Henne trying to remain upbeat
59 replies
Really good read about what happened after the news broke. Pennington and Henne have one hell of a relationship.
After giving Henne a few moments to collect himself, Pennington and Henne had a “teary-eyed” conversation for about 45 minutes, Pennington said.
“It was a tough day for both of us. Probably one of the hardest days for me as a professional because of my relationship with him,” Pennington said. “It’s a situation that’s not fair, and I’ve been there before. I’ve been benched before when it wasn’t really my fault, so I understand every emotion that he has and I understand everything he’s going through. And he has every right to feel the emotions that he has.”
“Chad’s been great. There’s no hatred now that he’s starting,” Henne said. “It’s none of our decisions. It’s up to the coaching staff, and we’re going to remain the same. He’s helped me throughout my career, I’m going to stick by him, help him out as much as we can. We’re in it together.”
“I’ve never been in this situation before,” Henne said. “It’s tough, and I’m going to learn from this, but the best thing is I put the team first. I’m not going to point fingers and steer guys away and point them in my direction. I’m going to help this team try to win a championship here.”
Lots to read about between the lines here. Sounds to me like both QBs feel like the coaching staff is being unfair and unreasonable to some degree.
Henne has what it takes under the right system. The offensive coaching staff if screwing him over along with the team. Its so sad because with a different offensive coaching staff we may actually be super bowl contenders.
I will be surprised to see Henne in a Phins uni come next year.
"texanphinatic wrote:
I will be surprised to see Henne in a Phins uni come next year.
He has one more year on his contract as a restricted free agent. Do not think he is going anywhere, not if they do not want to release him.
http://images.thephins.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic3648_5.gif
"pocoloco wrote:
Lots to read about between the lines here. Sounds to me like both QBs feel like the coaching staff is being unfair and unreasonable to some degree.
I wholeheartedly agree. More and more frequently, the players are speaking out against the coaches. Another example being Marshall the other day. The writing is on the wall, imo, these coaches are trying to save their jobs...
Well I hope this leads to coaching changes because thats what I feel like we need.
The Dolphins are the softest team in the NFL. Tua hater starting 12/11/22.
"pocoloco wrote:
Lots to read about between the lines here. Sounds to me like both QBs feel like the coaching staff is being unfair and unreasonable to some degree.
I didn't read it that way. In tune with the other comments about their congenial relationship, I think it means that there was no undermining between the two qbs for "favor" and that the decision was the coaches' alone.

"HolliFinFan wrote:
I didn't read it that way. In tune with the other comments about their congenial relationship, I think it means that there was no undermining between the two qbs for "favor" and that the decision was the coaches' alone.
Pennington said. “It’s a situation that’s not fair, and I’ve been there before. I’ve been benched before when it wasn’t really my fault, so I understand every emotion that he has and I understand everything he’s going through.
You may be right, but this quote looks pretty cut and dried to me.
"Making people on the Internet feel better about their own lives since 2004"
"HardKoreXXX wrote:
You may be right, but this quote looks pretty cut and dried to me.
Yes, I read that, but Pennington's elaborating had more to do with their support of each other than criticism of the coaches IMO. I am surprised that he chose the word "fair." His further comment about being in the same situation I interpret similarly. :hi5:

So Pennington, the closest bystander to the situation besides the staff states outright that it's not Henne's fault. That line right there says it all for me.

So did we pick up Marshall so Pennington could throw up 20 yard wobblers to him? :no:
It's Sunday Morning, Where the Phins at?

"ascii wrote:
Robots have feelings? :shifty:
That my friend was cold... funny but cold...
RIP CHP Officer Kirk Griess ID#15810
EOW 8/10/18
"Phinatic425 wrote:
So did we pick up Marshall so Pennington could throw up 20 yard wobblers to him? :no:
He can throw the ball that far? :tongue2:
RIP CHP Officer Kirk Griess ID#15810
EOW 8/10/18
You get the feeling that if it were up to Pennington, even he would keep Henne out there. This is just baffling.
"HolliFinFan wrote:
Here's the video of the exchanges:
Thanks! Finally got to see what happened with my own eyes/ears
One of the things Pennington said at the end of his press conference got me thinking. He mentioned something to the effect of "One of the great things about this situation is I'm at the end of my career, and Chad is at the beginning of his, so we're not two dogs fighting for the same piece of meat."
What that says to me is that Pennington doesn't expect to be competing with Henne for a starting spot next year.
So that bears in mind the question. Is Henne being benched for the remainder of the year because Pennington is better for this system, and playbook? Is it possible Henning realizes that the types of plays he's asking Henne to make, don't work towards his strengths?
And if Pennington is suggesting he won't be here to compete with Henne soon, does that mean that the coaching staff believes that Henne will compete next year? If so they wouldn't throw him into the same system they feel failed him/he failed at.
A lot of this "It wasn't his fault" stuff seems to me to really push that theory. The theory that they tried to turn him into a Pennington clone because they were retaining Henning for the year (for whatever reason), and realized it wouldn't work, so they scrapped that plan, and are going to see if Henne can be salvaged next year?
I'm just throwing out ideas here. I really am just hoping and praying we don't see him go somewhere else, and make us regret giving up on him.
Henne was a convient scapegoat.

MonstBlitz;2232016 wrote:
It wouldn't surprise me if he is retained. Jeff Ireland is the nightmare that won't end. The **** stain you cannot flush. The Herpes for which there is no cure.
"texanphinatic wrote:
I will be surprised to see Henne in a Phins uni come next year.
Hopefully we can get a 4th rounder for him.
RIP CHP Officer Kirk Griess ID#15810
EOW 8/10/18
"SeanP wrote:
Thanks! Finally got to see what happened with my own eyes/ears
One of the things Pennington said at the end of his press conference got me thinking. He mentioned something to the effect of "One of the great things about this situation is I'm at the end of my career, and Chad is at the beginning of his, so we're not two dogs fighting for the same piece of meat."
What that says to me is that Pennington doesn't expect to be competing with Henne for a starting spot next year.
So that bears in mind the question. Is Henne being benched for the remainder of the year because Pennington is better for this system, and playbook? Is it possible Henning realizes that the types of plays he's asking Henne to make, don't work towards his strengths?
And if Pennington is suggesting he won't be here to compete with Henne soon, does that mean that the coaching staff believes that Henne will compete next year? If so they wouldn't throw him into the same system they feel failed him/he failed at.
A lot of this "It wasn't his fault" stuff seems to me to really push that theory. The theory that they tried to turn him into a Pennington clone because they were retaining Henning for the year (for whatever reason), and realized it wouldn't work, so they scrapped that plan, and are going to see if Henne can be salvaged next year?
I'm just throwing out ideas here. I really am just hoping and praying we don't see him go somewhere else, and make us regret giving up on him.
I think Henning will tweak some things in the offseason in regards to Henne and playcalling. I think they went with one approach this year and they will tweak it a bit to play to his strengths more next year. I think its something you almost cant do midseason because it involves too much time analyzing one player and the way the season is you need every minute to gameplan for your next opponent. I expect them to really work with Henne on getting more aggressive with his throws but teaching when those times are. I think Henne has had the bad luck of every time he gets aggressive he seems to pay for it so he goes back to playing safe


2019 DRAFT WISH LIST
1) DT Dexter Lawrence - Clemson
2) DE Jaylon Ferguson - Lousiana Tech
3) OG Chris Lindstrom - Boston College
4) CB Amani Oruwariye - Penn State
5) DE Shareef Miller - Penn State
7) C Sean Krepcz - Nevada
7) RB Wes Hills - Slippery Rock
Reporter: "Why did you fire Coach Gase?"
Ross: "Because he wants to win now"
"SeanP wrote:
Thanks! Finally got to see what happened with my own eyes/ears
One of the things Pennington said at the end of his press conference got me thinking. He mentioned something to the effect of "One of the great things about this situation is I'm at the end of my career, and Chad is at the beginning of his, so we're not two dogs fighting for the same piece of meat."
What that says to me is that Pennington doesn't expect to be competing with Henne for a starting spot next year.
So that bears in mind the question. Is Henne being benched for the remainder of the year because Pennington is better for this system, and playbook? Is it possible Henning realizes that the types of plays he's asking Henne to make, don't work towards his strengths?
And if Pennington is suggesting he won't be here to compete with Henne soon, does that mean that the coaching staff believes that Henne will compete next year? If so they wouldn't throw him into the same system they feel failed him/he failed at.
A lot of this "It wasn't his fault" stuff seems to me to really push that theory. The theory that they tried to turn him into a Pennington clone because they were retaining Henning for the year (for whatever reason), and realized it wouldn't work, so they scrapped that plan, and are going to see if Henne can be salvaged next year?
I'm just throwing out ideas here. I really am just hoping and praying we don't see him go somewhere else, and make us regret giving up on him.
It has not dawned on him as of yet so I doubt it.
RIP CHP Officer Kirk Griess ID#15810
EOW 8/10/18
"texanphinatic wrote:
I will be surprised to see Henne in a Phins uni come next year.
Over the course of the last 2 seasons Henne has become the player that I root for the most. If he leaves Dolphins I will be devastated :cry:
It's Sunday Morning, Where the Phins at?

"Phinatic425 wrote:
Over the course of the last 2 seasons Henne has become the player that I root for the most. If he leaves Dolphins I will be devastated :cry:
I am not prophetic, but I would be surprised if Henne leaves/is waived/traded. Midway through the season, it is not the end of the world to change things up IMO. People keep talking about Henne's "confidence" and the move, yet I think they're reading too much into it. From the video I posted on this thread, he has full support, even from his "short-term" replacement. Henne simply has made too many mistakes, and yes, they are mistakes that can be corrected. If he is above self-re-evaluation while observing a while and can't recover his confidence, then he's really not a player we want. (I do not think this will be the case.)

"pocoloco wrote:
Lots to read about between the lines here. Sounds to me like both QBs feel like the coaching staff is being unfair and unreasonable to some degree.
Agreed.
"frags wrote:
I wholeheartedly agree. More and more frequently, the players are speaking out against the coaches. Another example being Marshall the other day. The writing is on the wall, imo, these coaches are trying to save their jobs...
Agreed. Not just Marshall, but how about Ricky's comments in that interview with Sid that is posted here about henne not being allowed to audible. Troubling indeed.
That being said, I get the move for the next 8 games, to win some games, win over some fans, wonderful... great... but we need to be thinking beyond these next 8 games as well.

1972 Miami Dolphins-The ONLY undefeated team in NFL history!!!