but I am a fan of Stuckey. Wish him and the Jets overall the best.

BleedinGreenNC likes this.
  8. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I noticed it said Elam was playing with the second team, who was ahead of him?

9. 124

124 Banned

May 12, 2008
    Mangini loves his competition and loves himself some Eric Smith. He'll give Smith every opportunity the chance to start and he, Elam, will have to beat out Smith for the job.

10. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    124, is Vern Gholston in camp and signed as of yet?

And does Clemens look like a good replacement for Pennington? Or will Penny start?

11. 124

124 Banned

May 12, 2008
    He hasn't signed yet and due to NFL and NCAA rules he cannot attend any other camp but rookie minicamp until school is done and Ohio State is not out yet.

As for Clemens, he showed flashes last season behind a horrible offensive line so it will be interesting to see what he does with seven full games under his belt and with a much improved offensive line and a new weapon in Dustin Keller -- unless of course Keller becomes the second coming of Kyle Brady -- minus the blocking skills --which in true Jets fashion will probably happen.

padre31 likes this.
  12. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    We can give you Justin Peele :wink2:

13. 124

124 Banned

May 12, 2008
    Blah, I misjudged on this one alen.

Actually Elam was home in Florida up until two days ago -- he was there for two weeks dealing with his most recent brothers deal and funeral and things along that line. I'm sure once TC opens he'll be starting, if not in the next few days. But the fact that Mangini loves Eric Smith and will give him every chance to start isn't a lie. He will.

alen1 likes this.
  14. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    any news on the udfa DE kenwin cummings??? Signed or what? Thanks fellas

15. 124

124 Banned

May 12, 2008
    Like all UDFA he's signed to a cheap two year deal. We'll see how he does. Like I said in another thread, he's a long shot.