1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hartline: Too early to say if Tannehill is a franchise QB

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Serpico Jones, Jan 15, 2015.

1. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I don't think it does. I think the expected points type metrics are more representative. In this link http://espn.go.com/nfl/qbr/_/sort/cwepaTotal Tannehill was 13th. In Football Outsiders DYAR (DYAR is a meaure of a quarterback's total value), Tannehill was 12th. http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/qb I believe that is reflective of about how Tannehill played over the whole season. And going forward I believe he is a top 10 guy. After the first three games where there was the expected install struggles, Tannehill's performance had a significant jump and basically stayed there for the balance of the season. He dropped a bit when the OL injuries hit, but still was decent. He was and remained a top 10 guy from the 4th game on. So going forward, assuming the same system, I see that as a reasonable expectation for him. If you look at the comparisons in both of those links, you'll see he's about the same level as Russel Wilson. I happen to believe that Wilson is a very good QB, but I think he's also benefited greatly from his supporting cast. I think that Wilson's success is about what we would see from Tannehill if he had a similarly talented supporting cast.

smahtaz, VManis, speed and 3 others like this.
  2. speed

speed Banned

Oct 14, 2014
    QBR is a joke stat. Anybody who knows anything about football dismisses it.

Except haters.

Boik14 likes this.
  3. speed

speed Banned

Oct 14, 2014
    Roy Miami is running the same crap at Finheaven. Didn't even come up with it.

[​IMG]

4. Piston Honda

Piston Honda Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2014
    Sorry, but the only way to accurately grade QBs is to turn on the film. Everything else is cliff notes and guesswork.

speed likes this.
  5. speed

speed Banned

Oct 14, 2014

Yes. Opening your eyes actually works!

6. RhodyPhinsFan

RhodyPhinsFan New Member

Jul 27, 2014
    I'm not saying anything. Hartline would probably get cut, then be signed by the Patriots and average 95 receptions a year for about eight yards a piece from Brady for the next three years.

dolphin25 likes this.
  7. DcDolfan420

DcDolfan420 Banned

Jan 5, 2015
    I hate your name but I agree our fan base gets butt hurt too easily. Thin skin. With my mouth, I shoulda been an iggles fan, they some real mo fos. Check out bleedinggreennation sometime, they've even got a dank radio station too if your a real football geek.

Marino1385 likes this.
  8. LI phinfan

LI phinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 6, 2013
    I think the real problem is not that you think Tannehill sucks or is a choke artist, it is that, coupled with your name(IMO, a bit much) and then a blanket statement without any reason, you come off a bit trollish. I think fans are used to comments from other Dolphin fans about this team and its players...really do not think many are still thin skinned.

9. shamegame13

shamegame13 Madison & Surtain

Dec 15, 2014
    Honestly, i'm cool with that type of banter, but it's not fit for fan forums as a lot people will take offense to such comments. If it was my website, it would be a free for all lol (then again, it's probably good its not my website)

Marino1385 likes this.
  10. DcDolfan420

DcDolfan420 Banned

Jan 5, 2015
    If u wanna talk real football smack, go to bleedinggreennation.com. Just try it, trust me.

shamegame13 likes this.
  11. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    We do strive to act like adults here. We do not always succeed, however it does make it so this place doesn't turn into a playground.

Boik14, Stringer Bell and LI phinfan like this.
  12. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    dude have your opinion, just don't insult those who differ, this is a board filled with a lot of intelligent folks, if they believe in ryan it doesn't make them a jock sniffer..

13. Marino1385

Marino1385 Banned

Jan 6, 2015
    While I respect your opinion.
    It kind of does make them one at this point... after three years... description fits.

Guess we will have to agree to disagree and respect each others opinions on this situation.

14. LI phinfan

LI phinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 6, 2013
    I will. I was trying to give you an answer as to why some people reacted to your post. Your username on ,what I think , is the best message board about the Dolphins, will foster some skeptimism from people...including myself. All good. I hope you were being sincere about the respect part.

15. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    I'm ok with that..

16. DcDolfan420

DcDolfan420 Banned

Jan 5, 2015
    But seriously though what is your plan? You do realize a team like the Philadelphia Eagles would probably cut off Chip's left nut to pry him from us. Do you understand how rare and valuable a tall, athletic, strong armed, durable QB is? They don't grow on trees to say the least lmfao. And that's not even talking about how much his stats have improved, and the fact he was a fricken wiz student. 2nd out of 230 at his H.S with a 4.0 to be precise.

17. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008

My "plan" is to wait around and see if he can develop into a top flight QB who can elevate his teams deep into the postseason on a consistent basis.

77FinFan and dolphin25 like this.
  18. DcDolfan420

DcDolfan420 Banned

Jan 5, 2015
    As is mine, so why put him down then? He's not perfect but most young QB's aren't. Do you understand how hard it is to find an elite "QB"? He ain't perfect but going forward we could be a lot worse at that position. We're LUCKY he is on our team, I guess your just a heck of a lot more pessimistic a fan than me.

19. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    I actually am pro Ryan. But that doesn't mean I have to be sworn in to some message board cult that forbids me to be critical of parts of his game that deserve criticism.

77FinFan and dolphin25 like this.
  20. DcDolfan420

DcDolfan420 Banned

Jan 5, 2015
    He deserves lots of criticism, but laughing about how he isn't a clutch player seems awfully jesty to me. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

21. bran

bran Senior Member

Dec 20, 2007
    New Hampshire
    [​IMG]

22. Vengeful Odin

Vengeful Odin Norse Mod

Dec 2, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    I think we've covered enough on this topic for the time being.

DPlus47 and Boik14 like this.
  23. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    lol that is horrible. I would take Tannehill over Cutler (talented but he's got zero leadership and he's a bigger choke artist then anyone on that list), Foles, Bridgewater, Schaub (what is this, 2007?), and probably Kaepernick and Stafford too. Kaepernick has regressed the last two years and Stafford has megatron and without him he's nothing special at all.

Alex Smith deserves more credit IMO. I'd put him on Tannehills level with Tannehill having more upside. There needs to be a list for "ascending" and "descending" qbs. For some of these players their best football is behind them. For some like Bridgewater and Bortles we don't know what they are besides being optimistic if you're a fan. I think they're both likely future pro bowl guys. That's just IMO.

77FinFan likes this.
  24. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    I've deleted about 20 posts worth of bs and trash talk. Keep it clean or you'll be taking a vacation.

25. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Hmmm, I've always manintained my stance that Ryan needs to show more but looks promising to do so...never have went through each QB and ranked them. Let's try it.

Obviously Better right now

Manning(s)
    Brady
    AROD
    Ben
    Flacco
    Rivers
    Luck
    Romo
    Brees
    Wilson
    Ryan

Arguable, but a notch better
    Stafford
    Newton

Flip a coin

CKap
    Foles
    Dalton

Better than everyone else

26. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    I'll take you to task on Matt Ryan, Matt Stafford, and Cam Newton. I think Ryan was right on their level this year if not better. He still needs work on his deep ball and pocket awareness but so do those other qbs you mentioned. I'll take him hands down over Foles C Krap and Ginger boy Dalton. I can make a better argument for Dalton being what holds his team back then you or anyone else can about Dalton being on Tannehills level. I can also make a damn good argument that SF traded the wrong Qb. Foles had a great year last year but regressed this past year. Not sure what he will become but so far he's been more inconsistent then Tannehill despite better coaching and a more friendly system.

resnor, cuchulainn and Piston Honda like this.
  27. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008

I think Stafford and Cam are certainly arguable, but I still think right now both are better. I know you will take issue with CKap for historic reasons, Reg Season Dalton is arguable but I take Ryan, Foles I could be convinced either way.

Really not seeing how Ryan is better than Matt Ryan at the moment, Matt is what I'm hoping Tanny becomes this year.

djphinfan likes this.
  28. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    If regular season Dalton is arguable then so is regular season Flacco. There is no dividing performance. Either they're better or their not. Flacco is better because he's shown he plays big in the biggest games. Andy Dalton is a game manager who can't game manage. He is modern Jay Fiedler. Tannehill has a 2:1 td/int ratio this year and a rock solid completion percentage despite one of the worst head coaches in the league. Part of this is because Bill Lazor is a hell of a coach and part is because the Shermanator was every bit as bad as Joe Philbin.

29. FinSane

FinSane Cynical Dolphins Fan

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    Can we just promote Lazor to HC already? sigh...

Fin-Omenal, Boik14 and resnor like this.
  30. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    I'll concede Dalton...:pointlol:

Boik14 likes this.
  31. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008

This isn't a Tanny bash but it's a lot easier to have that completion % and ratio when you rarely take shots at game changing plays. Just sayin

32. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    I see Tanny right below or right at Matt Ryan's level like you Boik. Get that deep ball issue fixed and he'll lurch ahead. You need quick strikes in this league to catch up and win sometimes. See that Russell Wilson TD pass to win in OT? Beaut.

Boik14 likes this.
  33. bran

bran Senior Member

Dec 20, 2007
    New Hampshire
    works for the patriots. brady and co blew out the colts by just throwing 4 or 5 routes pretty much the whole game P i agree the dolphins need to take shots during games i mean they were there to be had in the patriots game at the end of the year so i think it can be done, but to get better you have to do it and keep doing it.

34. 77FinFan

77FinFan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    Stop making sense.

Fin-Omenal likes this.
  35. 77FinFan

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    Regular season Flacco or playoffs Flacco. Two different birds.

36. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Who besides Wallace can actually get downfield and make a game changing play? Like I said his weakness is throwing downfield but you also have to have players to throw to.

37. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    I have my doubts that Wallace would have caught the ball that Kearse won that game on...

38. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Can you provide me with any evidence of this other than opinion? I want to believe your evaluation is fair, maybe I missed a play?

Link?

39. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Damien Williams

40. 77FinFan

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    Our RB? I like him. Think he can catch some balls, carry the rock a few times and hopefully become a good blitz picker-upper.