1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Have you been to Kauai?

Discussion in 'Questions and Answers' started by bigbry, Oct 22, 2009.

Tags:
  1. bigbry

bigbry Huge Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Colorado
    If so, please tell me where you stayed, what time of year, and if you would stay there again.
    Thanks!

2. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Yes
    Aug
    Princeville
    I have a timeshare in Kapaa so I that's where I will stay next time :up:

What are you looking for Bry?
    The island is very diverse.
    Princeville is secluded and quiet.
    Kapaa is more people and even a McDonalds.

3. bigbry

bigbry Huge Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Colorado
    Secluded and quiet.
    I've been leaning towards the North shore(Princeville) however the hotels on the East shore(Kapaa) seem to be more affordable. Is the North shore worth it?
    We also want to take a helicopter tour of the island.
    Any help/advise is greatly appreciated.
    Ive probably done 50 virtual tours of hotels and they all seem to be the same, you know what I mean.

4. azfinfanmang

Nov 23, 2007
    Princeville is indeed very very nice. Its quiet. Its small and it is indeed secluded. If you continue around the end up at the famous Beach of Hanolia Bay...where of course some pot smokers sang about Puff the Magic Dragon back in the day. Incredible beach, you can swim out 50 or 60 feet from the beach and still see the ocean floor...incredible.

Kapaa is a bit busier, but truth is, none of the Island is REAL busy or congested. I seem to think the drive from Princeville to the Airport was about 30-40 minutes, which is approx ....what 1/2 around the Island.

I would strongly suggest a Luai. We did the Smith Family, which is a strange name for it, but it was very very authentic and loads of fun. There is also a boat ride prior you can sign up for.

I will add more in this thread as I think of it.

One thing we found in Princeville is there is a little store there. You want to sign up for the good guy discount card the first day you go in there. It will start paying dividends immediately.

5. bigbry

bigbry Huge Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Colorado
    Kool.
    The swim you discribed is exactly what we want.
    Heres a link to the Smith Family..
    http://www.smithskauai.com/luau.html
    Sounds like fun.
    Thanks for the tip on the discount card :up:

6. bigbry

bigbry Huge Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Colorado
    Did you stay at a Hotel in Princeville? Would you recommend it?

here is one that seems right.

http://www.hcr.com/

they say an oceanfront room is 10-15 ft. from the beach.

7. azfinfanmang

Nov 23, 2007
    Have fun bro, and look for the little out of the way places.

People there are incredibly polite and have a really great perspective of how lucky they are to live there.

Also, if you are up for a hike, there is a trailhead, I believe a little West and due south of Princeville. It will take you to some Falls, but its more than just a little walk I believe.
    Get ready to REALLY enjoy pineapple. For whatever reason, the PA you get on the island is nothing close to anything I had ever eaten before. Delectable, especially with Rum :up:

8. azfinfanmang

Nov 23, 2007
    We actually stayed in a timeshare in PV.
    That must be in Hanolia as Princeville is up on cliffs that over looks the Ocean.
    There is a REALLY nice resort in PV, but I think its probably pretty spendy.

Hanolia Bay (which is where that incredible beach is) is maybe 5 mins from PV by car, and there is a small boardwalk with several resturaunts and such. Just don't think Cali or NY boardwalk, this is really small.

Either PV or HB would probably be ideal places to stay

9. bigbry

bigbry Huge Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Colorado
    Thanks for all the info.

10. bigbry

bigbry Huge Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Colorado
    UPDATE: azmang, We decided to go off the grid basically. I found a site that connects private party homeowners to to someone like me.
    Here is the link.

http://www.vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/usa/hawaii/kauai

Pick an area and find your niche. Went with a place on the North Shore. Secluded yet way simple walking distance to some great beaches. Small cozy and quiet. Funny thing is its pretty darn close to the places I was thinking about. We will be walking right by them and saving a ton of dough. :yes:

Thank You again for your help and if anyone else is interested definitely check out the link. After reading a few hundred reviews I think its all somewhat a shot in the dark.(yeah I can read) lol
    book um Dano