1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hartline-Camarillo one of Miami Dolphins' many starter battles

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by jim1, May 18, 2010.

1. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    By BARRY JACKSON
    bjackson@MiamiHerald.com
    With Dolphins practices resuming, multiple starting jobs are open -- including two at outside linebacker, likely one at defensive end, free safety and potentially cornerback if you believe Will Allen's vow to reclaim a starting job.

On offense, battles loom at guard and the receiver spot opposite Brandon Marshall; Greg Camarillo started every 2009 game but nobody would be shocked if Brian Hartline supplants him. (Davone Bess figures to have the same role as '09.) Ronnie Brown is the clear front-runner at running back over Ricky Williams, but nothing is assured.

Hartline is very clear: ``I want a starting spot and I want to go after it. That's the only goal until it's taken care of.'' Camarillo said starting is ``important because the best players start and you want to be the best player.''

One Dolphins person said the team views Hartline as a bigger, faster Camarillo. But Hartline must earn it. ``It will be a heck of a competition,'' ex-Dolphins receiver O.J. McDuffie said. ``I like Hartline's speed and toughness. But I think it might be Greg starting. People underestimate him.''

Read more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/05/18/1636045/hartline-camarillo-one-of-fins.html#ixzz0oKsEUgG5

DolfanCole, gafinfan and dolfan7171 like this.
  2. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Should be interesting but I'll give a close decision to Camarillo b/c Hartline has value as a ST guy and you dont want your KO team gunner to be your starting WR.

3. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    In that scenario if Cam starts and Hartline has ST value
    try brian as a PR. he made plays there in college
    scrappy and squirty with good speed
    why not really

4. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    What, no one picked up on a Scout intimating that John Jerry is a dimbulb and blows to many assignments?

Meaning Garner, Thomas, Berger, and Tsoumpas are further ahead of our #3 pick?

5. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    Of course they are ahead of Jerry....
    I'm putting my $ on Nate Garner

6. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Sounds good, Bess fumbled two too many times for me. I'd love for us to squeeze a KR/PR out of the WR corps, that'll free up a roster spot for an extra RB, QB, or OLB, we'll need them.

jdang307 likes this.
  7. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    All three G's can play, Nate G, Tsoumpas and DTrain, but a part of me thinks Donald Thomas takes that job and Nate G becomes the 7th active lineman due to his versatility.

8. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Right now I would say Marshall and Hartline are the starters. Bess in the slot and Cam as the 4th. Solid group of receivers right there.

late again likes this.
  9. dolfan7171

dolfan7171 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Arizona
    It will be a close battle. I think Hartline will win it. Although it is possible that Sparano may use them both at that position.

late again likes this.
  10. JDelenne

JDelenne Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    I have a soft spot in my heart for Cammy so I kinda want him to get the nod. Though if Hartline will give us better production then by all means.

11. mommabilly

mommabilly No riders allowed

May 3, 2010

Yes, to all you have typed. John Jerry is most certainly big and most certainly friendly but most certainly has big time problems in pass blocking.

There is no battel at RG, unless they move Cogs to LG, then there will be a battle at the RG spot in which, Jerry will lose. I do not see this kid starting at all. Scoring low on the wonderlic is not good for an Olineman. The Wonderlic is a kin to taking the ACT in opposed to taking an SAT. Would love to know his score. Cogs scored a 32. Anyone know the wonderlic scores ? Thanks in advance if you do.

12. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    jerry will develop w/the team, not start
    hartline has developed into a starter
    :yes:

13. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    with this team it really doesn't matter who is starting. They mix it up so damn much, non starters play more than starters.

Cam had a little less production than Bess but don't forget, Bess had his case of dropsies everyone tends to sweep under the floor, as well as fumbleitis. 4 drops and 6 fumbles, 3 lost. Some of them gamechangers.

I was really high and still am on Bess. I like Hawaii players because i think they're such underdogs as NFL players. However, I was pretty frustrated with him at times last year.

14. late again

late again Senior Member

Nov 24, 2007
    Yeah, but if Hartline is a "bigger faster" Camarillo, it would be absolutely absurd to start Camarillo over Hartline. You want your best players starting.
    You're suggesting just the opposite. Your scenario has us starting someone of lesser talent simply because the more talented WR is....well...more talented and versatile. Where is the logic?
    If Hartline is our 2nd best WR, and you don't want your starter playing ST, then it make more sense to find another gunner and allow Hartline to focus on being #2 WR.