1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Harbaugh's Flaw

Discussion in 'Other NFL' started by MrClean, Feb 5, 2013.

1. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

"Jim Harbaugh's overall body of work at Stanford and in San Francisco has been spectacular, but an identical gaffe has now cost his teams massive games at both stops. Harbaugh must correct this mistake to take the next step as a great head coach.

Toby Gerhart's final touch in 2009's Big Game resembled a bowling ball obliterating teetering pins, a 29-yard haul that put Stanford on the verge of stealing a massive contest late.

Frank Gore's last carry in Sunday's Super Bowl XLVII turned into a rumbling 33-yard dash that put his San Francisco 49ers team on the brink of the title-winning touchdown.

The parallels are uncanny. In both situations, head coach Jim Harbaugh never turned to his stud running back thereafter, suddenly shunning his team's massive physical advantage and relying instead on a first-year starting quarterback to daintily finish the job. In 2009, it was clear that California would not have stopped Gerhart, but redshirt freshman Andrew Luck threw two horribly designed passes instead, the last of which was intercepted to seal the game. Golden Bears 34, Cardinal 28.

History repeated itself in 2013 on a bigger stage. After a slow start, the 49ers were gashing the Ravens to the tune of eight yards per carry in the second half. Defensive bedrock Haloti Ngata, Baltimore's primary run stopper, was out with injury. Yet, after Gore's dominant run had fully exposed the Ravens' defense, Harbaugh never gave No. 21 the ball again. Instead, he took Colin Kaepernick -- making only his tenth career start -- out of his element, dialing up three consecutive low-percentage passing plays that removed San Francisco's biggest strengths from the equation. Ravens 34, 49ers 29, an otherwise spectacular drive left incomplete."

http://stanford.scout.com/2/1263901.html

Bpk, 305 and Fin D like this.
  2. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    He's not wrong.

3. gilv13

gilv13 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2009
    Harbaugh doesn't call the plays. Greg Roman does, who by the way has done a very good job this year in doing exactly that.

4. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I have just recently realized the awesome that is Arrested Development and am finishing up the final season.....but because of that I cannot read your posts without hearing them in Buster's voice.

5. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Yeah but Harbaugh hears the plays called, he can overrule them if he wanted to... and maybe he was doing that, remember the 49ers had to call timeout during that last set of downs because the play clock was about to run out. Was the delay due to the calls coming in late (it usually is). Harbaugh's a quarterback. Eventually it's going to come out that he wants his quarterback to win the game.

6. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Pretty sure the run/pass choice is Kaepernick's at the LOS. Balt was showing cover 0, so hard to fault him.

7. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

The 49ers had averaged 8 yards a carry in the 2nd half, and after Gore's run that got them to the 7, they suddenly abandon it. Maybe it was all on Roman making the calls, but I doubt he has complete autonomy on play calling. The Ravens best run stuffer was out, and the defense was tired and on it's heels.
    It appears other bay area writers are also questioning the strange play calls on the 49ers last series.
    http://www.mercurynews.com/sports/ci_22517953/super-bowl-2013-poole-jim-harbaugh-greg-roman

Bpk likes this.
  8. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Maybe he's a robot!!!

Fin D likes this.
  9. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I recall Kaepernick patting his helmet to indicate a fade route to Crabtree on the final play. Jimmy Smith recognized it and played it all the way. Kudos to him.

Bpk and unluckyluciano like this.
  10. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    that's a bad thing?

Fin D likes this.
  11. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    By the way, I could be wrong here, but I think SF has kicked the most or is near the top in field goals kicked in the red zone. That's not good unless you're Tony Sparano.

Bpk likes this.
  12. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    Ravens did an excellent job of reading what kaepernick was doing pre-snap and fooling him. A lot of times he'd check out of a run, then the 8th man would sprint out of the box at the last second. They also did a great job of reading his cadence.

unluckyluciano likes this.
  13. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008

I think Kaepernick struggles with anticipation throws, and that has a lot to with how he plays in the red zone.

14. Finfangirl

Finfangirl Season Ticket Holder Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Bay Area, Ca
    SFgate article said the play harbaugh called the timeout on was a read option and on the 3rd down play CK checked out of the run because of the coverage.

15. gilv13

gilv13 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2009
    It's ok, I do the same.

MikeHoncho and Fin D like this.
  16. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    Problem is CKap was married to throwing that pass regardless of the coverage, easy for me to say I know but Vernon Davis was wide open in the middle of the field.

17. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I was not complaining, merely pointing it out.

Besides...

I'm Gene Parmesan.

18. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Nice to meet you, I'm Wayne Jarvis and I'm a professional.

Fin D likes this.
  19. Jt0323

Jt0323 Fins Up! Luxury Box

Dec 7, 2007
    Las Vegas
    I think that TO really hurt them more then anything. I think the 5 yard penalty may have benefited them, And they would have had 45 seconds extra on the clock to get another chance in-case they failed

Hiruma78 likes this.
  20. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    That's true too.

Bpk likes this.
  21. 757Niner

757Niner Active Member

Jun 3, 2012
    Yea, CK said he audibled to the fade route to Crabs because he saw the blitz...

But I also believed they should've had CK under center and ran the ball on 2nd and 3rd down. We have too much diversity in our run game to be in the shotgun at the 5 yard line and call three consecutive passes. We havent been able to throw for TDs inside the 10 yard line ALL year. I think we've had one TD pass inside the 10 yard line and one 2pt conversion via the pass ALL year out of at least 60 attempts from that range...just not smart game management.

But honestly, you can't play your worst game of the year, as a team and expect to win the Super Bowl. You can't expect to play only half the game and win. We came back and made a valiant effort but you can't come out as unfocused and unprepared for the biggest game of the year as we did and expect to win. Would have been truly remarkable if we had, but just think if we could have played the entire game like we did the final quater and a half? The Ravens made more plays and less mistakes. They deserved it more than we did obviously.

22. 757Niner

757Niner Active Member

Jun 3, 2012
    Well they had one called. The 3rd down play in which they had to call a timeout. Its was a designed run by CK out of the pistol and from the replay, it looks they had it blocked to perfection and CK could have walked in. But he made a line adjustement at the last second and couldn't get the play off. They didn't want to go back to a run because they felt like they had tipped their hand. What could have been...

[​IMG]

23. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

This is why it irks me that players don't take it seriously enough when coaches harp on things like avoiding delay of game penalties, and picking up the pace in the huddle, out of the huddle and lining up.

Essentially, what you're saying is, the San Francisco 49ers are Superbowl Champions if your QB can get a play off without letting the play clock run down to zero and not noticing. I men, what a dumb, trivial way to lose a Superbowl (no offense. Because I actually wanted to see you guys score)

That sucks. But a great example of how a tiny detail makes a huge difference. A difference, literally, between winning or losing a Superbowl.

But that's the growing pains of a first time starting QB. I can't imagine how good CK will be after a few years of experience.

Fin-Omenal likes this.
  24. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Harbaugh has no flaws..

25. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    He now has 12 picks in the draft...it was a only a matter of time before the guy owns the league.

26. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    They're going to have 15 total -- three compensatory picks.

27. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Might want to give the GM some credit there, DJ.

unluckyluciano and Anonymous like this.
  28. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    your right stitch, I'm just scared of what that guy can make players do.

29. finfansince72

finfansince72 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    I thought the flaws were mostly in the first half, they played poorly, it showed a lot to me that Harbaugh was able to make some serious adjustments at the half and come out with that performance, they were a few yards from a title, it wasn't a choke or a blow out, they just came up a play short. He's a spectacular young coach, so is his brother.