1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Henne will make the Wr better by throwing deeper passes

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by padre31, Dec 11, 2009.

1. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast

1)..Chad "the mad bomber" Pennington...I just wanted to say that one time.

2) Of course Graham cannot call Ted Ginn a deep threat, it was a "fluke" that Ginn scorched Revis...

3)Absolutely love Chad Henne's trend line upwards that is noticable and measurable improvement and against the Saints and Patriots of the NFL, he is not improving against the weak Sisters of the NFL.

Henne's play against the Pats was impressive, he scanned the field and made correct reads for the most part, now if only he could throw deep like Penny used to...

2. 2socks

2socks Rebuilding Since 1973

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    Did you ever think of changing the title to "getting new receivers would make Henne a better QB"?:shifty:

3. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Nope, Wr's were seen sort of as pinky toes until last week, we all have them, they really weren't used for much. ..:lol:

adamprez2003 and 2socks like this.
  4. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    The stats are surprising in one sense but, not surprising given the same players and same coaches calling the plays. It just shows that Pennington was truly making the best of what he was given to work with.

I hope Pennington is okay and able to make a come back....not to create controversy but because he is a classy individual.:up:

eric and padre31 like this.
  5. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    love the fact he's improving. i think its all in the 15 to 25 yd range but hopefully by the end of the year we can stretch that out even more.

2socks and padre31 like this.
  6. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Well, imho Hennessey is doing a good job with that same corps maybe the staff is sort of holding him back not wanting him to make too many mistakes in his first season?

Chad Pennington has more heart than Rocky, I'd never count that dude out until he is coaching High School football somewhere in Tennessee..

eric and 2socks like this.
  7. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    i think its more of a case that pennington didnt have the arm to throw deep and henne doesnt have the consistent accuracy to throw deep. the difference however is henne can improve his deficience given time, pennington never

8. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts

Deeper routes take alot of timing to get right, in the middle of a playoff chase especially so, Sparano is just so anal about how players should play that once Henne makes that next step in Sparano's view, we will see more deep stuff.

Henne is clicking with Hartline, Bess and Fasano, of those three Hartline is the only one who can get deep, but he is more of a Ed McCaffery type, smart player, not a dud athletically but not exactly Vince Jackson.

In some ways going down 14 pts to the pats in a clear "must win" was one of the best things that could have happened to Chad Henne.

Or Hennessey as I sometimes call him, think about this, 6 wins...4 or 5 were come from behind wins...not bad for a wet behind the ears first year starting Qb...

And comparing Sanchez to Henne, both first year starters, there is no comparison, Henne's trend line is upwards steadily, Sanchez's trend line would start out with a small bump, then trend steadily downwards.

Imho we really have a keeper at Qb :ffic:

adamprez2003 and 2socks like this.
  9. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    Several people have made comments in the past regarding Pennington's arm strength. There is a interview out there where Sabol is interviewing Pennington and he was asked about the comments and Pennington actually said he throws the way he does because he is trying to finesse the ball there making it easy to catch.

Henne's got a rocket and I think several balls have been drooped as a result. when Henne learns to take a little off when not necessary he will be even better. We have seen Pennington throw the ball 50 yards in the air several times. Hell the great Danny could only throw it 58 in the QB challenge I saw him in on TV. How far does one need to throw it. Route running also helps....God know we certainly could use some help....

eric and adamprez2003 like this.
  10. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta

No doubt best we have had since Marino:up:

11. FinsAreLife

FinsAreLife Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2007
    just my honest opinion...this is kind of a crappy article. The guy has a few false statements or assumptions that make him come off as an idiot. Ted Ginn has performed poorly this year and Revis has performed great this year. That being said, it doesnt make it a fluke that for one play Ted Ginn was that much better than Revis was.

12. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Small pappas with the Ginn slam, he burnt Revis cleanly, Mr. suchie much can say whatever he will, the tape don't lie, Ginn roasted Revis.

I would love to see Henne throw that route to Ginn again.

13. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity

14. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    its kind of like goldilocks IMO when it comes to both of their deep passes. Pennington's took too long to get there. he could throw it deep but you needed an hour glass to time the amount it was up in the air. Henne however probably wantds to throw a rope but tries to put arc on it and it just veers off a yard or two

2socks likes this.
  15. Gitrdone

Gitrdone New Member

May 22, 2009
    Canada EH!
    Yes that route and more quick slants! If the corner misses the tackle we could have a huge play. I feel the WR's are now being allowed to run more routes. Hope to see the NE game not be the only game like that.

16. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Guy doesn't watch the dolphins close enough to say if Ginn's burning of Revis was a fluke. Ginn gets open.

It's the catching he's had problems with. You only need to get open once to have that catch.

17. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Maybe not many slants in this game GitrDone, the Jags love to run zone blitzes and picked Henne off in the preseason at the goaline by dropping a DT back into coverage.

Henne never saw him.

18. Delfin Alejandro

Delfin Alejandro Premier League Champs

Dec 12, 2008
    I think the stats are ok I guess. The one thing that does bug is the fact the numbers are all averages therefore it places him as average and make the great individuals play get lost blended within the incompletions etc... As mentioned in prior posts the media does not watch all the games in there entirety therefore they can't comment on the difference between chad 1 and chad 2. They will only start to comment when his "averages / numbers" start to increase which they have already started to notice. The play to Ginn gets lost and therefore is called a fluke....IMHO