1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help choosing an rpg game:

Discussion in 'Gaming Forum' started by Sethdaddy8, Jan 9, 2010.

Tags:

What RPG is most worth playing, while reasonable time-wise.

Poll closed Feb 8, 2010.
  1. Dragon Age

7 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Borderlands

2 vote(s)
    9.5%
  3. Fable 2

5 vote(s)
    23.8%
  4. Fallout 3

7 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. Sethdaddy8

Sethdaddy8 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    Im a worker, dad, husband...so I dont have tons of time to play. Ye games are my hobby, and I love it. I fear im nearing the end of Darksiders. There's a solid month before the enormous few releases(bio shock 2, heavy rain, dantes inferno...im not eve gonna bother with ME2).

So whats a good game to get from what im otherwise hearing are awesome games. Dragon Age, Borderlands, Fable 2, Fallout 3? My ideal game is 5-15 hours. 24 at the most. But I love a good story and love to have fun in a not too complicated to control game.

Thanks.

2. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Dragon Age and Fallout can be eliminated on time. Fable 2 is fun, but so is Borderlands and I think it is a better game.

Sethdaddy8 likes this.
  3. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    So why not get Mass Effect 2? The game is exactly what you want it seems.

Sethdaddy8 likes this.
  4. mor911

mor911 pooping

Nov 25, 2007
    Austin, TX
    if time is limited, Fable 2 wins hands down... You can play that game in 15 minute intervals and be done in 6 sessions.

Sethdaddy8 likes this.
  5. muscle979

muscle979 Season Ticket Holder

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    I put Fallout before I saw how short you want the game to be. I agree you should play Mass Effect.

Sethdaddy8 likes this.
  6. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    i played mass effect, and after about 3 hours, i felt like i wasnt even scratchin the surface and getting anywhere. after 3 hours, i want to at least put a dent in it. i just wasnt getting into it.

7. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    fallout 3 is like a final fantasy, time-wise?

8. muscle979

muscle979 Season Ticket Holder

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    You can actually probably get through it in about 20 hours if you just do the missions that are part of the main storyline. There's a mindboggling amount of extra missions and content though. I wouldn't buy it just to play through in a hurry. It's an amazing game IMO.

Sethdaddy8 likes this.
  9. Zeke0123

Zeke0123 message board ******* Club Member

Nov 22, 2007
    Dragon Age doesnt suffer from that it gets very interesting very quickly...Its a long game but I think you would get your moneys worth out of the story and NPC interaction and even tho it might take you a while id be willing to bet you finish it...Im pretty Jaded ive been gaming for almost 30 years but I actually played it through twice just to see how different it would be to play as an "evil" character.

Sethdaddy8 likes this.
  10. Springveldt

Springveldt Season Ticket Holder

I'd agree with this. If you only follow the main quests you could get through Fallout in around 20 hours or so, it's not that long.
    If you do the side quests then it can take considerably longer. I'm up to 102 hours now but I'm halfway through my 5th DLC so I'd imagine I've got about 3 hours max left.

Sethdaddy8 likes this.
  11. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

Sep 27, 2009
    Roanoke, Virginia
    Fallout 3 is hands down the best game on that list. Though for the timeframe you listed, probably not for you then. Dragon Age is a great one as well.

Sethdaddy8 likes this.
  12. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    IMO, if you look for the shortest RPG, you are probably going to end up disappointed. The best RPGs usually take a little while to finish. That's part of the draw. Taking time to level up, customize your character, etc. etc. Take away those elements and it's not really an RPG anymore.

I would say Fallout 3 would still be the best choice. You can play it for over 100 hours, but can also finish it somewhat quickly if you choose to ignore a lot of the side quests.

Sethdaddy8 likes this.
  13. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    Yeah here was a problem for me...I loved a few of the Final Fantasies. 7,8,X, but didnt like 9, X-2, or 12...

And I just couldn't get into Oblivion or Mass Effect. To elaborate, I'd put like 5 or more hours into the game, but was totally confused, had no firm grasp of what was going on or what I should do. I'd start doing side things before I had any idea where I should be heading. And it just wasn't fun or intriguing to me. The story seemed too spread out and all over the place for what I want out of a video game.

For some reason the same goes for those FFs I've mentioned. While others just wrapped me up from the start and were clear and fun. And in those fun ones, Im fine for side quests and investing time in building your character.

But it seems like Fallout 3 and Dragon Age are the Belles of the Ball. But Fallout 3 getting compared to a post apocalyptic Oblivion scares me a bit.

14. mor911

mor911 pooping

Nov 25, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Fable 2 puts you into the game VERY quickly. The story gets thick fast. That being said, if you love the FF series, you WILL LOVE Lost Odyssey. This I promise. Awesome story based jRPG at it's best.

I will also agree with the people above that said Fallout 3 is the best in the list. However, live Oblivion, Fallout doesnt hold your hand and is very open. Some people prefer the story driven style of Japanese titles (like the Final Fantasy series or Lost Odyessy)

Sethdaddy8 likes this.
  15. Vengeful Odin

Vengeful Odin Norse Mod

Dec 2, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Fallout 3 is somewhat brutal, one of the few games I've had to kick down the difficulty on. You're also looking at about 100 hours plus there are 5 DLC packs that add to the overall experience. I'm about 20 hours in and I haven't scratched the surface ... I will be getting back to it.

I loved Fable 2, I played through it twice in about 40 to 50 hours, so that's probably more what you are looking for. You can probably finish if you play it for a couple of weekends.

Sethdaddy8 likes this.
  16. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    I beat it (before the broken steel dlc) in 25 hours. It only takes as long as you want it to beyond like 20 hours.

17. Springveldt

Did you do all the side quests? If you are trying to get all 1000 gamer points I'd guess at it taking at least 40 hours.

18. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

Sep 27, 2009
    Roanoke, Virginia
    Well if you didn't like Oblivion, then Fallout probably isn't for you. Both are made by Bethesda and have almost the same gameplay. Personally Oblivion, Morrowind, and Fallout 3 are some of my favorite games of all time and look forward to Bethesda making Fallout 4 and ES:5 in the near future. Based on your preferences I think Fable 2 may be the best choice for you.

Sethdaddy8 and mor911 like this.
  19. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    No (I did after I beat it for the most part). I'm saying you can beat the game in 18 hours probably. Like I said, beyond that it's only as long as you want it to be.

20. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    i instantly voted fallout 3 cause its the best game. then i read the thread and realized youd have no time to play it.

Fabe 2 is your best bet. Its a very underrated game IMO.

Sethdaddy8 likes this.
  21. Springveldt

Totally agree. I've finally finished everything I want to, 106 hours in total I believe. That includes all 5 DLC and all 1550 gamer points.
    Brilliant game, can't recommend it highly enough. Probably one of my all time favourite games and I rarely play RPG games.

22. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    I had like 3 of the DLC, and after I beat the main quest, I probably put like 40 more hours in, so I played close to 70.

Sethdaddy8 likes this.