1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Heat is on in South Florida

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by dolfan22, Aug 27, 2012.

1. dolfan22

dolfan22 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

And not the BB team , this is pretty scathing article by Dave Hyde.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/...ight-on-jeff-ireland-20120827,0,4159278.story

Joe Philbin said louder than anyone he doesn’t like Jeff Ireland’s personnel decisions. Vontae Davis was the No. 1 pick in 2009 and Brandon Marshall came for the richest guarantee in team history and two second-round picks. Throw in the head-scratching decision of bringing in Chad Johnson to begin with and Philbin has wanted nothing to do with some of Ireland's biggest decisions even at the expense of making large holes on his roster.

So we’re back to where this franchise has been for a while: Will Ireland be around to use the draft picks he’s accumulated? The Dolphins have seven picks in the top 70 next season – a No. 1, two No. 2’s and two No. 3’s. And the No. 1 will be a great pick because this year’s record won’t be.

The personnel guy is the most important in any franchise. The question, once again, if Ireland would be allowed to rebuild on his failed rebuilding, especially when the new coach has called him out.

Stay tuned , something tells me the drama may not be on the field this season.

2. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    Wonder if Ross figures out that the new coach, doesn't want much to do with or really respects the GM's moves.....

Interesting dynamic...

Boik14 likes this.
  3. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Well, with VD's departure, that closes the books on the 08 and 09 drafts, we have Long, SS, Clemons to show for them.

Fellas, that is what the "wait 3 yrs" stuff tends to produce, if we are as dreadful as I suspect we will be, Ireland had better have some magic ginger voodoo saved up to survive as "daddy" Parcells is no longer here to take the blame.

Adam Strange, Rick 1966 and smahtaz like this.
  4. JDelenne

JDelenne Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    When did Philbin call out Jeff Ireland about personnel moves?

dolfan7171, CWBIII, Tone_E and 4 others like this.
  5. xphinfanx

xphinfanx Stay strong my friends.

Nov 1, 2009
    Nice quote but where does Philbin say this I'm not finding that? Is there a clip?

Make believe heat?

6. Phin

Phin New Member

Aug 27, 2012
    When did Philbin say that he doesn't like Ireland's decisions?

xphinfanx likes this.
  7. Phin

Phin New Member

Aug 27, 2012
    It seems like I'm not the only one who caught that.

xphinfanx likes this.
  8. dolfan22

I take that as Philbin wanting Marshall out and by demoting and chastising Vonte and the Chad Johnson decision , I believe Hyde is linking those together as an indictment on Ireland's player decisions.

If/when Philbin doesn't want a player Hyde is saying that player is gone and that his actions have shown he isn't in agreement with Ireland on at least those three players, , it is by his actions he is saying that , as per Hyde's statement imo.

9. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    well i think what they mean is he didn´t like the moves ireland made in the past, this is why marshall, davis and johnson are gone now

Rick 1966 and Larry Little like this.
  10. xphinfanx

Nov 1, 2009
    What drama the team is trying to portray a winning culture by extracting drinking, laziness, ect, and want professionalism? Standing behind it and showing the young guys by example what to expect?

With the best draft picks in the top for next season atm than in years. No drama they are on the same page. Win this year I'm afraid not but they are building what could be a nice future.

11. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    This is why I'm tired of sports writers, this:

...is stated as fact, when it probably isn't. If it is fact, he did nothing to prove it. He made an assumption and going forward treated that assumption as fact. Dave Hyde is doing his best Skip Bayless impression here.

CWBIII likes this.
  12. Phin

Phin New Member

Aug 27, 2012
    So why is everybody yelling at Ireland for the cutting of CJ and the trading of Marshall and VD?

A GM drafts, trades for, cuts, and signs who the coaches want for their scheme. Philbin, Sherman, and Coyle know who and what types of players they want for their team. It's Irelands job to find them and sign them. If Ireland, Sparano, and Nolan wanted a Marshall and VD they got them. Yes, CJ was brought in with a very short leash. Did Philbin tell Ireland he needed a veteran WR? Did Ireland mention CJ? Did Philbin say he'd work out, but only if he follows my lead? did CJ work out?

Look, I just find it hard to believe that Ireland does all the hiring and firing of players without talking to the coaches first. Ax that last statement. I will not believe that Ireland doesn't consult with and get the opinions of the coaches before he signs, cuts, or trades a player.

13. BigDogsHunt

BigDogsHunt Enough talk...prove it!

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    How about reality....Philbin has not TRADED a single player since being named HC.

Now, Ireland you could argue, didnt love his past moves - that while they were made to solve problems/holes in the past - but now in talking with Philbin, also knew and agreed that a change was in order to solve current problems and prepare for future needs as HC agrees.

sheesh...facts and reality tell you that Ireland made moves to acquire Marshall to fill a need, then shipped him to plan for future direction, same with VD. So be it.

Disnardo likes this.
  14. xphinfanx

Nov 1, 2009
    That's alot of assuming.

15. Phin

Phin New Member

Aug 27, 2012
    Both VD and Marshall were both traded while Philbin was HC. Do you know for a fact that Philbin had no say in that?

16. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Didn't someone write a thread asking a very similar question yesterday? :shifty:

17. BigDogsHunt

BigDogsHunt Enough talk...prove it!

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Ireland is the only GM on the team to ok the deal and send it to the NFL FO to execute it....

I would expect that Philbin was consulted on thoughts and needs....would always hope GM and HC talk about such things.

18. dolfan22

?

Presume / assume ... I didn't write the article , tell us how you interpret it then. He is a writer and giving his opinion on the dynamics of this team , this latest move MAY be positive , but judging from past records it isn't an odds on favourite to be so . I don't see it as a stretch to write that Philbin hasn't liked some of Ireland's MAJOR player acquisitions .

Dtronic likes this.
  19. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Try not to hurt yourself patting yourself on the back, Mr. Hyde.

:lol:

shula_guy, padre31 and MonstBlitz like this.
  20. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Come on guys, he's obviously not claiming Philbin has literally shouted down Ireland's personnel decisions.

It's simply implied by the exodus of players from the team (per Hyde).

As case of actions speaking loud(er than words).

21. xphinfanx

Nov 1, 2009
    I thought you wrote this.
    Beat reporting from speculating what is not fact just blurting crap of the top of his head very disappointing and un professional. :crapstrom: My Hyde meter just dropped dramatically.

Edit: By no means am i saying I like trading Vonte, or Marshall it is what it is but class from some of the beat writers is a joke.

Maybe i misunderstand.

dolfan22 likes this.
  22. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    My secret identity has been exposed! I test all my articles out on ThePhins!

Kidding obviously. I'm sure Mr. Hyde does not want to even jokingly be associated with some of my drunken rants in the soapbox forum... :lol:

23. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    and where did i mention he did the trading and cutting on his own without talking to philbin about it ?

24. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Was Hartline cut?

25. Sethdaddy8

Sethdaddy8 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    its stated as reality.

26. xphinfanx

Nov 1, 2009
    Dan Carpenter?

27. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

He was a UDFA. Padre was talking about drafts only, I think.

28. PSG

PSG Clear Eyes. Full Hearts.

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    Yeah, I don't think Hyde was trying state anything as fact. He was just reading the tea leaves and making an educated guess.
    But it does bring up a bigger question, IMO.
    IF Philbin is not enamored with the Ireland as GM, could we see a power struggle at the top of the food chain between Ireland and Philbin? And who would Ross side with?
    Either he sides with the HC and Philbin then handpicks his new GM, or Ross yet again sides with Ireland and we're back to square one with Ireland trying to find another new HC.

29. xphinfanx

Nov 1, 2009
    Yes he was but he did stick on the roster so far, even though 2008 was a few years back.

30. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I'm certain you made a point some how, I just missed it. Please explain.

31. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Its a pretty silly standard to expect a brand new coach to be on board with every player already on the team. The reality is that any time a coaching switch is made, there will be players that don't fit. In this case I'm not even sure you can say that Philbin wasn't a fan of Vontae Davis, rather he just didn't think he was better than Smith and Marshall.

xphinfanx and Fin D like this.
  32. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    The point is, if you had an 8 inch gash across your gut, you wouldn't dress or stitch it. You would let it bleed out.

33. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Oooooook.

So you're just not interested in debate or discussion, just *****ing, moaning and ranting.

Good news there's a forum for that. Bad news this isn't it.

34. DrAstroZoom

DrAstroZoom Canary in a Coal Mine Luxury Box

Jan 8, 2008
    Springfield, Ill.
    Interesting. I make the OPPOSITE argument in the front-page column I just posted. Seems like Philblin and Ireland are working together, with Philbin having a strong voice.

Disnardo likes this.
  35. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    Why debate your redundant "thats not a fact" opinion. we've already been there. The reality is Philbin thinks a lot of Irish's top shelf acquisitions stunk, and had them shipped off. You don't think its a fact tho. But its the reality. Whats there to discuss. We traded off one of our best defensive players, at a very difficult position to replace, where we are thin.

36. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Lol. Ok nabo..er Seth whatever you say.

According to you guys Ireland made every personnel decision on the team since he's been here and then you say Philbin jettisoned 3 of them, so now Philbin HATES ALL THE PLAYERS IRELAND BROUGHT IN. Lol.

Oh and that makes the second Ireland hater that has basically said facts aren't important. Odd.

37. PSG

PSG Clear Eyes. Full Hearts.

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    He probably doesn't hate all of them.
    But it certainly appears he wasn't very fond of at least 3 of them.

38. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    He wasn't fond of one of them, Marshall.

Chad Johnson was fine until he screwed up with the law. Indy came with a great offer on Davis. I don't think its deeper than that and other than Hyde making things up, I've seen nothing to say otherwise.

39. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    Nab actually liked the move. I hate it. We trade one of our most talented players, when we are already terrible. I mean, have you not seen the product we put on the field the first 3 games?

40. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Yeah, I saw our 1st string almost beat Atlanta's first string if not for a rare dropped TD by Fasano. What did you see?