1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Heisman Trophy; Prestigious Honor or Kiss of Death?

Discussion in 'College Sports' started by The_Dark_Knight, Dec 8, 2012.

1. The_Dark_Knight

The_Dark_Knight Defender of the Truth

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    I know this thread will more than likely be moved, but I wanted to toss it in these waters as it seems more view the Dolphins forum than any others.

I was sitting in the mess hall last night, watching AFN's re-broadcast of ESPN's broadcast of the college football awards. As I watched, and the discussion of the Heisman ramped up, it dawned on me. Is the Heisman REALLY that prestigious and sought after award, or is it an instant kiss of death in the NFL? So I began doing some research, looking up past Heisman recipients and the colleagues who did not win the Heisman and compared their NFL careers. Granted some of these are way too early to tell as they are early into the NFL careers what the long term outlook will be and it's not even fair to analyze RGIII as this is his and other rookies first season, so let's start with the previous year...

Year/Heisman Winner / Finalists
    2010 / Cam Newton / Andrew Luck, LaMichael James, Kellen Moore, Justin Blackmon, Denard Robinson, Ryan Mallett, Colin Kaepernick, Andy Dalton, Owen Marecic.
    -Cam Newton's rookie season had been impressive, but thus far, the Heisman winner has struggled; victim of the sophomore jinx?

2009 / Mark Ingram / Tony Gerhart, Colt McCoy, Ndamukong Suh, Tim Tebow, CJ Spiller, Kellen Moore, Case Keenam, Marty Gilyard, Golden Tate
    -Not so very impressive of a Heisman class in regards to NFL career comparrisons although Suh's career seems to be more impressive than Ingrams.

2008 / Sam Bradford / Tim Tebow, Colt McCoy, Graham Harrell, Michael Crabtree, Shawn Green, Patrick White, Nate Davis, Rey Maualuga, Javon Ringer
    -Bradford has shown promise but it seems Michael Crabtree has had the more successful career thus far, almost making it to the Super Bowl with the 49ers

2007 / Tim Tebow / Darren McFadden, Colt Brennan, Chase Daniel, Denis, Dixon, Patrick White, Matt Ryan, Kevin Smith, Glenn Dorsey, Chris Long
    -The only Sophomore to win the Heisman, Tebow has been an enigma in the NFL thus far however Matt Ryan has had much greater success thus far

2006 / Troy Smith / Darren McFadden, Brady Quinn, Steve Slaton, Mike Hart, Colt Brenan, Ray Rice, Ian Johnson, Dwayne Jarrett, Calvin Johnson
    -Troy who? The only player on this list that's dominated at his position has been "Megatron"

2005 / Vacated however, Reggie Bush was named the winner that year. Perhaps by his returning the Heisman, the Dolphins could achieve some greatness with him?

2004 / Matt Leinart / Adrian Peterson, Jason White, Alex Smith, Reggie Bush
    -If there was EVER a player that had so much hype it was Leinart but Peterson, Smith and Bush have far outshined the Heisman winner

2003 / Jason White / Larry Fitzgerald, Eli Manning, Chris Perry, Darren Sproles, Matt Leinart, Phillip Rivers, Mike Williams, Ben Roethlisburger, BJ Symons
    -Hmmm, Jason White versus 3 Super Bowl winners.

2002 / Carson Palmer / Brad Banks, Larry Johnson, Willis McGahee, Ken Dorsey, Byron Leftwich, Jason Gessar, Chris Brown, Kliff Kingsbury, Quentin Griffin.
    -Again, not a very impressive class. Palmer showed signs of promise in Cincinnatti, but is now in the dumpster of the NFL....the Raiders

2001 / Eric Crouch / Rex Grossman, Ken Dorsey, Joey Harrington, David Carr, Antwann Randle El, Roy Williams, Bryant McKinnie, Dwight Freeney, Julius Peppers
    -Does anything REALLY need to be said? Grossman, Randle El and Peppers all have seen the "Dance" where Crouch?

I could go on and on and on, analyzing each and every year, but the point being...as for an NFL career, the Heisman at first glance appears to be a career killer.

Thoughts?

2. GARDENHEAD

GARDENHEAD Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    I couldn't disagree more with you.

2010-Cam Newton had the greatest rookie season in the history of the NFL. He's clearly regressed this year, but last year was no fluke.
    2009-Ingram has played well, but splits carries with Pierre Thomas, Chris Ivory, and Sproles. (and no, Crabtree has been a total and complete disappontment)
    2008-Bradford has played exceedingly well despite having ZERO weapons to throw the ball to.
    2007-Tebow=Jesus
    2006-Troy Smith-If not for an appendix problem, no one would know who Flacco is.
    2005-Reggie Bush- Key contributor to a Super Bowl Champion
    2004-Matt Leinart - He sucks

3. Daben

Daben Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2008
  4. Laces Out

Laces Out Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2011
    Omaha, Ne
    Crouch sells medical supplies and backyard swings in Omaha. Biggest POS there ever was. Married with 2 kids, and still trying to bang almost anything with a pulse that isn't fat. He played a season at QB for the Omaha Nighthawks, and blew out his ACL.

I have a friend who still to this day defends Eric Crouch's decision to be a baby about not playing QB. He was set to play WR in St. Louis, and be their emergency backup QB, and quit due to 'injury' (deep thigh bruise). Then the perfect storm of injuries happened and Crouch was ready to get his shot, but since he quit like a *****, he never got that shot. He had a few tryouts with NFL teams, most notably with the Packers.

I think there are too many expectations heaped upon Heisman winners. They are good players, BUT success in college doesn't necessarily mean success in the NFL.

5. gafinfan

gafinfan gunner Club Member

I think to judge winners by what they do in the NFL (if they even get there) is unfair and doomed to failure. The make up of any kid, we must remember those young men are kids, just beginning adult life is never assured to be successful or every Friday night HS hero would be leading some team to the SB.

I would submit to you TDK that with your military background you have seen this in action far more than most on this forum or in life for that matter. Looks and body build are no indication if the heart of a lion or sheep lives within it, would you agree?

The_Dark_Knight likes this.
  6. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    2006 - Ray Rice isn't too shabby.

7. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    That trophy is awarded to the college player who had the greatest impact in college football in a given year .There is no consideration given to the winners for their pro football potential .

8. The_Dark_Knight

The_Dark_Knight Defender of the Truth

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    I would agree with your question related to the military. I've seen soldiers in CONUS, never having been shot at considered to be the cream of the crop and yet, the first time that 7.62mm round goes zipping past their head at 2800 feet per second, they freeze. I'll give you that, but is this a comparison between apples and oranges? I mean consider...

The Heisman is awarded to what is deemed to be the BEST college football player. This means he has been battle tested on the field, demonstrated skill, poise, leadership, determination, intelligence and yet, when you look overall at Heisman winners and their NFL careers, the vast majority are busts! These are supposed to be the BEST, with all of the skills sets that are needed at the NFL level and yet they aren't able to transition to the next level.

I only went back 10 years on that list, but to point out some notables...

1996; Danny Wuerffel won the Heisman. Some young obscure kid named Peyton Manning placed 8th
    1983; Mike Rosier won the Heisman and yet, who had the more successful NFL careers? Steven Young, Boomer Esiason, even Jeff Hostettler to a degree
    1982; THE GREATEST quarterback class ever and yet? Herschel Walker to went to the USFL before finally getting into the NFL however, his career paled in comparison to Elway, Marino, and his contemporary, Eric Dickerson!

These are only a few examples. I really don't want to have to go year by year...every year to make the point and the point being, if you're a Heisman trophy winner, your chances of an equaled career in the NFL just dropped some 90%.

If I was an owner/GM/head coach, a Heisman trophy recipient would instantly be scratched off my draft board.

9. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    I have to disagree, Smith was going to bottom out eventually. He has got plenty of chances he just isn't very good.

10. BlameItOnTheHenne

BlameItOnTheHenne Taking a poop

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    Good college players don't always translate to the NFL. It's a different game.

BuckeyeKing likes this.
  11. P h i N s A N i T y

P h i N s A N i T y My Porpoise in Life

Apr 19, 2012
    Treasure Coast, FL

Ingram has played well ? Bradford "exceedingly well" ? and Crabtree is a total and complete dissapointment? have you been watching ? No one would know who Flacco is if Troy Smith was somebody else ? WTF ? I guess i should expect this from a Fireland Campaigner.

12. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    I'd say Speed is the biggest issue for players to adjust to when they get to the next level.

BlameItOnTheHenne likes this.