1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Have The Jets Made You Hate The Pats Less?

Discussion in 'AFC East Rivals' started by Bpk, May 12, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

A couple of years ago, just the mention of the Patrits team, or the sight of them on TV pissed me off. I hated them. I hated their smugness, their greatness, and also their smug greatness. (Teddy Bruschi - Poster Boy of Smug)

But today, as we discussed Tom Brady in another thread, we all expressed respect and support for Tom's decision to put family first. We lauded him as a great QB who'd earned it, etc.

And it occurred to me that as a fanbase, Dolphins fans hate the Pats less now.

Is it because they stopped winning Superbowls? Maybe.

I think it's because of how antagonistic Rex Ryan's Jets team has been towards us. That rivalry has really heated up. I care a lot more about beating the Jets than the Pats now, just to shut their boastful team up.

So what do you think? Have the Jets become the villain? Are the Pats still able to make your heart seethe? Do you get an immediate hate on for them or is it kind milder now? Something you have to actually work up?

54Fins and Fin-Omenal like this.
  2. LandShark13

LandShark13 New Member

Oct 20, 2009
    North Miami
    I think anyone, like me, who grew up in Miami will always hate the Jets the most. To many loud mouthed Jets fans in our classes growing up and at our home games. Hell growing up (I'm 46) you couldn't find a Pats fan. Even at the games you might see one or two at the Orange Bowl but other than that you never heard of anyone rooting for the Pats. Even at their home games they always seemed to be out numbered.

So no for me the Jets will always be my most hated team. Hell, buffalo is still up there as well.

[​IMG]

3. Bpk

I got into the Buffalo rivalry early because I lived in Toronto, near Buff. A lot of Jills fans, man. lol.

Still, I disliked the Pats the most in the early 2000s.

Tone_E likes this.
  4. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    I think the fanbase tends to obsess about the Jets a little bit too much. I personally have a deep hatred for them but my hatred runs equally. Believe it or not I still hate the Bills just as much as I do the Jets and my hatred is also equal for the Patriots. I still hate the Colts from when they were in the division. Actually I hate every other NFL team except the Dolphins but the Jets, Pats, and Bills can all go to hell. I don't like the teams or their fans. In fact if Osama Bin Laden were to toss a big bag of anthrax into a Jets/Pats game or a Bills/ Pats game or a Jets /Bills game I wouldn't be at all upset :lol: I have zero respect for Brady and his team they can get bent so can Rex and his Jets and those fux up in western NY. What exactly is a Bill any way and who has a mascot that is a city.I still don't understand the over fascination that Dolphin fans have for rex ryan. Sometimes Miami fans would rather talk about him than their own team. I think those people have a secret crush on him and are afraid to admit it. You know the ones who go around calling him fat or make horrible rex is a whale jokes or have him in their sig to make fun of him. only a moron puts rex in their sig. or any of our other rivals in their sig or avatar as a joke because they aren't funny just foolish and unnecessary. I bet you are glad you asked.

Bpk likes this.
  5. LandShark13

LandShark13 New Member

Oct 20, 2009
    North Miami

Even on our forums. Not just this one but all the major Dolphin forums we get a pant load of jets fans coming over and running their mouths. Ya we get some Bills and Jets fans too but if you combined the later they still would be out numbered by Jets fans.

Bpk likes this.
  6. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    Its always been the Jets for me who would take our players and beat us with them and we would take Ray Lucas....(YAKS IN MOUTH)

Not to mention its just miserable watching a Jet game on TV.....

And the loud mouth lard a-- new coach sure doesnt help matters.

Jets hands down.

Bpk and LandShark13 like this.
  7. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    ive always hated the jets and buffalo more.
    I actually was "ok" with the pats till the whole camera thing and the running up the scores in that 17-0 season.
    But either way I'm not going to pretend brady's a ****ty qb. I think he's earned the right to be called a good qb and bb has earned the right to be called a good coach. Doesn't mean I won't say **** em when it comes down to it though....

Bpk likes this.
  8. Bpk

I think they repaid that karmic debt with Pennington and a division title. ;) lol.

Yeah, something about the Jets fans and org's demeanor rubs people wrong.

Fin-Omenal likes this.
  9. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I'll tell the story I was always tell. Jets vs Jags on a nationally televised playoff game, in the Meadowlands. Halftime, the NFL trots out the finalists for the Punt, Pass & Kick program. A bunch of kids each wearing an NFL team jersey, that I doubt the kids got to pick. One of them wore a Jags jersey. He was booed by 70,000 d-bags live on TV on the biggest day of his life. That is the low class type of craptacular dirt bag that is your average Jets fan. There's a reason they all get together and like the same team. F-the Jets. F-their fans. May they rot in hell.

10. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008

Oh yea I seemed to forget about that....thanks fellas. :up:

Bpk likes this.
  11. Tone_E

Tone_E Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    Tell me about it, I still have to live with them.

I'd say I hate them all equally now, and the threshold for hatred is pretty high. But, then there is that variable "extra" hatred that you mention.

Last year it was the Jets, years before that the Pats. This year, I might just tell myself to hate them all with that extra variable hatred (not variable anymore I guess) and see how that goes. :lol:

Bpk likes this.
  12. Bpk

I'd stop short of calling them names, but I'm sure glad they let penny go!

Fin-Omenal likes this.
  13. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    True.

Fixed.

Bpk likes this.
  14. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    If you live in SoFla, the hatred for the Jets outweighs all other teams combined. It's mainly because of their fans. When I was a kid, before I'd ever been to a Dolphins/Jets game, I didn't care about them one way or another. I think I was 10, and went to see the Phins vs. Jets at Joe Robbie. Dan Marino was QB, and the Dolphins beat the Testeverde-less Jets after Glenn Foley threw an interception with a couple minutes to play.

The trash talk, fights, and downright mayhem that ensued during that game changed my whole perspective on the rivalry and sports culture forever. When you're a kid, you don't understand the dynamic of: (Mostly) Italian, arrogant New York/New Jersey transplants vs. Native Floridians.

What makes the rivalry so great, much like the Red Sox/Yankees rivalry - which is an Italian vs. Irish rivalry as much as it is a baseball one - is that it goes beyond football and the cultural differences between the two fan bases is as prevalent as the football differences.

As someone else said, you couldn't find a Patriots fan before 2000. I remember going to a Pats/Phins game in the early 90's and you couldn't spot a single one. They knew to keep their mouths shut when they were bad, same as the Bills. But the Jets, like the cockroaches they are, were the loudest, most arrogant fans in the stadium. Nevermind they were horrible. They didn't care. They were the band on the Titanic that kept playing even though the ship was sinking. I will always hate them. And they will hate me. And I wouldn't have it any other way.

I could write a book about how much I hate that team and their fans, but I'll just leave it at this one chapter.

15. Bpk

LOL!!!!!

"Fellas"

LOL.

Fin-Omenal likes this.
  16. Bpk

Your sig kinda says it all....

HardKoreXXX likes this.
  17. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Even without the context it's pure gold.

Bpk likes this.
  18. JDelenne

JDelenne Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    I've ALWAYS hated the Jets more than either the Pats or Bills and even the Colts. When I was a kid maybe 9 or 10 right when I was really starting to watch football on a constant basis my dad took me to a Dolphins/Jets game. I think this was during the stretch where the Jets beat us like 8 or 9 games in a row. It was Probably one of the worst experiences of my life. Not only did the dolphins lose but the fans were ruthless even one pouring his beer on me. All which led to my eternal hate for all things New York. The Jets, Yankees, and Mets can all go to hell. Though I kinda like the Giants.

Edit: To actually answer the question No. I still hate the Pats the same as I always have but the Jets just are on another level.

Bpk and MikeHoncho like this.
  19. Pagan

Pagan Metal & a Mustang

Mar 22, 2008
    Newburgh, NY
    Hey don't lump ALL us New Yorkers in there! :lol:

It's easily the Jets. No contest. They haven't won DICK since 1969, yet still possess the cockiest fan base on earth.

They NEVER lose a game according to their fans. They ALWAYS "beat themselves" or "let the game slip away". The delusion would be laughable if it wasn't so irritating.

And JT was right about them, they take the "CL" out of "class". I mean really, what other stadium in the country had a section where unshaven, fat New Jersey Sopranos wannabes would stand and demand that women passing by remove their shirts?

I used to go to the Dolphin games at that ****hole of a stadium, that is until the classy fans started seeing my Phins jersey and loudly beckoning my wife to come to them and **** a "real man".

Interesting how only a Jet fan would think - as he was standing there in a sausage fest with a bunch of his buddies - that he was "more of a man" than the guy walking with the hot blonde.

Bottom line, the Jets and their fans have always been the lowest common denominator. Look at this offseason, they jettison the classiest guy on the team (Jones) and sign a washed up malcontent.

As Fin D said...may they rot in hell. Too bad I don't believe in hell, cause I'd surely love to see the Jets and their fans cornholed on a daily basis by Satan's barbed pole.

phineas64, Merauder, Fin D and 2 others like this.
  20. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    New Yorker Dolphins fans who actually LIVE in New York are ok in my book. Although I'm keeping an eye on you. :shifty:

Pagan, Fin D and Bpk like this.
  21. Bpk

Wow.

Tell us how you really feel, Pagan.

Then, please post a pic of your wife for us. lol.

(see, Dolphins fans can be crass too... we just do it so politely you almost miss it)

22. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008

Wow, I guess editing my earlier post wasnt necessary BPK.:pointlol:

Bpk likes this.
  23. Roman529

Roman529 Senior Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I hate both teams....I hated the Pats because they were winning a lot early last decade and had some really smug players (Harrison, Bruschi, Light, etc.) and the Jets mainly because of their idiot fans.

Bpk likes this.
  24. PS17

PS17 NYJ 2010!!!

Jun 20, 2009
    NYC
    Wait. LT is a malcontent? I'll grant the washed up part, until proven otherwise, but I think he'll be effective in his third down role here behind this offensive line.

And Thomas Jones was due 5.8 million this year; no brainer to cut him loose [32 y/o by the way]. He was a product of the line, without a doubt, not vise versa. Shonn Greene is clearly the future.

Now onto the topic at hand...

Before '08, I hated the Pats more than anyone. When I first signed up at JN in October of '08, I chose "PS17" as my user name. Patriots Suck 17 (my fav. number).

Since then, my hatred has shifted. The Pats kinda suck now, as they haven't won a playoff game in 2 years [neither have the Dolphins :lol:], but the Phins have caused me much more grief in that time span. I was at the week 17 debacle where Miami won the division. So ****ing painful.

Then last year was almost as bad. ****ing Ted Ginn.

Anyway, I hate the Dolphins more now. The rivalry is 100% back. I think Jets-Dolphins is the premier rivalry in the division.

LandShark13, Pagan and Fin-Omenal like this.
  25. PS17

PS17 NYJ 2010!!!

Jun 20, 2009
    NYC
    Leodis McKelvin is such a dumbass.

26. PS17

PS17 NYJ 2010!!!

Jun 20, 2009
    NYC
    As a Jets fan, I can relate my friend.

Wagon Circler likes this.
  27. Pagan

Pagan Metal & a Mustang

Mar 22, 2008
    Newburgh, NY
    Seek and ye shall find, my friend. To quote Forrest Gump, "That's all I have to say about that...." :tongue2:

28. 54Fins

54Fins "In Gase we trust"

Nov 29, 2007
    over there
    I'm Jersey,born and bread and have been a Dolphins fan since before Namath wore pantyhose,before their scum team touched Jersey soil and before any of my relatives became Jets fans.
    They are the villains,always have been,never changed IMHO.
    This "renewed" rivalry is because Rex made it that way again,which I don't mind.
    We will continue to out play them on the field and out smart them on the sidelines.Only thing that matters to me.

29. Pagan

Pagan Metal & a Mustang

Mar 22, 2008
    Newburgh, NY
    Yes indeed....Greene is the future. Carried the ball all of 108 times and he's the future. Lost three fumbles in that span and scored 2 TDs and he's the future.

Of course...no brainer to cut Jones and his 1,400 yards, NO lost fumbles and 14 TDs in 331 carries.

No brainer to cut that kind of production to save $5 mil, then sign a guy ONE year younger who had HALF the yardage for about the same price.

Oh yea...and yes...malcontent. He's been crying the Chargers didn't use him enough and that's why his stats were down. Think he's gunna sit calmly and watch Greene carry the load? :lol:

Typical Jet moves. :D

Fin D likes this.
  30. PS17

PS17 NYJ 2010!!!

Jun 20, 2009
    NYC
    Actually, yes, he will sit calmly and watch Greene carry the load. There is no reason to think otherwise. He has publicly stated that he just wants a Super Bowl. He doesn't care how much playing time he gets and he has acknowledged that Greene is the starter. He is not a malcontent at all. Find me one teammate of his from his years in SD that said something bad about him in the locker room.

You list Jones' numbers, and yes, they were great. However, nothing jumps out at you about his game, other than the fact that he doesn't get injured, and he doesn't fumble. He does nothing exceptionally well as a RB, and this is why I keep coming back to him being a product of the offensive line. No breakaway speed, he never breaks tackles, no moves, and dances around in the backfield and does not hit the hole hard. He was noticeably slower at the end of the year, and was abysmal in the playoffs. Like, really bad - 2.6 ypc. And he's 32.

31. Pagan

Pagan Metal & a Mustang

Mar 22, 2008
    Newburgh, NY
    [​IMG]

:D

Zeke0123, Fin D and PS17 like this.
  32. Merauder

Merauder Perseverance

Dec 16, 2009
    Fort Lauderdale
    I hate both teams with a passion, but I would say that I hate the Jets more. With the Patriots, I think I hate their players and coach more than their bandwagon fans. Dont get me wrong.... a lot of Patriots fans are arrogant douchebags. But the Jets fanbase takes the cake. Not to mention that the bandwagon filled up overnight. The difference between the Dolphins and these teams.......A)Miami has a coach that isn't an arrogant piece of trash or a cheater. B)Miami has a fanbase that has stood by the team through thick and thin, and actually knows the teams history. Most Patriots fans were not around before 2000. That is a fact. Ask a random Jets fan what year they won the championship and most can't even tell you. Or who the QB's were during the 80's and 90's. Miami fans don't pour beer on 7 year old kids either.

LandShark13 likes this.
  33. steveincolorado

steveincolorado Spook, Storme & Pebbles

Mar 23, 2008
    Colorado
    I've always hated the Jest more than anything in the world.

LandShark13 likes this.
  34. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Absolutely.

I still hate the Pats though...

35. SeanP

SeanP Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Deltona FL
    Jets, hands down.

For me it's more the fact that I've only met a handful of obnoxious, ignorant Patriots fans who seriously know nothing about football (mostly the bandwagons). However Jets fans... oh man, aside from a couple members of my family, it's impossible to have a conversation with them. I've never met so many people who were drinking the kool-aid. The players have no humility, the fans have no humility, and now even the coach has no humility. It blows my mind.

That's not to say all the fans are like that, but thats the "New York Swagger" that I could seriously watch crash and burn every year even if it meant the Dolphins did the same.

I mean I hate the Patriots too, but thats for different reasons. My hatred of them more stemmed from everyone acting like the sun shines out of Tom Brady's ***. The Sports announcers practically acted like he was the second coming of Christ for that 2-3 year span there. He's a great QB, don't get me wrong, top 5 for sure. But I've always felt that the talent around him made him bigger than he really was.

Anyways, thats my rant. Jets are more hated than the Pats. That's never changed, and it will never change.

36. Coral Reefer

Coral Reefer Premium Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Back in Miami
    I have always hated the Jets.

Having spent most of my years growing up in Miami surrounded by douchebag, loud mouthed, illiterate and rude NY'ers it wasn't even the team itself that fueled the hate.

It's the fans.

I hate the Pats as well.
    Cant stand to watch any game the Pats or Jets are in if they are winning.

My hate for the Jets though...... I'd rather the Pats win 5 more Super Bowls than the Jets to win just 1

Fin D, Pagan, Merauder and 1 other person like this.
  37. Zeke0123

Zeke0123 message board ******* Club Member

Nov 22, 2007
    The Patriots have always been a blip on my "Hate" radar..I knew eventually Tom Brady would decline and they would sink back into the pack eventually and the "dynasty" that never dominated pissed me off as well but that is NOTHING compared to the deep seeded hatred I feel for the pests and their arrogant without reason fan base...the fact that most if not all feel they have a "superior" franchise is laughable since by every measurable means we are much better.. Superbowls Hall of Famers divisions titles regular season record etc etc.

38. Zeke0123

Zeke0123 message board ******* Club Member

Nov 22, 2007
    and Ill NEVER forgive them for ruining Dwight Stephensons career.

Pagan likes this.
  39. Phinvader Bill

Phinvader Bill The all new Mr. Event

May 1, 2009
    Columbia, SC
    yes

40. LandShark13

LandShark13 New Member

Oct 20, 2009
    North Miami
    Not really. I have always hated the Jets this much.

41. High Definition

High Definition No Smoke / No Drink 2011+

Nov 26, 2007
    South Beach
    Actually, the Pats have made me hate the Jets less.

As a child I was raised to believe the Jets were the devil. They are no longer my most hated team even. I really, really hate the Patriots and 98% their fans. (I left 2% open so that anyone who takes it offensive can place themselves in that percentage... I've never personally met a Patriots fan that I didn't instantly want to deck in the mouth, aside from women & children)

unluckyluciano likes this.
  42. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    you're so diplomatic

High Definition likes this.