1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Henne throws for 363 yards

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by padre31, Sep 27, 2010.

1. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Well, last evening a segment of Dolfans got exactly what they wanted:

Chad Henne had 363 yds passing, he looked good flinging the ball around the field, Brandon Marshall had 160 receiving yards and a TD.

On the Jests no less, a top 5 Defense.

Dolphins also lost the game.

On this Monday morning, I prefer the feeling of a "W" being posted in the W/L column..how about my fellow FinFans?

2. DePhinistr8

DePhinistr8 Season Ticket Holder

Mar 24, 2008
    Inflammitory statement ahead...

...not directed at you pads...I agree with you...I would've taken a 185 yard performance and a win, and you think his numbers would put quiet his doubters some but I just gotta get this off my chest...

Anyone who thinks this L has anything to do with how Henne played last night is an absolute moron.

3. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    It was nice to see our offense clicking out there last night. Sucks that we lost, but ya know what, we weren't going undefeated. you don't win them all.

Henne looked comfortable out there after he settled in to the game, showed confidence in himself and his WR's.

Marshall was a beast, and did more than enough to create double coverage for himself, which allowed Hartline and Bess to have opportunities. Guess what? Something alot of people are forgetting it seems, but Bess and Hartline both stepped up and made the best of their opportunities as well thanks to the coverage Marshall draws to himself. Thats what we need to see every week.

Sucks that we lost, yeah. But maybe, just maybe this was the type of game we needed for our offense to get on track as well. Which makes us that much more dangerous down the road.

4. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    henne was on fire, i can´t believe that henning was calling these wildcat plays, after henne moved us down the field, just to take another wildcat play

5. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    I think you could even tell that Henne wanted this game, he wanted it on him. Everytime they showed him on the sidelines as we went Wildcat, he looked pretty ticked off. Especially early on when he just started getting into a groove and we yanked him.

6. FanMarino

FanMarino Season Ticket Holder

Nov 24, 2007
    Henne did fine. Hes shown he can throw the rock when the game dictates it. Thats why Bess and Marshall are money right now. Henne can find them.

Weve got too many holes to fill at the moment. Pass rush was non existant. Sanchez was hit ONCE! no sacks just hit once! For some reason we didnt dial up any blitzes, couldnt cover Keller which was embarrassing after his 98th catch in 1st half! No big running lanes, poor play-calling (bloody Wildcat!) Special teams was woeful (blocked punt, cant return kicks and cant cover them, kicking out of bounds on kickoff!), Jason Allen had seriously bad game and that baseball infield sodded turf was a joke. Apart from that we did good. :up:

7. SeanP

SeanP Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Deltona FL
    I honestly thought we were robbed from that game, by a number of factors, but mostly ourselves. I could dwell on the bad personal foul call, or JA slipping on what was the Marlins Field, but that only accounts for 2 plays. All in all I don't think we saw the same team that fielded the last two games for us on defense.

Am I the only one that is just getting dog tired of watching our team perform in only one aspect of the field? I don't know what the deal is, but it always seems like every time our offense is clicking, our defense is not, and vice-versa, where one side has to have an elite performance to keep us in the game, and the other just stinks it up.

dolfan7171, MikeHoncho and lohink like this.
  8. Trowa

Trowa A world of pain

May 8, 2008
    As good as Henne was last night, he could have been better. He killed the first two drives with just horrible, horrible play. You can't give him a pass on those first two drives just cause he threw for 363 on the other ones. If he hits Hartline on the first throw of the game, I think we're talking about a different game the rest of the way. He's got to work on those things. Overall, solid performance though.

And for the record, I'm of the camp that I would prefer the W over the gaudy #s.

9. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Oh, get over it. :pity:

The infield dirt was covered. The Jets didn’t slip and slide everywhere. Why is it that their sure footing goes unnoticed, but Jason Allen—who’s been prone to falling his whole career—is somehow a victim of the turf? Was Yeremiah Bell screwed over by the turf when he gave up that touchdown to Keller, despite the fact that they were on the opposite side of the end zone as the home plate/third base path?

The field isn’t a problem. The players are.

10. SeanP

SeanP Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Deltona FL
    Guess you skipped the rest of the post where I said "but that only accounts for 2 plays"

I was more pointing out the fact that the outside factors, if you want to call them that, of the instances I feel we got robbed, were few, the rest was on us - no excuse.

11. DePhinistr8

DePhinistr8 Season Ticket Holder

Mar 24, 2008
    I feel ya..but keep in mind, it's early, our team is really young (especially on D).
    Don't be shocked if we hit some serious strides in week 7~ish on and look pretty dominant.

Oh...and how come Clemons got that "defenseless receiver" penalty, but on that screen to Ronnie he was speared in his facemask and nothing was called. WTF?

12. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Are you sure it was Henne who threw for that many yards? I could have swore all week I read about how our offense didn't trust Henne and we'd consistently see him only throw it 15 times a week.

13. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Yet you felt strongly enough about the field to mention it despite only accounting for 2 plays.

14. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    It's called "playing a complete game", which would be against our gameplan.

It seems when we take a lead, we play "prevent offense" and turn to "prevent defense". The only time we play aggressively is when we're playing down.

15. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    Its all Ginns fault.

16. MikeHoncho

Nov 13, 2009
    Bingo.

17. FinsAreLife

FinsAreLife Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2007
    Im saying this because it's true. Last night watching Henne felt like i was watching a top 10 QB in this league.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  18. dolfan7171

dolfan7171 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Arizona
    Chad Henne had a good game, slow start but a good game. I didn't like that he threw a pick at the end of the game. We need to play better defense next week. I was not impressed with defense last night and the special teams as usual needs a lot of work. Despite of all of this, I think we still could have won that game.

19. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

I'll say it again, it's just like Ginn to get traded out of bounds.

20. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

Bottom line, a game we shoulda, coulda won and that'll haunt us later in the year...

But props to Henne for showing some stuff, however, thumbs down again to Henning for some of the oddball play calling...

21. frags

frags New Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Boston, MA...
    It is unfortunate DePhin, but it almost feels like we traded a W to pad Henne's stats and quiet the critics...The gameplan, to an extent, revolved around taking advantage of Revis' absence, but I have that feeling after many were complaining about Henne...

22. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I think Dan Henning has made some pretty serious errors in judgement and preparation.

2 yards...3 play's...?...as mind blowing as buffalo last year...

and that's pretty bad...

How the hell do you not run the ball 3 strait time's considering what our strength's are.

If he believe's in redzone wildcat, and your put in the almost exact situation as last year, {where you beat your opponent with the run}, and you do what you did, somethin ain't right, POUND THE fu$#in ball... good or bad, i can live with that result, there are no excuses if you cant get it done, and I would rather have that to live with, then going against the mentality of being physical in that situation

He really isn't giving us the best chances to win..

I dont like it...somethin doesn't fit with what we want to become.

EdSta74, mullingan and ToddsPhins like this.
  23. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Deej, you are ignoring the fact Ricky W has fumbled 3 times in two games do you really want to risk it?

I can see what they were thinking, I also think they should have put Roberto Wallace into the game as he would have created an instant mismatch.

He's 6'5, Leonhard is 5'10.

24. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    Then run Ronnie.... Jesus how hard is it. Brown is always a disappearing act in games. why in the hell is that?

ToddsPhins and djphinfan like this.
  25. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    st henne of the episcopal, just another victim of Gods second fallen angel, Henning.

adamprez2003 likes this.
  26. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    what padre?, you dont change the philosophy of picking up 2 yards on three play's because someone fumbled earlier, how can you see what they were thinking, its horrible thinking..

The gameplan was a mess all night...There were many individual plays made by our receivers, throwing the ball up to players is not how I would call a power offensive strategy..

I thought it was piss poor recognition of efficiency, and physical mentality...2 things he completely forgot at the 2 freakin yard line with 3 plays to go...

If your gonna protect his *** on that gameplan, then iam gonna be all over your ***, no homo, lol.

27. dolfan22

dolfan22 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

If you dress Wallace , you should utilize him to your best advantage. Inside the 10 , two 6-4 plus receivers are tough to neutralize. That was an error on Miami's part imo.

28. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Probably because he's not 100% healthy... or they want him to make it past week 8 this year.

29. The Aqua Crush

The Aqua Crush New Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Calgary Alberta Canada
    I'm not sure why when we did run the ball why it seemed to be predominantly to the right? I don't know the split on run plays, but why we were not running behind big Jake is beyond me.

The last time I remember us running to the left of our line ronnie busted it for 50 yards vs the Vikes. And who cares if the D knows its comming, make them prove they can out block Jake and tackle ronnie. If they can't, keep doing it. Were not even doing it is the problem i have.

djphinfan likes this.
  30. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    I've said it numerous times in other posts. How Henne plays on the field is how the coaches want him to play.

When we're leading and Sparano stresses to prevent turnovers at all costs, Chad becomes conservative and is constantly thinking about not committing mistakes. That's tough for a young QB b/c it's not 2nd nature to him yet. He doesn't have enough reps as a "conservative game manager" to be extremely effective at it yet. That aspect hasn't slowed down for him yet, but WILL come with time.

When coaches tell him to air it out like last night, Chad doesn't have to think as much b/c he gets to do what is virtually 2nd nature to him- grip it and rip it (yes I know that's golf).

MikeHoncho likes this.
  31. MikeHoncho

Nov 13, 2009
    Grip and sip. Purple drank.

King Felix and ToddsPhins like this.
  32. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Boomer up in club mentioned Wallace did play on the final drive, and was out on the field when the game ended.

He also was the most productive ST player imho.

33. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    Last four plays were a joke. No Kris Jenkins. Ronnie is playing fairly well. Run the damn ball at least twice up the gut to get the friggin touchdown. It really seemed like Henning gameplanned pretty well most of the night, but then had nothing solid when we got to the goalline at the end of the game.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  34. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Yeah, that's not what I was thinking, but :lol:

35. Rhody Phins Fan

Rhody Phins Fan Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    Ya know after Hartline couldn't get to that deep ball on the first play I actually thought to myself "Ginn would have got that." I don't miss him but he would have caught that ball.

Anonymous likes this.
  36. muscle979

muscle979 Season Ticket Holder

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    I agree with them mostly passing but when they got to within a couple of yards or so they should have given Ronnie some looks. It's like they forgot what type of player he is. They can't remember a year ago when they put the game in Ronnie's hands and he delivered?

37. bluehaze

bluehaze New Member

Dec 24, 2009
    If Henne didn't throw for 363 yards the game would have been a blowout...

Henne looked great and did everything he could to bring us a W but unfortunately the Jets were the better team last night. Defense just couldn't get it done but the funny thing is this kind of surreal feeling I have about the game. Normally I am pissed, cursing and criticizing the Dolphins for a loss to the Jets or the Pats but after watching that game last night I really can't fault anyone both sides fought thier asses off in that game.

It was the best game I have watched in a very long time, sad that we lost but damn proud to be supporting this team and criticizm is the last thing on my mind right now :knucks:

ToddsPhins and EdSta74 like this.
  38. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

You mean Ginn would have gotten to that. Let's not be delusional about the catching part now.

39. cobrajet

cobrajet Mr. Ross - sell the team!

Jan 12, 2010
    Henne can rocket the ball with 6 seconds of pocket protection, but why does he need to long to throw a damn pass? He looks one dimensional and non mobile, shades of the old Marino; a fantastic arm, but he'll want to stand on the 1/2 yard line and throw to everyone.

Henne takes too long to make a decision, he is under throwing 20% of his passes and he couldn't run a naked bootleg if he had to. No wonder we are kicking so many field goals. I hope he continues to improve.

Ozzy likes this.
  40. tx-fin

tx-fin Keeping the faith

Sep 11, 2010
    See name
    I've criticized Henne heavily in the past, and I belive justifiably so. I do have to give credit where credit is due though, and I belive he played a heck of a game last night. Yes, he started slow, but he kept his head up, and began delivering some sweet balls indeed. The two thing I saw vast improvement on were his accuracy, and his getting the ball out faster. In the past, even his completions were usually because of some acrobatic catch by the reciever, but in this game, he put most of them right on the money. He was also releasing the ball much quicker, and only took one sack that I thought he could have avoided. Bet the O line is probably buying him dinner :). Let's hope this is a turning point and he will continue to improve, not just a flash-in-the-pan.