1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Henne Trial- For Some Fun

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Southbeach, Feb 14, 2011.

1. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
  2. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Henne sucks...

Southbeach? did I play the game right?...

lol...

3. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    [video=youtube;Ot5-C_LXhSA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ot5-C_LXhSA[/video]

4. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Wow, outside of GMJ, Chad Henne is not getting any love at all.

Hmm, I maybe have to pick up the #7 wearing Chucklehead's banner as I never like it when a Dolphins player is just bashed all of the time.

That is to say, there are some historic examples of Dolphins players who should be bashed, but Henne is not really one of them.

Comparing Henne to:

Cleo Lemon
    Traveres Tillman
    Reggie Howard
    Joe Toledo
    John Beck

Etc, would not be fair, the dude is .500 or so for his career and is the closest thing we've had to a Qb of the future in Miami since Scott Mitchell, and he is tough, that is the one characteristic I've always liked in my Qb.

5. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    I think it should be obvious for anyone being objective here the strengths and positives of henne.
    - he's got the size you like
    - he's tough
    - he's not an idiot
    - he's got all the physical tools to make the throws
    - he's got a cannon for an arm
    - we've seen flashes of brilliance from him

The problem is, as I said in the against Henne thread, is he lacked consistency all year. He'd be good, then bad the next drive or quarter. That needs to be fixed. It can be done both on his own, and with help from coaching probably.

6. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Thats true Padre...When iam done with one of our players I try my best to express that in the most respectful GM way possible, and give the reasons for my conclusions while doing so....Obviously my attempt at humor above was just that..

Nice making me feel bad for my joke buddy....lol

padre31 likes this.
  7. Onehondo

Onehondo Senior Member Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    Just wondering since I haven't heard it mentioned in awhile what effect if any, Sparano's method of making Henne pass in so many seconds had on Henne's development?

8. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    For Henne -

He played some great games in 2009 and flashed some potential. At times in 2010 he showed some promised, but not as much as 2009. So we know he's not completely without talent.

9. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Deej, believe it or not I really would like to see us land Vince Young, however if Henne is the guy in 2011 I can live with it as long as the offense as a whole is upgraded, but still VY just makes sense to me.

10. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    Or how much the Wildcat garbage has troubled his development. I love how when the offense would start rolling we would run the WC on first and second down to no avail only to put Henne back in on 3rd and long. Henne is a streaky guy and anyone who thinks that doesn't kick his confidence in the crotch needs to look themselves straight in the mirror. You just might be lying to yourself.

11. mommabilly

mommabilly No riders allowed

May 3, 2010
    OK, here is the NFLs rating or position or space amongst his piers or whatever you choose to name it. Overall, Chad Henne is rated again, 26th of 32 starting NFL Qbs.
    http://www.nfl.com/stats/categoryst...rience=null&tabSeq=1&qualified=true&Submit=Go

Now I guess if we start breaking it down such as, games played poorly due to;
    Moon in house of Venus
    Played while wind was blowing W, NW
    Played where rain was evident or had fallen in last 6 months.
    Played where inside LBer was left handed
    Played where DE was right handed

Yeah, I guess somehow, someway a person could break down various factors mulitply it by 22 and come up that Chad Henne is a good QB. Other then that, I will trust the opion of the NFL who he works for. I know, its just stats but in Hennes case, thats all you have to go by and in the case of the 31 other QBs too.

For reasons beyond the Miami Dolphins control, Chad Henne most likely will be the starter for them in 2011 and if he has the same year as 2010,. he will no longer be on Miamis roster in 2012. Lets face it, he is a cheap backup if they find someone to beat him out. If they cannot find one, see my original answer, Henne is a cheap starter and if he does not do well, the entire free world would not blame Miami for yanking him and playing their rookie or other guy they just brought in.

12. Southbeach

Southbeach Banned

Aug 22, 2010
    http://www.nfl.com/stats/categoryst...sonType=REG&tabSeq=2&qualified=true&Submit=Go

This is how the team did in passing O. We were #16, and Thiggy or Penny had absolutely nothing to do with it. You can give credit to Marshall, although he was injured in camp and missed two and a half games. You can give credit to Bess, which he deserves. You can give credit to Hartline, rough start, VG, and injured. You can give credit to Fasano, on a limited basis.

Just, whatever ya do, don't give any to Henne because his QB rating was far from good.

13. Southbeach

Southbeach Banned

Aug 22, 2010
    LOL No Pal, this comment was supposed to go to the against Henne thread. Guess the Mods decided to consolidate things on the for Henne to confuse posters. Well Done, LMAO.

14. Southbeach

Southbeach Banned

Aug 22, 2010
    Many posters post that Henne was the reason for our problems on O, and needs to be replaced. These are the same posters who HATE Henning for his handling of Henne, hate Lee for his handling of Henne, hate the OL, hate the running game, hate Hartline, hate Fasano, and the lack of a second TE.

IF everyone else is wrong, how can Henne be right? :)

15. brandon27

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    Well lets not get carried away here, our offense as a whole contributed in all of what you mentioned above. From the OL, to the WR's, right down to the useless coaches we had, and still do have in some cases. It's pretty hard to execute effectively, when you really have no playmakers on that side of the ball. Hell, we changed QB's prior to that, and during the last game, and it had ZERO effect on the offense. Because, as a whole, they are not a good unit. Lets not forget that. It's got nothing to do with simply one player.

16. Southbeach

Southbeach Banned

Aug 22, 2010
    PFF grades on a per play basis, not just stats. For example, if Henne hit a WR on the money but, the ball bounces off him, they do not fualt the QB, as opposed to the stat rating used by others. I think they do a great job. A OL said they are very close to actual team grades.

17. brandon27

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    That, is incorrect. Henne took more chances last year, than this year. No doubt about that. The way Sparano and company go on about turnovers, and playing it safe, and playing not to loose, that is exactly how they wanted Henne to play. You can easily correct that, Henne has never been a gun shy QB. His whole career in Michigan he made plays, and took shots downfield, and made tight passes, he did that here quite a bit last year too, now its stopped. Maybe it is partially his doing, and partially the coaches doing. Either way, its not like its set in stone, it's something that can be changed. Opening up the offense more with getting some more speed on the field, will do wonders for this offense as a whole. No matter who the QB is. There's no doubt Henne hesitated alot and was late with throws this year, more so as the season dragged on and things got worse, knowing how these coaches coach, even hearing Ricky say it during the season about halfway through the season when he complained about how the coaches are ridiculous over every little detail and turnover, causing guys to play tight. It's pretty obvious to me whats happened, it's something that can change too IMO.

What has to change IMO with Chad is his consistency, in his overall play, his decision making, and he has to take more control of the offense. Whether its the players on the field with him, in the huddle, or in the lockerroom or game planning sessions. He's got to step up. He's got to stop with the play one good quarter, play one bad, play one good stuff.

18. CashInFist

CashInFist Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2007
    West Virginia
    OK. So PFF says Chad Henne was better than Matt Cassel and Kyle Orton.

Matt Cassel - 27 TD passes/7 INT
    Kyle Orton - 20 TD passes/9 INT
    Chad Henne - 15 TD passes/19 INT

On what planet does that make any sense at all?

19. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    18 interceptions, the one in the Stealers game was bogus.

5 others were not on Henne, 2 were Brandon Marshall screwups, one was Shuler stopping his route, one a Hartline slip, and one a Bess slip.

That is why I'm not a big fan of just using Stat Monkery one way or the other.

20. CashInFist

Nov 30, 2007
    West Virginia

Blah, blah, blah...

You think Henne is the only QB in the NFL to have a few bad breaks?

Also, that is one hell of a stretch you made there saying all of those INT's were not Henne's fault.

Either way, Cassel and Orton were MILES ahead of Henne. It isn't even close.

When Chad Henne gets cut or traded it will be the best thing that ever happened to this site.

21. CashInFist

Nov 30, 2007
    West Virginia
    I said best thing for "the site". :up:

It would end all of the stupid bashing back and forth from both sides of the Henne arguement (me included).

Also, if we cut/trade Henne we obviously think we have found his replacement and Henne won't be a distraction.

22. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    In 2010 he led the league in them.

Never said "all" said of 6 of them were not purely his fault they were Wr misques.

True, won't argue that point, would say Weis and McCoy were far different OC's than Henning.

Eh, for me, I'll have some patience with Henne though I would dearly like a Vet like VY or Orton, this will be Henne's 4th season and that is by far the longest the Dolphins Franchise has ever spent trying to develop a young Qb, ditch him now and the last two yrs are meaningless.

Maybe he turns it around? The other half of your post about arguing, well that is what the fans of 31 other teams will also be doing during the offseason, in 09 there were huge arguments over the Defense and keeping Jason Taylor, that is just the nature of the beast.

Which is also why Ireland should have signed one or two CFLers or Street FA's just to give us fans something positive to chew on.

23. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Him Or Mcnabb.....I love me some reclamation projects when it comes to athletes with great talent.....gym...gym...gym...

24. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I'd prefer VY my man, if he turns it around we are on a gold mine as he is 27, McNabb we'd have to hope for a Pennington 08 type of season and he just has not shown he is that Qb anymore.

If Henne is sat down I'd like a guy who can pick up yards and first downs with his feet as to me, that is the sort of effort we will need to succeed in 2011.

25. brandon27

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    No it won't. This fanbase will just find someone else to be the new whipping boy. Much like Ginn was prior to Henne. It will never end, it will just change with the next new popular player to love and hate.

26. Southbeach

Southbeach Banned

Aug 22, 2010
    IMHO, after less than two seasons, Henne is and average QB on an average team we all thought would be better. He was, all things considered, surrounded by an average group of receivers, a below average OL. below average running game, and below average coaching.

He has done some good things, some bad things, and has not proven to be our answer at QB. However, if you look at the overall picture, I believe he has earned the chance of another year as our starting QB.

27. CashInFist

Nov 30, 2007
    West Virginia
    True. But I'm tired of the Henne debate already. I just want it (him) to go away. :lol: